PDA

View Full Version : Dating Vent

SpikeOtacon
Jan 17, 2004, 07:50 PM
As three of my fellow PSOW members are aware, I have a new girlfriend Miyu-Chan (melissa) and the two of us were going on a date to the mall today. Well...

THE DATE WAS RUINED!!!
Why, might you ask? BECAUSE MY EX SHOWED UP AND FUCKED UP EVERYTHING!
Ok, so things started off ok. Before we went to the arcades Melissa and I had some time to ourselfs. We went to suncoast (I bought FLCL and Cowboy Bebop Magna, she bought a DVD), PacSun (Her shoes) and waldenbooks. When we were in the bookstore, she was looking for a manga, and found it but was broke.
So we went to the arcade. And who else was there? Toya and 7 of her friends, playing DDR. I was pissed. For two hours we watched others play DDR, but niether Toya nor melissa said anything to me. So I got bored and melissa sugessted that I get some quarters. $20 in quarters later, I played a few rounds of Silent Scope. After totally pwning in that game, I left beating the high score. Toya and Melissa continued to talk with thier friends, and I felt really left out. I got stressed and told melissa that. She said that she was sorry about it but she didn't want everyone to be here. So I called my parents and told them to pick me up. I went back to the arcades, and after having toya annoy me some more (while playing Pump, a game similar to DDR), I left again.
After everything that happened, I had just enough to get melissa the manga she wanted. So I left the arcade, went to the bookstore, and bought her the manga. I went back there to get my stuff, and I told toya and her goodbye. I handed Melissa the book, and she smiled and said thanks and waved goodbye.
I hate Toya. She just HAD to fuck this up for me....
[/dating vent]

ABDUR101
Jan 17, 2004, 08:29 PM
Dood, you can't blame Toya for being at the arcade.

You went out on a date, thats fine, but you're bound to run into old friends and ex's, expecially if you date people in the same area, obviously.

So Toya was at the arcade, if it was a problem, you did'nt have to stay there, you could have walked around the mall and checked out other stores if it was going to be a problem, right?

You just gotta take stuff like that in stride and not get bent out of shape over it. Even when someone does it on purpose to piss you off.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 17, 2004, 08:41 PM
Ok, some background information.
Toya WORKS on weekends. Not at the mall, but a resturant 30 miles off. She didn't decide to take off until I told her that I was going out with Melissa. Melissa is her best friend, by the way.

And yes we did leave the arcade. Toya followed us around. I told her to go away, but stayed anyways. Melissa got mad at her, but didn't want to tell her to go because they are best freinds.

ABDUR101
Jan 17, 2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

In a case like that, you can either ignore it and plan differently next time(like NOT telling your ex), and also, if you're going to stand up to someone following you, when your girlfriend/boyfriend is a friend of who's following you, THEY need to stand up to the person and tell them to stop being a pain as well.

I don't think Toya would listen to you, you're ex's, so really Melissa should have said something because it would have had more impact.

Heh, not gonna work if one person is letting their friends walk all over the other.

Hope things work out, but you gotta talk to Melissa about Toya following you guys around, let her know you don't want that, you want your time spent with Melissa to be just that, time spent with her and not 8 other walk-alongs.

polishedweasel
Jan 18, 2004, 10:59 PM
Ah....how I love the Ex girlfriend Drama...Mine has lasted over 2 years now. Just brush it off....the new girl seems cool, she likes manga and such. Just do what ABDUR said pretty much, don't tell the ex anything about anything. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Sord
Jan 18, 2004, 11:18 PM
Hmm...no advice i can give you there that ABDUR has already said. Well, maybe you could just make Tonya dissapear maybe, forever? j/k, though if she died that might lessen a few problems, but also highten others. Cause your gf would be upset with her best friends death and that could screw your relationship up. Okay that was kind of off topic.

How exactly did you wind up going out with your ex's best friend anyways? That normally doesn't happen because an ex tells his/her friends a bunch of bad things about his/her last gf/bf.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 18, 2004, 11:54 PM
On 2004-01-18 20:18, Sord wrote:
Hmm...no advice i can give you there that ABDUR has already said. Well, maybe you could just make Tonya dissapear maybe, forever? j/k, though if she died that might lessen a few problems, but also highten others. Cause your gf would be upset with her best friends death and that could screw your relationship up. Okay that was kind of off topic.

If Toya died, that would simply devistate Melissa, and I wouldn't be able to do anything for her except be there for emotional support. I don't wish for Toya to die, because even though she messed with me and still is, that does not warrent a death. But Toya is just a part of the past, and there is no reason to keep involving her in this.

How exactly did you wind up going out with your ex's best friend anyways? That normally doesn't happen because an ex tells his/her friends a bunch of bad things about his/her last gf/bf.

Actually, Toya told Melissa good stuff about me, and Melissa wanted to become friends right? So after I knew her for about 3 weeks, her and I started to get kinda cuddly and whatnot. Finally I told her that I liked her, and she said the same. Next thing you know, we're going out and then the incident at the mall......Whatever.

Sord
Jan 18, 2004, 11:57 PM
On 2004-01-18 20:54, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Actually, Toya told Melissa good stuff about me, and Melissa wanted to become friends right? So after I knew her for about 3 weeks, her and I started to get kinda cuddly and whatnot. Finally I told her that I liked her, and she said the same. Next thing you know, we're going out and then the incident at the mall......Whatever.
Now that's a first! (for me)

SpikeOtacon
Jan 19, 2004, 12:27 AM
Oh for the love of...
NOW she wants to go out to Sakura's Steak and Seafood for lunch next weekend. Several problems present themselves. ONE, Toya works there and can still bother us there. I mean, it wouldn't bother me so much that she's there, but that she would be messing with me and annoying me there. TWO, Sakuras is fucking expensive. I would know. I got dinner for myself there once (it was a small dinner from what I remember) and it was like $40! Shit, $40 for a steak, a few sushi, and Free re-fil soda? Bullshit. I am like THIS close to getting fired, and I really can't spare that kind of money.

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 12:32 AM
On 2004-01-18 21:27, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Oh for the love of...
NOW she wants to go out to Sakura's Steak and Seafood for lunch next weekend. Several problems present themselves. ONE, Toya works there and can still bother us there. I mean, it wouldn't bother me so much that she's there, but that she would be messing with me and annoying me there. TWO, Sakuras is fucking expensive. I would know. I got dinner for myself there once (it was a small dinner from what I remember) and it was like $40! Shit, $40 for a steak, a few sushi, and Free re-fil soda? Bullshit. I am like THIS close to getting fired, and I really can't spare that kind of money.

Mow some lawns, big ones, charge lots.

Have your parents loan you some. Just make sure you pay it back.

Is there a time when you can go that Tonya is off work?

How many ounces is the steak? (your making me hungry)

If you do take her out, and this place is really that expensive, make it clear it's a treat. You don't want her thinking your freakin rich. Who knows what she would ask for then.

anwserman
Jan 19, 2004, 12:51 AM
Or better yet, don't go to the steakhouse. Invite her over and make stakes yourself, that *should* impress her, that a guy would be willing to cook for her. I mean, older ladies seem to dig it (because they know that they won't have to cook all the time.)

If the prices are correct, you can make a decent steak dinner at home for $10-$13. You need... (I made this recently so I know the price!)

2 packages of sandwich steaks. They run about $2.50, locally, for steaks that look like they could fit on a bun. They should be labeled "Sandwich Steaks", too.
A box of IGA or generic box of Herb and Garlic mashed potatoes, $1.99
Steak marinade, $1.50
Can of beans, $1.00 for a big can
Something to drink, remainder of the money.

$5 + $2 + $1.50 + $1 = 9.50, plus any stuff to drink.

The steaks are really simple to make. Make the marinade according to the package (make sure its like a 30 minute marinade if you're in a rush), and put the steaks in the bowl. Shake a little bit, let sit for a while.

While they're marinating, take a cookie pan (with sides), and wrap the whole thing in tinfoil. Take a wire rack, and place it the pan. You will put the steaks on top of the wire rack, and the fat will drip down onto the tinfoil, and not the cookie sheet, causing less of a mess to clean up. Prepare the oven - put one of the inside racks closest to the top heater, with enough room to put the pan with steaks on it. The time that there is left (about 20 minutes if you just put the steaks in the marinade), put the beans in a pan and simmer them. Don't worry about the mashed potatoes yet.

When the steaks are done marinating, put them on the tinfoil wrapped pan and rack, put them on the top shelf in the oven (make sure the tray is all the way in), but the oven on Broil mode and close the door - not all the way though! It should be able to keep open. Thats how you broil. Check every couple of minutes or so, they'll cook fast. Now start the mashed potatoes. It should consist of boiling an amount of butter, milk and water. Dump the package of dry potatoes and seasoning, mix and they'll be done. Remove from the heat. Remember to stir the beans, and to flip the steaks once in a while. After a couple rotations, when the steaks start to turn brown on both sides, set the table during this time. Once your done setting the table, take a steak out, and cut it in half. If its pink, its not done and needs to cook longer, unless you might like it rare or something.

Sorry, thats about all of the advice I could give. Don't rush yourself, and treat her to a dinner you made yourself. If she insists on going to the resteraunt, then she's obviously in it to be spoiled... because not every date is about impressing somebody with the amount of money you have and can spend... it should also be about impressing with your skills and personality you have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-01-18 21:53 ]</font>

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 12:56 AM
Yeah, that's a great idea. Do what awnserman says. But what kind of marinade. Guess you'll have to ask your gf about that one.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 19, 2004, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the help answerman, her and I had a talk right after I posted and she understood my situation. I'll have her over, yeah. But i'm not the greatest cook. In fact, I cook ramen everyday. That's not much skill involved with that.

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 01:20 AM
On 2004-01-18 22:05, SpikeOtacon wrote:
In fact, I cook ramen everyday.

That's me!

Just follow the directions, awnserman did a very good job of explaining the how to. The only question i have is if there is a tempature for broil, or is broil just a word for a certain temperature?

P.S. The creamiest potatoes (and i'm very picky about this) that i have found is Valley View. I just checked the box, and it's the same kind my mom always buys. Unless she bought a convincing off brand. I am kind of suspicious they repeated the front on the back instead of advertising their other flavors like they usually do.

Solstis
Jan 19, 2004, 01:58 AM
I've never used the broil function of the oven. Everything is always bake for me.

You could make her ramen as a joke, but make sure you but egg in it. And pronounce it rah-men, not ra-myen.

Seasoned salt goes great on steak too.

anwserman
Jan 19, 2004, 02:00 AM
Broil is where only the top heat register of the oven is on, at a certain temperture. There is no controlling it, but you *have* to make sure to keep the oven open part-way. Not like, whole door open but there should be a position where the oven door locks in place before it is fully shut.

EDIT: For another two bucks or so, spring for a bagged caesar salad. It makes a complete meal, with like mini-steaks (they're good though! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif), corn, mashed potatoes AND salad. It was very filling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-01-18 23:04 ]</font>

MasterJoel
Jan 19, 2004, 02:39 AM
::reads thread:: i'm aghast at your people's cooking skills. cooking for her is a wonderful idea, but remember, potatoes taste better when they don't come from a box and caesar salad tastes better when you don't buy a bag of lettuce... cook with love, make things from scratch, it'll improve your cooking skills too... and, i'm sure it's a little cheaper too, so you can spring for a little better steaks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ::disaster saved::

Arislan
Jan 19, 2004, 02:40 AM
Another great one is Spaghetti with a Garlic butter sauce. Tastes pretty good (bland to very garlicky depnding on your tastes in garlic) overall, and is very easy to make.

While boiling the spaghetti, grab a stick of butter. Cut from 1/4 to 1/2 the stick, depending on how much sauce you want (1/4 may not sound like much, but it's meant to be a light sauce anyway, so a little goes a long way).

Get one onion, cut it in half (less if you don't like onion, but at least 1/4, otherwise it will end up tasting odd), then dice the pieces as well as you can. The smaller the better, since they'll cook up quicker, and by the time this preparation is done, the spagehetti will be as well, so...

Then, garlic. Best bet is a bulb of garlic, you could use the dried stuff too, but I don't trust it, prefer fresh. Dice this as small as possible, garlic will be quite odd if you bite into a big bunch of it, and toss all this into a frypan (garlic, onion and butter). Stir all this constantly till you start to get a residue of melted butter on the side of the pan (or until the onion has soaked in the butter and is a clearish yellow) and you're good there. Put some on top of the now finished (and hopefully strained)) spaghetti, and you're good. Like Anwserman stated, a bag of Caesar salad would work well for a side, and if you're of drinking age, a light wine would go well, otherwise, soda's always good with italian.

anwserman
Jan 19, 2004, 02:46 AM
On 2004-01-18 23:39, MasterJoel wrote:
::reads thread:: i'm aghast at your people's cooking skills. cooking for her is a wonderful idea, but remember, potatoes taste better when they don't come from a box and caesar salad tastes better when you don't buy a bag of lettuce... cook with love, make things from scratch, it'll improve your cooking skills too... and, i'm sure it's a little cheaper too, so you can spring for a little better steaks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ::disaster saved::

Hey there now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I was offering a cheap alternative for the whole "$40 for one person's meal" worry he was having. Yeah, thats like bottom of the barrel type stuff there, but I *did* make it myself for my parents and I, and it was very good too.

Now, the thing is, if it tastes good, why spend extra money? We didn't need anything else after that meal - and those bigger, juicier steaks just encourage you to gorge and overfeed yourself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Not like thats a bad thing... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Arislan
Jan 19, 2004, 06:57 AM
Problem I have with Caesar salad scratch-made is that I have a hard time with portions on the toppings. I always end up with either too much greens (just lettuce? Umm, no) or too little and too much junk filler. So the bagged stuff usually comes in as a save for me on that. Making a quick onion gratin or a cream of mushroom/chicken soup with cheese works pretty well in the case of not wanting to use bagged lettuce.

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
Somehow this topic went from dating to cooking -_- Maybe we should just make an Off Topic sticky titled:

What To Cook For Your Bf/Gf

Arislan
Jan 19, 2004, 06:23 PM
And watch as the only 3 people that can seemingly cook share tips all day. Don't think it would be very productive.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 19, 2004, 06:36 PM
Sord, the discussion went off topic because it was nessicary. I was worried about having to take melissa out to that expensive resturant with my unemployment just around the corner (I have the feeling I am about to get fired so...). However, others were kind enough to give me some advice as to avoid unnessicary costs.

Allos
Jan 19, 2004, 06:59 PM
Somehow, I think this is appropriate:

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin, I don't where I'll be tommorow!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allos on 2004-01-19 16:00 ]</font>

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 07:02 PM
On 2004-01-19 15:36, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Sord, the discussion went off topic because it was nessicary. I was worried about having to take melissa out to that expensive resturant with my unemployment just around the corner (I have the feeling I am about to get fired so...). However, others were kind enough to give me some advice as to avoid unnessicary costs.

It would be more appropriate if we knew what she wanted. We never really knew it was steak, she just wanted to go to a restraunt with steak. On top of that hse could change her mind.

AUTO_
Jan 19, 2004, 07:17 PM
Your girlfriend sounds like a gold-digger.

You don't have a driver's license...so I'm guessing you're like +/-14?

That's a hell of a lot of money to be dishing out, man.

Allos
Jan 19, 2004, 07:44 PM
Aren't you 17 Spike?

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 07:50 PM
On 2004-01-19 16:44, Allos wrote:
Aren't you 17 Spike?

Well his profile says his b-day is Sep 9, 1980. so:

-----

Minus a year since September isn't hear yet. Although i didn't think you were 23 spike, help us here.

DOG21313
Jan 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
On 2004-01-19 16:50, Sord wrote:

Aren't you 17 Spike?

-----

Minus a year since September isn't hear yet. Although i didn't think you were 23 spike, help us here.

Your supposed to put your real b-day in the profile? okay, seriously, that may not be accurate info... If he cant drive, id assume hes below age 16, or he doesnt have a car. If hes dating, id assume hes above age 13.

eh?

Sord
Jan 19, 2004, 07:57 PM
On 2004-01-19 16:55, DOG21313 wrote:

Aren't you 17 Spike?

-----

Your supposed to put your real b-day in the profile? okay, seriously, that may not be accurate info... If he cant drive, id assume hes below age 16, or he doesnt have a car. If hes dating, id assume hes above age 13.

eh?

Some people put their correct b-days in their profile, though i'm one of the few who pays attention to them anyways. You can still be 23 and living with your parents without a car, it's called broke http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I think he's 15 though.

DOG21313
Jan 19, 2004, 07:59 PM
On 2004-01-19 16:57, Sord wrote:

On 2004-01-19 16:55, DOG21313 wrote:

Aren't you 17 Spike?

-----

eh?

Some people put their correct b-days in their profile, though i'm one of the few who pays attention to them anyways. You can still be 23 and living with your parents without a car, it's called broke http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I think he's 15 though.

If he cant drive, id assume hes below age 16, or he doesnt have a car.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DOG21313 on 2004-01-19 17:00 ]</font>

SpikeOtacon
Jan 19, 2004, 08:06 PM
23 with no car. I don't make enough to own one.

Allos
Jan 19, 2004, 08:14 PM
That's right. I always mistake you for someone I knew in another forum a while back.