PDA

View Full Version : Mag farming...?

Cap_Canuk
Jan 20, 2004, 04:34 PM
I keep seeing reference to finding new mags, raising mags, etc...
I've played through the entire normal mode of PSO ver 2 on Dreamcast, about 90 hours of play, and I've never come across a second mag. is there something I've missed? do I have to un-equip my mag in order to find a new one?

Ketchup345
Jan 20, 2004, 04:37 PM
You can either find Mags in random boxes in the Mines (at least in GC/XBox), or make new characters and steal their Mags (reccomended since you can easily control the color; all Mines Mags will be what is called "Mines Grey").

_Ted_
Jan 20, 2004, 06:13 PM
It always seemed more like "mines white" to me.

Superguppie
Jan 21, 2004, 03:34 AM
Last week I found a baby MAG in a box on Gal Da Val Islands Mountain Area. Haven't checked it for color, but it's probably grey....

Mixfortune
Jan 21, 2004, 12:00 PM
MAGs in GC/XBOX/DC could be found in the Mines boxes.
As far as I know, the MAGs you find in boxes are a random color, and not always grey or white.

Dhylec
Jan 21, 2004, 01:01 PM
On 2004-01-21 09:00, Mixfortune wrote:
As far as I know, the MAGs you find in boxes are a random color, and not always grey or white.

i think mags found in boxes have original color of the 1st char who picked them up..

for example, my hucsl original color was an extra color, thus her mag color is random: grey
all the baby mags i found turned out to be grey.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Ketchup345
Jan 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
On 2004-01-21 10:01, Dhylec wrote:

On 2004-01-21 09:00, Mixfortune wrote:

for example, my hucsl original color was an extra color, thus her mag color is random: grey
all the baby mags i found turned out to be grey.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

I picked up plenty of Mines Mags, and my costum started as and still is Red. All the Mags picked up were Grey.

Nai_Calus
Jan 21, 2004, 01:17 PM
I have/have had about 6 'main' characters which have been worked through to Ult, and I've found a fairly large number of baby Mags, with varying costumes, classes, IDs, etc. Every single Mag I have ever found has been grey, without exception. Found Mags are grey. Period. Unless they actually bothered to have it be different for the JP and PAL versions, but I doubt it.

Garm
Jan 21, 2004, 02:41 PM
i have some unused mags and i thought one of them was brown and i didnt take them from other charas but i'll check it tomorrow (german is such a hard langauge(sp?)) i have the pal ver if it matters

SnoopyEgotist
Jan 21, 2004, 07:53 PM
i don't know much about the mag colors, but I do know that the mag I found yesterday was grey.

(my original color was yellow)

Cap_Canuk
Jan 23, 2004, 11:45 AM
this is all very nice, this chat about mag colours...
but it actually has nothing to do with my original question, which is still not answered.

Is it normal after 100 hours of gameplay, in normal mode, through the whole game (to the end. now starting hard mode) to never have come across another mag?

Ketchup345
Jan 23, 2004, 01:08 PM
On 2004-01-23 08:45, Cap_Canuk wrote:
Is it normal after 100 hours of gameplay, in normal mode, through the whole game (to the end. now starting hard mode) to never have come across another mag?

It depends on your personal luck. Also, they can only appear in grey boxes from the Mines.

I have found about 10, just by destroying the boxes along the normal path.

Chris_c11t
Jan 23, 2004, 01:10 PM
I have done some testing with this, looking for coloured mags, thinking I could get them from the mines.
The odds of finding a mag in normal mines, which is the most common place for them, is about 50% per run.
This means that if you never went back to normal mines, the odds of you never finding another mag are 1 in 2.

On 2004-01-21 10:01, Dhylec wrote:
i think mags found in boxes have original color of the 1st char who picked them up..

I've also tried testing this, and it's not true - all mags from the mines are grey reguardless. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

NiteOwl
Jan 23, 2004, 03:08 PM
That's odd. I used two found mags to create Satos and one came out pure white, the other was pitch black. Or is that how Satos handle grey mags?

Soukosa
Jan 23, 2004, 03:15 PM
For the whole finding mags and mag color thing, the place of the mags varies between section IDs and difficulties, but at least one level in the Mines and one level in Gal Da Val has a box drop set to a mag. With colors, it seems that ST screwed something up with the first couple of versions of the GC version so that they will always get grey mags. The XBox version and the EU GC version, from what I've been told, get mags that follow the costume of the character, like how they should be.

Destroyer_5
Jan 24, 2004, 05:06 PM
I AM A MAG FARMER/BABYSITTER ON XBOX. MY NAME IS DESTROYER 5. I DON'T RIP YOU OFF OF YOUR MAG BECAUSE I THINK THAT IS WRONG AND I HAVE HAD TOO MANY PEOPLE TELL ME THEY HAVE LOST THEIR STUFF AND I'VE EVEN LOST SOME THINGS TO STEALERS. I JUST WANT TO BE SOMEBODY WHO WILL RAISE A MAG TO BE WHATEVER YOU WANT IT...I ONLY CHARGE 300 MESETA TO RAISE IT TO LEVEL 100...SO IT'S YOUR CHOICE.

Olga
Jan 24, 2004, 05:14 PM
TRY TO GET A DIFF. SECTION ID w/ A DIFF. CHARICTAR IF YOU DON"T WANNA DELETE YOUR CHARICTAR.

VYSE
GREENILL [I find mags all the time]
KAMA
HARD-MINES

defiled
Jan 25, 2004, 12:45 AM
At about level 25, on Normal, I found a baby mag in the mines, on my first run through mines.

I think you've just had bad luck, sorry.

Superguppie
Jan 26, 2004, 04:55 AM
On 2004-01-23 08:45, Cap_Canuk wrote:
this is all very nice, this chat about mag colours...
but it actually has nothing to do with my original question, which is still not answered.

Pretty much all characters I have that have at least 50 hours on'em have found baby MAGs. Of course I am a slow player that regularly replays areas to have the chars gain some more weight. Mines is a good area to redo if I have only a little time (it's short...) so I end up doing that a lot...

On 2004-01-23 12:15, Sounomi wrote:
For the whole finding mags and mag color thing, the place of the mags varies between section IDs and difficulties, but at least one level in the Mines and one level in Gal Da Val has a box drop set to a mag. With colors, it seems that ST screwed something up with the first couple of versions of the GC version so that they will always get grey mags. The XBox version and the EU GC version, from what I've been told, get mags that follow the costume of the character, like how they should be.

That's odd. I have the EU GC version and I'm pretty sure the MAGs I found are grey. But I haven't payed much attention to it, so I'll make a note to check the color of any MAG I find from now on...

ShadowsMinion
Jan 26, 2004, 09:33 AM
I don't know what it is about me and my friend but we have found at least 200 mags playing together, so we dont even pick em up anymore. It seems weird to me that someone wouldn't find any mags, unless of course the person rushes through mine. Personally though I like mine. Whatever.

-Luke-
Jan 26, 2004, 09:49 AM
I am on Xbox, PAL, and with my Cast I have found 7 MAGs, all in mines. He started off with a blue MAG, with a standard blue costume. When he found those MAGs, they were all kinds of colours. Mainly reds and purples, but I had one black and one yellow. Could it also be the colour of the costume you are wearing at the time? Wait. That doesn't work, cos my HUmar started with purple MAG, and he has found two MAGs, one red one purple.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
Luke

Superguppie
Jan 27, 2004, 04:20 AM
OK, I was mistaken. Although I do remember finding some grey MAGs. I wonder how that happened...
Last night GreeniE (in bright green outfit) found 2 MAGs in the mines. One was bright green, the other was pale green.
I'm on EU/GC.

Cap_Canuk
Jan 27, 2004, 10:09 AM
I've now played through the normal level mines at least 5 times, in detail, leaving not a box unopened, not a room unexamined.
zip
zilch
nada
nothing
not a mag in sight

maybe on Dreamcast (version 2) one doesn't find mags until hard or very hard levels?
or maybe Whitill's don't find them?

Superguppie
Jan 27, 2004, 10:26 AM
As far as I know all IDs find'em on all difficulties.
As with red boxes you need a bit of luck getting MAGs. My find of last night was on the first visit to Mines (that's at Normal) but my main char can easily go through ULT mines 10 times without finding a single one of'em. Stay at it and you will eventualy find some.

Oh, and I found another place to find MAGs too: I found one in one of the boxes on the raft after fighting Dal Ra Lie. Or maybe it was De Rol Le. I forgot already...

Cap_Canuk
Feb 1, 2004, 11:58 AM
Well, here's one for the record books:
I've gone through Mines in normal at least 20 times on my Dreamcast, and still not a Mag in sight.

20 minutes into our GameCube 2-player game in mines normal last night (only the 2nd time we get TO the mines) we found 2, yes TWO, Mags in the same room!

There must be SOME difference between the DC and GC versions of the game. (I know that on my DC I always buy grinders at the shop, while they've not been offered once yet on the GC - only found grinders)

VioletSkye
Feb 1, 2004, 02:13 PM
You can buy monogrinders from the shop occassionally. They don't appear every time though.

kitomaka_ck
Feb 1, 2004, 02:36 PM
De Rol Le box- Teal
Mines box- Black, Gray

As for the sato thing, sometimes 4th evolution mags don't come out right =(

navci
Feb 1, 2004, 03:31 PM
On 2004-02-01 08:58, Cap_Canuk wrote:
Well, here's one for the record books:
I've gone through Mines in normal at least 20 times on my Dreamcast, and still not a Mag in sight.

20 minutes into our GameCube 2-player game in mines normal last night (only the 2nd time we get TO the mines) we found 2, yes TWO, Mags in the same room!

There must be SOME difference between the DC and GC versions of the game. (I know that on my DC I always buy grinders at the shop, while they've not been offered once yet on the GC - only found grinders)

Back when I was on v1... I have found mags in the Mines area. They are actually quite common... to the point that I have too many of them. Heh. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Luke-
Feb 1, 2004, 03:39 PM
They are random, as going through H mines I found 3 in one room, then 4 several rooms later. Total of 7, but since then I haven't found any. Don't hunt for them, just make a new char to rob and assassinate.
Luke