PDA

View Full Version : Has Last Samurai made you...

DemiDeviMatt
Jan 21, 2004, 08:47 PM
use the katana blades in pso?
cuz thats all i use now is either sange or yasha since i dont have enough atp for the double saber.

ERS
Jan 21, 2004, 08:57 PM
Does that have anything to do with.... anything?

http://www.pso-world.com/viewforum.php?forum=9&77415

Outrider
Jan 21, 2004, 11:55 PM
Well, my friend bought a katana a little before we went to see the movie. Afterwards, he kept talking about how much he wanted to go home and use it.

Ok, pretty unrelated.

dylcool
Jan 22, 2004, 11:51 PM
Mmmmmmm.... katana....

Well, sort of, but it really made me wanna use a flag. Oh, and a wooden stick that swings like a sword. That would be rockin.

AUTO_
Jan 23, 2004, 03:07 AM
Haven't seen the movie...though I hear good things.

So, no.

Now I feel dirty bumping this thread.

Flint
Jan 23, 2004, 08:43 AM
Saw it last night for the second time... god-damit thats a good movie!

Yeah i only use my legit Orotiagito but not because of the film. Watching it did make me have an urge for PSO though!

Reiya
Jan 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
actually it made me use Mitsurugi in SC 2, lol.
kinda of a change from my long range ivy whip but..meh.

BogusKun
Jan 23, 2004, 01:07 PM
Tomorrow...

Topic: Dances With Wolves Made you...

Has Dances With Wolves made you fall in love with a white girl who suddenly becomes a Sioux Indian and made you wanna by wolves/huskies to attack any poor guy on the street? Or has it made you jump in a lake naked?

Abaddon
Jan 23, 2004, 06:43 PM
I happen to own a Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto and a Ninja Blade. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif And once I get time off work or I have an unfettered weekend that's the next movie I'll be seeing (Apart from Underworld).

The_Pea_Guy
Jan 23, 2004, 08:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Wakizashi a Japanese short sword used by the Samurai in combat? Just curious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2004-01-23 17:22 ]</font>

Sord
Jan 23, 2004, 08:27 PM
On 2004-01-23 17:22, The_Pea_Guy wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Wakizashi a Japanese short sword used by the Samurai in combat? Just curious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Pea_Guy on 2004-01-23 17:22 ]</font>

that depends on what one calls short, but yeah.

dylcool
Jan 23, 2004, 08:46 PM
On 2004-01-23 06:29, Reiya wrote:
actually it made me use Mitsurugi in SC 2, lol.
kinda of a change from my long range ivy whip but..meh.

Was this Mitsurugi in his extra costume, the samurai robes? Cause that is rockin.

Abaddon
Jan 23, 2004, 10:04 PM
On 2004-01-23 17:22, The_Pea_Guy wrote:

Aye it is.
Wakazashi (sp?) are the shorter swords, and tanto's are the dagger/knife.

swan_s0ng
Jan 25, 2004, 10:16 AM
I happen to own a Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto and a Ninja Blade

"ninja blade" - the sword that ninja generally use (obviously every practicioner of Ninjutsu can use whatever they wish, chains, hanbo, etc etc) is called gatana. Generally recognized with having a flat square hilt, being somewhat shorter than a katana but similar in form.

Oh, and a wooden stick that swings like a sword. That would be rockin.

That weapon already exists and is used in Kendo practice (once you reach a certain degree of swordsmanship). It's called a "Bokken" and is used as a wooden subsitute for the katana (obviously you can't practice right from word go with a 4 foot steel katana, unless you want to loose a limb or two).

Gnarled_rose
Jan 25, 2004, 11:20 AM
That weapon already exists and is used in Kendo practice
Although not specifically limited to Kendo. Ninja were also known to use it because it's quieter and more subtle(i.e. easier to hide) than a sword in some cases.
My two cents.

Black000Moon
Jan 25, 2004, 12:07 PM
this is off topic but how do you all know about katanas and stuff if you don't take karate or kendo? (yea we uses weapons in our karate and no its not kendo.)Maybe I'm wrong you all might take one of those but meh

Outrider
Jan 25, 2004, 02:28 PM
My katana friend informed me that a ninja sword (gatana, I think you called them?) is not curved like a katana is. Any truth to this statement?

Abaddon
Jan 25, 2004, 04:48 PM
On 2004-01-25 07:16, swan_s0ng wrote:

"ninja blade" - the sword that ninja generally use (obviously every practicioner of Ninjutsu can use whatever they wish, chains, hanbo, etc etc) is called gatana. Generally recognized with having a flat square hilt, being somewhat shorter than a katana but similar in form.

Thankyou for that info http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I always knew them as ninja blades as the catalogue i buy from doesnt give the japanese name.

And yes gatanas are a straight edged sword with a square hilt. Of the four that I own I prefer to use the gatana the most. It has an excellent weight balance and I prefer it to the longer and more cumbersome katana.
If anyone has some spare web space that can show images i can post some pics for you all to see http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

this is off topic but how do you all know about katanas and stuff if you don't take karate or kendo?

This will be my fifth year of karate but we do not cover weaponry as of yet. Getting unarmed combat down pat would be the first priority. After all, carrying a sword in public isn't commonplace these days anymore http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abaddon on 2004-01-25 13:51 ]</font>

tai_EX
Jan 25, 2004, 07:02 PM
OKE THATS IT! no one aked for a history lesson swan_s0ng so pleeze next time if someone asks about a movie making you want to you a katana in PSO, pleeze dont tell us you have a new puppy!

good gawd...

tai_EX
Jan 25, 2004, 07:06 PM
but on a lighter subject i do take weapon classes, yes i do know how do use a katana. Does anyone know how to use a pokemon/YU-GI-OH!/Magic (or whatr evr the hell you might play) card as a weapon?

Gnarled_rose
Jan 25, 2004, 08:02 PM
but on a lighter subject i do take weapon classes, yes i do know how do use a katana. Does anyone know how to use a pokemon/YU-GI-OH!/Magic (or whatr evr the hell you might play) card as a weapon?
I can see where you get the title of total idiot.
While it's possible to (properly) use a single card to disarm an opponent, I don't think any kind of aggresive maneuver can be acheived with one.
Paraphrase:For self-defense, yes.
Why did I reply? Now comes the slew of stupid questions...

swan_s0ng
Jan 25, 2004, 08:37 PM
Although not specifically limited to Kendo. Ninja were also known to use it because it's quieter and more subtle(i.e. easier to hide) than a sword in some cases.
My two cents.

Ninja use the hanbo mainly for practice, the hanbo is very similar to a bokken - but obviously the bokken mimics the katana, so ninja won't generally practice with a bokken at all because they don't generally use katanas. they are not swordsmen. oh, and the hanbo mimics the gatana.

this is off topic but how do you all know about katanas and stuff if you don't take karate or kendo? (yea we uses weapons in our karate and no its not kendo.)Maybe I'm wrong you all might take one of those but meh

there are a number of books published about ninjutsu and kendo (kendo being the martial art form that decsended from samuri warriors). even the grand master of ninjutsu himself published one. however, there are not going to be any ninja posting on a psow forum (or samuri), they are both a way of life - and not just a martial art. they branch into spiritually and things like that, so the modern day equivelants arent the same really - they only teach you one part of it. and whoever that was complaining about me mentioning some facts - just dont read the post if you dont want to learn anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: swan_s0ng on 2004-01-25 17:43 ]</font>

tai_EX
Jan 25, 2004, 09:39 PM
why thank yu Gnarled_rose yes it takes a true genuis to read a title under a pic. to understand what kind of person i am. The internet is such a big place isnt it? tell me Gnarled_rose have you seen the commercial where the 2 guys are sitting at the table with a pizza in fron of them and one sez "Chicago style deepdish, from Chicago." other guy:"yea, from Chicago... but wait a min. this is tucson!" NOW THOSE ARE BOTH IDIOTS OKE! BECAUSE THAT HAPPENS TO BE DIGORNO PIZZA!!!!!!

tai_EX
Jan 25, 2004, 09:42 PM
bu thank yu Gnarled_rose for answering my question..i appreciate yur input, by-the-by who watches Chapelle show?

Abaddon
Jan 26, 2004, 09:00 PM
On 2004-01-25 18:42, tai_EX wrote:
by-the-by who watches Chapelle show?

http://www.seacoastnh.com/arts/res/smokey.gif

tai_EX
Jan 26, 2004, 09:24 PM
HAHAHA!!! I LOVE IT!!! at least i know im all alone http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
but now on a lighter subject, who thinks pokemon should be destroyed at the source?

Abaddon
Jan 26, 2004, 09:40 PM
Not unless you want a horde of 12 year old kids out for your blood...