PDA

View Full Version : BBA setup guide

Tilldawn
Jan 22, 2004, 12:48 PM
ok i need an indepth guide i looked all over the place eveen th BBA setup page and searched forums but thing is i have no idea how to set up the bba to get online my isp is bolt blue and i dunno wat proxy server is or anything please tell me how to set it up like in depth pls!!!

VioletSkye
Jan 22, 2004, 12:58 PM
Need some info:

1. What type of Broadband is it?
2. What type of setup are you wanting to use (router, hub, direct connect, ICS?)

Unless you are actually using a proxy server (which is unlikely considering you don't even know what it is) you need to leave that area blank. For many BBA connections, everything is left on automatic in the Network options.

Tilldawn
Jan 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
its 512k and its bolt blue and i want to use my broadband wire for my modem to my gamecube so direct thingy but it says that my settings aint right which one do i choose?

VioletSkye
Jan 22, 2004, 01:16 PM
What I meant by type is, is it DSL, Cable, t connection etc, I didn't need to know the speed lol.

I looked it up and saw that its DSL. Have you tried leaving all the settings on automatic?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-01-22 10:30 ]</font>

Tilldawn
Jan 22, 2004, 01:30 PM
and how will i setup all of that when i dont know wat it means lol

VioletSkye
Jan 22, 2004, 01:33 PM
go into your GC's memory card screen and delete the Sega Network file and start from scratch. Now run PSO and try going online. The default settings are all on automatic. See if that works for you, if not describe any error messages you get.

Rich_T
Jan 22, 2004, 02:08 PM
information required:
your location
your Internet service type ( broadband down the phone line, or vai the cable TV box)
and the equipment used by your P.C to get online, the name and model of the boxes between your P.C and the main conection (phone socket DSL filter, or cable TV box)

Tilldawn
Jan 22, 2004, 02:22 PM
On 2004-01-22 11:08, Rich_T wrote:
information required:
your location
your Internet service type ( broadband down the phone line, or vai the cable TV box)
and the equipment used by your P.C to get online, the name and model of the boxes between your P.C and the main conection (phone socket DSL filter, or cable TV box)

UK
Broadband phone line
i got a speedtouch thomson modem
and a filter connection

metalPhantom
Jan 23, 2004, 03:12 AM
I have ADSL broadband, I cannot connect directly through the Gamecube. So I am attempting to use a Proxy. Using this method I have managed to buy a hunter's licence from the gamecube....that is, I got the gamecube PSO browser to work. However when I attempt to start an online game I get ERROR 102 as soon as the game starts searching for a DNS server. Also, at this time, the proxy does not seem to be getting any connection from the gamecube.

I just noticed notice that when I use the PSO browser to access the Hunter's Licence web page, I get an alert saying:

CERTIFICATE DOESN'T EXIST!

Do you think this has anything to do with the fact that I cannot seem to join any PSO server?

I use Euroweb ADSL (I live in MALTA)...

Anyway, I use a VPN connection to connect using my ethernet modem through a 5 port 10/100 Switching Hub. I did not manage to connect direcly using the gamecube. PPoE did not work for me. So I installed a Proxy (ProxyPlus).

These are the settings I am using:

Gamecube IP : 10.0.0.5
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
default router : 10.0.0.1 (My PC's IP)
primary DNS : "EMPTY"

Proxy address : 10.0.0.1
proxy port : 4480

Using these settings I managed to get online using the gamecube browswer and buy a hunter's licence. However when I attempt to start an online game I get a looong pause whilst the game is searching for a DNS server and then it reports error 102 and asks me to check my settings.

Any clues? Thanks.

Rich_T
Jan 23, 2004, 02:20 PM
The ceritficate does not exist message on the gamecibe homepage appears after the first click, and is normal, as the browser is looking for a security certificate, as used for online purchases, and the forst page loadeed of the pso disk doesnt have a certificate ( it doesnt need one) if you click the option to continue you should get to the main PSO sign up/register page, which does have a security certificate.

Sign up for PSO on your gamecube, then you know that your settings are corect and you wont waste any money if there not.
write down your username and password and keep them safe you will need these when you want to renew your HL

The UK mainly uses PPoAtm, and the below info is based on that,

As for the modem type, theres many different types of speedtouch modems out there, some have built in routers, some have a ehternet outputs, however most of the ones provided by UK ISPs connect to the p.c using USB leads.

I will also asume you have Windows XP on your P.C

forget about proxys, ip addresses DNS numbers etc for now.

To get your gamecube online you will need the folowing ingredients:

A spare ethernet socket/card on your p.c
A crossover ethernet cable
Windows 98se upwards

on your gamecube make sure all the network settings are on automatic
theres a guide to setting up internet conection sharing here, its based on the X box, but the set up is the same
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/sharedpc/

ignore any reference to X box, and for step 8 do this
switch on your gamecube, on your P.C you should see a message displayed near the clock saying local area conection conected
conect your p.c to the internet, then conect on your gamecube

metalPhantom
Jan 24, 2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks for your help.

The thing I really find to be strange is that using my setup, the gamecube ca actually go online and buy a hunter[s licence with no problems. But when I choose Online Game at the main menu, it just gives me error 102. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway, I'll give your setup a try. 10x.

Rich_T
Jan 24, 2004, 05:31 AM
Some ISPs require you to register the MAC address with them, you may need to do this with your gamecube BBA.

metalPhantom
Jan 25, 2004, 04:55 AM
Excuse my stupidy, but what is exactly a MAC address??

Just a thought, but does PSO use a different port to play online? In order to use the inbuilt browser it obviously uses the HTTP port. I just find it VERY strange that I can go online with the inbuilt gamecube browser but I cannot join an online game.

Thanks.

Rich_T
Jan 25, 2004, 05:41 AM
the MAC address is the number on the underside of your BBA, near the barcode sticker.
with some ISPs, you have to register your devices MAC address( network card/router/anything else such as a gamecube BBa or an X box)some you dont.

metalPhantom
Jan 26, 2004, 05:01 AM
I think I have made a step forward.

I installed a DNS server on my PC with the following setting:

pso-gc1.pso.playsega.com.

I also added the IPs for the american and japanese servers (just in case) and finally the IP for http://www.playsega.com.

I am also redirecting all DNS requests to this DNS server. Now PSO is apparently managing to connect but I am getting ERROR 101 (Attemp to connect to server failed. Server may be undergoing maintenance). Any clues?

Thanks.