PDA

View Full Version : How Japanese Play PSO

Lanzer
Apr 13, 2001, 01:58 PM
Heh, first of all, this is about how my Japanese friends play PSO, it's not how ALL Japanese players play. Mileage may vary. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

This big post is actually from my own journal, it's written after a big rant from playing a few days on US servers, but anyways, I just want to share with you all some playing style which you might not be familiar with, and perhaps it's something that you can try out and enjoy.

-- begin journal --
At night I met up with someone who I played with 3 weeks ago, took him a minute to remember me but he remembered when I mentioned that I'm the guy who could only type in English letters (now I can type in Japanese). I said that I've been spending some time looking for a Shinowa Beat Arm now and so we hit the Mines first. There were silly little jokes thrown as usual, everyone had their own, either someone's scared of a dark room or we're cheering for a monomate found. We would call the recovery spot as the hot spring, and my friend would type an "X" when a Shinowa dropped meseta or recovery items, since we're kind of in search for S-beats.
Even without the jokes there are a lot of chatter. The old "thank you", "you're welcome", and the jokingly said "are you alright" floats around, and everyone have an eye on each other's health meter ready to heal. Everyone is back to back when we enter a room. Nobody will find themselves walking into a room with half the monsters defeated or greeted by a charging Chaos Bringer ready to slash you in half. Since everyone enters the room together, we get to start every battle together then spread out as we pick our own enemies and positions, each facing a different direction usually. Naturally we just don't get surrounded much because we're close to each other, and we watch each other's backs. We walk towards other players assisting them after defeating the enemies, not towards the item that the enemies left behind. After the battle is over, we then go claim the items that are defeated by the monsters we each slayed. Simple honor system. We don't do it every time, but usually we don't even leave a room before we re-group. While waiting for re-group, it's time to chatter again, throw in a few jokes, or it can be something as simple as the weather.
And the game goes on. It's relaxed, co-operative, and friendly. Of course we found no S-Beats at the end of the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif (should play ruins) But it's not like it matters.

For some , spending the extra time waiting or chatting might be annoying and I can understand that, but for those who see some good in such an environment, feel free to suggest fighting as a team or try waiting for the newbie to catch up or let them feed their mags on your next game. If you're ever caught up in trying to grab the rare before someone else does, think of it this way: You might not have a powerful rare to show off, but instead you have a mature and friendly personality to show off instead, and your guild card would not be one that's immediately deleted by strangers.

I bet a lot of you are saying "so what?". If you play this way also, good for you. But I'm just not lucky enough to meet a group that plays like that on US servers at all. While most Japanese teams play like this.

* Last note - If you're interested in playing with me, feel free to drop me a note or write on my little journal page. URL is on my sig.