PDA

View Full Version : How do you pernounce the character names?

Genoa
Jan 22, 2004, 08:46 PM
I can pernounce some of them... but some I don't even want to attempt to say. Does anybody know how to say all of them correctly?

Arislan
Jan 23, 2004, 12:14 AM
Well, the English pronunciations are up in the air. The Japanese ones will work for katakanization, but it's not always how the word is actually said (actually, almost never). These would be my English takes.

Sil'fer- Silph-fer
Kranz- The "an" is like "Anne"
Ino'lis- Ee-nohl-lis
Kilryia- Kill-ree-ya
Viviana- Viv-ee-ahna
Teifu- Te-fuu
Relmitos- Rel-me-tohse
Orland- Or-land
Guykild- Guy-killed
Saligun- Sah-lee-goon
Stella- Stellar without the r
Gluster- Gluh-ster

Break- Break
Lura- Loo-rah
Endo- En-doh
K.C.- KC
Memoru- Meh-moh-roo
Rufina- Roo-fee-na
Rio- Ree-oh
Peko- Peh-koh
Hyze- High-z
Reiz- Raise
Creinu- Crane-oo
Ohgun- Ohgun

Shimarisu
Jan 23, 2004, 02:28 AM
How very American, do you really pronounce them like that? *wonders why Americans see a single vowel
and pronounce it like a double vowel*. For example, how you get pohkeemaun from Pokemon - pet hate of mine, especially as the whole of England from the midlands up pronounced it the Japanese way UNTIL the annoying American dub came on TV!
I'm from Northern England, so most vowels are clipped - including many double ones. Book for example, becomes 'bukk'.

It seems to me to take a lot longer if you pronouce words in American English. I wonder why it is - and people say Americans are lazy! I usually use the katakana as a template for pronunciation. As an approximation of foreign words, Japanese often manages a lot better than most, for example Greek names in RPGs are always a damn sight closer than our approximations, and they say Parii instead of Paris. So look past the limitations of the syllabary, and here you have, what I feel to be the correct pronuciations.

' denotes a clipped vowel.

Sil'fer- Silfa
Kranz- Krantz
Ino'lis- Ih-no'-lis
Kilryia- Kill-ree-ya
Viviana- Vi' vi' a' na
Teifu- Tayfu
Relmitos- Rel mi' tos
Orland- Or-land
Guykild- Guy-killed
Saligun- Sa'-li' gun
Stella- Stella
Gluster- Gluh-ster

Break- Break
Lura- Loo-rah
Endu- En-doo
K.C.- KC
Memoru- Meh-moh-roo
Rufina- Roo-fee-na
Rio- Ree-oh (only one I think is weird in the Japanese)
Peko- Peh-koh
Hyze- Heiz
Reiz- Raise
Creinu- Crane-oo
Ohgun- Ohgun

- Sheemaahreesoo

Arislan
Jan 23, 2004, 05:19 AM
Actually, the only time it would be a doubled (long) vowel would be when actually listed as double. the "oh" sounds are as in the end of "zero" as opposed to a short O as in "shot". Going through your pronunciations, besides Hyze, we're pretty darned close.

Not to mention the fact that the US has at the very least 5 disparate accents... England has some pretty odd ones too, messing with pronunciation. Cockney anyone?

Zaneatron
Jan 23, 2004, 07:59 AM
cockney is a dialect spoken mostly by market stall owners :S "2 bob a paownd!" roughly translated means "2 pounds (sterling) for a pound (lbs/weight) of your chosen fruit/vegetable". most people dont actually speak it, and is commonly a joke amongst most british people. this is beacuse of "cockney rhyming slang" where:
apples and pears = staris
pedal & crank = bank
britany spears = beers
scooby doo = shoe
brad pitt = .....(im sure you can figure it out)
etc, etc...
also, your only allowed to claim yourself a cockney if you were born within hearing distance of "the sound of bow bells".

otherwise we just have regional accents, most of which sound weird to me, seeing im from london and take our local accent to be the norm. whereas im sure someone form "up north" would take their accent to be normal, and mine as weird.

i still prefer me "normal accent though http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaneatron on 2004-01-23 05:09 ]</font>

Genoa
Jan 24, 2004, 05:59 PM
yes! thank you very much everyone.