PDA

View Full Version : Arkz>Heros?

HairyGoat
Jan 25, 2004, 10:54 PM
I stopped playing EP III a while ago because I got frustrated with not being able to read anything (I don't have an AR and don't plan on getting one)While playing EP III, it got to me that the heros have a huge disadvantage to the arkz. Since the arkz don't lose any HP when a card is destroyed, that makes them better. Do they have any disadvantage or what?

HaLLa
Jan 26, 2004, 01:02 AM
That may be true but that also means they have nothing you have to go through to hit them. If you can get you Hunter right to a Ark without getting through monsters they are probably dead.

rbf2000
Jan 26, 2004, 01:35 AM
One of the hero characters has a special ability where he doesn't lose any hp when a card is destroyed (but it also costs 2 action to attack). I forget his name (the black RAcast).

Para
Jan 26, 2004, 01:47 AM
the black RAcast is GuyKild isnt it?

LollipopLolita
Jan 26, 2004, 01:49 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1519

decswxaqz
Jan 26, 2004, 10:49 AM
True. But Heroes will usually kill more monsters than the monsters will with items. This means they usually have higher dice and can therefore equip more powerful cards and use better action cards.

Since the hero carries any items they use, they can equip a powerful item card anywhere on the field. An Arkz on the other hand, can only place powerful creatures on the back line(s ). They then have to move this creature to attack, which usually costs quite a few points. This means if a hunter does reach an Arkz and their weapon is destroyed, they can instantly call a backup weapon and be protected. The Arkz has to move, move a monster to block and hero movement and then attack. A hell of a lot of points used up.

Malkavian
Jan 26, 2004, 01:17 PM
I think the Arkz vs Hunter thing is very balanced. The cheap and unbalanced stuff comes from specific characters or cards.
- Red slime abilities being already a great card in stats.
- Inolis ability to do techs for 1 cost less.
- That AP TP change defense card is a noticeable disadvantage for the characters with 0 in ap or tp and techs like gifoie or rafoie that become drastically reduced.
- 1 cost enemies being summoned everywhere and doing extreme damage with some cheap assist or action cards.
- The fixed range in some action cards that are supposed to affect all field.

And some more. Are things that can be beaten and countered but doing something specific for it. And they have an obvious higher chance of winning against the rest of tactics of the game.
This brings to see that many players uses the same 4-5 decks for win. And if you want to try something different the chances of winning are reduced.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2004-01-26 10:18 ]</font>

HairyGoat
Jan 26, 2004, 07:27 PM
You all make some good points but an Arkz could just make a huge barricade of nothing but weak mosnters that don't cost very much to deploy. IE lilies and rappies. I guess in the end is does kind of balance out but the arkz should get something taken away for having a card destroyed.

Also, I know that cards like Hildabears and Belras have to be on the back lines but the arkz could be right there too, just summoning the cards around him/her.

Zaneatron
Jan 26, 2004, 07:58 PM
nope that doesnt happen. when you summon a creature on a map, its cost limits how far away it can be placed from your starting position. so on nebula montana 1, you obviously start at opposite ends. if the arkz were to move all the way to the other end. creatures still can only be summoned to the same places. so a big creature e.g. a hildelt, can only be summoned to the very back of the grid. so if you wanted protection from it, you made a big mistake, seeing its many blocks away from you :S

also there are at least 2 ways to counter some one spamming 1 point monsters, or even weapons *looks at guykild and saligun* you either use Virus, does 4 damage to any card that cost 3 or less to equip/summon. or theres, my personal preference, tornado, that has minor death. basically it will kill anything with 3 or less HP. so if theres som strong creature in play, whittle down its HP and it can be gone too, reguardless of its cost http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Malkavian
Jan 27, 2004, 10:21 AM
There are many ways to bypass barricades of little enemies. Virus, Quake, Tornado, Fly, Immortality, Return back damage def cards, Territory, Skip Set Phase, or be Arkz http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zaneatron
Jan 27, 2004, 11:15 AM
hmmmm, immortality aint going to do much..... would make the problem worse, youd have the bastards around for longer than needed, unless you set it when lots are out, and kill them all, then they cant set more. then when it wears off, they all die http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaneatron on 2004-01-27 08:16 ]</font>

Malkavian
Jan 27, 2004, 12:51 PM
On 2004-01-27 08:15, Zaneatron wrote:
hmmmm, immortality aint going to do much..... would make the problem worse, youd have the bastards around for longer than needed, unless you set it when lots are out, and kill them all, then they cant set more. then when it wears off, they all die http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaneatron on 2004-01-27 08:16 ]</font>

Yes that's it. That beat me using Red Slimes in 2 vs.

Zaneatron
Jan 27, 2004, 01:05 PM
yeah i see how it can work, but its a high risk tactic. could go either way. especially if they have some good action cards, e.g. pierce/rampage/etc, they could have their way with you :S

Shimarisu
Jan 27, 2004, 03:09 PM
That's why you still need defense on an immortality deck. And it only really works with 2 players, because it's hard to rely on only 3 immortality cards in your deck.

But hell, it works better than any deck I currently use, except of course, Pouilly.

Shield+high AP weap+immortality+penetration=fun. Same equation works for a FO with pierce techs. I can't see how it'd be as good with an Arkz, as like you say, they would simply kill your stuff and wait for it all to explode. You'd have to use Dubchics or something.

- Shimarisu

Malkavian
Jan 29, 2004, 11:10 AM
Shimarisu, will you be online between 8-11 PM UK time?

Edit: Ignore it. I didn't remember I babysit today. And I suppose I should have PMed better http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2004-01-29 09:55 ]</font>

Gaurdian
Jan 29, 2004, 01:09 PM
i would rather have Plus before i would get the Japanese version.

HairyGoat
Feb 1, 2004, 12:16 AM
Sorry I didn't know about all these cards, I can't read a thing and I don't have the english code because I don't have an AR. I will just wait for the US release.

InCognito
Feb 1, 2004, 03:54 AM
So is this game totally 50/50 or not? I want to be a hero but I don't want to have to fight an uphill battle just to have the same odds of winning.

Zaneatron
Feb 1, 2004, 07:39 AM
ok, the refresh is even worse now. i had almost finished my responcee, then it took me back to the replys, didnt even leave me at the posting bit. *is fucked off*

but NO! you are not limited to being arkz or hero online or offline.

offline you can choose which side of the story you want to do, or you can quit and choose the other side.

online, you will always be in the heroside ship, but it doesnt make a bit of difference in the grand schemem of things. you can also choose whatever bloody deck takes your fancy, unless you have some weird rules that forbid assist cards, but thats it.