PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is with the spread needles!!?

Cheep
Jan 25, 2004, 11:19 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif Why does evey freaking ranger use spred needle?! It sucks soooo badly. I don't use one on my ramarl and my brother doesn't on his ramar, we have brains. They hit so low and don't help anyone. Then people have those stupid exp steals on them. Then when they are on ult they use it and get tiny amounts on extra exp while hitting 100's. Then they say they are helping. Yah yourself...I played with a racaseal today that did this. They also demanded I heal them every 5 seconds and give them s&d the second it ran out. This is a little much for one ramarl. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif The other members of the team did not heal themselves either. While I was playing I was mailing I friend, which stopped me from restaing her. So she demanded I leave the game, which I made so someone else could play. She wasn't really doing anything. I've played with countless people that do this(not so much the healing thing though). Sorry it just makes me mad. Can someone please tell me why the heck people do this? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

Blitzkommando
Jan 26, 2004, 12:52 AM
People use them for a number of reasons.

1. They don't take nearly as much risk of being hit during a combo than if they had been using a shot-series.
2. It allows easy experience. It also allows people to paralyze enemies in groups quickly. I do this myself and it has saved my butt many a time.
3. Some use it for looks. The big bulky shot series tend to look strange on some RAngers so they use the smaller rifle-sized Spread Needle.

But in my case I end up using my Charge Arms, or my new Charge Shot, that's right Shot, 40hit, to take down enemies. Personally I would find that to be more annoying than a Needle simply because I'm doing 1100 damage a hit with a RAmarl. If I had been using a RAcast it would be as much as 1500 per hit. I usually use the Spread Needle in ultimate Mines, Ruins and Episode II just for the sheer speed at which I can get out shots. But if someone on the team is annoyed by it I just get my Charge Arms/Shot and work with that. I hope that explains some reasons why people use them.

Sord
Jan 26, 2004, 12:56 AM
If i could get an experiance spread needle, and i had online, i would just use it offline for experiance only. When it comes to guns, i prefer Mechs. Gotta love the old-school double pistol tweeked with some sci-fi.

-Luke-
Jan 26, 2004, 12:04 PM
My only problem with mechs is the running with them...Ugh.
Luke

Skuda
Jan 26, 2004, 02:18 PM
Sord and Luke, I agree with you both. And yes, the spread needle is horrible. I recieved a hacked one from a trade with 100% hit, 100% dark, and 100% machine, and it still took a full combo to take down a dimenian in normal (level 120 ranger). Pathetic, yes.

-Luke-
Jan 26, 2004, 02:31 PM
How the sack is that possible...?At level 120, your very base ATP is still 507, (and that doesn't include POW mats, a weapon and a MAG). With 100% Dark, you shouldn't have had that much trouble with a normal Dimenian.
Luke

KodiaX987
Jan 26, 2004, 03:03 PM
At level 100, on Normal, I believe I could kill at least a Gillchic with one PUNCH...

undevil
Jan 26, 2004, 04:02 PM
People use the spreads to get experience points easier. I do not really care about helping people out. How about you help yourself out, like I do. That is how I think. I could care less if the other people get experience points. I will not be so mean as to kill every enemy before the other people can get some hits, but that is the main purpous, to get hits before everyone else. Too many times have I been in a game where people would purpously kill every enemy before I could. So now I don't even bother trying to melee enemies, I just spread them.

Lede
Jan 26, 2004, 04:09 PM
The spread needle is the best ranger weapon, in the hands and eyes of a pro if you don't see that the you arent a pro, maybe if you try using one with higher atp rather then using one and your atp is below 500, yes your going to do crap damage, it wasnt made to be the strongest weapon, seeing as it shoots as fast as a rifel and hits multiple enemies, that would be rather cheap,

and if your a Moron and try to use a spread needle on ONE diminiion then you have serious probs, its made for groups when you get higher levels you will see the diffrence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lede on 2004-01-26 13:11 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Jan 26, 2004, 04:27 PM
You'll find that HOW a weapon attacks will outweight how much ATP is adds. As you level more and more, the ATP the weapon adds means less and less.

Using a rifle that may add 200 more ATP than a Spread Needle may seem better at first, but (especially with RAcasts) once you get higher and higher base ATP, those little shifts in numbers won't compensate for the way the weapon attacks, in this case, hitting multiple enemies quicker than with shots.

For rangers, once you get to a certain point, you don't really NEED the added accuracy of other weapons. Besides, the chance of a successful special attack with Spread Needle (paralysis) is actually quite nice.

Just keep in mind that using 1000 ATP in a three hit combo against 5 enemies will almost always beat out 1200 ATP three times against one enemy. But that's just an example.

The same theory can be applied to things such as Mechguns for Hunters, etc etc.

Shimarisu
Jan 27, 2004, 02:00 AM
It's just a stupid game, and we're all going to die.