PDA

View Full Version : PSO Redesign: Inclusion of Desolisans

Kupi
Jan 27, 2004, 08:21 PM
So my mind was wandering today and I thought: you know, how would/how should Desolisans be handled in PSO? Following is my take on their statistics and class limitations, and the reasoning that brought me to these conclusions. I stick this in fan works because it regards a fantasy PSO, not the real one.

Non sequitor: I'm calling them Desolisans because "Desolis" sounds a lot more like "desolate" which is what their home planet is like. I'm sure there's another way to express it; I met a guy on GameFAQs who insisted that a "Newman" in PSO be referred to as "Numan" because that was what they were called in one of the previous Phantasy Stars. So please, don't debate the syntax, debate the concepts.

Before I can discuss Desolisans, I'm going to have to say that the Newmen are in the wrong spot, statistically. I can understand why they're the casters now, since Androids were going to be physical powerhouses and Humans had to be balanced. Newmen are just more aesthetically pleasing than Desolisans, so they got a spot, and there had to be a caster race. However, with a race potentially more suited to the task, Newmen can take a spot intermediate between Androids and Humans. Why? The majority of Newmen, explicit or implicit, in the PS series have been more geared to melee combat than magic. Myau, Nei, Myeu (this'll get me in trouble), and Rika were all strong meleers with magic that tended to support a melee-based strategy, meaning a focus on healing and stat boosts. As I said, including Myeu on the list is going to get me in trouble, because Myeu is a cyborg, not a Newman, and I haven't played much of PS3 so I'm probably missing a major Newman character there. However, the claw-wielding heal-on-the-side character has usually been feline and synthetic. Newmen will still be limited to the Hunter and Force classes despite a melee focus; in my imaginary PSO design, a FOnewm or FOnewearl will be like the current FOmar or FOmarl. But more on that later.

On to the actual subject of this post: Desolisans. Since the Newmen are no longer the "caster" race, this is where Desolisans take over. They would have high MST and ATA, with at least one other good stat, likely DFP (arbitrary decision). In my system, tech boosts would be reliant only on class and race, not gender (because gender differences, though noticable on a small scale, would be negligible compared to stat differences between classes and races, enough so to make them unnecessary). Since the only Desolisan to join a PS party was PS4's Raja, we have to base our image of a Desolisan caster off of him. That explains their high MST, but the ATA? I remember fighting Desolisans in PS1, and I can't remember them using anything but guns. For this reason Desolisans are limited to the Ranger and Force classes. As an aside, this completes a circle: Androids are HU/RA, Newmen are HU/FO, Desolisans are RA/FO, and Humans can be anything. That makes three choices for each class (gender selection makes it technically six, but as I said, in my fantasy PSO statistical gender differences are nonexistent).

...anyway, back to what I was saying. The only casting Desolisan we've seen is Raja, and he's geared toward healing. Further, the Laconium (evil-smiting) weapons come from Desolis, so we can safely assume that as a race they tend toward holy magic. So, the FOdeso and FOdesol would probably have increased Grants power, doubled range on Resta and Anti, and probably extra healing power on Resta since they don't get anything else. While on the subject of reassigning tech boosts, Human Forces would have a comprehensive 10% boost to attack techs and penetrating Megid, while Newman Forces gain increased support tech range and added effect to those techs. So, the end result sees FOnewm/wearls in the FOmar/l's spot, FOmar/ls in the FOnewm's spot, and FOdesos in the FOnewearl's spot, roughly. Not entirely, but that's about where everything would land.

Bonus idea: I don't think tech resists are useful enough in this version of PSO. Not enough seems to affected by E** to make it worthwhile, as the majority of anything non-phsyical is simply fixed-HP. In addition to making more attacks act as techniques (why can't a Garanz missle do fire damage, for instance?), a character's class and race will affect what techs they resist. All Humans have a natural 30 EFR, Newmen have a natural 30 ELT, and Desolisans have a natural 30 EIC. FOmar/ls gain an additional 15 to EFR, ELT, and EIC, FOnewm/wearls gain 10 to all E**s, and FOdesos gain 25 ELT and EDK for being a Force. Androids get the shaft on tech resists, as they have no magic of their own to resist the effects of opposing magic with.

Summary:
-Newman become more meleer, less magic than Humans.
-Desolisans take the vacant caster spot.
-Newman Forces focus on support techs, Human Forces focus on attack techs, Desolisan Forces focus on healing and holy attack techs.
-I have no clue what to do with HP/TP regeneration. (Probably make it work even while running for Androids, and remove TP regen altogether.)
-Being organic gives you a natural tech resistance.
-Being a Force gives you an additional natural tech resistance depending upon the bonuses.
-Materials? I was supposed to consider Materials?
-I would play a FOdeso. =D

Thanks for listening this far, and I welcome dissent!

Robo47
Jan 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
If they put Dezolians in PSO 3 (ep3 being PSO 2) then they'll have to consider my idea first.

Kupi
Jan 28, 2004, 04:25 PM
Ah? What would that be? (I searched for your posts and didn't find in the first 60. Was it posted recently, and should I have read it before posting this?)

Robo47
Jan 28, 2004, 07:06 PM
Gimme a sec.

In it I was playing PSO ep4 it had expanded into an MMORPG and the character selection screen was set up like this:
HUmar......RAmar......FOmar
HUmarl.....RAmarl.....FOmarl
HUnewm.....RAnewm.....FOnewm
HUnewearl..RAnewearl..FOnewearl
HUcast.....RAcast.....FOcast
HUcaseal...RAcaseal...FOcaseal
HUrapy.....RArapy.....FOrapy
HUrapyl....RArapyl....FOrapyl

Basically the story was that Rappys were an advanced civilization until Dark Falz came. and a descendant of Dr.Montague developed a technology that allowed androids to use Foie Barta Zonde Resta Anti and Ryuker. And also there was this hunter that found a purple pendant that contianed Dark Falz' soul it possesed him and that was the opening scene.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robo47 on 2004-01-28 16:15 ]</font>

Kupi
Jan 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
So... are you calling my idea completely ludicrous? O_o