PDA

View Full Version : I NEED SOME SERIOUS MATH HELP!!!! (Max Stats related)

RicoRoyal
Jan 31, 2004, 09:29 PM
I seem to have come across some sort of numerical error in the maxing stats guide under the name of "FurryBagi's Guide To Maxing Your Character's Stats". Yes, I realize that at first glance the topic would seem to belong to the site related forum. I post it here because... and I'll be honest, I actually want people to read what I have to say (something that I doubt would happen in the other forum).

Okay, so here goes. Do try and keep up now.

This guide claims to max out ALL stats (with the aid of some god/abilities and a few other units). I happen to adore the Fonewm class. Sadly, I've made numerous errors on three... yes three Fonewms. Being the perfectionist that I am, well I either deleted the faulty characters or no longer use them (I kept my lvl 149 reject because I just didn't have the guts to kill him). So why am I even posting all this you ask? Simple, the above-mentioned guide has an error; one that I can't seem to find a solution to. For this reason I am here before you all to ask for a little bit of arithmetic aid. I just want to be sure I didn't just forget to carry over a one or forgot a decimal place or something.

The following is an edited version the Fonewm part of the guide. I took the liberty of taking out any numbers or comments irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Materials:
Power: 35
Defense: 0
Mind: 92
Evade: 8
Luck: 15
Mag:
Def: 5
Pow: 36
Dex: 92
Mind: 67
Needed Units:
1. God/Ability (+20 total to all stats except ATA, +2 ATA)
2. God/Ability (+20 total to all stats except ATA, +2 ATA)
3. God/Ability (+20 total to all stats except ATA, +2 ATA)
4. God/Mind (+40 MST)
Final Results:
Stat Need Gain
ATP 201 202
DFP 55 65
MST 402 418
ATA 52 52
EVP 75 76
LCK 90 90

Now at first glance the guide seems perfect...a little too perfect perhaps. I've bolded and underlined the error that I seem to have found in the guide.

The following are the GC lvl 200 max stats for a Fonewm:

ATP - 814
DFP - 463
MST - 1500
ATA - 180
EVP - 679
LCK - 100

Now if I were to follow the guide precisely as directed I would be able to achieve nearly all of the max stats... with the exception of evasion, which would actually end up at 607 (at lvl 200) rather than at 679. That's 72 Evasion Points short of what would be "all max stats". In other words the guide should say 148 rather than 75. Which is actually impossible seeing as a Fonewm cant use the 36 evasion materials needed because that would put him over the 150 material limit (he would need a 186 limit). So what the hell am I not seeing correctly? Or if I am in fact correct, what do any of you suggest I do to fix the problem. Would those 72 evasion points really hinder my performance so much anyway?

So like the title says, I need some math help... quickly now, before by brain explodes from thinking about this for too long.

RicoRoyal
Jan 31, 2004, 10:22 PM
Geeshh, don't everyone reply all at once...

BUMP BUMP BUMP... my work is done here...

navci
Jan 31, 2004, 10:52 PM
Hm... I thought the humans are the only people who can max all of their stats.... am I mistaken?

Ketchup345
Jan 31, 2004, 10:54 PM
On 2004-01-31 19:52, navi wrote:
Hm... I thought the humans are the only people who can max all of their stats.... am I mistaken?

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=940

Everyone but FOnewearl and HUnewearl (and apparently FOnewm) with enough armor units.

navci
Jan 31, 2004, 10:56 PM

Everyone but FOnewearl and HUnewearl (and apparently FOnewm) with enough armor units.

The disadvantge of being a newman? *kicks unfairness*

RicoRoyal
Jan 31, 2004, 11:03 PM
On 2004-01-31 19:56, navi wrote:

The disadvantge of being a newman? *kicks unfairness*

I think you just kicked unfairness all the way to the moon, what with our gigantic (see "awesome") shoes and all.

Tsudo_Plat
Jan 31, 2004, 11:21 PM
Stop your whining, you get your TP back when you stand still... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RicoRoyal
Jan 31, 2004, 11:27 PM
On 2004-01-31 20:21, Tsudo_Plat wrote:
Stop your whining, you get your TP back when you stand still... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

But you actually get the chance to have all yellow stats (with your two characters) at lvl 200!! Not mee..... not meeeeee!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It's all good, I guess I just won't be deflecting everything in ultimate... at least I'll have my kickassness (what a wonderful word).

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 12:31 AM
This belongs to Site Related or Rants depending on the mods' moods.

RicoRoyal
Feb 1, 2004, 01:04 AM
On 2004-01-31 21:31, Kefka wrote:
This belongs to Site Related or Rants depending on the mods' moods.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I already mentioned that wayyy up top... oh and thanks for the useful/thoughtful reply. Note that this is not a rant. I specifically asked for some people to check my math in my first post. Again, thanks everyone...

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 01:48 AM
what did you expect ? I suck at maths, I was not going to try to prove you wrong, especially when you seem to be just right
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

VulpesMundi
Feb 1, 2004, 02:06 AM
Even though they can't completely max their stats, the three Newmen classes can wind up with extremely high overall stats. Considering the combination of ATP, DFP, MST, ATA, EVP, and LCK... A HUnewearl can get roughly 4017/4113 (highest total in the game), a FOnewm 3728/3736 (second highest force, fifth highest in the game), and a FOnewearl 3870/3892 (highest force, third highest in the game). You call that unfair? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, a FOnewm winds up with 531 EVP naturally at level 200. That's 148 from the absolute maximum of 679. But you already figured that out. So yeah, the guide has an error in it.

Following is my suggestion for the closest to max stat FOnewm you can get. It'll max all stats except Luck, which misses by 8. Problem is it requires 4 God/Ability units to achieve.

Materials...
Power: 0
Def: 0
Mind: 115
Evade: 34
Luck: 1

MAG...
DEF: 5
POW: 61
DEX: 88
MIND: 46

Units...
God/Ability x4

* You can swap Mind/Pow mats and oppositely swap POW/MIND levels on the MAG. Also, if you'd rather max LCK instead of EVP you can swap out 4 Evade mats and use 4 Luck mats instead. You could also swap out 4 MAG levels from DEX and put those on POW/MIND and swap over 4 Power/Mind mats for 4 Luck mats. In that scenario you'd only miss max ATA by 2 - not a good idea if you choose to use weapons, especially S-rank guns.

It's a shame MAGs are forced to have 5 DEF. Those 5 levels are completely wasted and would have allowed a FOnewm to completely max if they could be allocated to POW/MIND.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-01-31 23:14 ]</font>

RicoRoyal
Feb 1, 2004, 02:55 AM
On 2004-01-31 23:06, VulpesMundi wrote:
Even though they can't completely max their stats, the three Newmen classes can wind up with extremely high overall stats. Considering the combination of ATP, DFP, MST, ATA, EVP, and LCK... A HUnewearl can get roughly 4017/4113 (highest total in the game), a FOnewm 3728/3736 (second highest force, fifth highest in the game), and a FOnewearl 3870/3892 (highest force, third highest in the game). You call that unfair? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, a FOnewm winds up with 531 EVP naturally at level 200. That's 148 from the absolute maximum of 679. But you already figured that out. So yeah, the guide has an error in it.

Following is my suggestion for the closest to max stat FOnewm you can get. It'll max all stats except Luck, which misses by 8. Problem is it requires 4 God/Ability units to achieve.

Materials...
Power: 0
Def: 0
Mind: 115
Evade: 34
Luck: 1

MAG...
POW: 61
MIND: 46

Units...
God/Ability x4

* You can swap Mind/Pow mats and oppositely swap POW/MIND levels on the MAG. Also, if you'd rather max LCK instead of EVP you can swap out 4 Evade mats and use 4 Luck mats instead. You could also swap out 4 MAG levels from DEX and put those on POW/MIND and swap over 4 Power/Mind mats for 4 Luck mats. In that scenario you'd only miss max ATA by 2 - not a good idea if you choose to use weapons, especially S-rank guns.

It's a shame MAGs are forced to have 5 DEF. Those 5 levels are completely wasted and would have allowed a FOnewm to completely max if they could be allocated to POW/MIND.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-01-31 23:14 ]</font>

Okay, I just checked your math real quick... You sir are genius. I didn't think anyone would care to actually look into what I was talking about but you have come along and proven me wrong. Thank so much for giving your input. Just as I was reading your message I was about to feed my FOnewm the luck material that would have pushed him over the 5 mat material limit. Thank you!!!!! Seriously, thank you very very very much. Your numbers are perfect considering as you said, that Mags start out with the 5 DEF. Already I've decided to go with the -8 EVP idea that you gave. I figure thats great anyways considering that the original guide I was following would have put me at -72 EVP. Again, thank you for your help. About the god/abilities, you may remember not too long ago that I was asking about East Tower Runs. I know it will take nearly 2 months assuming I play a good 4 hours a day, but I will nonetheless get those god/abilities. Damn, this is freaking awesome!

Primrose
Feb 1, 2004, 04:34 AM
Actually VulpesMundi came pretty close. But you can max the stats out.
Ok, so my calculations are very similar to those of VulpesMundi, lets have a look at the missing stats:

ATP = 201 (-80=121)
DFP = 55 (-80=0)
MST = 402 (-80=322)
ATA = 52 (-8=44)
EVP = 148 (-80=68)
LCK = 90 (-80=10)

Now minus the 80 in all stats except for ATA where you minus 8 you get the bold numbers, so thats what we want to concentrate on.

My formula is:
Mag:
DEF:5
POW:61
DEX:88
MIND:46

Materials:
Power Material:0
Def Material:0
Mind Material:111
Evade Material:34
Luck Material:5

Like this, you will have 8 MST left. Then again, dont forget that there are many Force Weapons that boost MST, especially Wand type Weapons.
Any Weapon/Shield that boosts MST or LCK will add it to your maximum.
Therefore i would rather recommend leaving MST unmaxed.
But if youre the perfectionist you said, you can maybe think about finding a Red Ring, which will also add 20 LCK and 20 MST to your maximum stats. With that item you will have max stats no matter what weapon you have equipped, you even can swap some Luck/Mind Materials and Mind(Mag) stats since you have some extra stat points. But dont forget that its not easy at all to acquire 4 God/Abilities.

RicoRoyal
Feb 1, 2004, 04:55 AM
Okay, I figured out exactly what I'm going to do with my materials and mags now. So here goes. Primrose, I chose to go with the -8 EVP approach. About the Red Ring, unless Falz miraculously starts dropping the item then I certainly won't be taking that approach but thank you for throwing another idea out there for other people consider.

So here goes...

Materials -
ATP: 59
DFP: 0
MST: 56
EVP: 30
LCK: 5

Mag -
POW: 2
MIND: 105

Units-
God/Ability x4 (Not to worry, I'm willing to spend the time to get these... I already had planned to get three in 27 days, whats another 9 days gonna hurt)

I'd like to thank both Vulpes and Primrose for all your great advice. I really do appreciate you two taking the time to post. Well, now that this is over, it's time to go find me some materials...

Edit: fixed typo in DFP materials

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RC4 on 2004-02-01 11:23 ]</font>

Primrose
Feb 1, 2004, 06:29 AM
I general, i would never use guides to make copy strategies and so, just use them maybe as a guideline.
As like you said, you made numerous errors, so its always good to calculate things in advance, if you care about maxing character stats that is.

Youre welcome anyway, its nice to help.
Regarding your choice: of course if you made up your mind its your decision, so im not trying to change your mind. I just wanted to point out that if MST or LCK is unmaxed, say 8 is missing there, you still have at least a chance of maxing it with the proper Weapon/Shield, where as if 8 EVP is missing you will never get the chance of even maxing it, thats what i was trying to say above.
oh, theres a little typo on your Defence Material usage.
Have fun then with your FOnewm ^_^

Rainbowlemon
Feb 1, 2004, 07:59 AM
My brain hurts

Hrith
Feb 1, 2004, 01:28 PM
On 2004-02-01 04:59, Antimony wrote:
My brain hurts
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

navci
Feb 1, 2004, 01:38 PM
Darn, Si'ev is mat maxed... guess he will never see those yellow numbers. *sobs*

Ah well.

RicoRoyal
Feb 1, 2004, 02:22 PM
On 2004-02-01 10:38, navi wrote:
Darn, Si'ev is mat maxed... guess he will never see those yellow numbers. *sobs*

Ah well.

It's okay... you've still got your shoes and funny hats http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KaFKa
Feb 1, 2004, 02:28 PM
not to hijack this thread, but how exactly do you max out a HUcaseal, i currently have one at level 63, and i have only given her one power mat? *is too lazy to check if the guide on the site is right*