PDA

View Full Version : Which martial art is the best....

Dime
Feb 2, 2004, 08:09 PM
..if I wanna kick some ass?

Solstis
Feb 2, 2004, 08:15 PM
If you wanna look cool... learn the secrets of Tae-Bo.

Tae Kwon-Do is fun too.

Scejntjynahl
Feb 2, 2004, 08:22 PM
Jet Kwon Do (spelling) founded by Bruce Lee. A mix of three older chinese martial arts and his enphasis on speed over strength.

Ness
Feb 2, 2004, 09:23 PM
Tae-Kwon-Do.

Auronius
Feb 2, 2004, 09:23 PM
Drunken Boxing?

Hrith
Feb 2, 2004, 09:40 PM
Hakkyo-ku Ken

that you will probably not find in the US

I advise not doing Tae-kwon-do, you don't learn anything interesting before 4 years.

A bit the same for Ai-ki-do, in my experience.

Muay-thai is a good option.

Jeet Kune Do is efficient, but requires a lot of gymnastic skills >_<

Karate may teach you a lot, again I found Karate very boring in the long run >_>

Drunken Kung-fu is toooooooooooooooo difficult to master, it is one of the 4 Noble Arts, guess why ?

If you want something that will teach you how to "kick some ass" quick, full contact and kickboxing will do.

Solstis
Feb 2, 2004, 09:47 PM
On 2004-02-02 18:40, Kefka wrote:
Hakkyo-ku Ken

that you will probably not find in the US

I advise not doing Tae-kwon-do, you don't learn anything interesting before 4 years.

A bit the same for Ai-ki-do, in my experience.

Muay-thai is a good option.

Jeet Kune Do is efficient, but requires a lot of gymnastic skills >_<

Karate may teach you a lot, again I found Karate very boring in the long run >_>

Drunken Kung-fu is toooooooooooooooo difficult to master, it is one of the 4 Noble Arts, guess why ?

If you want something that will teach you how to "kick some ass" quick, full contact and kickboxing will do.

4 years to learn anything in Tae-Kwon-Do (should be pronounced "Tay")? It's 3!

KodiaX987
Feb 2, 2004, 09:54 PM
Why didn't anyone mention the ever popular "HADOKEN!!!"? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Solstis
Feb 2, 2004, 10:00 PM
On 2004-02-02 18:54, KodiaX987 wrote:
Why didn't anyone mention the ever popular "HADOKEN!!!"? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Ah... but that is ancient secret. Waoh! NInjas! Take this!

"Hadoken!"

The important part is that you have to call out your attacks.

Bradicus
Feb 2, 2004, 10:35 PM
"lead pipe"
or
"baseball bat"

The best way to kick ass, it to have a longer reach than your opponent (aka weapon).

Dhylec
Feb 2, 2004, 11:17 PM
On 2004-02-02 19:35, Bradicus wrote:
"lead pipe"
or
"baseball bat"
The best way to kick ass, it to have a longer reach than your opponent (aka weapon).

lol er, Final Fight anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
ah, that is in case opponent doesn't know any real martial art.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

InCognito
Feb 3, 2004, 03:27 AM
I'm a black-belt in Taekwondo. Only a first degree, but still. I haven't done it for a long time, and a lot of my friends think I'm a softy, but I bust it out occasionally if the need arises. It kind of amazes people to see this apparently unathletic guy kicking so high :|

hollowtip
Feb 3, 2004, 04:44 AM
Wow, I just learned Frank Dux is a fraud. Damn I loved Blood Sport too.

What was his style that he created? It was at the end of the credits. I would have said that style, but now the I know he's a fraud, I'm ashamed of his deception.

SorceressofTime
Feb 3, 2004, 07:13 AM
pfft, why bother learning a martial art when you just want to harm people? ><

one of the best martial art would be one that still keeps its honour.

_Sinue_
Feb 3, 2004, 10:45 AM
I like kick boxing personally.

You don't need a specific martial art to really mess someone up. You jus have to know how to scrap, and maybe wrestle. Tank Abbot is a "Street Fighter" - but I've seen him waste so many people with mixed martial arts backgrounds. He jus gets in there and pounds them into submission.

Go greasy biker dude!

goku4ever
Feb 3, 2004, 11:18 AM
Kung Fu. Whole body is secret weapon..

Daikarin
Feb 3, 2004, 11:29 AM
Inside Kung Fu, I believe the quickest and most effective style is Wing Tsun, or wing chun.

But it's used only for purposes of self-defense and can be fatal, so it's not to go around "Kicking ass" with such dangerous knowledge.

And no, we they don't scream Jet Lee-style while attacking.

Hrith
Feb 3, 2004, 01:03 PM
On 2004-02-02 20:17, Dhylec wrote:
That is in case opponent doesn't know any real martial art.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
Exactly http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif
I was once "mugged" by someone with a big knife, too bad for him he couldn't use it efficiently.

And Kung-Fu is not a Martial Art.

Bradicus
Feb 3, 2004, 03:55 PM
On 2004-02-02 20:17, Dhylec wrote:

On 2004-02-02 19:35, Bradicus wrote:
"lead pipe"
or
"baseball bat"

lol er, Final Fight anyone? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
ah, that is in case opponent doesn't know any real martial art.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I just wish that everyone could get passed the whole "i took karate at the youth center for five years, Therefore, i am a deadly weapon" thing.

A lead pipe will break any body part set against it. As long as it is kept in motion, no one will try to get passed it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hrith
Feb 3, 2004, 04:09 PM
You do not seem to have any idea what it is to practice martial arts, Brad.

A man with a long sword, and no skill whatsoever at it, just trying to take advantage of the range or the blade wouldn't be a threat to me.

Rainbowlemon
Feb 3, 2004, 04:49 PM
I know this sounds stupid, but I actually want to go to Japan and learn first hand martial arts with some 'master' of some sort...maybe an all defense/throws martial art. Sounds a bit like a film, I know, but I wonder how many people have actually done it?

derBauer
Feb 3, 2004, 05:08 PM
On 2004-02-03 13:09, Kefka wrote:

A man with a long sword, and no skill whatsoever at it, just trying to take advantage of the range or the blade wouldn't be a threat to me.

You'd shit your pants if somebody robbed you with a big sword, stop trying to act otherwise. I don't know of anyone, ever who would have said that fighting someone that has a sword, while they are unarmed, poses no threat. Regardless of what you learned in your alledged 7 years of martial arts instruction, you have missed rule #1 which is don't run your mouth off.

PS, watching Lennox Lewis box does not count as martial art instruction.

Hrith
Feb 3, 2004, 05:27 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
Maybe you should have grown up where I have.
Kids...

Anubis_
Feb 3, 2004, 05:38 PM
Mui Thai is the best style.. period..

Once 5 kung-fu master faught five Mu Thai boxers.. They knocked the kung-fu master out in 2 mins each..

It was an offical fight.. completely true... I saw it on the travel channel.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Or if you dont want to spend money on a trainer.. just do like i did and develop your own fighting style....

I've practiced my own fighting style for years..... I use whatever object i can pickup and start swinging it around like a crazy person till either me or the person im fighting passes out.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

derBauer
Feb 3, 2004, 05:52 PM
On 2004-02-03 14:27, Kefka wrote:
Kids...

oooh, you're really scaring me. Where d'ya grow up, the mean streets of Greenwich?

Daikarin
Feb 3, 2004, 07:25 PM
On 2004-02-03 14:38, Anubis_ wrote:

Once 5 kung-fu master faught five Mu Thai boxers.. They knocked the kung-fu master out in 2 mins each..

Could the kung-fu masters be on a lower level than the Muai Thai's?

Solstis
Feb 3, 2004, 07:31 PM
On 2004-02-03 16:25, New Ultimate wrote:

On 2004-02-03 14:38, Anubis_ wrote:

Could the kung-fu masters be on a lower level than the Muai Thai's?

Muai Thai is all religious based (well, really for the money, but still). So they got a +5 divine intervention modifier compared the Kung Fu master's save roll of 10...

For one thing, if some idiot with a sword tries to mug you... walk away. I imagine it hard to chase after someone with a sword. "Grr!!! Oops, I dropped it. Can ya wait a second?"
And, if he (she) started to swing at you wildly, a miss is inevitable. Though I agree, there is the "OMFG! He's got a sword!" factor.

Outrider
Feb 3, 2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah, honestly, if you don't know how to use a sword, you're at a big disadvantage to somebody who's trained in any fighting style. They're heavier than you might think, and you have to figure out how to fight using the balance. If somebody is just swinging it wildly, get some distance from them and it'll be less trouble than you'd think.

But first off, who the heck is gonna carry around a longsword?

Solstis
Feb 3, 2004, 09:21 PM
On 2004-02-03 16:52, Outrider wrote:
Yeah, honestly, if you don't know how to use a sword, you're at a big disadvantage to somebody who's trained in any fighting style. They're heavier than you might think, and you have to figure out how to fight using the balance. If somebody is just swinging it wildly, get some distance from them and it'll be less trouble than you'd think.

Obviously some demented fellow, and I think that's the point. I wish I had a longsword that I could swing with careless abandon. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Then again, I probably couldn't even pick one up... curse my FOnewm ATP!

Bradicus
Feb 3, 2004, 10:45 PM
On 2004-02-03 14:27, Kefka wrote:
Kids...

give me a little credit :/
I know for a fact that you, or any other sane person would fear a blade. Human nature.

I dont claim to know what you have gone through- to do so would be stupid- but the an extra three feet of appendage severing length will kill you.

KaFKa
Feb 4, 2004, 12:21 AM
White Dragon Shaolin Kenpo...

also, i myself would probably have that "OMFG!! HES GOT A FRICKEN SWORD!!" syndrome for about a second or two as i back away very quickly, then if he just swings it around mindlessly, i would be more apt to pick up a stick or something and run, throwing the stick.

remember kids, why fight a guy with a big sword if you have an escape route? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

SorceressofTime
Feb 4, 2004, 02:47 AM
i brutally hate Mui Thai, kick boxing etc, with a passion, and this is no joke.

they have no basic structure and most of them can't control themselves, and whoever is learning the so called 'martial art' decides that they can defeat any opponent regarding the style that person learns including their experience.
i hate arrogant people like that. the way they handle it, seems more like a sport and it sickens me.

Aredhel
Feb 4, 2004, 11:19 AM
I, too have heard bad things about Muy Thai boxers and their humongous ego - it's so odd to hear rumors like that. I usually wouldn't judge based on this sort of thing, but the pervasiveness of the rumors leads me to think that there might just be something to it...

Anyways, I'v elearned plenty of cool stuff in my 3.5 years taking Tae Kwon Do. I take it for physical fitness, self-defense and maybe a little artistic expression - not much more than that...

If you really wanted to, you could kill someone with a spoon through the eye - all that requires you to actually hurt someone is the will to do so. You don't need some arcane Martial Art that teaches you how to cause gallbladder failure within a week...

just the deranged will to intentionally hurt others to impose intimidation or threat.

BogusKun
Feb 4, 2004, 12:14 PM
Tae Kwon Do with a little Shotokan and mui tai and you're one dangerous mofo.

_Sinue_
Feb 4, 2004, 12:26 PM
Fucking refresh.... >_<

I have a sword I carry around ocassionally. Depends on where I'm going, since having a blade longer than 6 inches (including the anchor in the hilt) is illegal to have in public. If it's not a pocket knife or a skinning knife - you shouldn't leave the house with it.

And I dunno who would find a sword too heavy to weild appropriately. A big two handed goliath of a sword maybe, but I have a 3 foot ripple blade sword that's sharp enough to easily kill someone.. and it can't weight more than about 2lbs max. A lil more weight would probably help the penetration... but any kind of horizontal movement across the skin is going to leave a nasty wide gash. I tend to fold it back up under my arm, and put my elbow into the swings. Lil awkward, but adds more force to the swing, and it's easy to jab like that... expecially since when you swing the blade around to the position you'd normally hold it at, it's already got that upward momentum to help dig the blade in deeper if your attacker tries to jump you.

Granted, I don't know how to use it very efficently, but sword fights aren't that common these days, so not a lot of people know how to defend against someone using one - even if their not proficient with it.

DeathCheese87
Feb 4, 2004, 04:18 PM
I would think if someone was confident in their martial artistry(?), they wouldn't really be afraid of an bladed weapon.

Still, the outcome depends on skill.

Bradicus
Feb 4, 2004, 04:21 PM
[/quote]
The Highlander >_>

Kadou
Feb 4, 2004, 05:04 PM
Kodachi (an extension of Aikido).

Daikarin
Feb 4, 2004, 05:17 PM
On 2004-02-03 23:47, SorceressofTime wrote:

they have no basic structure and most of them can't control themselves, and whoever is learning the so called 'martial art' decides that they can defeat any opponent regarding the style that person learns including their experience.

I know what you mean. My former master was once challenged to a real fight by the leader of a Muai Thai school. The leader wanted to beat him down just for the credit of it.

SubstanceD
Feb 4, 2004, 05:23 PM
Tai-Kwan-Do is my favorite martial art. If I had all the time in the world then I defently love to learn ( and perfect ) it. Unfortunatly kicking is not my strong point, I'm also not as agile as I would like to be so even though I would love to learn Tae-Kwan-Do it probably isn't the martial art that would suit me best.

Jeet-Kun-Do is also another martial art that I would like to learn. I also think that if I had the lessons and put the time and effort into it thatI would be pretty good at it. It would defently suit me alot better than Tai-Kwan-Do.

I am also intrigued by the art of Judo, maybe it's because I am a wrestling ( both pro and amateur ) fan, I like holds and throws.

Once when I was very young and I still lived in the Caribbean I met a man who offered to teach me and my friends Kung Fu ( there were no formal martial art shools where I grew up so this was a BIG deal at the time ). He taught us a hand based style of Kung Fu ( I don't know how it is spelled but it is pronounced somthing like San-sou ) which suited me quite well since I was good with my hands but crap with my feet. I stopped taking the lessons after I learned that the man was a fraud ( well not really, he himself had only ever achieved a green belt so he did not have much to teach us ). I am greatful for what I learned even though they were all basics ( and all comon sense things that I had already picked up watching martial arts films ), I just wish that I had formal training.

DarthFomar
Feb 5, 2004, 01:56 AM
Jeet Kune Do is awesome...

There's also gotta be some kinda lost martial art from hundreds and hundreds of years ago...you know really deadly and secretive, the kind of fighting style not just anyone had the privilege of learning...possibly even, illegal!!!

Swords are good too...I have a few, and I guarantee you if someone breaks into my house they will have an expensive samurai blade jabbed into their ass from my sneak attack. Then they would file a lawsuit against me...hopefully they wouldn't win lol.

opaopajr
Feb 6, 2004, 06:33 AM
i was thinking of learning penjat silak, just for the snapping wrist movements (goes so well with a fan) and the funny name, but, eh, changed my mind.

maybe i'll take ichibana, the art of flower arranging - if i remember correctly i think japanese culture relegated its importance at one time to that of a martial art. required learning for cultured samurai. that'd be fun.

or maybe something nice and friendly and geriatric like tai chi. do some tai chi, go to the sparrow house, have some tea, read the paper. yeah, sounds fun and mildly dangerous - never know when a bird is gonna fling their birdseed into your tea.

i should do some research into a good martial art available where i live. something i can incorporate into dancing... wonder what...

hollowtip
Feb 7, 2004, 02:31 PM
http://www.the-battleground.com/videos/fridaynight3.mpg

Aunt_Betty
Feb 7, 2004, 06:27 PM
Why learn martial arts if you can learn fencing?You don't have to carry a sword around ; use everything around you and even your fists.

Mattacon
Feb 7, 2004, 06:28 PM
Kickboxing.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 9, 2004, 12:49 PM
On 2004-02-03 13:49, Antimony wrote:
I know this sounds stupid, but I actually want to go to Japan and learn first hand martial arts with some 'master' of some sort...maybe an all defense/throws martial art. Sounds a bit like a film, I know, but I wonder how many people have actually done it?

You don't have to go to Japan to learn from a Grand Master.

The Grand Master of Escrima-do operates out of Merced, California. People come from all over the world for blackbelt tests from him.

Escrima-do is a very nice style to learn. As with any style, you do have to learn the basic hand-to-hand techniques, but its focus is on using sticks and knives. My brother-in-law, Kirk (the creator of Dragoon) studies under Sefu Abrasce (I'm certain I've spelled his name wrong), the Grand Master I'm refering to. Some of the katas he does are quite scary. Many of the knife techniques used, if used full-contact with real knives, will make no hesitance to spill the contents of your torso. In this style, simply catching someone's wrist is a que to take three or four very quick slices at your opponent's ribs and sides. Some of the katas that've been demonstrated by the instructor are guaranteed to kill without a weapon.

So, anyway yeah, if you want to learn something that'll be lethal very quickly, Escrima-do is the way to go.