PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Disc Read Error

Dangerous55
Feb 4, 2004, 10:42 PM
Anyone getting these? I just got one today, the disc was kinda dirty and cleaned it then it worked. I am worried that I will start getting them alot soon, a DVD skipped today and everything seems to take longer to be read by the PS2. Anyone else having problems?

Also, how long does it take your PS2 to usually read a disc at startup?

badbitz
Feb 5, 2004, 12:28 AM
at start, it usually takes me like 5-8 secs to start. but then again, mine is pretty new http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Dangerous55
Feb 5, 2004, 12:33 AM
Mine is around there, maybe a few seconds longer, I have o test it.

Ever get a DRE?

Guile
Feb 5, 2004, 12:56 AM
My playstation just plain out won't read discs! I put them on and it says "reading disk" for a bout 1 second and nothing happens! It sucks...anyone know why?!!?!?!?

OriginalLacan
Feb 5, 2004, 01:01 AM
I posted a topic specifically about this problem and included steps on how to get it fixed by sony for free. Give me a minute, and i'll dig up the link

OriginalLacan
Feb 5, 2004, 01:10 AM
here ya go:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=72811&forum=9

the dreaded disk read error is a result of sony using inferior parts in order to lower the price for the us market. The most common symptoms are DRE when attempting to use blue bottom discs, but others include skipping and poor playback with dvd videos, and DRE's when trying to use regular PS2 discs.

Hope that helps.
and for the record, it took about a week and a half to get my ps2 back after sending it in, and this was during christmas. I've heard of people getting their's back in as little as 2 days during non-holiday periods.

DarthFomar
Feb 5, 2004, 02:29 AM
There is nothing that can be done about the very frustrating disc read error...some of my friends even tried the technique that GamePro offered in one of their magazines. But they still get them. After buying a brand new ps2 it eventually starts the disc read error...it's pretty hard to avoid, but there have been a few people that haven't had the problem. They either haven't had it or they've had it very little. Sometimes technology is a pain in the ass-crack and you just can't itch it. Your best bet...do not buy another ps2, wait until the ps3 comes out in the next year or two *whenever*. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ketchup345
Feb 5, 2004, 06:34 AM
On 2004-02-04 23:29, DarthFomar wrote:
Your best bet...do not buy another ps2, wait until the ps3 comes out in the next year or two *whenever*. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The way discussed in the topic posted above works, no matter how old your PS2 is, even if the warranty is up.

You get it repaired for only the cost of shipping (about $20 with insurance); so you wouldn't have to buy another one.

Dangerous55
Feb 5, 2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, well right now it isnt bad at all. I am going to dust it and use a lens cleaner disc thingy to help it.

If it gets too bad I will either get a new PS2 or more likely get the free tune-up.

Saladwood
Feb 5, 2004, 06:00 PM
older PS2s don't seem as sturdy as the new ones and have more troble reading some discs.

mine is from the first batch and has trouble loading some games sometimes.

SUCKS!

BogusKun
Feb 5, 2004, 06:05 PM
Sit your PS2's Upright!

anwserman
Feb 5, 2004, 06:47 PM
My Dreamcast works like I bought it yesterday. Heh, except the disks are scratched. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I should ask my friend about her PS2, because I think she has issues with blue-bottom discs too.

OriginalLacan
Feb 6, 2004, 01:05 AM
The key is to never buy a first run of any of sony's products. always wait at least a year or two.

I bought one of the first PS1's on the shelf (the small ones), and had the joy of experiencing the infamous game freeze/laser meltdown syndrome caused by Sony's buy from the lowest bidder strategy.

My PS2 suffered from the freezing dvds, and DRE's.
same cause.

I grabbed one of the earlier vaio notebooks in the PCG-R505DL model run, and it now suffers from a useless cd-rw/dvd drive. cause? same as the ps2, a faulty lens that will not read cd-r's.

When sony was showing those commercials for ps2, that had the virtual reality, PS9, all I could think of was, "Gee, I wonder how many people's brains would be bbq before they fix the flaws for that one?"

anyways, back on topic, cleaning the lens usually does nothing for the DRE's. Keep an eye on your system though, because the DRE's often start out slow and become more and more common as the days go by. As far as shipping costs go, the repair facilities are usually pretty close (it took ups a total of 4 or 5 hours to deliver mine once they had scanned it in and loaded it.) and I paid less than $10 for shipping via ups ground, with insurance.

opaopajr
Feb 6, 2004, 07:26 AM
...and the funniest thing is i have a sony walkman from 1980 that works as good as it did back then. dropped that sucker several times, took it around the world, has 2 headphone ports(!), and a long battery life. love it.

same thing with a 1983 sony stereo. have nothing but glowing reviews of the thing.

but somehow during the 90's quality went down really fast. have another sony stereo that started malfunctioning within 3 months. watched so many of my friends' PSXs malfunction, and countless walkmans and other stereos just becoming junk in under a year.

things have drastically changed for them. i don't trust their products anymore. wonder what they did to screw up production...?

Outrider
Feb 6, 2004, 10:24 AM
Heh, and my friends have to turn their PSX upside down to get it to work properly. Gotta love Sony sometimes.

Anubis_
Feb 6, 2004, 01:57 PM
Buy a sony disk cleaning cd.. (one of those cds with the brush on the bottom..)

Mine used to have disc read error all the time.. so i sent it to get fixed..

a couple of months later i did it again.. so I sent it in.. again.. to get fixed..

A few months after that it started doing it again.. so i bought the cleaning cd and ran it through..
It works now.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The audio track wont play.. but all u really have to do is put it in and let it turn..

Aslo try vacuming it out like the instruction booklets says..

goku4ever
Feb 6, 2004, 02:18 PM
since when was PSO out on playstation 2?

Dangerous55
Feb 6, 2004, 03:17 PM
On 2004-02-06 11:18, goku4ever wrote:

Since when did Off Topic have anything to do with PSO?

AUTO_
Feb 7, 2004, 12:00 AM
On 2004-02-06 07:24, Outrider wrote:
Heh, and my friends have to turn their PSX upside down to get it to work properly. Gotta love Sony sometimes.

That brings back good memories http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Yeah, my PS2 has DRE's too...but it doesn't really matter because I don't play it anymore.

Maybe I'll panic when MGS3 comes out?

goku4ever
Feb 9, 2004, 12:35 PM
On 2004-02-06 12:17, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2004-02-06 11:18, goku4ever wrote:

Since when did Off Topic have anything to do with PSO?

ah touschay