PDA

View Full Version : Another rant about pso

Armok
Feb 5, 2004, 07:06 AM
I feel old now when visiting these forums. Theres barely ever a topic of interest to me left. Its all wheres this, wheres that and wats the best level to etc. Really i know all these stuff now and if I don't know it have the knowledge to look it up within 3 minutes on the internet.

I've personally been playing since the week before the offical pal release of DC ver1. Back in the day it was fresh and stupidily I picked a Force as my first char (anyone whos played dc will know this to be a mistake for a newbie). Anyway I'm now on over 2000hrs of total play time and never have found anything above a drop rate of 3000, so am sceptical of all supa rare finds and such.

In fact I look down on all those players that are grabby towards stuff and build up such anger when they don't get a drop they want, care about getting to a really high lv and having a load of unused collectables in their bank.

When I enter games with my vulcan, basic lv200 mag and non visible armor/sheild. PPl often offer to give me duped amazing stuff thinking I'm some kind of idiot/n00b despite the fact I've just floored the room before they even could approach anything with their BKB.

Back in day on DC/early GC I had it all, the perfect team of friends, decent games, motivation etc. We always had something going on wether it be new chars or getting a srank in cmode. We would spend hrs just talking about strange finds we've had and football results etc. We didnt look down on ppl with all the dupes and haked items, the fact is we had connections to get all this stuff if we ever wanted to mess about with or try something etc. I remember once I lost all my 4 best character with over 1000hrs and although annoyed I recreated him and my 3 friends each started a new char and we had some great normal lv up games. I played almost every night online for over 2 years. Now i play at holidays for 2 weeks at best.

Ok this rants a bit all over the place I know but I need to know is anyone still living the dream or has the mass obcession with leveling and item hunting destroyed the pso community I knew and loved.

Deathscythealpha
Feb 5, 2004, 08:01 AM
I dont think PSO as the same when it moved to the GC and Xbox. Its intial charm was gone and as you said, all people were interested in was finding the super rares. I remember when a Varista and DB's Sabers were the super rares everyone was running around with (and remembers being awe struck at gypsy's Varista cause it did so much damage).

And from the sounds of it, no one ever has real fun in the lobbies anymore. The days of having a whole lobby fall over at once or running into walls is gone.

But then again, its probably the same as every game, once all the new, flashy expansion packs are out and everyone tired with the story they like the back of their hands, they just go out for the rares and exp.

ABDUR101
Feb 5, 2004, 08:44 AM
I can say this though, it was a helluva fun experience while it lasted way back when. =]

I remember talking in the lobby for an hour or more, then we'd head out and play through an entire area, or even from Forest-Ruins in one sitting, multiple times a night, and it was all just for the sure hell of it. We did'nt care if we got any rares or not, it was just fun as hell doing it all on a console, having people running around, casting spells, slashing massive swords and partisans, firing off volleys with guns. It all just seemed like orchestrated chaos.

I myself, haven't played the game in a long time. I used to play it upwards of 18 hours a day while I was working at home(back when I was staying up two days at a time). I recently loaded up my HUcast on GC, lvl 111. I wanted to try and clear Normal VR Temple in Episode 2, since I had only played V. Hard Episode 2. Heh, I got half way through VR Temple 2 and quit, it just ended up giving me a headache.

However, I already had my replacement in order. My 14 year old nephew had watched me play since Vers 1, and eventually started his own char on my DC, which made it to lvl 27 when he quit. Then recently he got the GC version and has a lvl 50 or so character, and his twin brothers of age 7 have their own characters.

Hrith
Feb 5, 2004, 10:10 AM
As for me, on the contrary, my interest in PSO never ceased increasing.
PSO has not lost its charm, its charm has changed.

If you cannot find a good topic about PSO, make one.

Anubis_
Feb 5, 2004, 01:19 PM
I remember talking in the lobby for an hour or more, then we'd head out and play through an entire area, or even from Forest-Ruins in one sitting, multiple times a night, and it was all just for the sure hell of it. We did'nt care if we got any rares or not, it was just fun as hell doing it all on a console, having people running around, casting spells, slashing massive swords and partisans, firing off volleys with guns. It all just seemed like orchestrated chaos.

Thats the exact reason I play.. If your not haveing FUN playing a GAME.. then why are you even playing it..

In truth, the gameplay itself really bores me.. But the fact that i can interact with people online gives the game mutch replay value..

True I like to find rares and lvlup occasionaly to wear certain frames, but when things are taken to seriously it takes the fun out of it for me.. I mean then it seems like playing becomes a chore rather than a hobby..

_Sinue_
Feb 5, 2004, 02:16 PM
I need to know is anyone still living the dream or has the mass obcession with leveling and item hunting destroyed the pso community

I wouldn't say it's destoryed the community - but it has changed. And it wasn't just leveling up or item hunting that changed it - it's a lot of other factors as well.

PSO has changed, the spirit has changed, the people have changed. Anymore I jus go online out of habit and because I'm gettin my HL for free. I look through my card lists of all the friends I had durring the DC verion who moved over to this one - and they're gone. Noone is online. I try to join open games hoping that there would be someone I could connect with - or someone interesting in there. There never is. The only way I can really tell people apart anymore is by the character skins. Used to be that people online seemed so much more real - so different from one another - and interesting. Anymore it's just kids standing around LOLing.. and then LOLing at the others loling. Almost feels like a bad Bevis and Butthead episode sometimes.

Maybe it's there and I'm just too jaded to see it anymore.. I dunno. Weither it's changed or not, it's changed for me - and I don't like it. I'll play Ep III online for a bit, but I doubt I'll renew my HL once whoever is paying for it catches on and shuts me down.

Shimarisu
Feb 5, 2004, 02:34 PM
Christ, quit your whinging. Imagine the despair you feel at the death of society on a videogame and apply that to LIFE. I looked at all your profiles and would trade places with any of you in a heartbeat. Imagine having 10 years knocked off your lifespan, because that's all I am compared to you.

- Shimarisu

Solstis
Feb 5, 2004, 05:17 PM
On 2004-02-05 11:34, Shimarisu wrote:
Christ, quit your whinging. Imagine the despair you feel at the death of society on a videogame and apply that to LIFE. I looked at all your profiles and would trade places with any of you in a heartbeat. Imagine having 10 years knocked off your lifespan, because that's all I am compared to you.

- Shimarisu

I almost agree with Shim... you need to get over it people.
Things change, people change, but love is forever http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Or something.
I think it's kinda fun to play with random people you may not get along with. Adds some tension "C'mon, get in the teleporter before he gets back!"

ABDUR101
Feb 5, 2004, 05:29 PM
Actually, afew of us weren't even complaining.

derBauer
Feb 5, 2004, 05:41 PM

- Shimarisu

Even if he was whining, why is ok for you to whine and not him?
However, I don't see this post a whining as much as I see it reminiscing about the good ol days.

Think happy thoughts. All of you.

undevil
Feb 5, 2004, 05:45 PM
I am really new to PSO. I don't know how things were during the Dreamcast version. I thought the Dreamcast sucked anyways, so I don't really care.

Sometimes when I get really bored, I purpously go into normal battle games with my level 120 HUmar while the rest of them are on level 1-20 and I kill them+revive them to rekill them. Fun...

undevil
Feb 5, 2004, 06:01 PM
Well I take that back. I have been playing PSO on the PC for a while when the servers stopped working. I had the thing to enable you to save your charectar levels. It took me a day to download everything. That is how I initially learned about PSO.

Solstis
Feb 5, 2004, 06:17 PM
*Thinks happy thoughts*

Yeah, I might not have as many "close" online buddies as I did on the DC, I met a couple of cool people and play with them regularily. Just gotta have patience until you find someone to play with.

oeagrus
Feb 6, 2004, 08:34 AM
...but then you stumble across something as benign as a Charge Vulcan with good hit % and suddenly you're tearing through levels with your little cute little FOmarl doing GuildMila-esque damage.

...and the whole game starts anew!

The game does start to get a little boring if you continually use the same weps (once you're above say level 150). But use a Madams Parasol with your HUnewearl or use a Red Slicer with your Force. Equip something you normally wouldn't, and try to become an expert with it. Or just tech evey Vulcan you find and collect the whole set!

I guess I'm just saying that if you play to gain experience (and keep looking at your experience count and your "to the next level" count) you lose focus of the fun. Just play and kill, and occasionally you'll gain a level.

Armok
Feb 7, 2004, 07:29 AM

- Shimarisu

U always make me feel so much better Shimarisu its nice to know someones having a worse time than me.

Link00seven
Feb 7, 2004, 09:06 AM
On 2004-02-05 05:44, ABDUR101 wrote:

I know man, it was times like that back in Titania block 10 that can never happen again.

Our friend here brings a valid point to us all, what has become of PSO? I will admit, once I got PSO GC, something changed. It just didnt have what Ver.2 had. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was almost a feeling inside me, thinking "great, new stuff!...but wheres the fun?"

I say now, and I'll continue to say it, PSO Version 2 is THE best version of PSO there ever was, or will be. And you can change the "2" to the "1" if you never got Ver.2.

Daikarin
Feb 7, 2004, 09:39 AM
On 2004-02-07 04:29, Armok wrote:

- Shimarisu

U always make me feel so much better Shimarisu its nice to know someones having a worse time than me.

What he said.

Ness
Feb 7, 2004, 10:08 AM
PSO was at it's peak during DC ver1. At that time, it was new, fresh, exicting, and best of all, free. While GC and Xbox PSo were fun, they couldn't comapre to DC ver1.

ILLI
Feb 7, 2004, 10:11 AM
try taking a little break from the game.. It always calls you back... "PSO come play me you addicted freak".. echo echo

I honestly think if ST keeps putting these pso games out ill be playing until well into my 60's...

opaopajr
Feb 8, 2004, 07:56 AM
don't play because "it's my routine" play because you want to.

hard advice to take i know, even i have trouble with it, but it helps perspective. nothing was supposed to be fun eternally if done in a mundane and tedious manner. it's play, not work.

that said, yeah, the magic left me considerably. i used to wallow in the glory of destruction and trying to perfect it. but it eventually gets old, variety is the spice of life. and the community doesn't help much either.

but it is as it should be, for everything has its season, turn, turn, turn...

ps: though my RAmar is really quite fun, magic ranger with a scythe is seriously keeping me entertained.