PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying in PSO

Rem
Apr 15, 2001, 02:24 AM
I've noticed something since I first checked out pso. Most characters focus on level gaining and item obtaining as their primary goal in playing the game. These things are deffinitely cool, and a crucial part of the experience. One element that seems to be lacking in the game is roleplaying -people acting as characters in the Phantasy Star universe. While it does appear goofy at times, theres really nothing like losing yourself inside a fictional character. This post is not an attempt to try and get people to start acting more "in-character" or anything, and is certainly not to put anyone down. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on this subject, and find if anyone else has made the same observation.

Arliman
Apr 15, 2001, 02:42 AM
Well, you've got a good point there. It is difficult to do such a thing in a game with such a limited scope. Storyline in practically nonexistant when you compare to the pedigree of the previous Phantasy Stars, and trying to find a character's niche is difficult when you hardly have a "world" to realize them in. As far as getting in character, some of us do really well with what we have. For example, a good friend of mine plays a Racaseal named "Rio", and all of her message binds are in character, ala "This unit requests team location.." "This unit requires assistance." etc. The character I play is a Hunewear, and a veteran at that, so all of her message binds are set in an older, mature, almost gruff tone " This..I was not prepared for..." "Ok people, lock and load, we're going in...". You get the point, plusit helps that the guys I usually play with are my D&D buddies, so getting into character isn't really that difficult. You'd be surprised how many people try to "be" their characters, but some need a bit more environment to be immersive.

Acel
Apr 15, 2001, 06:30 AM
Well its not that hard...for a start my tiny Fonewearl(Lalalu) runs around yelling "wai~! wai~!" everytime she goes into the lobby area... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

Fav lineshttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gifjapanese)
umiu~!
ru ru~ ru ru~
nyahaha~
o~happi~!

Wu
Apr 15, 2001, 06:41 AM
My RAcaseal I see more as a girl marine than machine, so she's a rough tough little bitch, spouting off one liners like a female Arnie.

My HUcast Ive always seen as big and dumb, but hard. He is the Tick with an attitude.

My FOnewm is more like me, laid back and ready to help out, but kicks ass when needed.

Rem
Apr 15, 2001, 09:48 AM
I definitely agree with you Arliman. The storyline doesn't contain the poignant moments that connect people emotionally with their characters, except for the battle with Dark Falz. Even though its not real, just thinking of thousands of people dying and their ghosts just floating around...kind of sad. But I guess I just haven't been around long enough to really see anyone get into their character.

SaitoH
Apr 15, 2001, 11:40 AM
On 2001-04-15 00:42, Arliman wrote:
As far as getting in character, some of us do really well with what we have. For example, a good friend of mine plays a Racaseal named "Rio", and all of her message binds are in character, ala "This unit requests team location.." "This unit requires assistance." etc.

Rio is COOL, I wish I could find her to play with again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif
I have met other people that role play a bit as well. I think its great. It adds alot to the game and gives the "generic characters" that the game provides much more personality.