PDA

View Full Version : Meh. Silent treatment

navci
Feb 6, 2004, 09:22 PM
Hm. My own rant, yay.

I hate the silent treatment, I hate it so much. *sobs*
Dammit. Okay. To sum everything up. Hm, I been unemployed for a while now. My parents think I am useless and lazy and keep pressuring me for various things. I live with my bro now, and he is a fukktard. Our most recent fight was horrible. I was arguing with him whether or not he should share some responsibilities in the apartment. I really don't see why I am the one who has to cook and clean and wash the toilet when the both of us need to eat, sleep and poop also. He disagreed, he said it's all my problem. He can do fine without eating, he doesnt mind filthy bathroom and so on.

And boil down the arguement. He just hates me and hence he is jusitified for being a jerk to me at all times. (I will not go into how he would be the meaniest jerk to me when he is the only person I see on a constant basis) Anyway. Since we had the arguement, he has been giving me the silent treatment. He won't talk to me, he lock himself in his little room all day. And throw me the utter look of contempt if we pass each other by.

It sucks. On my part, I know I shouldn't let it get to me. But then it really is hard when it is the only thing you see everyday. And I really don't see how he can be resentful for things that I didn't choose. (like being born first, being born into the same family as he does, or being born, period)

The stress is driving me nuts. From parents and from him. The silence is like a weight on my shoulders,...

*goes off into corner and sob eyes out*

edit: It is not I don't wanna be optimistic. People who know me know that I am. I try to not let things get to me. But... really, when it's constantly in your face, pulling your hair... it's hard to ignore...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navi on 2004-02-06 18:26 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 6, 2004, 09:52 PM
My thought on this, is that you obviously care greatly for your brother, or it wouldn't bother you so much that he's avoiding you.

It's kind of odd, because often times, a person's personality moves like water trying to drain through a drain plug-- The water keeps pushing against the plug, trying to get through the hole, but the more it pushes, the more firmly the plug secures the hole.

In other words, sometimes our efforts to directly solve our problems only keep our problems firmly in place.

Now, I'm not going to argue with you on who should be doing what around your apartment (quite frankly, it's none of my business), but a brother and sister should never be angry with eachother, if it can be avoided.

Now seeing that you're both of adult age, and living together, it's understandable that you're frustrated with eachother. My own brother and sister went through the same thing, several years ago. It is inevitable that any two adults, living together because they are associated with eachother for reasons they cannot control, will eventually, well, bug out on eachother. This is why most people move out of their parents' homes.

In this case, I think the best solution is to just go ahead and persue a conversation with him. You must be careful, however, to never indicate anger. So long as you're civil with him, he'll be inclined to be civil with you (you'd be surprised at how quickly you can calm someone down, by simply acting calm yourself-- just be sure to steer clear of any conversation point about their anger). A person that percieves no personal threat, will usually not react in a threatening manner.

Once you get passed that, when the subject of cooking and cleaning the can comes up, just ask him one question: Does he want the same hands that clean the throne to be cooking his food?

Robo47
Feb 6, 2004, 10:02 PM
Navi, I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful but...
*inhale*
*pause*
How old are you?

I have this thing to where I can't give good advice unless I know the persons age...

KodiaX987
Feb 6, 2004, 10:08 PM
I say give him the silent treatment too. Make your own meals, do your own thing, mind your own business. No use sticking around and talking to someone who hates your guts.

Ness
Feb 6, 2004, 10:57 PM
Navi, I think it's time you found a job an moved out. I can't speak for everone else, but when someone is being a jerk to me, I don't want to be around them.

Bradicus
Feb 6, 2004, 11:28 PM
Wow... i tried the silent treatment at the age of ten. It seemed pathetic then.

I cant seem to imagine a grown man being so immature.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2004-02-06 20:30 ]</font>

Sord
Feb 6, 2004, 11:44 PM
Well, socking them a few times always worked for me, course those were the bullies at school. Also, you could wind up in jail, unlike me. Although if your brother slapped you back, then he would get in bigger trouble (that's why i say if girl's want completely equal rights, than gender based chivalry must die.) Course, that might make things even worse. For me though, I became friends for awhile with the people i beat up, funny really.

Anyways, what Abdur said. He needs to be a phycologist or something.

Robo47
Feb 6, 2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Bradicus is right, your bro must be immature.

Good thing I gave you Robo21 to beat around when you get frustrated! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Robo47
Feb 6, 2004, 11:47 PM
On 2004-02-06 20:44, Sord wrote:
Well, socking them a few times always worked for me, course those were the bullies at school. Also, you could wind up in jail, unlike me. Although if your brother slapped you back, then he would get in bigger trouble (that's why i say if girl's want completely equal rights, than gender based chivalry must die.) Course, that might make things even worse. For me though, I became friends for awhile with the people i beat up, funny really.

Anyways, what Abdur said. He needs to SEE a phycologist or something.

Had to correct something!

ABDUR101
Feb 7, 2004, 11:21 AM
People, this is my first post in this topic. Drugs are bad, mmmkay.

Besides, Navi just wanted to vent here instead of letting it eat at her, and I'm sure she knows what to do in the end.

navci
Feb 7, 2004, 03:16 PM
On 2004-02-06 19:57, Ness wrote:
Navi, I think it's time you found a job an moved out. I can't speak for everone else, but when someone is being a jerk to me, I don't want to be around them.

Navi is trying to find a job. While she is still unemployed, it is likely she can't move out. This is one of the frustrating things though. Somehow my bro has become my responsibility. I cannot go anywhere technically without him in my luggage. If I were to suggest that I move out and not live with my bro again, I think both my parents will freak and call me horrible disgraceful names said I would abandon a family member... and things like that.

Thing is, hey, am I supposed to be stuck with him forever? *shudders at the thought*

He is their responsibility, not mine. I was stuck with him since he was 14. I practically had to take up the role as a parent. Was it fair to me? :/

Ness
Feb 7, 2004, 03:34 PM
I agree, your brother is not your repsonsiblity. You should tell your parents that he's their child, not yours.

KodiaX987
Feb 7, 2004, 09:53 PM
Good luck. Parents are dumbfucks by definition...

Ness
Feb 7, 2004, 10:45 PM
On 2004-02-07 18:53, KodiaX987 wrote:
Good luck. Parents are dumbfucks by definition...

Off topic for a second:

Kodia, check your damn PM's every once in awhile.

KodiaX987
Feb 7, 2004, 11:36 PM
Nothing new. Should I expect anything?

Nightmarexlc
Feb 8, 2004, 06:57 AM
On 2004-02-06 20:28, Bradicus wrote:
Wow... i tried the silent treatment at the age of ten. It seemed pathetic then.

I cant seem to imagine a grown man being so immature.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2004-02-06 20:30 ]</font>

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif you think that's bad my DAD does that cra.p when he's mad at me (its always for something stupid too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif ) i just say to myself " http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif PSO all-nighters for the week!"

but HUneweral_Meria made a interesting point...The one about it shows you care if this sorta thing gets to you, heh i almost... ALMOST feel bad that it doesn't http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

navci
Feb 8, 2004, 01:32 PM
but HUneweral_Meria made a interesting point...The one about it shows you care if this sorta thing gets to you, heh i almost... ALMOST feel bad that it doesn't http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

D'uh. Of course I love my brother. I just hate him when he is a depressed jerk. (I don't know what happened to make him one...)

I am trying to break the ice now. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Last night friends and I made a cake, I put salt accidentally instead of sugar. *pauses to wait for laughter to die over*. I left him a piece of that cake.

... Not a good idea, ne? Haha