PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they use Word Select?

Myopathy
Feb 7, 2004, 12:54 AM
I've had several occasions while playing on the JP servers where the player I am playing with WON'T use Word Select. I'll tell them that I'm from the US, and I ask them to please use Word Select. And they might even say "Understood" or what not. But then they just won't. They keep talking to me in Japanese. I'll keep saying "I don't understand what you mean," and "Please use WORD SELECT." However, they continue just talking to me in Japanese. Is there a reason for this? Do some players just don't know how to use Word Select? Or is there a particular reason they won't use it.

Miso
Feb 7, 2004, 01:02 AM
eep!maybe they r just trying 2 annoy u...

lain2k3
Feb 7, 2004, 10:14 AM
I'm not really clear on this either, but it is known that most JP players have kind of a grudge with the average US player (aka n00bzorz TJ hoomar)

yeah

and miso, i LOVE your sig, what flavor is that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2004-02-07 07:15 ]</font>

ILLI
Feb 7, 2004, 10:29 AM
perhaps they are not talking to you?

and yes.. you ever want to see how bad jpn players ignore US players go to the jpn cmode block..

Myopathy
Feb 7, 2004, 04:14 PM
Well the thing is that I don't think it's that they have something against me. In most cases, we had already played together and worked well together. In one case, they even gave me their card.

trypticon
Feb 7, 2004, 04:48 PM
If they have given you their guild card already, then it is confusing why they would keep talking to you in Japanese.

But yeah, if you want to see japanese players ignoring people with the english language setting, then go to Alcyone 6.

undevil
Feb 7, 2004, 05:55 PM
Maybe the thought that Japanese players don't understand English well never occured to you, but if I new Dutch but spoke American, I wouldn't be speaking Dutch in a Dutch room because although I understand how to speak it, I am probably not that good at speaking it. Also, people don't want to have to speak two differant languages in a server. If you want to be on the same terms as them, learn Japanese.

Jarek
Feb 7, 2004, 06:18 PM
On 2004-02-07 14:55, undevil wrote:
If you want to be on the same terms as them, learn Japanese.

i don't think that would be so easy... :/

but it's happened to me before, under those exact conditions. c-mode, ace6. everyone once in a while they would say something in english, but i mostly kept quiet and let them chat together(me and three other JP people were playing)
it still went pretty smoothly, but i can't help but wonder what they said the whole time... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

undevil
Feb 7, 2004, 06:24 PM
On 2004-02-07 15:18, psobsesser wrote:

i don't think that would be so easy... :/

but it's happened to me before, under those exact conditions. c-mode, ace6. everyone once in a while they would say something in english, but i mostly kept quiet and let them chat together(me and three other JP people were playing)
it still went pretty smoothly, but i can't help but wonder what they said the whole time... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The same holds for the Japanese. I know a lot of Japanese people know English. A lot of schools have classes for the Japanese kids to learn it. But not all know it.

Schpitz
Feb 7, 2004, 07:44 PM
Out of the 3 cases I played on Jpn servers... all of them were pleasent. One time, they even spoke English to me! I felt so... stupid cos I couldn't speak Japanese. But I felt better when they said it's because we live in a communist society. Really.

Blitzkommando
Feb 7, 2004, 08:26 PM
I think it can be summed up quite easily. They don't necessarily hate the not Japanese speakers as much as neither side truely understands the other. We go by what we are told about them, and they about us. It just so happens that the US has a bad reputation so they might assume, like we do, about us. Of course this isn't right but, hey, we do it to them too. We go over to their servers and expect them to always want to talk and chat, when maybe, they don't trust Non-JP gamers as a whole. I know I wouldn't after seeing some of the things that go on in just challenge mode...

But, from my personal experience, I've met plenty of nice JP gamers and they don't have a grudge against Americans as much as they didn't trust me when we first met. I had to be the one to make the first steps towards knowing them. I didn't ask where they were from or whatnot, I told them that I am an American and from there a conversation brewed. Just remember though, the Japanese society is much, quieter? is that the right word to use? as a whole compared to say Europe and the Americas. Europeans, and their relations in the Americas tend to speak a lot more than the Japanese culture. I believe it's a lot of factors that combine into one thing. But I can safely say that once you befriend them they will stay your friend. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Prettz
Feb 8, 2004, 05:07 AM
But yeah, if you want to see japanese players ignoring people with the english language setting, then go to Alcyone 6

I don't blame them. I myself am an American and am usually weary of playing challenge with anyone who has an E for language setting. Nevertheless, I do, and while I am surprised most of the time at how good someone is I tend to meet up with the dumbest people hoping to get a free ride through c-mode so they can get an s-rank weapon.