PDA

View Full Version : 56k through broadband?

darthsaber9x9
Feb 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
ok i asked this before but forgot the answer ^_^

ok i have broadband. i used to have 56k so i have a modem adapter. i dotn wanna have to run ethernet cable from my pc to my room(up the stairs and further) and have to connect with the pc everytime i wanna use pso.

so my question is thus: could i just plug into my broadband with my modem and connect through either a bb or 56k number?

Rich_T
Feb 11, 2004, 02:01 PM
so my question is thus: could i just plug into my broadband with my modem and connect through either a bb or 56k number?

there is no such thing as a broadband number, well not one you can dial into anyway.
THere is a way to plug the gamecube modem into your P.C and have your P.C forward the conection to the modem on the gamecube, but its complicated and hard to get it to work, and it involves running a cable from your gamecube to your P.C.
for now your best option is to get hold of a broadband adaptor, and run a cable from your P.C to your gamecube.
or you can just stick with a 56k conection on your gamecube, although you will have to pay for both the broadband conection and any call charges on your 56K conection.

your best long term solution wold be to run a more permanant ethernet ( broadband) cable between your gamecube and you P.C, this requires a small amount of work involving drills and a bit of D.I.Y, but it can be done quite easily.

darthsaber9x9
Feb 11, 2004, 04:15 PM
On 2004-02-11 11:01, Rich_T wrote:

there is no such thing as a broadband number, well not one you can dial into anyway.
THere is a way to plug the gamecube modem into your P.C and have your P.C forward the conection to the modem on the gamecube, but its complicated and hard to get it to work, and it involves running a cable from your gamecube to your P.C.
for now your best option is to get hold of a broadband adaptor, and run a cable from your P.C to your gamecube.
or you can just stick with a 56k conection on your gamecube, although you will have to pay for both the broadband conection and any call charges on your 56K conection.

your best long term solution wold be to run a more permanant ethernet ( broadband) cable between your gamecube and you P.C, this requires a small amount of work involving drills and a bit of D.I.Y, but it can be done quite easily.

yeah i guess if i take the first idea the problem would be sorted as the only trouble is gettign the wire from gc to pc.

the problem with just runnign with 56k call charges is that i would surely need an account with the ISP for the network setup.... if i had that original account i wouldnt be in that problem in the first place

o well... and my mum wont let me do anything d.i.y related...and i have to go up through a ceilign and through a wall. so doubly bad.

cheers for the help!

Rich_T
Feb 11, 2004, 04:43 PM
when Sega europe dropped their dreamcast internet service provision , Dreamcast users had two options - use any ISP of their choice, or use the specail account set up by sega-europe with BT for dreamcast users that didnt have an ISP.
This dial up account is a limited account, and has no e-mail provision, you can still use it for internet access on a dreamcast, so in teory it should work on a gamecube
these are the UK settings:

Username : sega
Password: sega
dial up number: 0845 604 1482
enter those into your gamecube and it should work, ive tried it on a normal phone, and there is a server at the other end.
to use this account you will be charged as follows:
monday to friday 8am to 6pm 4p per minute

monday to friday 6pm through the night to 8am the next day 1p per minute

Weekends, friday 6pm right through to monday morning 8am 1p per minute

Basicly 1 hours gameplay of PSO online using this in the evenings or at the weekend will cost 60p in internet access charged to your phone bill, which comes every three months, if your not careful you can get a large bill so you need to be careful on how much time you spend online, 4 hours a week @2.40 per week will cost 28.80 or roughly 30.00 per billing period.

As for broadband, do you have a phone socket near your gamecube?
if so then you could buy a ADSL router asuming your on ADSL (broadband down your phone line) and a broadband adaptor for your gamecube take the router to your gamecube and plug your gamecube into the router.
a router will cost roughly 60.00 a Broadband adaptor around 45.00 so your lookingat over 100 pounds for that option.

darthsaber9x9
Feb 12, 2004, 05:38 PM
On 2004-02-11 13:43, Rich_T wrote:
when Sega europe dropped their dreamcast internet service provision , Dreamcast users had two options - use any ISP of their choice, or use the specail account set up by sega-europe with BT for dreamcast users that didnt have an ISP.
This dial up account is a limited account, and has no e-mail provision, you can still use it for internet access on a dreamcast, so in teory it should work on a gamecube
these are the UK settings:

Username : sega
Password: sega
dial up number: 0845 604 1482
enter those into your gamecube and it should work, ive tried it on a normal phone, and there is a server at the other end.
to use this account you will be charged as follows:
monday to friday 8am to 6pm 4p per minute

monday to friday 6pm through the night to 8am the next day 1p per minute

Weekends, friday 6pm right through to monday morning 8am 1p per minute

Basicly 1 hours gameplay of PSO online using this in the evenings or at the weekend will cost 60p in internet access charged to your phone bill, which comes every three months, if your not careful you can get a large bill so you need to be careful on how much time you spend online, 4 hours a week @2.40 per week will cost 28.80 or roughly 30.00 per billing period.

As for broadband, do you have a phone socket near your gamecube?
if so then you could buy a ADSL router asuming your on ADSL (broadband down your phone line) and a broadband adaptor for your gamecube take the router to your gamecube and plug your gamecube into the router.
a router will cost roughly 60.00 a Broadband adaptor around 45.00 so your lookingat over 100 pounds for that option.

my friend, you are a god with a degree in life saving

cheers

Rich_T
Feb 12, 2004, 06:28 PM
If your using the sega/BT internet settings mkae sure that you do the folowing
Never conect before 6pm
make sure you have the money to pay beofre you play.
for each hour put 1.20 to one side, when the phone bill arives you should be able to pay for your use of the local rate 0845 number.
If your on Brittish Telecom (BT) you can add the 0845 604 1482 access number to your friends and family list and get calls to that number at a reduced price, see This bit of info on the BT website here (http://www.bt.com/fnf/index.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0160715025.1076628460@@ @@&BV_EngineID=cccfadckjikddfecflgcefkdffndfki.0) you can do this over the phone bu dialing the BT customer service number as listed in the phone book.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2004-02-12 15:29 ]</font>