PDA

View Full Version : His Dark Materials

Eihwaz
Feb 12, 2004, 06:04 PM
Who here has read at least one, or preferably all three of the most excellent novels in the "His Dark Materials" Saga, by Phillip Pullman. You know, "The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife", and "The Amber Spyglass"? They're all quite a nice read, and their story is excellent.

Although, the end of third book made me cry. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EDIT: Why did I think his name was that? O.o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-02-12 20:29 ]</font>

Solstis
Feb 12, 2004, 06:09 PM
I accidentally read the third book, thinking it was the first.

Really hard to do, by the way.

KodiaX987
Feb 12, 2004, 06:11 PM
It's quite hard to follow if you don't read the first book, but otherwise it's quite good...

Bradicus
Feb 12, 2004, 06:27 PM
I'm reading the tenth Wheel of Time book right now... no time for others >:P

Eihwaz
Feb 12, 2004, 06:37 PM
On 2004-02-12 15:11, KodiaX987 wrote:
It's quite hard to follow if you don't read the first book, but otherwise it's quite good...

Yes, the 2nd and especially the 3rd can be sometimes confusing, but they're excellent. I'd reccomend them over LOTR.

Off topic: Kodia, does the RAcaseal in your sig have delsaber hands? Or are they simply mutated?

alredy_taken
Feb 12, 2004, 09:13 PM
I haven't but i might after if finish The initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds by Sean Russell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alredy_taken on 2004-02-12 18:14 ]</font>

BogusKun
Feb 12, 2004, 09:15 PM
On 2004-02-12 15:37, Eihwaz wrote:

On 2004-02-12 15:11, KodiaX987 wrote:

Yes, the 2nd and especially the 3rd can be sometimes confusing, but they're excellent. I'd reccomend them over LOTR.

I agree, couldn't see myself watching/reading LOTR sagas... Same for Harry Pothead.

KodiaX987
Feb 12, 2004, 10:00 PM
On 2004-02-12 15:37, Eihwaz wrote:
Off topic: Kodia, does the RAcaseal in your sig have delsaber hands? Or are they simply mutated?

She really has Delsaber hands. Think "The Fly" and you'll know how she got these. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

metermore
Feb 12, 2004, 10:30 PM
I read the 1st one the the beggining of the 2nd but the put me off

dylcool
Feb 12, 2004, 11:01 PM
My friend read the Golden Compass in third grade apparently. He was like every other kid, he wanted to show everyone how smart he was by reading a big book. I doubt he understood any of it though :-

Well, I went through that stage too. I read the Lost World in third grade. I thought it was funny when they said the dinosaurs urinated. hehehehehehehe
Ok so it's still funny...

deathreaper
Feb 12, 2004, 11:04 PM
i found the end of the 3rd book sorta stupid, how he can't open the gate between the worlds anymore(what the hell were their names again http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif )

KodiaX987
Feb 12, 2004, 11:32 PM
Will & Lyra.

Eihwaz
Feb 12, 2004, 11:43 PM
On 2004-02-12 20:04, deathreaper wrote:
i found the end of the 3rd book sorta stupid, how he can't open the gate between the worlds anymore(what the hell were their names again http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif )

I don't think each individual world had a name...except the Land of the Dead, which was sort of like a purgatory, that everyone went to when he/she died.

Other worlds included:
Lyra's world. It was somewhat like ours, in the mid 1900's, but the church had a huge amount of power. *think Catholic Church from the 1600's*. Also, everyone's soul took the form of an animal, a daemon.

Will's World. It sounds very much like our world, nothing too weird about it at all.

Cittagaze. This wasn't a world, per se, but a city there. It's really bizzare...soul eating creatures called "Specters" go around and devour the souls of adults. Angels fly across the sky. And, there's a building that houses the Subtle Knife, which we know to have great power.

And the world of those weird beast-creatures. Dr. Malone made the Amber Spyglass there. It sounds a bit like a sci-fi African plain or something.

In regards to the end of the 3rd book, I believe the angels had to seal the doors between worlds to return all the universes to normalcy. However, Will and Lyra could leave one gate open, of their choice. That, of course, is something you'll have to read to find out. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Oh, you probably won't understand what the hell I'm talking about unless you've read the books. XD

@ Kodia: Thanks. RAcaseals with Delsaber hands. It's a scary thought. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

EDIT: Oh, did you just want the names of the chars? >_< Kodia beat me to it...damn. Oh well, there's a lot of good info up there if the books confused you a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2004-02-12 20:49 ]</font>

Amiadon
Feb 13, 2004, 12:23 AM
Ooooh! I loved the first one, the second one i got to the part when they were outside the library in Will's world, and then i got soooo boring. I might pick it up gain, though.

PS. I hate LotR books. I dunno why, I just hate them.

Noone
Feb 14, 2004, 12:00 AM
ahhh... i read those books a long time ago. The first one in 6th grade then i had to wait for each sequal to come out after that, but i wasn't really looking for them, i just found them. Yeah, the end of book 3 is pretty sad. I think, don't quote me, that he might write another dark material book which would be nice considering that the third ending was depressing.

Zzzzzz
Feb 14, 2004, 12:12 AM
Could I have a short synopsis of this trilogy?
It sounds interesting.

Eihwaz
Feb 14, 2004, 01:18 AM
On 2004-02-13 21:12, Zzzzzz wrote:
Could I have a short synopsis of this trilogy?
It sounds interesting.

More or less, a girl (Lyra) from an alternate dimension and her soul in animal-spirit form (daemon) called Pantiliamon, travel to several different dimensions, in an attempt to save everything from war and fiery catcaclysm. More or less. They meet some VERY interesting people/things.

It's a most excellent book series. They're quite a nice read, and the books aren't TOO thick. Something along the lines of a nice paperback novel.

I've heard rumours of a His Dark Materials movie...does anyone else have any info?

zimmk2vgc
Feb 14, 2004, 01:03 PM
Its Northern Lights, not Golden Compass people!!!

Amiadon
Feb 14, 2004, 07:20 PM
I was just about to say that... and it isn't a compass, it's an alethieometer (sp). Also, Lyra's daemon, Pantalaimon, is the same middle name as mine http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Erm...that didn't make sense. What I meant was, one of my middle names is Pantalaimon. *ahem*

KaFKa
Feb 14, 2004, 08:02 PM
i read the three, but the only reason i got past book two was becuase i had to critique it afterwards. all in all, good series, but it just wasnt to my tastes.

*looks at the list of books that i actually liked-6*

yep, it fals into category: "do i really care?"

KodiaX987
Feb 14, 2004, 09:41 PM
On 2004-02-14 10:03, zimmk2vgc wrote:
Its Northern Lights, not Golden Compass people!!!

I saw a few editions of the book, and somehow both titles exist even though it's the same story. o.O;

Noone
Feb 14, 2004, 11:54 PM
I've heard rumours of a His Dark Materials movie...does anyone else have any info?

I heard about it too in a newspaper, but I don't think it isn't for a long while.

Nazo
Feb 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
Pantiliamon....

Panti-lia-mon...

*cough* Ahem!

A most enlightening series, recommended to all but the sci-fically biased. Probably not as "SAT-recommened" or "perfect" as the LotR series, but certainly more interesting and page-turning. Its extremely confusing if you don't pay attention, but I'm good at that so no problem for me. It should definately be on your read-before-I-die list. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif