Robo47
Feb 15, 2004, 10:27 PM
I'm having trouble getting onlnie, I need to know,

Whats a Subnet mask?
Whats a Gateway Address?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robo47 on 2004-02-15 19:31 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2004, 12:51 PM
helps to know a little about your setup. Normally those are fields you would leave blank unless you are manually entering an IP address to use.

1. what type of connection is it.
2. is it a direct connect, ICS or using a router or hub?
3. Do you get any errors messages when you try to connect?

As for the subnet mask, its a bit mask used to identify which bits in an IP address correspond to the network address and subnet portions of the address. The default Gateway IP address is the IP address of one of the gateways / routers attached to the local segment. This will be the device which is asked for help when sending an IP packet to a remote destination. Fascinating huh? LOL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-02-16 09:57 ]</font>

Robo47
Feb 16, 2004, 01:50 PM
Okay, I got BBA, and its not direct, I got a little black box from Motorola, my Provider is Comcast.net.

Rich_T
Feb 16, 2004, 02:13 PM
is this how you conect?

BBA>--rj45 etherent cable>---Cable modem>-cable TV service ( comcast)

your coenction should work on automatic, in other words dont worry about subnets DNS prefix's etc, however you may need to register your BBAs MAC number with your internet service, the number on the BBA by the bar cods sticker, and i think its a 12 digit number, you need to register this with your internet provider.
Depending on how much they know at the call centre you may need to tell them that the BBA is a Network adaptor, as they will probably think a Gamecube is a type Rubiks cube and cant be conected to the internet.

AUTO_
Feb 16, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yeah I was going to make a seperate thread but this should work...

I recently went from a 56k modem to BBA...and I can't get online.

Here's my problem:

-When the game is "getting the DNS settings" as I log on it takes up to 15 seconds...then I get ERROR 101's.

I have my DSL cable hooked into a router upstairs, and the router shows that I'm online.

I can access the net (through DSL) on my PC as well as the "WEBSITE" from the PSO disc.

All my settings are set to automatic.

Any help? I don't know why, but my actual character just can't get online.

Rich_T
Feb 16, 2004, 05:37 PM
theres no indication of your location in your user profile, if your in the UK have you got your router set corectly with:
PPPoA, UK Settings, NAPT, DHCP, DNS
Also Wherever you are, what ISP are you conecting to?

AUTO_
Feb 16, 2004, 06:35 PM
I'm in the US.

And it's a locally operated ISP.

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2004, 08:03 PM
On 2004-02-16 10:50, Robo47 wrote:
Okay, I got BBA, and its not direct, I got a little black box from Motorola, my Provider is Comcast.net.

Often times Comcast users must register the BBA's MAC address with them, so their DHCP server will recognize it and assign it an IP. The MAC is located on the bottom of the BBA. Look for a little white sticker with a 12 digit alphanumeric MAC address that should start with 000. I have Comcast also http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BTW you are using a direct connect since you are going straight from the Modem to the GC. If you want to play PSO online and use your pc online, you can get a router or if you don't want to spend that much, pick up a cheap $20 hub and split the connection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-02-16 17:05 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2004, 08:07 PM
On 2004-02-16 13:35, AUTO_ wrote:
Yeah I was going to make a seperate thread but this should work...

I recently went from a 56k modem to BBA...and I can't get online.

Here's my problem:

-When the game is "getting the DNS settings" as I log on it takes up to 15 seconds...then I get ERROR 101's.

I have my DSL cable hooked into a router upstairs, and the router shows that I'm online.

I can access the net (through DSL) on my PC as well as the "WEBSITE" from the PSO disc.

All my settings are set to automatic.

Any help? I don't know why, but my actual character just can't get online.

What type of DSL is it? Do you use PPPOE or PPPOA? Do you need to "log in" on your pc to use the DSL?

Robo47
Feb 16, 2004, 08:18 PM
Where do I register my MAC number?

(who should I call that is)

I don't know which number to call

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robo47 on 2004-02-16 17:18 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2004, 08:30 PM
On 2004-02-16 17:18, Robo47 wrote:
Where do I register my MAC number?

(who should I call that is)

I don't know which number to call

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robo47 on 2004-02-16 17:18 ]</font>

Go to Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net) and find the tech support number for your area.

Robo47
Feb 16, 2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks!

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2004, 09:07 PM
np. register the MAC, then in your Network Options screens, set everything to automatic and leave the proxy screen blank (don't enter anything.) Then try it and see if it works http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AUTO_
Feb 16, 2004, 11:00 PM
On 2004-02-16 17:07, VioletSkye wrote:
What type of DSL is it? Do you use PPPOE or PPPOA? Do you need to "log in" on your pc to use the DSL?

No...I don't have to log in on my PC to use it.

Not sure if it's PPPOE or PPPOA though.

Could it be that there were server maintainances both times I tried to log in?

I tried tonight and last Monday...

Rich_T
Feb 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
did you register your mac address number?

AUTO_
Feb 17, 2004, 06:03 PM
Well I tried all last night, but it still won't connect to the PSO DNS server.

I can access the website off the game though...

Not sure if I use PPPOE or PPPOA but I don't have to log in to enter.

My DSL cable (GC) goes into a router upstairs.

Robo47
Feb 18, 2004, 10:47 PM
Anyone know a free host?

Comcast Tech support can't do their job right.

Saying they have nothing to do with Gamecube... dumbasses they is!

Aziangangster
Feb 18, 2004, 10:59 PM
Comcast said the same thing with me and then one day tripped over the wire plug that connects to the modem and i figured out that if u unplug it for 30 secs it will work. lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aziangangster on 2004-02-18 19:59 ]</font>

Robo47
Feb 18, 2004, 11:35 PM
Umm, explain please.

Rich_T
Feb 19, 2004, 02:00 PM
Dont mention gamecube to any pne on a tech support line, they wont know what your on about and will say it wont work.
you need to tell them that its a network card.
you have registered the mac address havent you?

Robo47
Feb 19, 2004, 06:14 PM
So, the MAC address is the one on the white sticker with the letters in it right?

Rich_T
Feb 19, 2004, 06:21 PM
thats the one, it should be near a bar code and i think its 12 digits.

Robo47
Feb 19, 2004, 06:45 PM
Thanky! Maybe I'll get online soon. Probably tonight, that is if I stop procastinating.