PDA

View Full Version : People That Listen to Classical Music While Studying

derBauer
Feb 20, 2004, 11:02 AM
I hate it. I'm sure people have done research and found that there is some sonnection between classical music and brain power, but I hate it.

My problem is that it is always the dumbasses I see studying while listening to classical music. It's like they know they have no chance of ever getting a grade higher than a C, but maybe if they listen to classical music, they'll suddenly be so smart they can teach at Harvard.

I hate classical music and I hate dumbasses. I'm about to tell this fuck his music is making it so I can't study and make him turn it down. Stupid classical music bullshit. I hate it. I HATE IT!

Armok
Feb 20, 2004, 11:04 AM
I personally like some classical music. Much of Dance chillout music is based on classical. I personally wouldnt revise while listoning to music as i end up just listoning to music and not revising

derBauer
Feb 20, 2004, 11:29 AM
I realized after reading youir post I dont actually hate classical music. It is not something I would ever choose to listen to, and would never buy it. But, I can stand it.

What I hate, is this moron next door who I know is a total dumbass listening to it because he has an exam he knows he is going to fail, but he is so stupid he thinks that listening to classical music is going to make him know all the answers.

It has since stopped and he has gone to class.

I wonder if he thinks I am a dumbass for watching the Lion King while I do my homework.

Armok
Feb 20, 2004, 11:32 AM
Army Dave who I lived with last year did all his revision while the adverts where on during Aliens.

Sad really. Still he got 30% which aint bad for 10 minutes work.

rising_sunset
Feb 20, 2004, 11:34 AM
When I'm studying I listen to Mai Kuraki!!! She roks!!!

Daikarin
Feb 20, 2004, 12:16 PM
Maybe its because he likes classical music.

I also listen to classical music while studying, and it does have an effect on my self-confidence, and that has an effect on my work.

It relaxes and makes you focused on the same time.

Each one has his or her own way of studying, and with mine and probably his music works.

Inu_Ranma
Feb 20, 2004, 01:45 PM
I think that it depends on two things: What music you like and what you're studying.

For example: In my mocktrial team in Highschool, we found that it got us in the mood quite well if we studied our parts when listening to 'angry' music (ie: Rammstien), especially for the lawyers. It must have helped a bit, as the year when we started doing that, we got fourth in nationals...

Aunt_Betty
Feb 20, 2004, 09:29 PM
It does seem to help me...

Link00seven
Feb 21, 2004, 09:31 AM
I'm not much of a fan for classical music, but I love Jazz, so I sometimes listen to that while studying ^_^.

I know its not going to make you smarter, it just relaxes your nerves, and allows you to focus a bit more. At least for me.

Bradicus
Feb 21, 2004, 11:39 AM
I am so very sorry that these people have ruined your life. How can they sleep at night?

RoninJoku
Feb 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
When I study, I listen to.... Oh wait... I don't study! =p

polishedweasel
Feb 21, 2004, 03:51 PM
On 2004-02-21 08:57, RurouniJoku wrote:
When I study, I listen to.... Oh wait... I don't study! =p

Yeah for real, it's ok to fail all of your classes. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Firocket1690
Feb 21, 2004, 05:47 PM
o_O

When I study, I just plug in my iPod to the speakers, and turn on the Angel Sanctuary soundtrack.
Very comforting. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Edit: Oh, and I AM NOT A GOTH !!~
Most people hear the first few songs on it and consider me a freak. Messiah, Knife Of Romance, Stella Mary, and Sanctus ... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2004-02-21 15:34 ]</font>

Orange_Coconut
Feb 21, 2004, 05:51 PM
Actually, it was proven that classical music does not improve brain power. Heck, if it was to do that I'd walk around with a Walkman listening to it everywhere I went. Then maybe I could find the secrets of the universe...

But yeah, when I study I usually need some sort of background noise - not necesarily music. Even if it's the TV, or my cat meowing. Kind of weird, but if it's dead silent it seems harder to concentrate.

Hrith
Feb 21, 2004, 06:29 PM
On 2004-02-21 06:31, Linkooseven wrote:
I'm not much of a fan for classical music, but I love Jazz, so I sometimes listen to that while studying ^_^.

I know its not going to make you smarter, it just relaxes your nerves, and allows you to focus a bit more. At least for me.

Same here, but really exactly the same http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arislan
Feb 21, 2004, 07:42 PM
I don't study either, and I do just fine in school. I can cram just fine, and it works well for anything I need to hold for a day or two, then lose again. Studying for me is nearly impossible, I can't stay focused on it for long enough for it to make any difference.

As for work time, whether cramming or attempting and failing yet again to study (homework's the closest I get), it's the same mix of music I normally listen to, a little bit of everything cept Rap and Gospel. If you want some very good classical type, try George Winston's stuff. Extremely good pianist. Particularly try "Variations on the Canon", it's a great take on Pachelbel's original.

Daikarin
Feb 22, 2004, 09:57 AM
On 2004-02-21 14:51, Orange_Coconut wrote:
Actually, it was proven that classical music does not improve brain power. Heck, if it was to do that I'd walk around with a Walkman listening to it everywhere I went. Then maybe I could find the secrets of the universe...

Actually, we never said that classical music does improve brain power.

What we said is that it helped us relax first. And to those who like it, make him/her feel better.

THEN, you can work harder, relaxed and confident. Logic, right?

Classical music is just a tool for your self-confidence. It's not like it hypnotizes you to do well in studies.