PDA

View Full Version : Dupers are OK. Well sometimes...

Starchild
Apr 16, 2001, 03:59 PM
Hear me out first before you decide to flame me. I have been reading this board since it started but this is my first post.
Here is my story,

Easter weekend I had my first instance with the scumbag-ed-ness (I created this word...lol) of theives. When I started my forc up months ago a really cool guy (Ranger Lvl 89) gave mae the caduecus (sp?) cane. It is really cool with a bird on top, has a foie attack and cool feathers fall off when you swing it... anyway. I had never seen this cane before and it was my first truly rare item. This weekend I made the mistake of joing a group of people I did not know on the v-hard ruins. Everyone there was in awe at the cane.
This should have been my first hint to put it away... of couse I died and some fucking bastard picked it up and signed off. First I felt like crying, then I felt like trowing my tv out my window.
Later that day I met up with a friend on-line who happened to have one and he duped it for me. I now, once again, have my favorite cane.
I do not condone mass duping, but (take deep breath here) when some low life, dickless, scumbag who gets his jollies off by stealing (of all things) VIDEO GAME items from unsuspecting gamers, because in real life he has no friends and the furthest he has ever gotten with a girl is when he was breast fed by his crack whore mother, and needs the power trip of stealing to fulfill a life that should have ended in a messy abortion before his brain functions started.... (ahem) anyway... I was glad to have a friend who knew how to dupe to get my beloved cane back.
I believe that this is a justified case of duping... I would love to hear your opinions on, duping, thieves and MOST IMPORTATANTLY on my first post ever.(j/k)
Remeber I do believe that mass duping kills the fun of having a RARE item, but there is justification for everything. Thanks for listening to my rant - Starchild

Jaiden
Apr 16, 2001, 04:40 PM
Well, if it were me, I wouldn't have asked a duper for help. Not saying that it isn't right or wrong or anything--it is after all just a game, and you paid your fifty clams so why not get what you paid for. Its just that I have a problem with dupers so they'd be last people on Earth I'd go to for help.

Glider
Apr 16, 2001, 04:42 PM
I understand why you think that, but stealing is part of the game. If you had lost it to the BSOD, or some dork Resta killed you a few weeks back, it would've made it ok to have someone copy it since it wasn't your fault that you lost it. Since thieves were meant to be in the game, that doesn't make duping a item that got stolen right.

[addsig]"http://gambitx2k.homestead.com/files/sig5.jpg">
PSO:Glider
Member of The Sonic Team [TST]

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thesonicteamhq

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Glider on 2001-04-16 14:45 ]</font>

benja
Apr 16, 2001, 05:17 PM
An interesting point Starchild. It kinda brings back up the point of which is worse stealing or duping? Which is an answer relative to each persons feelings and not a black and white answer. I dislike both thieves and dupers, but are there instances when it is ok? Like stealing from the guy that just stole your weapon? You do have a valid argument Starchild, but it would be better to try and have friends who would look out for you in other ways. For instance, I don't have a Cadecus, but I would have got you another rare force weapon if we play together.

MechDan
Apr 16, 2001, 07:21 PM
Well, the most important thing with a game is to have fun.

For some people, duping/hacking items makes the game more fun for them. For others, finding everything himself and not even accepting legitimate items from trusted close friends makes the game more fun.

Unfortunately, duping/hacking items has the side effect that it has made legitimate trading with anyone other than close friends impossible. This makes me mad at duping/hacking, but it's more of a general thing and I don't get worked up over any individual duper/hacker.

My friends run the full gamut from Jared, who won't even accept an Elf/Arm from me (he's my Best Man so it's not a trust thing) to Terry who doesn't want illegitimate items but likes getting powerful stuff from me to Angie who just wants cool stuff regardless of if it's duped/hacked to Steve who is a gameshark fiend (although he hasn't touched it for PSO).

I give powerful units and mags and weapons to Terry and Angie because I know them and this is what makes the game fun for them. I would NOT give those items to a stranger, because he could miss out on the fun of finding stuff like Autoguns and Marksman/Arm++ if he's just given much more powerful items.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's cool if you're comfortable with having a duped item to replace a stolen one.

Khaotika
Apr 17, 2001, 09:58 AM
Well, I have no qualms against dupers. Whatever floats their boat.

I started taking dupes, mostly because I simply was tired of looking for legit items for myself.. (And then lo and behold a Magical Piece, lol)

I simply want to experience as much as the game has to offer before I finally get tired of it. How else would I have known that Technical Crozier is a piece of ass?

-Khaotika!

"Hmm.. not much point in keeping it then.."