PDA

View Full Version : AGH! Error!

Aceizace
Feb 20, 2004, 11:43 PM
I am trying to connect to pso online with an AOL USB modem (*shudder*). It's a real pain... i've managed to get so far as the DNS connection thing, but it seems to time out and i get a 102 error. Occasionaly it doesn't even get that far, and i get a 015 error instead. Can anyone help? Cheers.

VioletSkye
Feb 21, 2004, 02:37 AM
On 2004-02-20 20:43, Aceizace wrote:
I am trying to connect to pso online with an AOL USB modem (*shudder*). It's a real pain... i've managed to get so far as the DNS connection thing, but it seems to time out and i get a 102 error. Occasionaly it doesn't even get that far, and i get a 015 error instead. Can anyone help? Cheers.

I believe you will need to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to make AOL work with PSO.

Rich_T
Feb 21, 2004, 05:20 AM
Look a question 02 in This topic (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=3&72) it should be able to help you a bit, although AOL doesnt officialy work with PSO ( or anything else much) it can be made to work with it.

zimmk2vgc
Feb 21, 2004, 08:29 AM
What he needs is the DNS of the PSO servers. When we went to go connect, it said it couldn't find the DNS, probably because we had to put everything in manually. Does anyone know the DNS address of the servers, or how you can find them out?

Btw, I was there trying to help him, and pretty much configured it all and got it to come to the screen that normally tells you about the hunters lisence. Except it says theres nothing there, because its not being pointed anywhere. As with AOL, the only way to get it working, and how i've managed to get it working is do everything manually.

Yeah, so DNS address of the servers. Anyone know or how to find that would be great.

Btw we have gone through everything in that post already.

Aceizace
Feb 21, 2004, 01:00 PM
Yeah... what he said. Basicly i was looking for an answer specificly about error 102, not aol in general. I've found a site that talking about the DNS address, but i dunno if it's right, it didn't help when i put it in. *shrugs* Any help on either the error spefically or DNS addresses would be great. The next step we're trying is using a router, do they work with your average AOL bb connection? Yeah... it'd be cool if anyone who's got that to work with theirs could tell me how they set it up on their computer, i can't imagine AOL letting me use something they didn't give me (ie the router, for all you who have lost track)

So yeah, help on either
Error 102
DNS Addys
Setting up a DSL Router with AOL bb

Would be great! We've tried like every aol related post on here, so you needn't link us to one of those, in case we missed something. Meh. Thanks anyway...

AUTO_
Feb 21, 2004, 01:45 PM
On 2004-02-21 05:29, zimmk2vgc wrote:
What he needs is the DNS of the PSO servers. When we went to go connect, it said it couldn't find the DNS, probably because we had to put everything in manually. Does anyone know the DNS address of the servers, or how you can find them out?

Btw, I was there trying to help him, and pretty much configured it all and got it to come to the screen that normally tells you about the hunters lisence. Except it says theres nothing there, because its not being pointed anywhere. As with AOL, the only way to get it working, and how i've managed to get it working is do everything manually.

Yeah, so DNS address of the servers. Anyone know or how to find that would be great.

I'm having the same problem.

I never get passed the DNS screen and then I get either a 101 or 102 error.

VioletSkye
Feb 21, 2004, 03:21 PM
On 2004-02-21 05:29, zimmk2vgc wrote:

Actually you DON'T need the DNS of the servers (which I have.) The game itself knows the dns and knows where to point. The problem is that AOL uses its own proprietary software to connect to the service (ie. get to the gateway.) Having the DNS of the sega servers is not going to help you in the least. Unless you setup an ICS, you won't ever be able to connect with AOL.

BTW here is the DNS for the US version:

gc01.st-pso.games.sega.net (port 9100)

TO AUTO_: Did you register the MAC address yet. Until you do that you won't be able to connect to the DNS servers because Comcasts DHCP server won't assign the BBA an IP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-02-21 12:32 ]</font>

zimmk2vgc
Feb 21, 2004, 03:27 PM
We can get on the internet though with it, only it can't find the DNS servers. I need the address so I can put it into it manually. This WILL work. I know a lot about computer networks, this is fairly simple, in bypassing a software access. With ICS set up, on paper this will work, I just need to put it into practise.

Now how can I find these DNS addresses?

VioletSkye
Feb 21, 2004, 03:31 PM
On 2004-02-21 12:27, zimmk2vgc wrote:
We can get on the internet though with it, only it can't find the DNS servers. I need the address so I can put it into it manually. This WILL work. I know a lot about computer networks, this is fairly simple, in bypassing a software access. With ICS set up, on paper this will work, I just need to put it into practise.

Now how can I find these DNS addresses?

i already posted it in my previous post. re-read my post above this one.

nm i'll put it here:

gc01.st-pso.games.sega.net (port 9100)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-02-21 12:33 ]</font>

AUTO_
Feb 21, 2004, 04:50 PM
Violet I don't have Comcast.

And I don't have a firewall.

I can connect to the website through the game but I always get a timeout during the DNS service for the game.

I'm connected through a router upstairs--I tried using the IP adress/info on my dad's computer upstairs--but he got a message on his computer about conflicting IP adresses.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

VioletSkye
Feb 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
On 2004-02-21 13:50, AUTO_ wrote:
Violet I don't have Comcast.

And I don't have a firewall.

I can connect to the website through the game but I always get a timeout during the DNS service for the game.

I'm connected through a router upstairs--I tried using the IP adress/info on my dad's computer upstairs--but he got a message on his computer about conflicting IP adresses.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

change the ip you use for the GC by 1 digit. For example if your dads ip is 12.65.60.100 try using 12.65.30.101. But your router should be assigning an ip for your BBA. Do you have any closed ports?

AUTO_
Feb 21, 2004, 05:28 PM
See I don't know if I have any closed ports.

How do I check that?

Aceizace
Feb 21, 2004, 05:30 PM
Nope! All the above DNS thingys give me an error message, i can't even get past the network setup. Oh and zim, i'm not quite sure you DO know what you're aiming at here. I agree that you shouldn't need to put in the DNS settings, and i can't access the internet with it, because it won't go to the buy a hunter's licence page. I can get to the lobby music in the background, and a 102 error in the foreground, and even that's rare.

Oh, and like i think i mentioned earlier, i have set up ICS. It isn't working, thats why we played around with some settings and it said it couldn't connect to the DNS, so zim said to get the DNS settings. Either way, the primary and secondary DNS settings only accecpt ip addresses, not gc01.st-pso etc.

Rich_T
Feb 21, 2004, 05:39 PM
You set up ICS, but it wasnt working. in what way, was the P.C recognising the gamecube on the network with "local area conection conected"?
if not, then your probably not using a crossover cable to hook the P.c and the gamecube together.

VioletSkye
Feb 21, 2004, 05:59 PM
On 2004-02-21 14:30, Aceizace wrote:
Nope! All the above DNS thingys give me an error message, i can't even get past the network setup. Oh and zim, i'm not quite sure you DO know what you're aiming at here. I agree that you shouldn't need to put in the DNS settings, and i can't access the internet with it, because it won't go to the buy a hunter's licence page. I can get to the lobby music in the background, and a 102 error in the foreground, and even that's rare.

Oh, and like i think i mentioned earlier, i have set up ICS. It isn't working, thats why we played around with some settings and it said it couldn't connect to the DNS, so zim said to get the DNS settings. Either way, the primary and secondary DNS settings only accecpt ip addresses, not gc01.st-pso etc.

I had originally tried to explain to zim that the DNS for sega will do NOTHING to help you connect. The problem is not the DNS, its that you aren't connecting through the ICS setup. That problem causes the DNS error. I knew you wouldn't be able to even use the GC browser to get to the registration page so I'm not sure why zim said you could access the internet.

The page that you see that shows the lobby is not online, its actually on the PSO disk, until you actually see the Minhiro screen you aren't connected. You can remove the cable from the BBA entirely and still see everything you saw on the screen. People get confused and think that seeing the lobby means that they are at least getting through which isn't true, as I said those screens are already on the PSO disk and show regardless of whether your BBA is connected to something or not.

Rich already covered the crossover cable thing. So nm my post. Make sure you do have a crossover and not a regular cat5 cable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-02-21 15:14 ]</font>

Rich_T
Feb 22, 2004, 05:56 AM
If youve got ICS working you should get this
http://mysite.freeserve.com/mybasicuploadsite/ICS.JPG
above the two monitors which should have flashing screens, you should get "local area conection conected"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2004-02-22 02:59 ]</font>

Aceizace
Feb 22, 2004, 09:14 AM
Yes. It's wierd, the computer is making the link with my gamecube, i dunno how to display a picture so i can't show you a screen shot of it, but i get one of those double-computers symbols in the bottom right when i turn the gc on. And i'm using crossover cable. That's why i blame aol.. i only have one internet connection in my 'show all connections' window, and that's under dial up, saying 'BT ADSL Modem'. I've right-clicked that, gone to properties, and set it to share the connection, but it still doesn't work. I wonder if the computer is recognising that i am connecting through that modem?

*Hits self on head* Duh, it says disconnected on it and i'm (obviously) on now. So how do i make it so that when i connect through AOL software it changes to connected? Thanks for the help so far.

Rich_T
Feb 22, 2004, 11:49 AM
Connect to the internet, on one of those monitors if you hover your mouse over it it should say something,, next power up your gamecube, it should say local area conection conected over the other one.
you should be able to get online on your gamecube.

alternativly if thats still not working then you can go to your network conections folder then slect from the menu on the left

http://mysite.freeserve.com/mybasicuploadsite/ICS_set_up1.JPG
http://mysite.freeserve.com/mybasicuploadsite/ICS_setup2.JPG
after that you should see your network card listed select that and your modem, you will get something about ignoreing un conected hardware, click on continue, and ignore the bit about making a set up disk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rich_T on 2004-02-22 08:50 ]</font>

Aceizace
Feb 23, 2004, 12:51 PM
OK, lemme explain as clearly as i can. I can't host files so i can't show you any screenshots which would make it easier, if you would email me then i can send some back.

Right, the computer and the gc are connected, no problem. When i power up the gamecube i get one of those double computer icons next to my clock. I've gone to my network connections folder, and i've set up ICS on my modem i use to connect. However - here is the problem. When i connect to AOL using the AOL software, the modem still reports that it is disconnected. Therefore it does not detect the connection, and it cannot possibly share it. I've gone through the horrible procidure of contacting AOL and asking them if this can be changed, but as usual they are completely unhelpful.

Something tells me that it doesn't actually use that connection to connect, well actually i'm pretty sure. When i connect to AOL a new connection suddenly appears called 'AOL with Broadband'. But as soon as it hits the 'checking password' stage it's gone again. I've managed to catch it as i was signing on, and try and turn ICS on, but it gives me some wierd error, 0x08...something, and cancels me ever trying to turn it on. So if anyone could help actually setting up ICS with AOL acording to the problems i've been having that'd be amazing.

It's quite ironic really, on my old computer ICS worked fine, but the computer never detected the gamecube. Sigh, someone up there really doesn't want me online. Thanks for the help, and keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Rich_T
Feb 23, 2004, 02:08 PM
If you in the UK or Europe, and your using AOL software to connect to AOL, you may be stuffed, as AOLs European software disbales ICS and any other networking software that you would need for playing PSO with internet conection sharing.
there is an answer to your problems and its called a router, click Here for info (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=aol&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0) link goes to ADSLguide AOL forum (UK)

Aceizace
Feb 25, 2004, 01:44 PM
Lol, did i need to mention i'm in UK...?

Actually i've found a way to do it, you can follow the new 'xbox live' guide found on the keyword Home Networking. Once you're connected a new connection called Internet (2) appears, this is what needs to be shared.

However, this also disapears when you sign off, and it asks you to redial before any changes will take effect. Ugh. I've done it before, but it takes me about 20mins+ each time just to get it working becuase of errors both sides, and you have to do it each time you sign on to aol. The connection is really slow and aol randomly throws you off PSO.

I do have one more question tho, what is the difference between connecting to pso via 'Online Game' and via 'Homepage'? When i try to do it via homepage i get a 'no certificate' error, then i can go to 'OK' and it works fine. When i do it through 'Online Game' i almost always get a '#015 Couldn't recieve IP address' error. Getting this to work is what fills up most of the 20 mins. If anyone has been following this and would like me to explain to them roughly how to set up ics on the Internet (2) connection so it will - even though rarely - work.

Rich_T
Feb 25, 2004, 02:35 PM
Your best option would be to dump AOL and get a normal ISP. however that isnt always practical.
Second best option, now that AOL have finaly got their fingers from out of their backsides, woild be to invest in a compatable router, if you go to the forums at http://www.adslguide.org.uk and ask in the AOL forum, you should be able to find help in getting hold of a router.

Aceizace
Feb 26, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah i know, the second i have the cash i'm getting a router, don't worry. i just thought i'd post a method for those without that sort of money http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, thats just the kind of nice guy i am.

OK it worked first time for me today! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

When you're setting up ics on Internet (2), go to that settings link at the bottom of the sharing page, and tick every check box. Just click the box and hit enter, click the box and hit enter etc. I also went on security and unchecked 'require data encryption' as well. Then to make sure it was working i went to homepage on pso, when that loaded ok, i went to online game and it worked fine. This is the first time i've dun it so i dunno if it will work first time for anyone else reading this thread! Lol.

Trust me, i'd luv to get another ISP, however my dad seems to like AOL for some crazy reason. Actually i don't find it that bad, its annoying that you have to keep their software running, but i dont like IE that much anyway. The email is ok, and occasionaly the keywords are useful. Their 'live help' is usually long and unhelpful but its better than having to ring up and get the same answers. All in all, AOL is accecptable, apart from the whole lack of allowing ics to be done easily, lol.

Rich_T
Feb 26, 2004, 06:25 PM
want somehting to discourage your dad from AOL?
Ask about it in places such as the forums at http://www.pcanswers.co.uk