PDA

View Full Version : [SHORT STORY] Return of the Shadow King

mr_rubbish
Feb 21, 2004, 04:51 PM
Taken from the 'Black Screen of Death (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=76026&forum=12&30)' Group-fic
Previous Short (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=76292&forum=12&2).
Barton approached the main transporter only to see the glowing energy rings formed by the pad slowly fade and then stop altogether. He came to a complete halt and watched as the lighting in the main transporter room switched off.

"What the Heck? Did you see that?" He mentioned to one of his team-mates.

They did not reply.

"I SAID did you..." The words died in his mouth.

He had turned around to address them directly only to discover that they had vanished without a trace. In fact the entire promenade was now empty of everyone except him.

A chill passed through his spine. There were people around here just a few seconds ago, maybe 30 or more and now they had disappeared?

"Is this some kind of joke?" He said aloud, the impatience in his voice was clear.

He was starting to get nervous and walked back in the direction of of the item storage desk, which was also abandoned.

*Shunk*

He jumped, startled at the sound. Behind him he could see that the lights above had switched off, as had the neon signs for the hospital and the exit leading to the city.

Was someone turning off the lights? The Guild never closed.

"Hello? I'm still here!" He shouted out, almost unable to disguise the fear in his voice now.

Glancing to his left he could see the lights for the distant buildings were turning off in sequence. It was like the darkness was spreading towards him.

He began to step back, some primal instinct deep inside told him that a very bad thing was coming. The lights for the promenade now continued to turn off matching the spread of those buildings nearest to the Guild.

He almost had a heart attack when the check-in desk bumped him from behind. He moved to his right into the shopping enclosure, again devoid of signs of life. As the automatic doors shut together he could see that all the lights outside had gone.

He leaned up against one of the desks, eyes frantically scanning the door incase it opened. The lights went out here too, leaving him with the dull coloured glow from the monitors and wall displays.

He began to breath hard, like he was hyperventillating. He knew what would come next.

The remaining lights in the room extinguished leaving him in total darkness, the afterglow image of the room burned on his retina briefly before fading to black.

In that room he waited, his heavy, laboured breathing was all that filled his ears... Until he heard the sound of the doors opening to let it in.......

BOC
Feb 21, 2004, 05:38 PM
creepy! i like it! this is ur suggestion for the group fic competition??

must say its looking MyTea promising!

PEACE!!!

Zzzzzz
Feb 21, 2004, 06:28 PM
Very good work.
Gives me an idea...
*runs off to write another short*

Sagasu
Feb 21, 2004, 07:16 PM
Cool, I'd hate to be in his shoes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

mr_rubbish
Feb 22, 2004, 07:35 AM
To all those who read it and were creeped out... Thank you! It makes me warm and fuzzy inside that I achieve my aims.

In retrospect I really should have called it "A Nightmare on Pioneer Two" that way more people might have peeked at it. Oh well.
I'm not sure that it would work as a group-fic but having said that I'm goning to write out a plot-summary thingy now to see if anyone bites.

Stormsworder
Feb 22, 2004, 08:01 AM
I would hate to be in that guys shoes. It isn't cool when all the lights go out and you can't see anything. I almost fell down the stairs during a power outage.