PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of my signature....

anwserman
Feb 27, 2004, 12:24 AM
OK, because of Ted's begging and that I've gotten some PM's from people.. here is the explanation of my signature.

Two Mondays ago, at volleyball, it was Mitch Jim and I, and we were talking about whatever was on TV, and a special about Mel Gibson's "Passion" was on, and we were talking about it. Mitch and Jim are religious, or believe, and I really am more of the scientific person. But things they said almost made me cry.

I maintained composture, but near the end of the conversation, I asked both of them a question.. Why would somebody want to believe in something that thinks they're going to hell?

I forgot their answers (Jim anyways), but basically they said that if you live life the way that God wants you to (e.g. nice, caring, etc.) that you won't go to Hell regardless.

and it was time to go, and Mitch and I always talk outside in the frigid cold after everybody else leaves, and we both said to continue talking about religion sometime, and I suggested the next day.... after I work.

So, the next night we played some video games, of course, and then we started to talk about religion. And I admitted to Mitch that one of the reasons why I am hesitant in giving my faith to religion, is that I don't want to partake in something that can be used as an excuse to hate me, or that to people who thikn I'm going to hell.

and that I made that comment, and I paused. I looked him straight in the eyes and asked him, "Do you believe I'm going to Hell?"

and He said, "No."

and that the conversation wrapped up with me going to his Church in Green Bay that weekend (he said I'd like the pastor) , but we never went due to his injury.

Note, this is a dumbed down version of what happened. I quoted it from a MSN conversation we had (my friend Christine and I) about Mel Gibson's "Passion". Thats my sig. That in the background is hell, or a rushed rendition of it (I drew everything on a spur.) And that person must be me... I don't know why I chose green hair though.

EDIT: The reason why I made a sig regarding this, is that even though I'm not overly religious - I must have a strand of faith in me to make such a big deal of somebody telling me that he doesn't believe I'm not going to hell. And that my friend Christine agreed with him too.

Those are my first two confirmed people who believe I'm not going to hell.

EDIT2: Here is my sig that I'm referring to so it can be used as a reference in this post (since I will change sigs again!)
http://lucky-s-designs.com/PSO/sig6.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-02-26 21:33 ]</font>

_Ted_
Feb 27, 2004, 12:38 AM
Hey now, I would say that I begged to know, more like bugged you for an answer. And why would you think that you are going to hell? Have you been killing people or something?! Are you the elevator murderer!? You were right about the sig though, much to deep for FKL. Very nice sig, its deep and has a story behind (the picture is good too (I can barely draw stick people)). And I don't think you're going to hell either, I don't think anybody around here does.

Kiara
Feb 27, 2004, 12:39 AM
If hell is a warm place where the ground is dark brown and people have unnatural hair colors, I can dig it. The question really isn't if they believe or not. It's do you believe you're going down into the ring of fire?

Btw nice sig.

anwserman
Feb 27, 2004, 12:41 AM
On 2004-02-26 21:38, _Ted_ wrote:
Hey now, I would say that I begged to know, more like bugged you for an answer. And why would you think that you are going to hell? Have you been killing people or something?! Are you the elevator murderer!? You were right about the sig though, much to deep for FKL. Very nice sig, its deep and has a story behind (the picture is good too (I can barely draw stick people)). And I don't think you're going to hell either, I don't think anybody around here does.

Well, I'm gay.

Not like I have control over it or anything, but well some people like to think that it is within my control and that I'm living a life that will bring be to the fiery inferno. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Then again, that could be considered a stereotype (and the people who think that probably screwed up anyway) and that I shouldn't worry too much. But I still do.. depressing to believe in a religion that can be used against you. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Thank you for the compliment Kiara.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-02-26 21:42 ]</font>

Kiara
Feb 27, 2004, 01:07 AM
I hate how people interprit the bible like that...

Who should go to hell? The guy who is in love, or the guys call him names and beat him up because they disagree?

If you think you're going to hell just for being gay then I suggest you save up for those wings. Although I'm not very religious myself so you if not, say hi to lucy for me O_o.

derBauer
Feb 27, 2004, 01:15 AM
I don't know if heaven exists or not, but if it does it can't be the way the Bible desribes it. That wouldn't be my heaven.

I also don't think you can take the Bible word for word on how to get to heaven. If you have been a good person, you go, if you are a prick and bastard, you don't.

ABDUR101
Feb 27, 2004, 01:43 AM
As I've said before, on many occasions. I don't have to listen to what others say about me, and for the actions that I do. I believe in God, and I hold Him in very high regard. I doubt He is petty enough to send me to hell, over merely being bisexual.

Being homosexual, bisexual, etc, doesn't automatically make you a bad person, nor does it condemn you. If someone is playing the "Well it's unnatural and goes against the bible" bit, well, guess what, there are so many religions(and sects within them all) and beliefs, that no one, will ever live their life without breaking many laws of them all.

It doesn't come down to what you believe, it comes down to that you believe at all. Even if you believe in yourself, or those you hold dear, the fact that you put faith into something that gives you comfort is all that matters.

All of the praises and grand names for God, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate, and yet, somehow, He's made out to be so petty because of people's fear of whats around them.

Soukosa
Feb 27, 2004, 01:47 AM
I'm fairly religous myself and a homosexual at that. I have gone through the bible and researched this stuff up on the web a while back. In a nut shell, after doing all of this and talk with some other people of varying religous status, I have come to one conclusion. There is not really anything that condemns someone for being a homosexual. However, there is things that would condemn for doing something like having sexual intercourse with some of the same sex, since essentially, you'd be doing that for a reason other than procreation, which is what God intended it be for. It seems to me that any homophobic religous people that state that God codemns homosexuality, feel that all homosexuals will simply be doing that. The thing is, if having sex for a reason other than for procreation, then why don't they pounce on the heterosexuals that do so. Just because their het doesn't mean that they're not going to have sex for reasons of pleasure and whatnot. Then again, it could also simply be that they feel that it's "unnatural" and that God intended for passionate relationships to be between a man and a woman like how He originally created things. The thing is, that falls into a huge black area that could be debated to pieces, but I can say that most people that use, fail to really understand all of what happened in that story.

anwserman
Feb 27, 2004, 03:28 PM
On 2004-02-26 22:47, Sounomi wrote:
I'm fairly religous myself and a homosexual at that. I have gone through the bible and researched this stuff up on the web a while back. In a nut shell, after doing all of this and talk with some other people of varying religous status, I have come to one conclusion. There is not really anything that condemns someone for being a homosexual. However, there is things that would condemn for doing something like having sexual intercourse with some of the same sex, since essentially, you'd be doing that for a reason other than procreation, which is what God intended it be for. It seems to me that any homophobic religous people that state that God codemns homosexuality, feel that all homosexuals will simply be doing that. The thing is, if having sex for a reason other than for procreation, then why don't they pounce on the heterosexuals that do so. Just because their het doesn't mean that they're not going to have sex for reasons of pleasure and whatnot. Then again, it could also simply be that they feel that it's "unnatural" and that God intended for passionate relationships to be between a man and a woman like how He originally created things. The thing is, that falls into a huge black area that could be debated to pieces, but I can say that most people that use, fail to really understand all of what happened in that story.

*hugs Sounomi*
I never knew that you were... ah. Neat!

Well, the whole topic was created because I got some messages in regards with the signature. And I do need to apologize for making these threads. I'm most open on these boards, in regards to myself, and that I really don't have anybody I can talk - and relate to - in regards to this whole spectrum of talk. And that, I never do. I've watched myself (and I've avoided making threads about it), but i felt that I needed to bring this up since some people were wondering what was up with my sig.

I don't know, I figured I was doing fine in my life, and I guess I was wrong. Just confusing at times I guess.. I guess I'm in college, and I get to experience new things, and I guess that is what my life has been exactly the last half-year or so. And I think I'm thriving on it too.

And Sounomi, I think people have also mentioned in regards to religion, that there is really no Hell that exists. Or something, I didn't get too deep into a conversation about whether or not Hell really exists. But, in regards to your words, it seems like every horny teenager and adult who has sex for pleasure (even with their hands) means that we've all sinned. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif If you've done the deed that is.

Hrith
Feb 27, 2004, 03:38 PM
On 2004-02-26 22:43, ABDUR101 wrote:
Even if you believe in yourself, or those you hold dear, the fact that you put faith into something that gives you comfort is all that matters.
I find much comfort in those words.

And yes, lust is mortal sin.

Firocket1690
Feb 27, 2004, 03:55 PM
On 2004-02-27 12:28, anwserman wrote:
[quote]
There is not really anything that condemns someone for being a homosexual.

Well, at (my) school, people consider being gay as a freak of nature. Social isolation ?

*hugs Sounomi*
I never knew that you were... ah. Neat!
*hugs her again* http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Well, the whole topic was created because I got some messages in regards with the signature.
I only said "... w00t?" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hell, I dunno what I am (er ... sexually)
I don't plan to have sex or marrige, or other crap, so meh.
To me, God may or may not exist. If he does, yay, if not, makes no difference in my life. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anywho ...
*drops two pennies and runs*

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 27, 2004, 04:03 PM
On 2004-02-26 21:41, anwserman wrote:
Well, I'm gay.

Not like I have control over it or anything, but well some people like to think that it is within my control and that I'm living a life that will bring be to the fiery inferno. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You know, I have yet to come across something that expressedly speaks out against being gay. There's plenty of stuff to condemn promiscuity, most especially the extremes of such, but not specifically homosexuality.

Still, I'd say that if being gay bothers you, you could change yourself-- but if it doesn't bother you, then why should you try?

Personally, I believe that God would not turn away anyone that loves him. If you love God, then I'm confident that he'll accept you with open arms, regardless of what you've done. If murderers and rapists can come to find God's love, then surely a gay man can, as well.

Still, here's what the Bible says about how to obtain salvation--

Romans 10:1-13

1Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. 4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
5Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." 6But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' " (that is, to bring Christ down) 7"or 'Who will descend into the deep?' " (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-02-27 13:08 ]</font>

navci
Feb 27, 2004, 04:05 PM
The thing is, if having sex for a reason other than for procreation, then why don't they pounce on the heterosexuals that do so. Just because their het doesn't mean that they're not going to have sex for reasons of pleasure and whatnot.

It is pretty ironic that, while those people who claim God is against homosexuals usually don't find anything wrong with oh, I don't know, shows or movies that protray women and men sleeping around with no intention of never giving birth to a child. Or, people that buy condoms, and such. :/ People just like to contradict themselves. :/

While we're at it, let's just think about how the world would be like if all the sex has to and will result in some new lives. That would make a pretty horrible end of the world. :/ Might look like just even Hell itself.

And on topic: Answerman! Nice sig! And questions answered. Now I can stop guessing. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Hrith
Feb 27, 2004, 04:10 PM
it does not say homosexuality is not a sin, it says you can confess for your sins, which is a very good argument by the way.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 27, 2004, 04:15 PM
On 2004-02-27 13:10, Kef wrote:
it does not say homosexuality is not a sin, it says you can confess for your sins, which is a very good argument by the way.

Romans 10 (quoted above) is all you need to know-- the entire point of the New Testament condensed into a few verses.

Zebulan7
Feb 27, 2004, 05:56 PM
I have to agree with Sounomi, that is the point.

I quote the Bible: 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NIV)

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

God understands Homosexuality, and says "offenders" in the same way he means "sexually immoral." Each is wrong, and they will not inherit the kingdom of God. Even those who condemn Gays can go to hell for each of these things. I'm not saying this is the only offences you can have against God.

God does have requirements, though. I'm afraid I contradict HUnewearl_Meria's ideas.

In the verse HUnewearl_Meria was quoting, it was addressed to Jews who believed that Gentiles could not inherit the kingdom of heaven without doing Jewish customs. This was proof that Gentiles could put Jesus in their hearts and be saved. As it was addressed to Jews, specifics on being saved were not detailed.

Mark 16:16

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

You could be baptized, and still go to hell. You must believe to be saved, but you must be baptized as well. There are more versus about Baptizm and being saved, but this is all off the top of my head, so I can't "flesh out."

In conclusion, don't practice sexual immoralty, any sexual preference will do you bad. Even Jew who follow Leviticus are commanded to "not lay with another man as they do with a woman." People should not treat you differently (even though some do) and you should do the same. I'm not sure to the extint God says "no" on homosexuality, like with even being attracted, but I know even "making-out" is not proper behavior for "straight" people.

This is just what I figure from what I have memorized.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 27, 2004, 07:38 PM
Let's not get confused on what "Baptism" is though, Zebulan. Simply having a preacher or church elder dip you in a bathtub full of water isn't going to gain the favor of God. You make it far too complex. Ultimately, a physical ceremony means very little. The water is not important for salvation, and just the same, the act portrayed is not important, either. It is what it symbolizes that is important. It is the acknowledgement of the sacrifices that God has made out of his love for us, and the reciprocation of that love. To undergo the ceremony of being "Baptized" is little more than a public announcement that you have made this acknowledgement.

Observe 1st Peter 3:17-22

17It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand--with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Solstis
Feb 27, 2004, 07:57 PM
On 2004-02-27 16:38, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Observe 1st Peter 3:17-22

17It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand--with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Hm... do you keep notes next to your PC?
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But anyway, I did guess that it had something to do with Mitch, though the green hair threw me off. (to be on topic).

Everyone brings up good points, though I've agreed with Meira every time so far. Has some personal meaning to me, ya 'know (wink wink, nudge nudge, orther excessive gesturing).

Kent
Feb 27, 2004, 07:59 PM
*Ignores all the religious crap*

Now try explaining my sig.

Zebulan7
Feb 27, 2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, I understand why you may think baptism is not really that neccisarry. The only thing is he comanded us to be baptized, yet baptism without faith is meaningless, which goes with the dirt being washed off thing.

Baptism is really like a marriage cerimony (just go with it). A cerimony is not really neccessary, but both parties love it. It shows our devotion to God and Jesus, and at that moment our sins are wiped clean, we our "born again" from the water.

Communion may be a symbol that some see as meaningless, but he still told us to do it "in rememberance." It is just one thing that shows our continued devotion, and lets us think about our faith.

Aside from that long outskirt, back on subject.

Answerman, I think your sig has lots of meaning. I still don't know if the "he" is God, or someone you were talking to.

BogusKun
Feb 27, 2004, 11:28 PM
Going to Hell for being Gay?

NONSENSE!!!

My Heaven has beautiful Women and Mens all over me. I feel like Gacky from his Illuminati Video...

LollipopLolita
Feb 27, 2004, 11:36 PM
what the hell, everything is turning into christian talk. or did the tv suddenly get stuck on a christian network here? i feel like it's dejavu every other thread. god, sin, gay marriage, christianity, bible says this, religion is hogwash, and i just summarized a bunch of threads.

On 2004-02-27 16:59, Kent wrote:

right on...

don't just stop at what someone tells you or what you think you have (ie 9 lives), go for more (live for 10)

or Aerosmith

do i get candy?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-02-27 20:38 ]</font>

FOAtHeart
Feb 27, 2004, 11:45 PM
im a very logical scientific person, and i like to have discussions. so, i was talking to my friend josh at lunch, and i brought up a topic about God and His unproved existence;and josh FREAKED OUT on me. totally SPAZZED. but that's what you get from living in Tennessee, where EVERYONE is christian.
i usually wont believe something if i dont have concrete proof; but for people who believe in God, His existence isnt proven,but you believe in Him anyway,and that's what faith is, right?

edit: Oh, and i wish the world had more gay people. they're awesome! (not me though. i hate being straight ^_^)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2004-02-27 20:46 ]</font>

Kent
Feb 28, 2004, 03:34 AM
On 2004-02-27 20:36, LollipopLolita wrote:

On 2004-02-27 16:59, Kent wrote:

right on...

don't just stop at what someone tells you or what you think you have (ie 9 lives), go for more (live for 10)

or Aerosmith

do i get candy?

Bingo.

*gives Lolli candy*