PDA

View Full Version : Calling someone clever

Aceizace
Feb 28, 2004, 08:44 PM
OK, i'm fed up with just trying over and over until it works, i want a proper explaination of what's going on now.

Basicly i can connect no problem when i go via 'homepage', but when i go to 'online game' i get '015 Error' (couldn't get IP address from DHCP). I would like someone clever to tell me what the difference between the two methods of connecting are, surely it's just connecting through a piece of cable, why do i get different results each time?

The only thing i can think of is the error 'no certificate found' when i try to connect via 'homepage'. I have to OK that error then it works fine. Perhaps it is getting that error when i try to do it via 'online game' and gives up, thinking that it didn't get a responce from the DHCP or whatever. Thats the only thing i could think of, please help? Thanks!

Rich_T
Feb 29, 2004, 05:07 AM
the certifiacte doesnt exist message on the browser is normal.
As for the game refusing to connect, if your using a router you may need to alter some settings, if its a direct conection to a modem or Internet conection sharing you may ned to tell you isp what the MAC address is.

Aceizace
Feb 29, 2004, 05:22 PM
I'm connecting via ICS on AOL. Win XP. And i dunno what you mean by:
'tell your isp what the MAC address is.'!

It's really wierd tho, it's not like i cant get online via 'online game', it's just that it takes ages, and doesn't last long, and is really hard to get back on if i've just disconnected. There is also no set-in-stone way of making it work as far as i can tell. I usually have to a mix of the following

Restart the computer.
Restart the GC.
Click 'settings' on the sharing tab of the connection's properties, and tick every box.
Turn off 'require data encryption' on the connection's properties.
Go through the GC's connection settings, without changing anything.
Go through the GC's connection settings, change it to manual IP, save, and go back through, changing it back to auto.
Connect via 'homepage'.
Re-set up home networking on the computer.

to get it to sign on via 'online game'. And this is only when it is working via 'homepage'. It can take me up to half an hour just to get online, and if i've just disconnected and tried again, i ususally have to give up. Does any of that mean anything?

Don't worry i'm getting a router the split-second i have the money to do so, but i've got a HL and i don't want to waste it.

Sha_Hua
Mar 1, 2004, 11:52 AM
'tell your isp what the MAC address is.'
ISP is Internet Service Provider a.k.a. your internet provider.
MAC adres is a unique code giving to the broadband adapter (of your GC).
But since you are using internet sharing your PC resolves all of this.

Have you tried a manual IP?
You would have to set this IP in your cube as wel as on your pc's internet sharing software.
It might make a difference in the stability of your connection. Also the connection wil establish quicker.

Also are you running any software on the PC while playing? It could be that software on the PC uses the same port and kills the connection to youre GC.

Thinking of ports, could it be that you're using a proxy? This means that certain ports are rerouted, but this normally doesn't cause these problems.
Anyway you can look this up in your internet browser on your pc.

Good luck http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

VioletSkye
Mar 1, 2004, 12:28 PM
I seriously doubt they are running a proxy (if they don't know what a MAC is, I'm sure they haven't set up a proxy lol)

All I can say is that ICS through AOL is spotty at best. You may try manually setting an IP in which case I would set your GC's IP to 1 digit off your PC's IP. For example if your PC's IP is 64.12.89.52, then set your GC's IP to 64.12.89.53.

Your best bet is to go with a router. AOL is good for grandparents who only do some browsing and email, but unfortunately it sux for everything else and is WAAAYYYYYY too restrictive. Online gaming is difficult and running any type of server is next to impossible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-01 09:31 ]</font>

Rich_T
Mar 1, 2004, 02:14 PM
If your in the UK or Europe, AOL doesnt officaly work with hardware that isnt provided by AOL ( such as routers) there are some workarounds though, but these only work on some equipment, try http://www.adslguide.org for info (UK only)
your best option would be to get a normal ISP, backup all your data on your P.C, then un install AOL using the only method that gets rid of AOL compltly:
format :C

VioletSkye
Mar 1, 2004, 02:20 PM
then un install AOL using the only method that gets rid of AOL compltly:
format :C

LOL, sad but true http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rich_T
Mar 1, 2004, 03:17 PM
and never ever ever ever even think about putting one of those " free trail internet trail " CDs in your P.C,even if you need a cheap temporary internet acces.
when you think youve got rid of AOL ( using the un instaler)it will rear its ugly head somehow and cause grief in the future, in my case it cost 60pounds ( US$114) to get my p.c back to life again.

Aceizace
Mar 2, 2004, 02:59 PM
I didn't realise AOL was so hard to remove from the computer.

Either way, like i said in one of my posts somewhere, i AM getting a router eventually, but i can't just afford to make random payments of around £80 just to play a game. AOL UK does actually support routers now, they say use whatever you like, but they will only provide support for a speedtouch one. They are made by Alcatel, and quite luckily for me, one of my good friend's dad works for them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. Actually the chances of him getting me one are quite low but it's worth a shot. Failing that it might be a while before i can connect properly.

The aim of the first post was for someone to tell me the difference between connecting with online game and going through homepage, how do they connect to the DHCP any differently so that one works and the other doesn't? Thats why you'll notice i didn't mention AOL or even ICS in my first post, becuase i just wanted someone to tell me why it might work one way but not the other, then i could go about fixing whatever is restricting the online game.

Sorry if i sound harsh at all but i'm not intrested in alternative methods of getting on right now, that's a side project that involves more money. The fact that i CAN and HAVE got online via my setup shows that there must be some random factor that is stopping me, and i just wonder if anyone knows what it is or how i can fix it in my favor? Surely if i can get online sometimes, i don't need to buy anything else to make it work, i just need to tweak some settings?

Sorry but if no one knows the answer to that then i'm not intrested in anything else like routers, i already know all that because i must've been trying to get online for over a year now.

Rich_T
Mar 2, 2004, 03:30 PM
If your having any trouble with any part of your ADSL internet service in the UK have a look through the forums at http://www.adslguide.org.uk and scroll donw to where your ISP is listed

From there i can see that people using AOL have had trouble recently using internet conection sharing/routers and other non AOL hardware/software due to some recent changes made by AOL.
This would explain why your set up has recently started to malfunction, looking through that forum i beleive that everyhing should be working again now
This is the thread in ADSL guide with all the relavant info on AOL and the recent changes (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aol&Number=1133813&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&vc=1)