PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

kitomaka_ck
Feb 28, 2004, 09:45 PM
How???

I repeat: How???

I dont want any old overdone theory like the use a spaceship to pull a wormhole bu*****t (and yes, i have to censor that, and any others), because you know what? I don wanna be a fookin astronaut. Plus that wont happen. Hasnt anyone here seen Donnie Darko? That had a great theory in it. How else can we possibly do this? Maybe if we type "timmaddoglevartemit" into a certain program, our computer says "Renaissance in 5...4..." and warps us? I have nothing else to do so ill try REASONABLE theories and see what happens, but dont flame, I just want creative thoughts here, please!

1. Spaceship/wormhole theory: Verdict - B/S

2. Personal wormhole theory: I cant see them without special glasses or whatever so unknown

this is all i have gathered, post more here?

Amiadon
Feb 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
Well, there is a theory that seems to work, but it hasn't been tested yet due to difficulties. Of course, it isn't at all practical, so I don't think you could do it. However, since you seem to be looking for theories, I might as well tell you.

In a chamber/area/something, there are two circular tracks; one in floor, one in ceiling, directly opposite each other. Attached to these tracks are very powerful spot lights, two on each track, directly opposite each other. Now, these lights begin to spin faster and faster, until they become a blur, etc. Then, the area where this machine is is bombarded with ultra freezing particles, absolute zero. This effectively is supposed to turn light solid, or something like that, i dunno. Then, by walking through this area, you can travel backwards/forwards. However, the only problem is that you can only travel back to the point where the machine was created; you cannot go further.

Meh.

Solstis
Feb 28, 2004, 11:22 PM
If you sit in an old TV box, you can move at the amazing rate of 1second.

WEll, I don't know how, but I can talk a lot about the multiple dimension/planes theory.

But I'm sleepy, so I won't.

Ness
Feb 28, 2004, 11:25 PM
Time travel is impossible. Even if we could do it, one could only go back as early as the time machine was created.

Daikarin
Feb 29, 2004, 07:40 AM
On 2004-02-28 20:25, Ness wrote:
Time travel is impossible. Even if we could do it, one could only go back as early as the time machine was created.

That's only if you think logically. There has been some cases of travelling in time, without machines or not.

Of course, we can't tell if they're true, so its up to you to believe it or not.

http://paranormal.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.keelynet.com/time/bajak1.htm

Above: Drafts of a time machine, with several letters explaining how "it" works. It was sent by an anonymous person so...

Traveling Madly Through Time

(...) -> New ultimate cut the boring part to most of you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But these apparent paradoxes don't seem to bother people like Steven Gibbs, who says he's already had the pleasure of traveling through time. There are several other people who claim to have made the journey - some quite by accident. Here are their stories.

Riding the HDR
In an interview with Strange magazine, Steven Gibbs relates how he became interested in time travel when, back in 1981, he received a letter from his future self. Gibbs is the inventor of a device he calls the Hyper Dimensional Resonator (HDR), which he says can be used to transport anyone through time. In fact, he's received reports from several of his customers:

Excerpt: "There are so doggoned many grids up in the California area that anybody who activates one of my HDR units in California is pretty much going to travel physically through time whether they like it or not. And some of them haven't even gotten back, from what I've heard. And that's kind of the danger involved in physical time travel. And usually people who travel physically to the fifth dimension generally don't come back alive. Because there are some beings in the fifth dimension that are really headstrong about somebody setting foot in their realm up there."

The message is clear: When time traveling, stay away from the fifth dimension. Gibbs goes on to relate how he used his HDR to jump from a positive universe to a negative one. And somehow, the "grey" aliens and Men In Black are also involved in all this.

Drive Through Time
Another instance of time slippage that took place in 1969 is claimed by a man only identified as L.C. Time Traveler tells how in October of that year, L.C. and an associate were driving along Highway 167 when they passed what would be considered to be an antique car in mint condition. Oddly, however, the car's license plate was dated 1940. And that was just the beginning.

Excerpt: "As they passed the car slowly to its left, L.C. noticed the driver of the car was a young woman dressed in what appeared to be 1940 vintage clothing. The windows of her car were rolled up, a fact which puzzled L.C. because, though the temperature was nippy, it was quite pleasant and a light sweater was sufficient to keep you comfortable. As they pulled up next to the car, their study turned to alarm as their attention was riveted to the animated expressions of fear and panic on the woman's face. Driving alongside of her at a near crawl, they could see her frantically looking back and forth as if lost or in need of help. She appeared on the verge of tears. L.C. called out to her and asked if she needed help. To this she nodded "yes," all the while with a very puzzled look at their vehicle."

After L.C. motioned to the young woman to pull off to the side of the road, L.C. and his friend drove ahead of the old car and pulled off themselves. They got out and looked back for the car... and it had simply vanished. This episode was supposedly witnessed by another driver who was behind both cars. Time slippage? A ghost car? Or just a little too much gin on the road trip? If true, the story is one more for the time-travel folder of the unexplained.

In the following excerpt, "Greys" (who some americans claim to have seen) and "Men in Black" are mentioned. Talk about sci-fi

Riding the HDR
In an interview with Strange magazine, Steven Gibbs relates how he became interested in time travel when, back in 1981, he received a letter from his future self. Gibbs is the inventor of a device he calls the Hyper Dimensional Resonator (HDR), which he says can be used to transport anyone through time. In fact, he's received reports from several of his customers:
Excerpt: "There are so doggoned many grids up in the California area that anybody who activates one of my HDR units in California is pretty much going to travel physically through time whether they like it or not. And some of them haven't even gotten back, from what I've heard. And that's kind of the danger involved in physical time travel. And usually people who travel physically to the fifth dimension generally don't come back alive. Because there are some beings in the fifth dimension that are really headstrong about somebody setting foot in their realm up there."

The message is clear: When time traveling, stay away from the fifth dimension. Gibbs goes on to relate how he used his HDR to jump from a positive universe to a negative one. And somehow, the "grey" aliens and Men In Black are also involved in all this.

Here's something to the most curious ones about time travelling tales:

A Flight Through Time

Goddard?s second trip into the unexplained involved an airplane flight. This was a much more personally harrowing experience. In 1935, while a Wing Commander, Goddard flew a Hawker Hart biplane to Edinburgh, Scotland, from his home base in Andover, England, for a weekend visit. On the Sunday before flying back, Goddard visited an abandoned airfield in Drem, near Edinburgh, this location being closer to his final destination than the airport at which he landed. The Drem airfield, constructed during the first World War, was a shambles. The tarmac and four hangars were in disrepair, barbed wire divided the field into numerous pastures, and cattle grazed everywhere. It was now a farm, and completely useless as an airfield.

On Monday, Goddard began the flight back to his home base. The weather was dark and ominous, with low clouds and heavy rain. Goddard was flying in an open cockpit over mountainous terrain without radio navigational aides or cloud flying instruments. Rain beating down on his forehead and onto his flying goggles badly obscured his vision. He thought he could climb above the clouds, but he was wrong. He made it to 8,000 feet, looking for a break in the clouds. There was none.

Suddenly Goddard lost control of his plane. It began to spiral downward. He struggled with the controls. He could speed up or slow down, but he could not stop the spin. He was unsure of his location, but knew he was falling rapidly and might smash into the mountains before coming out of the clouds. The sky became darker, the clouds turning a strange yellowish-brown. The rain came down even more heavily. Goddard?s altimeter showed he was only a thousand feet above the ground and dropping rapidly. At two hundred feet and still spiraling downward, he began to see a bit of daylight through the murky gloom, but his spiral toward seemingly inevitable death was far from over.

Goddard was now flying at 150 miles per hour. He emerged from the clouds over ?rotating water? that he recognized as the Firth of Forth. He was still falling. Suddenly, he saw directly before him a stone sea wall with a path, a road, and railings on top of it. The road seemed to be slowly rotating from left to right. The cloud cover was down to forty feet. Goddard was now flying below twenty feet and was within an instant of tragedy. A young girl with a baby carriage ran through the pouring rain. She ducked her head just in time to avoid Hart?s wingtip. Goddard succeeded in leveling out his plane after that. He barely missed striking the water after clearing the sea wall by a few feet.

He was now flying only several feet above a stony beach. Fog and rain obscured all distant visibility, but Goddard somehow located his position. He identified the road to Edinburgh and soon was able to discern, through the gloom, the black silhouettes of the Drem Airfield hangars ahead of him, the same airfield he had visited the day before. The rain became a deluge, the sky grew even darker, and Goddard?s plane was shaken violently by the turbulent weather as it sped toward the Drem hangars-and into a different world.

Suddenly, the sky turned bright with golden sunlight. The rain and the farm had vanished. The hangars and the tarmac appeared to have somehow been rebuilt in a brand-new condition. There were four planes lined at the end of the tarmac. Three were standard Avro 504N trainer biplanes; the fourth was a monoplane of an unknown type-the RAF had no monoplanes in 1935. All four airplanes were bright yellow. No RAF airplanes were painted yellow in 1935. The airplane mechanics were wearing blue overalls. RAF mechanics never wore anything but brown overalls when working in hangars in 1935.

It took Goddard only an instant to fly over the airfield. He was only a few feet above the ground-just high enough to clear the hangars-but apparently none of the mechanics saw him or even heard his plane. As he sped away from the airfield, he was again engulfed by the storm. He forced his plane upward, flying at 17,000 feet and then, for a time, at 21,000 feet. He managed to return to his home base safely.

Goddard felt elated when he landed. He then made the mistake of telling fellow officers about his eerie experience. They looked at him as if he were drunk or crazy. Goddard decided to keep silent about what had happened to him. He did not want a discharge from the RAF on mental grounds.

In 1939, Goddard watched as RAF trainers began to be painted yellow and the mechanics switched to blue coveralls. The RAF introduced a new training monoplane exactly like the one he had seen in his flight over Drem. It was called the Magister. He learned that the airfield at Drem had been refurbished.

Another twenty-seven years went by, but Goddard never forgot what had happened. He played it through over and over in his mind. It was not until 1966 that he wrote of this experience. Over the years he had become convinced that there was no way he could have known that the RAF would change the colors of their trainers and their mechanics? overalls four years before these changes took place. Goddard finally concluded that he must have glimpsed the future-or even traveled into it-for a brief moment in time.

Was this conclusion so unreasonable? Our senses determine our reality. Goddard was under extreme stress, and thought he might die. Perhaps the bonds controlling Goddard?s senses cracked for an instant, in the face of mortal danger, freeing him to glimpse another reality.

This won't considered time travel, but its interesting nonetheless, because a guy appears after he supposedly dies:

The Smirking Airman

Goddard?s first venture into the world of the unexplained involved a photograph. In 1975, the seventy-eight year old retired Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard published the story of a photograph that he had kept for many years. It was a group photograph of his squadron. It was taken in early 1919 at the end of World War I and portrayed some 200 men and women who survived the fighting. It was an official RAF photograph. Nobody could have tampered with either the photograph or its negative at any time. When the photo was developed, it was placed on the squadron bulletin board so that those who wanted copies could sign up for them. There was one thing wrong, though. There was an extra face in the photograph, a face belonging to the late Airman Freddy Jackson. Jackson was a mechanic, who died by heedlessly walking into a spinning propeller two days before the squadron, which was to be disbanded, posed for the photo. In fact, his funeral took place on the day the squadron gathered for the photo. In the photo (above), everyone is wearing a hat but Jackson. Everyone is looking grim except Jackson, who is smiling enigmatically. The others had reason to look grim-they had just returned from Jackson?s funeral.

Is the face in the photo really that of Jackson's spirit? Goddard and others of the squadron were convinced that it was. Goddard, in his book Flight Towards Reality, suggests that Jackson's expression seemed to say: My goodness me-I nearly failed to make it-They didn?t wait, or leave a place for me, the blighters!?

Interesting, eh? Just be careful to what you step into.

*laughs like Eggman*

EDIT: Source: http://paranormal.about.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2004-02-29 04:42 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Feb 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
I don't think it's possible. I doubt time is a dimension or property of space, but a side effect of our ability to store and recall memories.

Anyhow, I have a question. Energy cannot be created or destoryed. There is a set amount in the universe - and it will stay that way. How would that effect physics if you just displaced energy from one timeframe into another one. That would diminish energy in one timeframe - while surplusing it in another. Would it even matter?

It's like this.. if you wanted to make an A-bomb that had the condenced energy of the same Uranium from several different time frames. You couldn't do it, because as soon as you displace that energy from one frame of time - it won't be there to carry over to the next.. making it impossible to condence any further. You couldn't even condence it x2 since the moment you detonate the bomb, you're converting the energy into another form - so it won't be there in the future.

Is this even making sence.. or am I just rambling?

Daikarin
Feb 29, 2004, 01:31 PM
I'll just add this.

Galileo, or whatever his name was, stated that the Earth revolved around the Sun and not the opposite, and was considered a fool by the people at his time and died for that.

A study made the past century proved that it was impossible for human beings to survive inside the trains at 140 km/h. It was stated that anyone would choke at extreme speeds.

Bill Gates stated twenty years ago that 640k was the top limit for computer disk drives, saying it was impossible for someone to need more.

Another Jack said that "There's no real reason why anyone would need a computer at home."

We all know how right or wrong they were, right now. Because we evolved to this point of intelligence.

We all know that the Earth revolves around the sun, that we can even eat inside supersonic cars, that you can buy a 20 GB disk drive at the local market, and that a computer is more than a useful tool at home.

So, if what they believed in was twisted away by modern cience facts ages ago, what guarantees can you get that someday all that you consider "impossible" to be proven "possible"?

Think of it, scientific breakthroughs are made all the time. About the black-hole, about the science of man and his body, etc.

How can you just say that something isn't possible when in fact we don't have the enough knowledge to understand it?

Nothing's impossible, you must be open to new ideas. Someday some college group will appear on TV with the cure for AIDS, and who knows what can happen concerning time travel?

kitomaka_ck
Feb 29, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hmmm. The whole freezing light thing is a new concept to me, but having potential light energy stored in ice, well, you cant walk through ice. And the light energy travels through clear substances, like a window, or a prism, or ice.

If time had a false value, then a new universe would have to be created every millisecond, for every frame, and we would have no memory. Lets tone it down a bit now: slowing down time. Well, now that I think about it, that would require time travel...

Here is something you would have to remember:
Energy Stays.
If you saved onto your memory card when your character grows from level 99 to 100, then left it on the ground, traveled back, it could be a) on the ground, with the memory of level100, or b), in the gamecube, with the memory of level100. Either way, the energy would stil be stored there, right?

and one possible downside would be that if energy stays, then anything moving would remain? If you've seen donnie darko, you know that lttle wormhole things come from our chests (supposedly) and we travel throught that wormhole to get where we were going to go. So in reality,we are time traveling every moment? That would mean it would be impossible to back in time, as time machines are constantly being created.

Have you heard the phrase:
Music is nothing but organized sound.
Well, time is nothing but organized energy.
Imagine periods of time over a strip of film. If you freeze that light energy somehow, time would move on, and the light would be seen in the past. But all that would happen is the ability to move into the future faster, as you would be in a mass of energy that exists throughout time.

Well ive thought myself out now, comment

_Ted_
Feb 29, 2004, 02:11 PM
On 2004-02-28 19:16, Amiadon wrote:
Well, there is a theory that seems to work, but it hasn't been tested yet due to difficulties. Of course, it isn't at all practical, so I don't think you could do it. However, since you seem to be looking for theories, I might as well tell you.

In a chamber/area/something, there are two circular tracks; one in floor, one in ceiling, directly opposite each other. Attached to these tracks are very powerful spot lights, two on each track, directly opposite each other. Now, these lights begin to spin faster and faster, until they become a blur, etc. Then, the area where this machine is is bombarded with ultra freezing particles, absolute zero. This effectively is supposed to turn light solid, or something like that, i dunno. Then, by walking through this area, you can travel backwards/forwards. However, the only problem is that you can only travel back to the point where the machine was created; you cannot go further.

Meh.

You might have some trouble finding anything that is absolute zero...If you really wanted to travel years into the future you could just accelerate a spaceship that you were on to near the spead of light. Since time would slow down for you as you approached the speed of light, by the time you traveled at the speed for a year and then returned to earth you find that everything else had aged many many years while you had only aged a year. Its not technically time travel, but it woud get you to the future pretty fast.

goku4ever
Feb 29, 2004, 02:35 PM
Its not technically time travel, but it woud get you to the future pretty fast.

lol

Logical2u
Feb 29, 2004, 03:37 PM
There is no proven way of time travel YET.

There IS, however, a theory similar to the Faster to Light, 'further' into time you are.

Ok, as we know the faster you travel the slower you age. (astronauts HAVE proven this, they are something like 3 eights of second younger then the rest of us after being rotated around the earth.

The closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time passes for you. SO, you might age 1 day but everyone else would age 2 days.

Now, once you hit lightspeed (which is still impossible) you would begin to stop experiencing time, then after going faster then light, theoretically your experience of time would be in REVERSE.

Think about it.

Also, since Time/Space is a dimension, and Wormholes travers that dimension, a wormhole through space could effectivly go through time.

(Logical2u's quick guide to wormholes)

Make a moebius strip (a strip of paper bent once so it will only have 1 side if you go around it twice)

Punch a hole through a part of the moebius strip.

Where does the hole go?>

OBVIOUS ANSWER: Duh, the other side.

Scientific answer: It would go to the opposite 'side' of the moebius strip. And, since moebius strips have only 1 side, it's effectivly a shortcut halfway around the moebius strip.

dylcool
Feb 29, 2004, 04:18 PM
On 2004-02-29 06:03, _Sinue_ wrote:
Anyhow, I have a question. Energy cannot be created or destoryed. There is a set amount in the universe - and it will stay that way. How would that effect physics if you just displaced energy from one timeframe into another one. That would diminish energy in one timeframe - while surplusing it in another. Would it even matter?

Well, if you think of time in terms of the 4th dimension (and I know very little about this), you could just think in terms of energy being able to stay constant within one dimension. In the third dimension, which is depth (I think?), not all facets of existence have equal energy. Compare this to the infinite number of timelines. Perhaps not all timelines have equal amounts of energy. However, in the third dimension (and presumably the first and second, what do I know), energy can be displaced. Does this mean that energy can be displaced within the 4th dimension?

I'm sorry if this post makes no sense to anybody or is just horribly wrong, its based on more ignorance than fact most likely.

http://paranormal.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.keelynet.com/time/bajak1.htm

Above: Drafts of a time machine, with several letters explaining how "it" works. It was sent by an anonymous person so...

Ha!
This site is sorta funny, because of some of the things they say. I'll quote some of my favorites.

Back to June 1st. In my memory, I remember the reasons I was anxious: Number one was owing my father seven hundred dollars. I was not being able to talk with him about this debt for a month because he was in Poland; Two, a feeling that I had invented a flux capacitor. This is a foundation for time travel, but I did not have a car to try it out.

Doesn't it sound like someone was just pulling a prank?

1. The universe as we know it is based on physical quantity "love".
2. Love is indivisible.
Proposition a: Love limits communication
Proposition b: Love is infinitely accessible
Proposition c: Love is finitely variable
Proposition d: A point in the universe is an arc in love-explained space/time or mathematically

F(P) = ((f(t), delta t, 1/t))

Where a recursive arc usually felt as time is expressed as

delta t = 1/t, or t (t -t ) = 1/t where x = F(t)

X A B

Defining Love as mass in time, one gram in one second = 1 unit of Love, 1 unit of love = 1 hubert, we have the expression L = mt2

Knowing work = energy / time, energy = mass * speedoflight ,

wt = (L*c )/t

2 2
wt = Lvc

Energy is equivalent to mass, energy defined as amplification (work from time = 0) and mass as love on a light plane.

Wow. He explains time travel by quantifying love as a "hubert," giving a whole bunch of bogus equations. Just look at the equations. They mean absolutely nothing!

Good read, though.

Kent
Feb 29, 2004, 05:19 PM
Time travel is completely possible. I mean, really, what do you think you're doing right now?

Aside from that, accelerated, decelerated, or reversed time travel is all a matter of plutonium, twinkies and gatorade...