PDA

View Full Version : No playstation version?

Sha_Hua
Mar 1, 2004, 12:34 PM
I'm looking to buy a newer version of PSO, but there is no playstation version?!

Does anyone know why?

It's such a shame SEGA stopt with their consoles.
Otherwise I would just wait for that.

VioletSkye
Mar 1, 2004, 12:37 PM
Ask Sega

Malkavian
Mar 1, 2004, 12:54 PM
I guess Sonic Team truly dislikes PS2. I know they made Sonic Heroes but that's because Sonic is a mainstream character and for continue being it it must be for PS2 too. Anyways the Sonic Heroes PS2 version has many flaws compared to GC, Xbox.

KingChaos
Mar 1, 2004, 12:56 PM
no id say because there is no way online on the ps2

Outrider
Mar 1, 2004, 01:00 PM
On 2004-03-01 09:56, FOnewm_Chaos wrote:

Man, you'd better go stop all those people from playing online games on PS2, then.

I thought I saw an interview somewhere with Yuji Naka (or maybe some other Sonic Team person) that said he didn't like developing for the PS2 because of the difficulties involved with it. PS2 isn't the easiest console to develop for... for one reason or another.

VioletSkye
Mar 1, 2004, 01:13 PM
On 2004-03-01 09:56, FOnewm_Chaos wrote:

Uhhh check your facts again slick, PS2 has quite a few online games.

Alisha
Mar 1, 2004, 01:57 PM
oldest topic ever.... anyways i honestly dont think ps2 has the power to run pso maybee the older versions but not ep1 and 2 since they make full use of the water effects wich is something gc excells at

Zaneatron
Mar 1, 2004, 02:07 PM
yes, i heard that PS2 doesnt have the power to run the game, somthing like it (PS2) having 4000 of something, whereas the GC and Xbox have 10000 of them.

PurplePower1
Mar 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
sony sucks

-Geshtar-
Mar 1, 2004, 02:19 PM
Say whaaaaaaat? I myself may have long forgotten any game systems mother boards, chips, specs. But surely can tell that the PS2 could run PSO. If it's a problem of graphics, then fear not. PSO kinda lacks in that area. Perhaps a few pretty areas, but the character frames *excludeing bosses* remind me a lot of THPS2. Not top of the line frames.

A2K
Mar 1, 2004, 02:25 PM
The PS2 could run Phantasy Star Online. It probably wouldn't be as flashy as the Gamecube or Xbox versions, but it could do it. In general though, Sonic Team seems mostly turned off by PS2 development, mostly because of reasons already stated in this thread.

Not to say it will never happen, just that it's unlikely it will anytime soon.

Jack
Mar 1, 2004, 02:37 PM
All versions of the game so far have required at least 8MB of video RAM to run - the PS2 has a mere 4.

Zaneatron
Mar 1, 2004, 02:41 PM
On 2004-03-01 11:37, Jack wrote:
All versions of the game so far have required at least 8MB of video RAM to run - the PS2 has a mere 4.

i think this is what i was supposed to be hinting one :S me confused, but this sounds about right http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jkid
Mar 1, 2004, 04:43 PM
I thought I saw an interview somewhere with Yuji Naka (or maybe some other Sonic Team person) that said he didn't like developing for the PS2 because of the difficulties involved with it. PS2 isn't the easiest console to develop for... for one reason or another.

That's the reason why you won't be seeing a PS2 version of PSO at all. Besides the PS2 has a mere 4MB, that's 50% below what the game needs to run properly.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 1, 2004, 06:23 PM
On 2004-03-01 13:43, Jkid wrote:
That's the reason why you won't be seeing a PS2 version of PSO at all. Besides the PS2 has a mere 4MB, that's 50% below what the game needs to run properly.

To be fair, the engine PSO runs on could be shuffled around to accomodate the PS2 (after all, there've been a great number of flashy games that're quite visually impressive on the PS2), HOWEVER...

The fact remains that the PlayStation 2 is an inferior piece of hardware, so if they're going to re-write PSO's graphical code for it, they may as well make a GBA version, as well (though, thinking about it, they probably COULD do that for Episode 3).

What it comes down to, is that PSO for GC and PSO for Xbox divide the audience more than it probably should be, as it is. These two platforms were chosen because they actually HAVE devkits available, and even if they didn't, they'd STILL be easier to develop for, because they were designed with ease of development in mind.

There'd also be a noticeable difference in graphics even compared to the Dreamcast, because the PS2 doesn't handle high-resolution textures as well, and anti-aliasing measures must be created manually, as the PS2 has no built-in capacity for this important feature. Don't count on seeing the water effects or anything like that.

In short, they could add PSO to the PS2, but it would cost quite a bit because they'd nearly have to re-create the entire game (quest and item data could possibly be copied straight over, but textures, models, camera tweaks and such would have to be adjusted for a totally new graphical engine), and it would further divide the market they're working with more than it would increase the size of their audience, therefore spreading the userbase too thin. Effectively, we'd be seeing something comparable to the Dreamcast version but with graphics improved in some areas and dumbed down in others. In other words, it'd be a step backward instead of a step forward.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2004-03-01 15:24 ]</font>

Omni-Man
Mar 2, 2004, 07:20 AM
nonononono NO!

Your answer is 3 words:

Everquest Online Adventures.

Sony and Verant Software developed EQOA. They would be somewhat moronic to add another online RPG to their roster that competes with their own product.

Its really a shame too, because PSO is, with all its flaws and faults, the best online game AND has the best online community I've ever encountered...

Sha_Hua
Mar 2, 2004, 07:27 AM
Well PS2 isn't the best on the market.
Otherwise it would have to be a xbox and I don't agree with MS their policies.
And going to Nintendo as a sega veteran doesn't feal right.
I'm trying to decide which console for over a year now.

Anyway I remember the memory problems from programming for PS2. Maybe it was stupid starting this topic knowing this from own experience. Although I still think it is possible, but probably it would be pretty shitty.

Thanx for clearing that out!

A2K
Mar 2, 2004, 02:33 PM
Interestingly enough Sonic Team is developing Astro Boy for the PS2, though.

Sha_Hua
Mar 2, 2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah I read about astro boy on the japanese sites a while back. I hope it will come out ok, but they'll probably do just fine.

I don't understand the relevance in this topic, but thanks