PDA

View Full Version : Gamers Lifestyle

Deathscythealpha
Mar 1, 2004, 04:56 PM
For University i have to work in a group and make a community website and keep it running through online communication (God knows why im still doing web design on a Games Design course, but thats another rant entirly). My group decided to do a website on the lifestyles of gamers and what they get up to when there not gaming.

And now i need some help. I was wondering if you lot could, well, give some examples of what you do when not gaming. Anything helps, not all will be used (i have to research some of this stuff, and i was kinda hoping most gamers spend their time in the pub so i could have a drink, but i dont think thats likly), but it may still be helpful non the less.

Just a few lines of what you get lot get up to will help, then i have to go out and do some researching and find out what i can put to this site.

BogusKun
Mar 1, 2004, 05:04 PM
I either help my father in investments or I do my homework. Either that or I play games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BogusKun on 2004-03-01 17:27 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Mar 1, 2004, 05:18 PM
While not gaming, I'm usually on the comp, doing something outside, watching tv/movies or at work.

More often than not I'm just bumming around on the net while I take a break from gaming, and if the weather's nice I'll go outside and get into whatever(take the black lab for a walk, etc).

KaFKa
Mar 1, 2004, 05:24 PM
either working at the local internet cafe, or going over stuff on the internet with my Fiance, or going out to clubs or raves with my Fiance.

yeah, life revolvs around the fiance... >.>

Zaneatron
Mar 1, 2004, 05:34 PM
hmmm, usually i either watch a bit of TV, or sometimes goto the cinema with friends.

most of the time im at college, if that counts http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif otherwise a very time consuming activity of mine is going to gigs. even up to the centre of london is a trek. although me and my friends did make it there in record time last time we went, took us just over or under :S an hour to get there.
but im off to Brighton tomorrow infact to see Thrice http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
the only other time you'll see me out of the house if for pub/club http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif gotta get me some JD....

navci
Mar 1, 2004, 05:40 PM
Computer, game, eat, sleep.

*sobs*
It is a sad life.

BogusKun
Mar 1, 2004, 06:28 PM
I want your life navi mwahaha.

kingmurp
Mar 1, 2004, 06:35 PM
Working, partying, and sleep on occasions.

shifter
Mar 1, 2004, 06:45 PM
when im not playing games, im most likely in classes(man time moves soooo very slow when in classes), watchin tv(most of the time), doin homework, studyin for tests, on the pc, eating, sleeping, or haggin with friends. it sounds like a lot, but its not.

RuneLateralus
Mar 1, 2004, 06:51 PM
Catch up on sleep, watch TV, school work, and the occasional day I have to go to work. If friends are available, depends on whatever we do. Also, since baseball season is starting up again, I will be going to the occasional Sox game now and then.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2004-03-01 15:51 ]</font>

Logical2u
Mar 1, 2004, 06:52 PM
I watch TV, sleep, work, write and read when not gaming. Which is often.

Allos
Mar 1, 2004, 06:53 PM
Basically, most of us are normal people with a shared hobby. I play guitar, surf the web, watch tv/movies, play sports, or make movies with my friends when I'm not gaming.

derBauer
Mar 1, 2004, 08:24 PM
doing homework, taking care of my dog, cleaning the house, eating, sleeping, sometimes I do things with friends. that's my life. Oh, and watching tv.

shinto_kuji
Mar 1, 2004, 08:42 PM
N-n-not g-gam-gaming!?

-head explodes-

Actually, I like to go riding on my Four-Wheeler (mudding mostly), watch tons of DVD's and do anything that revolves around music. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Oh yeah, and drinking coffee is a favorite pastime... so I don't have to sleep. -passes out-

Firocket1690
Mar 1, 2004, 10:13 PM
My daily schedule (literally):

wake up at 7AM
shower, bathroom, etc
change and get ready for school
[insert school here]
come home from school 3:15
computer/music (used to be playing games, but now I can't, because mother ripped out electricity in my room.)
fall asleep...
wake up at about 10 PM
shower
finish homework
go to sleep

And this happens to me, five days a week.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2004-03-01 19:14 ]</font>

undevil
Mar 1, 2004, 10:39 PM
I am not really an avid gamer. I have more physical hobbies, because that is who I am.

I wake up, get dressed, check forums for about 20 minutes, go to school, go to track practice, come home and get on computer for thirty, then I usually play my drums or I go biking for about two hours, eat dinner, check forums and stuff for another 30 minutes, take a shower, then I go to bed. Somewhere in between I do homework. As for gaming, I really only play them on the weekends for about an hour. I used to be a big gamer, but I cut down my gaming time by about 3/4's.

Mustashi2278
Mar 1, 2004, 10:44 PM
I go to school, hang out with freinds, take a walk, eat, sleep, play Magic : the gathering with my freinds, i'm almots qualified for a local tournement http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, read, i dont watch Tv mutch, i just think its boring , go biking, do some exercise (i try to take care of my healt has much has possible)
I dont much homework, 3rd year of high school is sooooooo eazy in Québec, I only study for 15 mins and score 90% on test http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Thats about it, it isnt much, its a simple life but im happy like that.

Zolpner
Mar 1, 2004, 10:52 PM
hmm..

On the computer talking to people I will probably never meet..
at school (in school I am currently doing Graphics & Design, Computer Programming, ICT (tecnical), an Auto-CAD course, Maths.. and English is compulsary.. (thought this might help a bit maybe... I duno))
washing (counting shower ect...)
I read (fantasy mostly)
doing webdesign stuff + image making stuff (photoshop ect)
Watching TV/Movies
Painting miniatures (Warhammer)
err Drawing..

Yea still mostly creative/imaginative things.. (well other than school)
hope this helps..

Daikarin
Mar 2, 2004, 05:14 AM
Well, some hobbies of mine include...

Sports! Who doesn't like sports?

I now play soccer with some pals at the park. I also used to play Tennis back in my homeland, and do swimming in the summer. I practice some martial arts and try to have a gym activity to keep in shape.

But aside from games, some of my free time is also spent studying, almost daily, engineering.

I also like to sit on the couch with some music and read a good manga, or watch some Anime at TV. Or just watch TV. But I rarely do one of these things.

Travel by bus. A lot. To go almost anywhere, except if I want to eat. If so, I'll walk to the nearest mall and have a sandwich, soup or something light.

I like to write as well, on the PC. With some mp3's on, I devote myself to imagine some stories. For now I only do fictions, but... I rarely have time for this hobby.

Hang out here. When I'm at home or in college, I always have to check up my college mails at my account, to check up on class hours, exam results, etc, and other stuff. So I pop around here at those hours, while I'm at it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2004-03-02 08:45 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Mar 2, 2004, 09:59 AM
Aside from gaming I:

- Work part time until more gainful oppertunities arise (or until the bills increase).

- Drink. Heavily. Usually at home, but at the bar ocassionally.

- Watch TV, usually History Channel, Tech TV, Discovery, Comedy Central, Adult Swim, and Spike.

- Mess around on the computer, posting on forums.

- Go paintballing with Blowguns.

- Go shooting my guns at the range.

- Hang out with family and friends.

- Do the ocassional hydrocodine, oxycontin, or mushroom.

- Travel. No reason.. just to get out and drive. Put 300 bucks in my wallet, spin a arrow to determine the direction, and just drive until my money is half gone. Then I turn around and come home.

I don't really have too many hobbies other than gaming. Gaming is my hobby - and it's an expensive one. Between work, friends, the bar, and the entertainment center - I don't really have a whole lot of time to do much else. I want to start caving as more of an actual hobby, but I'm afraid of heights. You really can't get much closer to the earth than under it.. but there are some pretty big cravases you can fall into in some of those caves, and it still kinda freaks me out having to cross them.

_Sinue_
Mar 2, 2004, 10:10 AM
Sports! Who doesn't like sports? - New Ultimate

I hate sports. I hate playing them, I hate watching them, I hate games about them. The only sport I can get into is UFC/Pride Fighting.. and that's just cause there's lots of blood and good punches/kicks being thrown. It's not really a sport though. Not offically anyhow.

Oh.. and I forgot to add Foozeball to the list of hobbies. It's not really a hobby of mine right now either - since I don't have the cash to blow on a $400 table. My cousin got an EXTREEMELY nice (better than the one at the bar) Foozeball table on clearance for like $140.. so I always get in a few games of that when I go over. Two on Two still messes me up cause I'm not that quick moving my hands and making sure my guys are in a good defensive position in my race to slam the ball into the other goal - but when I only have two paddles to man.. I can do a decent job. Can't really dribble the ball too well, but I'm starting to master the hook and bank shots which people have a hard time defending against.

PaleKid15
Mar 2, 2004, 01:20 PM
Not Gaming? What's that? Well, I can tell you other stuff I do while gaming. I find that my life resembles that of a stoner, to a disturbing degree. (without drugs though). I sit around, watch cartoons, eat Dorito's, and sleep alot. My idea of a well balanced meal is a Vanilla Coke and a Cambells Soup at hand (they are the same size an weight, oh shut up, you know it's funny). I avoid the sun and social events at all costs (trust me, my name fits). My lifestyle is pretty sad actually...

undevil
Mar 2, 2004, 06:10 PM
On 2004-03-02 10:20, PaleKid15 wrote:
Not Gaming? What's that? Well, I can tell you other stuff I do while gaming. I find that my life resembles that of a stoner, to a disturbing degree. (without drugs though). I sit around, watch cartoons, eat Dorito's, and sleep alot. My idea of a well balanced meal is a Vanilla Coke and a Cambells Soup at hand (they are the same size an weight, oh shut up, you know it's funny). I avoid the sun and social events at all costs (trust me, my name fits). My lifestyle is pretty sad actually...

LoL I don't even drink soda pop anymore. I either drink water, milk, or gatorade. Sometimes I will drink lemonade though. But I drink about 9-12 glasses of water a day, and then I have two glasses of milk for breakfast and either a glass for dinner or lemonade. And the gatorade is usually right before I go biking, or right before track.

But soda is bad for you. It isn't healthy, and it eats away at certain tissues in your body. It is also bad for your teeth. And it is especially bad for kids who do a lot of running or other physically demanding task such as swimming, ect. One time I had Mountain Dew before a Cross Country meet, and halfway threw my second mile I started puking.

Skett
Mar 2, 2004, 08:06 PM
Not gaming? I usually watch G4 on TV, post on PSOW and 1Up.com's forums, occasionally read a StarCraft or Tom Clancey book, lissen to music, watch my anime, think of new ways to reorganise my room to give more room (er, or something), or trying to think of more interesting events in my fics.

Kiara
Mar 2, 2004, 09:04 PM
The usual hangout for me and my crew outside of school is the mall. I'm your typical teenager with games as my guilty pleasure. When home I do my homework, then sometimes I might call up a friend and chat and read emails. I take my little sister to the park almost everyday for sisterly bonding.

BOC
Mar 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
when im not glued to my pc or xbox, i spend most of my time hanging out with my friends.

the usual stuff:
head to the arcade for a while (does that count as gaming?)
play a bit of football (yes football, don't call it soccer! and i play i hate watching. seriously why watch when its so much more fun to play?)
shoot a few games of pool (even though im shite at it.)
head to the cinema (if theres anything good on. if gaming is my main vice, movies are my second)
Chilling (just chilling, hanging out with the boys making humourous comments about stuff.)
taking the car for a spin (cruising down the road, metallica blarring outa the windows!)
drinking! (nothing like a few pints in the local and stumbling into the pizza place afterwards)
and music related shit. be that the boys jamming while i sit back and laugh or heading to a concert (offspring on the 14th!! YEAH!!)

when im not doing that, im eating, sleeping, shitting, posting here, doing the housework or 'been educated' in uni.

and thats the wonderful life of Boc summed up in 196 or less.

PEACE!!!

Marius
Mar 4, 2004, 06:36 PM
Work, game, eat,club,model,sleep,game,eat,listen to music,sleep, oh yea... did i for get to mention sleep and game?

Zeroy
Mar 4, 2004, 08:03 PM
On 2004-03-01 19:13, Firocket1690 wrote:

wake up at 7AM
shower, bathroom, etc
change and get ready for school
[insert school here]
come home from school 3:15
computer/music (used to be playing games, but now I can't, because mother ripped out electricity in my room.)
fall asleep...
wake up at about 10 PM
shower
finish homework
go to sleep

why do you right before bed and right after you get up? do you sleepwalk in the park or something? its not like you get dirty in bed...

not to sound rude or anything... i just dont get it @.@

by the way, if im not gaming im either:

-at school, doing homework, etc.
-sleeping, eating, staying alive
-at church

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-04 17:05 ]</font>

FOAtHeart
Mar 4, 2004, 08:22 PM
i:

1)wake up
2)shower
3)BREAKFAST (yum waffles)
4)school
5)get home at 4:00
6)computer 4:00-5:00
7)TV 5-6:30
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gifhomework (if any)
9)draw
10)PSO if i have time
11)SLEEP
12)repeat

quite plain, huh?

ABDUR101
Mar 4, 2004, 08:40 PM
Heh, I'll break down my day.

7-7:30am Get up for work
8:30am Arrive at work
3:30pm or as late as 5pm Get off work
5:30-5:45pm Get home
Once at home, depending on the weather, nothing but console or computer games, chatting, anime or Animal Planet/Sci-fi/Comedy Central.(Warmer weather I'll go outside with the black lab or do work around the house, long walks, outside with my nephews, etc)
Between 9pm and when I goto sleep, throw a shower in, as well as gaming, tv or computer related stuff.
12:30-1:30am Goto sleep

REPEAT

Thats a general run-down, times are subject to change. =o

Thepandaman
Mar 5, 2004, 05:29 PM
I spend quite a lot of time on the piano, and playing in bands and stuff with the bass. As well as that, I juggle, which I find warms my arms up after they have been in nearly the same position for ages at the computer. When not actually playing games on the computer, I compose random midi pieces on the computer (I have cakewalk), spend quite a while on this forum, and surf the net.

Slightly off topic, but with any luck soon I'll have two computer in my room, which I'm going to network to be able to play tons of network PC games with my friends, which will probably increase the amount of time I spend gaming.

Another point is that I don't own a decent console, so all my gaming is either round friend's houses (it's so much more fun being sociable at the same time while gaming), or on my computer.

Kent
Mar 5, 2004, 07:55 PM
Usually, I do a lot of things while playing games, like eating, talking on the phone, working out problems with people, watching TV and/or a movie, flirting with people (*gasp!*), cooking food, etc. I'm good at multitasking.

While I'm not playing a game, I'm usually booting up my computer, taking a shower, sleeping once every two days, posting on message boards, talking via ICQ or MSNM, fixing peoples' computers (my source of income), reading up on any random thing that may have piqued my interest at the moment, out with my friends doing whatever, buying more games, going into Office Depot/Radio Shack/Rothe and asking a complex computer engineering question to an employee then explaining how everything works and leave them in awe ( http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ), occasionally go fishing, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

I feel special.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2004-03-05 16:55 ]</font>

metermore
Mar 6, 2004, 01:32 AM
my day

1.wake up at 7:30
2.get ready/goto school
3.school 8:20 to 3:20
4.game till 4:30
5.homework
6.spainish home work that was due a month ago
7.fudd?frod? fund? food!
8.tv
9.solatire for 30 mins in bed
10.listen to tapes
11.sleep at 1:00am

Guile
Mar 6, 2004, 02:20 PM
Go drink, go out with friends, play poker, play a sport, graphic design, DJ, Paintball, sleep, sleep, other.

muff
Mar 6, 2004, 02:44 PM
See girlfriend, see friends, drink. In that order.

goku4ever
Mar 6, 2004, 03:01 PM
I watch tv, hang wiv friends, no w8 i play games wiv my m8s. k.. and i also work

BOmar
Mar 6, 2004, 03:56 PM
My day:

5:15am wake up, go training
7am come home from swimming & set off for school
1-2pm go home & play PSO
4pm leave for training
7pm get out from training and work as lifeguard
10pm go home & play PSO
11pm bed!

Alucard_Maverick
Mar 7, 2004, 12:02 AM
Wake up at 7pm, shower ,play the cube or box, go to work 10:30pm come home 6:30am watch a little tv, pass out, rinse repeat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alucard_Maverick on 2004-03-06 21:06 ]</font>

rhymmney
Mar 7, 2004, 11:32 AM
I'm a grown-up (sometimes, http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif) so I work full time. When I am not gaming I am usually trying to clean, look after kiddies, and spend time with friends. I also listen to music and read a lot. This post might take a different form if you had said what should you be doing when you are gaming...LOL. In that case, bills, cleaning, organizing, talking on phone, being active, etc. ha, ha, ha....

Daikarin
Mar 7, 2004, 12:05 PM
I recently go out rollerblading around town, something I couldn't do back in my homeland, which was damn hilly.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 22, 2004, 12:03 PM
Hey, sorry for not getting back to this topic for awhile, was trying to compile stuff and talk with the guys in my group about stuff for the webpage.

Some of the stuff you lot have said has been helpful, but im not sure if showering is a past time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Thanks to everyone whos replied, when we get something like a site up and running ill post the address so you lot can come check it out and see if you agree with some of the stuff weve put in.

SJ
Mar 22, 2004, 01:15 PM
School, T.V, P.C or music.
Oh Sleep and Eating too.