PDA

View Full Version : Drakengard

Chaos_Phoenix
Mar 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
Square-Enix's newest strategy game is one we've all hoped for. It has the graphics we expect from Square, and the gameplay we expect from Enix. But, not everyone likes strategy games. So, what is your favorite game genre?

_Sinue_
Mar 2, 2004, 09:40 AM
You don't have it listed.

My favorite genre is Adventure Games. By that, I don't mean the "New" Adventure games you see which are action oriented.. but I mean the old style PC Adventure games. Games that Lucas Arts, Virgin Interactive, and Sierra pioneered. Games such as King's Quest, Secret of Monkey Island, Siberia, Broken Sword, Beneith a Steel Sky, ect.

These Adventures have minimal, if any, action in them - and basically puzzle/item driven storylines. Take Resident Evil.. remove the monsters, the Guns, the Herbs, ect.. and leave just the item hunting, puzzles, and storyline.

Those are -REAL- Adventure games.

Outrider
Mar 2, 2004, 01:34 PM
Ah, the good ol' adventure games. Loved the Roger Wilco series. Though... I only have two of them, I think.

And I wish I could get the old Monkey Island games. I bought Escape, and loved it, but once it's done... there's not much left to it. Maybe I'll get it back from my cousin and install it on this computer. I've already beaten all my other old games...

_Sinue_
Mar 2, 2004, 02:04 PM
There are.. ways.. of getting the older adventure titles which are no longer being sold or supported by their parent companies. I won't go into it anymore than that.

*Ahem*

BTW: I have all of the Space Quest titles.. except for Spinal Frontier. That one, I think, is still being sold by Sierra - but I just haven't been able to track down a copy yet.

If you want, there's a fan-made game endoursed by the Two Guys from Andromeda (the designers) which is available free for download. Also, Josh Mandel (SQ5 & 6) is working with some fans on an unoffical Sqace Quest sequel that may be worth checking out.

Outrider
Mar 2, 2004, 05:39 PM
Really? You've definitely piqued my interest. About the fan stuff, that is. Though, didn't one of the two guys leave later on in the series?

I know we have SQ 1 and 5. I didn't beat 5, I don't think. I first played them when I played 4 at my uncle's house. Also played the King's Quest games, but never really played through any of them.

Wasn't there also a similar game involving a boy who goes underwater with a talking dolphin to prevent pollution or something? I wanna say it was called Sea Quest, but that was the name of that tv show from the 90s...

_Sinue_
Mar 3, 2004, 01:35 AM
Yup, it's called EcoQuest: Search or Cetus. I've still got a copy which hasn't been removed from the plastic sitting around here somewhere.

As far as Space Quest, yeah.. the two guys did break up. Actually, one of them got fired or moved on to a better job - outside of game development. It was originally Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe. Josh Mandell came in as a sort of silent "Third guy" which pretty much just helped with the brainstorming and a few of the jokes. After SQ5, Mark Crowe left Sierra and SQ6 was headded up by Murphy and Mandell.

If you want to check out the fan-stuff, I'll give you a few sites to check out.

Space Quest: The Lost Chapter Download (http://frostbytei.com/space/download.html)

The Unoffical Space Quest 7 (http://sq7.org/)
This one actually has Josh Mandell from SQ5 & 6 helping with development.

Also, if you have an interest in King's Quest at all, you might want to check out Tierra Entertianment's website (http://www.agdinteractive.com/). They just got finished with VGA remakes of KQ I & II (including voice support) and are more than half-way done with a QFGII VGA remake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-03-02 22:38 ]</font>

KaFKa
Mar 3, 2004, 01:46 AM
i like the strategy games, especially RTS like starcraft and the like.

but also, i cant help but play games like myst and ico, theyre fun when you're trying to figure out complex riddles and logic puzzles http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif