PDA

View Full Version : PSO in some form on the PSP?

kevlar_pso
Mar 2, 2004, 03:27 PM
Think about back when the PS2 1st came out. You remember that some of the specs were inferior to the Dreamcast? Well, from what I hear, the PSP is supposed to be an improvment over the PS2 in some respects. Maybe not all, or to an insignificant degree, but PSO on the PSP would be very inviting. Especially to those who are die hard PS2 owners and can not get PSO. If any1 knows the specs and wants to share them, wouldn't this be great if we could spread the PSO love to the largest possible new handheld device? PSO over bluetooth @work. . . . . over lunch period. . . . .during "study dates w/friends". . . . .

Mr_Special
Mar 2, 2004, 06:17 PM
IMO bad idea.

PSP has an estimated 4 hour battery life, similar to the Taco. if you're playing with a power adapter, then you're OK.

still, its not gonna happen - mainly because it wouldn't sell very good because of all the costs.
think about it... you have to pay for Blue Tooth, gotta pay an HL, the game, AND the price of the PSP which is about $450 USD. sounds more like a system for rich adults, rather than PSOs younger group.

BTW, you do know that the PSP has been delayed until 2005, right?

maybe that'll give sony enough time to cut down the price...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-02 15:18 ]</font>

Crystal_Shard
Mar 2, 2004, 06:46 PM
It's a promising idea, but has certain shortcomings.

1. Wouldn't Sega have attempted this on the GBA already? Bigger market,
tried and tested system, easy to code for... etc, etc. They won't just
toss it into an untested realm.

2.How many people here think the PSP would have online capability? If it doesn't,
then the PSO market gets split again. Not good. If it does have online, how will it
synchronise with the GC? The GC and Xbox have seperate servers already.

3. It'll be the most graphics poor of the bunch. Plus the PC version is coming out soon.

4. Finally, much like the GBA, it'll be close to impossible to find someone within
your region who has the exact same game, and the exact same amount of interest in
the game.

It's not impossible, but there's too many 'if' factors to think otherwise.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 2, 2004, 06:54 PM
I can see a version of Episode 3 for a portable system, but I honestly expect the PSP to fall into the same hole that the Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, WonderSwan, Tiger Game.com, Turbo Express, GamePark GP32, and Neo Geo Pocket Color all fell into. A couple of these portable game consoles had some really neat features (The Neo Geo Pocket Color, for example, had full backing of SNK, and therefore had some beautiful ports of SNK's arcade fighting games, the Nomad played Genesis games, the Game Gear and Lynx were both years ahead of their time in terms of graphics, and the Turbo Express had a HUGE library left over from the old PC Engine), but they each had one or two flaws (Well... In Game.com's case, the whole THING was flawed) that caused them to fall to the Game Boy like a Wile E. Coyote off the side of a cliff.

Personally, I think that regardless of what the PSP can do, even Sony's popularity in the industry won't be enough to topple the Game Boy. There's a few reasons for this, as follows--

Game Boy's popularity is far more firmly entrenched in the portable market than Sony's popularity is in the console market because it's been there since the early '90's.
Developers are loving the current GBA, because it gives them a chance to go back and work on the kinds of games they worked on in the glory days of the the Super Nintendo, Genesis and other 8 or 16-bit consoles.
There is no way in hell that Sony will be able to afford to release the PSP at a launch price that can compete with the Game Boy. It just won't happen. People won't pay two or three hundred dollars for a portable console, when they can get one with a library stretching from the early 90's to current times for only $80.
It runs a very high risk of being unusually bulky, which is one of the problems that killed the Lynx, Game Gear and Nomad.
3D graphics have traditionally not been involved in handhelds because they'd require large numbers of batteries and they'd suck 'em dry pretty darned quick.
If they intend to make it PlayStation-compatible, then we're going to be seeing something at LEAST as big as a CD player, which by itself indicates the bulkiness of this thing, but beyond that, indicates to me that we'll quickly see people complaining about how their games got all scratched up and their CD motor is dieing.

Well, those are MY thoughts on the PSP, at least.

Still, if they're going with something more similar to the GBA, they'll still be hurting because despite its age, the GBA is still a strong seller to begin with, and I will re-iterate that there's no way that Sony can price it competitively enough to defeat the Game Boy, which has already out-lived EVERY handheld ever made, even when it's been shown to have inherent flaws (like the original GBA's lack of a light to make the darned thing visible-- it STILL sold strongly).

So yeah, I don't think the PSP has a chance.

Outrider
Mar 2, 2004, 07:49 PM
Personally, I'd like to see Sega make some sort of non-online game for the GBA. Relate it to PSO, though. Like, make it the story of Rico and some other hunters before Ep 1. I first thought of this idea as some sort of downloadable content. Every month or so, they could release a new "dungeon." Essentially, just short levels played as just Rico (or Flowen, perhaps?) that would fill-in some background story. It could be real-time like Secret of Mana or just standard turn-based RPG stuff.

Just my thoughts, though. I can't really see a normal PSO game being on either portable system.

Crystal_Shard
Mar 2, 2004, 07:57 PM
Now that sounds like a good idea.

Wonder if Sonic Team ever played with that idea before.

Hmph.

kazuma56
Mar 2, 2004, 08:41 PM
Don't know about the PSP but it would be interesting if they made a PS game on it.

as for the PSP success thing, I think many will buy into it because it's a SONY product, it will be like the Matrix movies, after part 1 many others went to see the next to films even though they were so bad in comparsion to 1, it would be like the Sega/Nintendo war of old, then Sony intervenes and then they but both systems down in terms of sales and games.

Mr_Special
Mar 2, 2004, 08:42 PM
On 2004-03-02 15:54, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I can see a version of Episode 3 for a portable system, but I honestly expect the PSP to fall into the same hole that the Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, WonderSwan, Tiger Game.com, Turbo Express, GamePark GP32, and Neo Geo Pocket Color all fell into.

Don't forget the Ngage, A.K.A. Taco. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On 2004-03-02 16:49, Outrider wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Sega make some sort of non-online game for the GBA. Relate it to PSO, though. Like, make it the story of Rico and some other hunters before Ep 1.

Well, there sorta is; There's Shining Soul, which is a lot like PSO, only bad. I heard Shining Soul II is decent. and then there's Phantasy Star Collection, very nostalgic with a bit of PSO familiarity.

[edit] BTW, the ~$450 USD i mentioned is for the PSP alone, not including all the other things. O_o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-02 17:44 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Mar 2, 2004, 09:15 PM
Wow, that is a lot of Anti-Sony. I mean I can't stand Sony as much as the next guy, but come on ppls. Any ideas to throw out there of what could happen w/a PSO on the PSP? Where are the Sony owners. You can't tell me that ppl here only have either a GCN or an Xbox(actually I only have both). So where a re the ideas? Somebody has to have somethin upstairs that thinks this could happen. I try to be coherent but as tired as I am this is whatcha get. . . .

Mr_Special
Mar 2, 2004, 11:14 PM
well, since most rich, old people play mostly crummy sportsgames...

PSO GoGoBall only for the PSP!!

spend half an hour creating a cool looking character, and then get ready for the giant-ball-kicking time of your life! kick the ball into the nearly impossible to hit goal, and get an insignifigantly minor amount of bonus points and a virtual ice cream bar!

compete online* with other lag exploters just like you! all around the WORLD! (except for the majority which is poor and starving)

* Requires Blue Tooth adapter: only $59.99 USD, PSP online service: only 39.99 a year
and HL license fee, additional charges may apply for Keyboard and Voice chat services.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-02 20:15 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 3, 2004, 01:21 AM
On 2004-03-02 16:49, Outrider wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see Sega make some sort of non-online game for the GBA. Relate it to PSO, though. Like, make it the story of Rico and some other hunters before Ep 1.

Well, there sorta is; There's Shining Soul, which is a lot like PSO, only bad. I heard Shining Soul II is decent. and then there's Phantasy Star Collection, very nostalgic with a bit of PSO familiarity.

[/quote]

Eh... I was leaning more towards PSC when I first thought of this. I added in the "action-adventure" stuff just today when I typed it out.

Anywho, for a small, quick dungeon, would it really be that unreasonable to have it downloaded to the GBA like the other GBA mini games? Then possibly load the data off your GCN memory card? I dunno if this would work or not, but I'd love to see it.

Sha_Hua
Mar 3, 2004, 06:48 AM
The younger generation is playing PSO? I always thaught it was played by the veterans, does this mean I'm playing the wrong game? /*starts searching for MMO's for veterans on google*/

I'm not for PSO on PSP, But if they do it I can imagine it will get big, real big.
There's nothing wrong with Nintendo (don't tell SEGA I said that), but Sony's marketing is much better.
Also the controls on the PSP are better for PSO.
So it's a good idea, I'm just not for it. /*starts looking up prices for when opinion changes*/

Mr_Special
Mar 3, 2004, 11:03 AM
On 2004-03-03 03:48, Sha_Hua wrote:
The younger generation is playing PSO? I always thaught it was played by the veterans, does this mean I'm playing the wrong game? /*starts searching for MMO's for veterans on google*/

I'm not for PSO on PSP, But if they do it I can imagine it will get big, real big.
There's nothing wrong with Nintendo (don't tell SEGA I said that), but Sony's marketing is much better.
Also the controls on the PSP are better for PSO.
So it's a good idea, I'm just not for it. /*starts looking up prices for when opinion changes*/

well, most people online are pretty damn immature, i'd say most of them are 12-16 yrs old.

either that or PSO is a game with a very high population of "mentally challenged" ppl :/

kevlar_pso
Mar 3, 2004, 04:36 PM
You need to play when all the kiddies are in school. Well, the anoyin kiddies that is. Some kids are cool, others are retarded. I'm sure you notice the surge in ppls online just by checking the ships player count total. This is mainly thnx to the younger crowd gettin off the bus.

Back to the subject thread. Any1 plannin on gettin a PSP? If so would you get PSO if it was on it? I have too many systems as it is. DC(well, kinda counts even tho it's broke), GCN, Xbox, GBA, PC, Snake on my cell phone lol. So I don't think I could justify to my significant other another system.

Mr_Special
Mar 3, 2004, 05:36 PM
not a snowballs chance in hell am i gonna get a PSP!
at least not with the current price.

$450 USD? come on! i could get another new computer with that much money.

Sony's plan is obviously to make all "gamers" (or "Fanboys" as i would call any person willing to fork over $450) too poor to afford any other system.

anybody who buys a PSP deserves to be smacked repeatedly with a troud, until gold coins or sonic rings fly out of them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr_Special on 2004-03-03 14:39 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Mar 7, 2004, 01:29 AM
Another thing you hafta consider is that the PSP is not just goin to be marketed to the gamer alone. With all the other features that the PSP will have, it will attract those consumers as well. Besides, who knows, the PSP could be given a slight tech edge over the PS2 @the last minute. Like as perhaps anti-aliasing. Who knows, we'll hafta wait til E3.

Mr_Special
Mar 7, 2004, 03:47 PM
yeah, but you can do so much more with a PC at the same price. the only thing a PSP can do that a PC can't do, is be portable for 4 hours.

well, who knows, maybe Sony might do something smart, like make it possible to develop software/games for the PSP [GASP!]

i just don't think the PSP will sell very well @ $450 USD...

kevlar_pso
Mar 8, 2004, 03:24 AM
Obviously, the PSP won't stay @$450 for very long if it even launches @the high end of the $300-$450 range. You're gonna be able to have connectivity between your PS2, PSP, PC and PSX. Any1 w/a creative bone in their body can see the possibilities here. I know I spelled that wrong. You could have your Phantasy Star 1 in you PS2 and have your PSP w/PSO. They will communicate and you could unlock new quests, items, branching story lines ect ect. There are a lot of possibilities here. Some1 post and tell me how to spell it. I won't call you anal I promise.

Outrider
Mar 8, 2004, 10:24 AM
There's just no point to making it on PSP, though. It makes no sense from a marketing point of view, and even if the PSP does have a single feature that the PS2 doesn't, such as built-in anti-aliasing, that doesn't make it a superior system by far. The game was never meant to be on a handheld, and it would be far too iffy to put it on one without an installed user base. It's much more likely for ST to put a PSO game on Sony's main console, but even that isn't so likely at the moment.

anwserman
Mar 8, 2004, 01:07 PM
On 2004-03-08 00:24, kevlar_pso wrote:
Obviously, the PSP won't stay @$450 for very long if it even launches @the high end of the $300-$450 range. You're gonna be able to have connectivity between your PS2, PSP, PC and PSX. Any1 w/a creative bone in their body can see the possibilities here. I know I spelled that wrong. You could have your Phantasy Star 1 in you PS2 and have your PSP w/PSO. They will communicate and you could unlock new quests, items, branching story lines ect ect. There are a lot of possibilities here. Some1 post and tell me how to spell it. I won't call you anal I promise.

Yes, there are a lot of possibilities, but that also relies on the fact that people will buy into that gimmick. Oh, connectivity! Nintendo has been trying to promote GC/GBA connectivity really, and most attempts have bombed so far, with FF:CC being the exception (though, you might NEED a GBA to play the game in certain modes, which is kinda sad.)

Sony should look at Nintendo's mistake, get rid of the connetivity and use the money saved from the development of such a waste like connectivity and use it to reduce the price of the system.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 8, 2004, 01:10 PM
On 2004-03-02 17:42, Mr_Special wrote:
Don't forget the Ngage, A.K.A. Taco. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, I didn't feel the need to include crappy, overpriced cell phones in the list.

kevlar_pso
Mar 9, 2004, 03:12 PM
Too bad some1 else didn't make this post. That way I could talk about Sony and get my hate on! ha Seriously tho, I do not like Sony products. Not that this will ever happen tho. I think I'll let this topic die now.