PDA

View Full Version : Error no.15

phantasy_king
Mar 2, 2004, 04:15 PM
ok I went on and got onto the sega website using my gamecube, I have a pc running xp and a freeserve dsl conncetion, So yeah I got my 30 day free hunters license and did all the network settings, I left everything as default, im using ICS between my pc and gamecube, I then went back to the game, went to online and put in my serial number and access key and password, I then went to register and I got back error no 15 connection attempt failed, failed to retrieve IP address from dhcp, it worked with segas homepage, how comes I cant get online?
And by the way im not using a router, I also went into tools then connection, then lan settings and I have proxy turned off, I think that I may have set something up wrong when I did my network connection. But still how did I get onto the sega homepage?
When I try and connect as well on my pc it says a network cable has been unplugged, am i using the wrong cable? and also who do i turn off the xp firewall as I havent done it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-02 13:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-02 13:22 ]</font>

Rich_T
Mar 2, 2004, 05:28 PM
set up your cub as follows:
everything on automatic.

If you get the double monitor symbol near the clock, then your P.C is set up with ICS.
if you get a message on your P.C saying local area conection conected when you switch on your gamecube then everything should be working.

Next, right click on your freeserve conection, find the bit about the windows XP firewall and turn it off, it wont allo you to use ICS and PSO properly.
you can downlaod a free firewall that should work OK called zonealarm, i used it with freeserve + win XP +ICS+Gamecube PSO.

phantasy_king
Mar 2, 2004, 05:34 PM
Would it matter if I have norton internet security on my computer as that also has a fire wall on it, or is it just xps firewall that stops ICS workin properly?

Whenever I go to online i always get a message saying that a network wire is disconnected and thats what kills it,then after that second it says its connected again, on the box for the wire it said crossover at the top and patch lower down, patch type cables dont work with ics do they?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-02 15:32 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Mar 2, 2004, 07:40 PM
On 2004-03-02 14:34, phantasy_king wrote:
Would it matter if I have norton internet security on my computer as that also has a fire wall on it, or is it just xps firewall that stops ICS workin properly?

Whenever I go to online i always get a message saying that a network wire is disconnected and thats what kills it,then after that second it says its connected again, on the box for the wire it said crossover at the top and patch lower down, patch type cables dont work with ics do they?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-02 15:32 ]</font>

Yeah they do, in fact you have to use a patch cable to use ICS. Having Nortons running won't make a difference. I have used ICS to play PSO when I was looking at packets and I have NAV installed also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-02 16:42 ]</font>

phantasy_king
Mar 3, 2004, 06:22 AM
Yeah but I have internet security norton and that has its own firewall that blocks internet traffic, could it be blocking pso?
Also now when I turn my cube on it dosent say they are connected, also I now cant even get onto segas homepage! have I changed something and now everything just isnt working? I messed around with a lot of settings trying to get it to work and now the pc isnt detecting when the cube is on, this is a nightmare!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-03 04:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-03 04:50 ]</font>

Rich_T
Mar 3, 2004, 01:50 PM
you might have disabled your network card, you should see it in my network places, if not try to get it back up by making a new conection.
As for the firewall, theres another firewall on Windows XP, and if your P.c is up to date with M$ updates then sometimes it may be turned on by default, right click on your modem, then turn it off.

phantasy_king
Mar 3, 2004, 04:44 PM
Erm yeah, I went into my modem settings and I turned that firewall off a while ago, im gonna have to work out what I did to the network stuff to get it working again.
Ok I just managed to reconnect my gamecube and my pc, i messed around with the network stuff and i can now get back onto the sega homepage through the cube, yesterday when I registered on this though it said I had 30 free days to play online, now its asking me to pay money to play, whats going on?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phantasy_king on 2004-03-03 14:30 ]</font>

Rich_T
Mar 3, 2004, 05:35 PM
have you tried using the system restore function in windows XP (start > all programs > accesories > system tools > system restore ) if you have system restore up and runing it will un-do anything youve done to mess up your P.C ( it will also un install any programs added since the last restore point, but it wont delete anyfiles downlaoded)

phantasy_king
Mar 3, 2004, 05:49 PM
Well I got the network working again, I was just looking in my modem settings, In the internet protcol bit(TCP/IP) I have the settings as obtain an ip address automatically and obtain dns server address automatically, I dont really want to clear all of the programs that I have recently put on as I only just really installed my modem software and stuff, are those modem settings correct do you think?
Also it still does that thing where it says the network cable has been disconnected for a second then its reconnected as im trying to get online.

Rich_T
Mar 3, 2004, 05:57 PM
try this, switch on the gamecube, it should say local area conection conected, if after a while it sudenly says cable unplugged then it sudenly says conected again try this

with everything conected and gamecube switched on so it says local area conection conected:

take the cable in your hand and give it a shake, if the message comes up when your shaking the cable then yove got a dodgy electrical conecion, do this to the cable on both the P.C side and the gamecube side.
if you get the disconected message by doing this, have a close look at the network cable, they are usualy clear at the plugs, so look for any badly conected wires inside.

phantasy_king
Mar 3, 2004, 06:17 PM
I shook both ends quite hard and it said that it was still connected so it cant be the wire, when I create the network bridge on the last page of the wizard it shows some settings, First it says ICS enabled, the after that it says ICF (internet connection firewall) enabled, could it ICF thats stopping it from working, I havent seen a way of disabling it when creating the network bridge. Also I clicked on the local area connection, then I went to repair and I got this message: TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection, cannot procede. This is all really confusing!

Rich_T
Mar 4, 2004, 12:37 PM
if its the windows Internet conection firewall that will stop ICS from working properly.

phantasy_king
Mar 4, 2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah so basically whenever I create a new network bridge on my computer it always turns internet connection firewall on, I cant turn it off in the properties of the bridge, I can only turn off icf in the modems settings. Very stupid, also all of microsofts faqs on how to setup ics have all been deleted on their support page, wonder whats goin on there?

VioletSkye
Mar 4, 2004, 01:39 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310816

Rich_T
Mar 4, 2004, 02:08 PM
Even when youve got ICS up and running, it might still have the odd dropout, an ADSL router ( with built in modem) would be the best long term solution for your problems, i got one for £58 although they can now be had for as little as £40
just make sure that its a combined router/modem and not just a plain router.

phantasy_king
Mar 4, 2004, 02:34 PM
yeah, I did have a combined router/modem but it wasnt compatable with freeserves broadband, I will probably have to get one because I have no idea what is wrong with this, Thanks for all your help by the way Rich_T! Shame I couldnt get it workin.

Rich_T
Mar 4, 2004, 06:19 PM
when did you last try it?
ive just got back from the pub, although i will post my router/modem setting s for freese

rve tomorow when im felinfa bit mope sobre

phantasy_king
Mar 5, 2004, 12:50 PM
On 2004-03-04 15:19, Rich_T wrote:
when did you last try it?
ive just got back from the pub, although i will post my router/modem setting s for freese

rve tomorow when im felinfa bit mope sobre

Lol, last time I tried it was yesterday.

Rich_T
Mar 5, 2004, 12:54 PM
i posted this somewhere else i think i meant to put it here:

I use an alcatel speedtouch5 combined modem and router, to get to its configuration screen i have to type in http://10.0.0.138 into the web browser, although this only brings up a basic configuration setup and i can not make any adjustments to ports or the firewall.

the basic set up is this:

Region: UK

Provider: All

Service Name: Dynamic Address

Service Description: PPPoA, UK Settings, NAPT, DHCP, DNS

As for the firewall, if i want to change anyhting i have to use telnet and that looks like this:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/mybasicuploadsite/telnetconfig.JPG

Aceizace
Mar 5, 2004, 09:11 PM
I have the same problem getting ICS to work with AOL. The exact same thing, i can connect to the homepage, but i often get the 15 error when i try and connect with 'online game'.

First of all, i reccomend you put your cube next to your computer, you'll need to fiddle around with both to get it to work.

Next, look at my 2nd post on this (3rd one down in total).
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=76934&forum=3&9
I mentioned all the things i sometimes have to do to get it to work. The main one to try would be going on 'settings' on the sharing page, and ticking all the boxes. Hopfully your connection doesn't disapear from the folder when you sign on next time, like mine does. This basicly means that even if i do get it to work, i have to do it again every time i want to get on! Gah!!

Don't give up, that's what i did. I spent literaly hours fiddling with settings to get it to work. It's really not worth it, i wish i could afford a router!

Good luck.

VioletSkye
Mar 5, 2004, 11:56 PM
Thats because ICS sux with AOL. He doesn't have AOL so that will make a HUGE difference. I have used ICS frequently with PSO when capturing packets and have had no problems whatsoever (in fact its a breeze to set up.)

However, it would still be better to get the game running through the router and hopefully that will happen. Try shutting down any firewalls (temporarily anyway) in the modem/router, as Rich suggested and also in XP. If the router detects the GC then it may be a packety issue. As I mentioned in another thread PPPOA handles packets a little differently which makes some online games a bitch to run.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-05 20:57 ]</font>

Rich_T
Mar 6, 2004, 07:04 AM
ICS works fine with Freeserve ADSL and PSO, ive used it before with no problems.
Freeserve suply a basic USB modem for the ADSL conection, and since the ADSL service launched theyve suplied three types of modem in this order:

Alcatel Speedouch USB ( green frog )
Copperjet modem
Alcatel Speedtouch US ( green frog)
Speedtouch 330 USB

the copperjst modems caused all sorts of problems, and as a result freeserve discontinued issuing them, if you have a copperjet modem this could be your problem.

phantasy_king
Mar 6, 2004, 07:52 AM
I have this modem I beleive:
Alcatel Speedtouch US ( green frog)
Speedtouch 330 USB

Its really annoying, I may have to get my cousin to help me, hes decent with computers, how would it be easier if I bought a adsl modem/router? I know where I can get one for about £50, I just want to make sure that if I do spend all that money it will have a high chance of working.