PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Name Origins

DolmolmKing
Mar 2, 2004, 08:12 PM
I found out the origins of some rare weapon names, just if you are interested. . .

A zanba is a korean or japanese (or both, I can't remember) type of sword meant to kill horses on the battle field.

Kaladbolg is an Irish sword meaning Hard-belly in gaelic and it is said to cut through any-thing.

Durandal is some holy sword said to be unbreakable.

Elysion is the name of Alis's sword from Phantasy Star 1, I think.

Berdysh are old middle-eastern polearms

Plantain fan is a legendary chinese? fan that will make a gust of wind waved once, a rainstrom twice, and a monsoon if waved 3 times. (gotten from a manga)

Heart of Poumn - according to Mike Ripp's website, Poumn, as in Mutt ditts poumn represents the planet Palma from the earlier phantasy stary games.

http://www.camineet.net/ - Mike Ripp's website.

Monkey King Bar - chinese legendary staff that change length (like in Dragonball)

Laconium I think is a metal from earlier phantasy stars.

the caduceus is the name of the medical symbol

the prophets of motav might relate to the planet Mota in earlier Phantasy Stars, and Mutt in the Ruins incantation.

And hitogata are paper dolls

if you know anymore origins, be sure to tell me!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DolmolmKing on 2004-03-02 17:20 ]</font>

Cc08
Mar 2, 2004, 08:13 PM
Wow, good research

Jason
Mar 2, 2004, 08:15 PM
I did find those interesting. Oh, in the GBA game of Fire Emblem there's this real strong sword called Durandal but its very different from the one of PSO.

Crystal_Shard
Mar 2, 2004, 08:33 PM
Elysion is the name of Alis's sword from Phantasy Star 1, I think.

Elsydeon is the english name. Alis's Sword was actually a powerful Laconium Sword if I remember correctly.
Also, Elysion is the name of paradise in some ancient language. (Can't remember which.)

Monkey King Bar - chinese legendary staff that change length (like in Dragonball)

The Monkey king Bar is a weapon from an old chinese tale called Journey to the West.
There's an anime based around this legend name Gensomaden Sayuki. Anyway, one
of the characters is supposed to be the god of monkeys and has a unique staff
that extends to any length at will. And yes, the original, the DBZ, and the
Sayuki one all share the same name. Son Goku.

Laconium I think is a metal from earlier phantasy stars.

Laconium is THE metal from Phantasy Star. All powerful weapons have been made from it,
and the Elsydeon was once a Laconium Sword itself. Only produced on Dezolis though.

Zeroy
Mar 2, 2004, 08:34 PM
On 2004-03-02 17:15, Jason wrote:
I did find those interesting. Oh, in the GBA game of Fire Emblem there's this real strong sword called Durandal but its very different from the one of PSO.

but its basicly the same sword, just different graphic. the Fire Emblem Durandal is only usable by Lord Eliwood, remember. its still the "Knight's Blade" or the "Sword of Blaze" as Fire Emblem calls it. the Durandal appears alot in myths and phantasys (yep, i spelt it with a 'ph') as the ultimate sword, that and the Excalibur (with isnt in PSO, sadly)

i still perfer Lyn with the Sol Katti

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-02 17:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-02 17:35 ]</font>

DolmolmKing
Mar 2, 2004, 08:38 PM
I've got some more. . .

a Panzer faust is a WWII weapon favored by the germans. It is an rpg shooter, RPG meaning Rocket propelled grenade. Basically made to kill tanks. Panzer means tank and faust means fist in german.

Update: Yamigarasu is a cursed bird, its a good name for a cursed sword.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DolmolmKing on 2004-03-02 18:04 ]</font>

Hrith
Mar 2, 2004, 09:09 PM
Musashi and Yamato were japanese blacksmiths, also warships during WWII

Kamui is the equivalent of the katana for ninjas, only nobles were allowed to wield katanas. Ninjas were mainly lowly thieves, and the short length suited them better, also.

Savitri is a Buddhist religious figure (not sure, maybe Hindouist).

Yamigarasu means "dark raven".

Durandal is another name for Excalibur.

Heathcliff is the main character from Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.

nobody knows where the "knack" is from http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2004-03-03 01:19 ]</font>

lain2k3
Mar 2, 2004, 09:29 PM
The tsumikiri J sword is closer to the design of what Zanba should look like, those sword were used in ambushes. People would hide in forests and jump out at caravans. the huge blade could take out horse and rider with one swing.

Firocket1690
Mar 2, 2004, 09:30 PM
Ancient Saber looks like it was taken from the old Zelda games. Hence it's name, Ancient Saber. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

neo9376
Mar 2, 2004, 09:31 PM
On 2004-03-02 18:09, Kef wrote:
Musashi were japanese blacksmiths, also warships during WWII

Kamui is the equivalent of the katana for ninjas, only nobles were allowed to wield katanas. Ninjas were mainly lowly thieves, and the short length suited them better, also.

Savitri is a Buddhist religious figure (not sure, maybe Hindouist).

Yamigarasu means "dark raven".

Durandal is another name for Excalibur.

Heathcliff is the main character from Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.

nobody knows where the "knack" is from http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Are you sure about the musashi one cause there's a restaurant near my house that's called musashi

lain2k3
Mar 2, 2004, 09:34 PM
Musashi and Yamato were both samurai masters in Feudal Japan. I beleive Yamato killed Musashi in a duel, too.

Tsudo_Plat
Mar 2, 2004, 10:07 PM
Nei's Claw, comes from Nei from PS series.

Rico's Earring comes from Red Ring Rico.

Rico's Glasses comes from Red Ring Rico.

Delsaber's Buster comes from an enemy in Phantasy Star Online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (those are supposed to be obvious)

Rika's Claw, wasn't there an android that joined the party in one of the PS games? Ive only played 2 & 4 and all I can remember is Demi & Wren. So not sure about this one.

LoreSeeker
Mar 2, 2004, 10:35 PM

LOL!!! I've always wondered about that myself... I kinda want the knack, Bernie is a badass because of it, opening messed up doors and whatnot.

Eihwaz
Mar 2, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hmm, Yamato killing Musashi would make sense...Yamato is statistically better than Musashi.

A lot of Mag names are the names of paegan gods...like Rati is the Hindi (I think) god of...sexuality.

...I'm not surprised. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Also, the Sealed-J Sword and TJS are based on old-fashioned, 2-handed katanas.

Firocket1690
Mar 2, 2004, 11:53 PM
On 2004-03-02 19:43, Eihwaz wrote:
A lot of Mag names are the names of paegan gods...like Rati is the Hindi (I think) god of...sexuality.

Not too long ago, Ian-kunX wrote something along the lines of:
Sex appeal.
and that explains the Rati thread thing ...
OMG !! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW !!
>.<
Not. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Soukosa
Mar 3, 2004, 12:15 AM
The 3 9 star wands: Agni, Dagon, and Indra are all gods from a culture that I can't remember. Basicly, god of fire, something with water, and lightning or something along those lines.

Crystal_Shard
Mar 3, 2004, 01:02 AM
Rika is the US version's name for Fals, also known as the second Numan(Newman)
created by Seed.

She appeared in Phantasy Star IV but she never actually used that claw.
Rather, the Claw is from a promo image of Fals, Rudy(Chaz) and Forren(Wren).
For some reason, Fals wielded this claw in her right hand in the image.

IceBurner
Mar 3, 2004, 02:08 AM
The plantain fan is known as the "banshou fan" (sp?) in Dragon Ball and looks EXACTLY the same as it does in PSO.

Also, though the "Ano" rifle has a unique name AFAIK, it looks almost exactly like a Zaku II's machine gun from Mobile Suit Gundam. Its description "This rifle was used as the military android's primary weapon in a certain country." is a joke alluding to the weapon's origin.

Furthermore, I'd just like to point out that the saber type weapons much more closely resemble a Gundam-style beam saber than they do a Star Wars lightsaber. Remember that this is a Japanese game. ^-^

Jack
Mar 3, 2004, 04:42 AM
To be more precise, alternate universe beam sabers. Universal Century ones are a lot thinner and straighter.

The Partisan of Lightning is identical to the double bladed beam naginta used by Char Aznable's custom Gelgoog. Given the lightning speed of Char's Gelgoog, it doesn't surprise me that it's the Partisan of "Lightning".

Zeroy
Mar 3, 2004, 08:05 AM
On 2004-03-02 19:35, LoreSeeker wrote:

LOL!!! I've always wondered about that myself... I kinda want the knack, Bernie is a badass because of it, opening messed up doors and whatnot.

Sue has the "knack" too, dont forget http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smilejap.gif

IceBurner
Mar 3, 2004, 02:25 PM
Can't believe I didn't recognize Partisan of Lightning for what it was, I want it all the more now. You're indeed right about it being the Gelgoon's beam naginiata ... now if only its special allowed me to twirl it to de/reflect affects ^_^

On items with Algo planet names, I find it a little odd that they use Heart of Poumn (Muut, Diits, Poumn), but Prophets of Motav (Motavia, Dezolis, Palma). At any rate, Motavia, and Palma both have something in PSO named after them, I wonder why Dezolis was left out in the cold with Ryukross :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IceBurner on 2004-03-03 11:47 ]</font>

haruna
Mar 4, 2004, 01:07 PM
>A zanba is a korean or japanese (or both, I can't >remember) type of sword meant to kill horses on the >battle field.
I believe this is Chinese. The Zanba was actually a lance similar to the kwon-dao(curved blade) but the zanba has a straight blade. The purpose was to kill both horse and rider in battle.

>Monkey King Bar - chinese legendary staff that >change length (like in Dragonball)
The original story is "Go West" where Son Goku, a monkey with incredible mystic powers must journey along the silk road retriving holy Buddist scriptures.

>Laconium I think is a metal from earlier phantasy >stars.
Correct and it kicked arse too. Laconium was a rare, highly treasured substance, unlike now. REALLY nutcake fans might recall that Alys traded Myau for her Lanconian Vase/Pot.

>the prophets of motav might relate to the planet >Mota in earlier Phantasy Stars
Phantasy Star IV takes place in Motavia.

>Gae Bolg. Alternate spelling, Gae Bulga.
"The stories about Cúchulainn and his exploits and endeavours are extraordinary. He was famous for his strength and courage. He was said to have had the 'Gae Bulga', the spear of Bulga. Bulga was the God of lightning. This spear was similar to a modern-day javelin. Anybody who had 'Gae Bulga' was strengthened in battle. " It is argued that the Gae Bulga is the Celt equivilant of Excalibur.

The Gods Shields have the 4 Gods from Chinese mythology: Byakko-white tiger, Seiryuu-blue dragon, Genbu-Black Turtle, Suzaku-Red Phoenix.

Yamato-The original name for "Japanese" people a long time ago.

Vjaya-Thunder Sword of the Hindu God, "Indra."

More on the Durandal: The sword of Roland in the Middle Ages epic poem Song of Roland. It was forged by faeries (elves) and was able to cut men in half easily. It was also unbreakable."

A bit on the "Orochi" part of the Orochi-Agito:
Japan: Yamato no Orochi
Otherwise just known as Orochi, this beast bears a striking resemblance to the Greek Hydra. An eight-headed, eight tailed monster, it was killed by the storm god Susanoo during his temporary banishment on earth. He placed eight tubs of rice wine on eight platforms, surrounded with a fence with eight openings. As Orochi drank the wine, it soon fell asleep, and was killed by Susanoo during its drunken slumber. In one of its tails, he found the famous sword Kusanagi, or Grass-Cutter.

Kamui-Ainu god of creation.

Yamigarasu-Also known as Yamikarasu, or the dark crow.

Yasha-A vampire-bat from Japanese mythology. It is
believed that it is the spirit of a woman whose anger
lowered her status in rebirth.

Gungnir-This was Odin's spear. One version of its origin was that it was made from a branch of Yggdrasil(tree of life.) This is just a standard weapon.

haruna
Mar 4, 2004, 01:11 PM
On 2004-03-02 18:34, lain2k3 wrote:
Musashi and Yamato were both samurai masters in Feudal Japan. I beleive Yamato killed Musashi in a duel, too.

Musashi was undefeated. There's only ONE person who came close and he was a monk using a hexagonal staff of a strage size.

Read Miyamoto Musashi's "Book of 5 Rings."

Caecilius
Mar 4, 2004, 01:24 PM
As a nod to the first post (I'm surprised nobody commented on this) Caduceus was the staff of the Roman god Mercury. To my knowledge it wasn't a medical symbol.

(If you're wondering why I didn't quote that post directly, I just couldn't be arsed.)

On a relatively off-topic note, I saw a delivery van for a company called Yamato the other day.
Coincidence? I think not!