PDA

View Full Version : GC: Is there a way to backup Pso chars from a mc 251?

Who-sent-y0u
Mar 3, 2004, 10:07 PM
well like the titles says is there a way to backup my ep1 and 2 chars from a memory card 251?

Dhylec
Mar 4, 2004, 12:43 AM
normally.. no, you can't back it up
the usb card is another story..
ppl will always try to find ways around it someway somehow..

VioletSkye
Mar 4, 2004, 02:00 AM
On 2004-03-03 19:07, Who-sent-y0u wrote:
well like the titles says is there a way to backup my ep1 and 2 chars from a memory card 251?

no you can't. The USB card won't work with it and the current memory card saving programs don't support 3rd party cards and even if they did it wouldn't work because PSO uses the format ID of the original card. If you transferred to another card it would corrupt your info because the format idof the new card won't match.

Who-sent-y0u
Mar 4, 2004, 09:51 AM
wait there are memory card saveing programs? my memory card is a first party nintendo...i cant use those programs u spoke of?

Cap_Canuk
Mar 4, 2004, 11:31 AM
<sigh>
if ST had insterted a secure way of backing up your character from the start, a lot of the cheating problems would have been resolved, and we'd have less trouble with corrupted game data.
as it is, when a player uses a USB memory card, it's a question of honour whether or not they will cheat.

VioletSkye
Mar 4, 2004, 12:48 PM
On 2004-03-04 06:51, Who-sent-y0u wrote:
wait there are memory card saveing programs? my memory card is a first party nintendo...i cant use those programs u spoke of?

you can use them, but not for PSO. Also you have to have the BBA.

Aceizace
Mar 8, 2004, 10:48 AM

Let me explain in less technical terms what violetskye was trying to say. Lets pretend that your first memory card had an id of '100'. The PSO data has this stored. If you try and save your data via USB card and then transferred to to another memory card, the id on the PSO data wouldn't match the id of the card, so it wouldn't work. Right violet?

If that was the case, would you be able to save the PSO data to your computer via the usb card, then transfer it back to the same card if you corrupted? Just out of intrest here, i don't have a usb card or a desire to backup my char.

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 12:46 PM
On 2004-03-08 07:48, Aceizace wrote:

Let me explain in less technical terms what violetskye was trying to say. Lets pretend that your first memory card had an id of '100'. The PSO data has this stored. If you try and save your data via USB card and then transferred to to another memory card, the id on the PSO data wouldn't match the id of the card, so it wouldn't work. Right violet?

If that was the case, would you be able to save the PSO data to your computer via the usb card, then transfer it back to the same card if you corrupted? Just out of intrest here, i don't have a usb card or a desire to backup my char.

Yes, in fact that's the lure of owning a USB card. If you remember to make backups of the character file from time to time, you can restore that character file back to the USB card in case of corruption. However there are a few steps you need to take before going online with it because the servers will recognize that the save file was rewritten. It will then delete all your items, remove any stats from materials that were used and erase any c mode info you have stored on that char (the only thing it leaves intact is your character's level. Therefore, before you go online with your char, you need to pass the items to another char to hold for safekeeping. Then go online and let the servers do their thing, then you can freely load back all the items from the holding char. If you kept track of the mats your char used, you can dupe that exact amount and reuse them (of course this depends on your view of duping.) Then you can go online again with no worries. I would recommend saving the newly restored char back onto your pc as well.

The other program (that saves memory card files to pc) uses the exact same format to save the files as the USB, which is in .gci format. It works great with other games, just not PSO. But then most other games don't corrupt so you normally wouldn't be in fear of losing that info anyway lol. It is useful however for transferring files to another card that you normally would not be able to transfer using the GC.

anwserman
Mar 8, 2004, 01:00 PM
Wait, does the game or server recognize the save file was rewritten? Wouldn't going offline and playing a couple games fix that problem, or does the server still recognize that it was rewritten by something other then PSO?

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 01:55 PM
On 2004-03-08 10:00, anwserman wrote:
Wait, does the game or server recognize the save file was rewritten? Wouldn't going offline and playing a couple games fix that problem, or does the server still recognize that it was rewritten by something other then PSO?

Won't matter, the server will still detect it and erase the items, mats and c mode info.