PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur: The Movie

Chaos_Phoenix
Mar 4, 2004, 06:32 PM
So, I was surfin CodeJunkies.com, when I came upon this:

The Hollywood Reporter, er, reports that American Pie and Final Destination producer Warren Zide has acquired the film rights to Namco's Soul Calibur beat-'em-up series, which coincidentally just won a BAFTA for the second game's introductory movie.
Zide will reportedly release the film under his Sony-based production company Anthem Pictures, with Matthew Rhodes and Noel Vega on production and Jesse Warshal overseeing it at Anthem. Yeah... We have no idea who these people are, but we know they haven't set a target date for the movie as yet.
Although it sounds like the film is very much at the 'throw money at the name' stage of proceedings, it's more than likely that the film will take elements from the game's plot (cue widespread gasps of "Wait, it had a plot!?") which focused on the fate of the almighty Soul Edge. We're obviously hoping for ridiculously vicious and well-shot fight scenes full of recognisable techniques and splattered gore. We're also praying that it doesn't 'do a Street Fighter' and reason something like "well there's a character in it called Dhalsim so lets turn him into some sort of goddamn mad scientist". You may not take any liberties with our beloved Soul Calibur, Mr. Zide. We've suffered enough in the past.
In a way though, there is some call to be happy about Zide's acquisition of the rights to one of the finest beat-'em-up series of the last decade. Because if Zide hadn't, then professional film rights aggregator and House of the Dead mis-director Uwe Boll surely would have sooner or later. Shudder.

So, I wanna know what you all think of this. Does it sound cool, or just lame?

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 4, 2004, 06:54 PM
I fail to see how an entertaining movie can come of this. I mean really. The plot of the games themselves is rather uninspiring to begin with, and quite frankly, if they're going to take something that loosely put together and make a movie from it, then they'd better bring in the guys responsible for Pirates of the Carribean, because I don't think there's anyone else on the PLANET that can take something so boring and make it clever.

On the other hand, maybe the movie can do the impossible, and explain how someone can get crammed into the ground with the largest sharp piece of metal known to man, then stomped on, and still be able to get up like nothing happened. Damn, that sort of thing has always frustrated me about those games... This is precisely why I dislike them so much.

Outrider
Mar 4, 2004, 06:55 PM
I'm fairly sure that's the same guy who bought the rights to the Metroid movie. Whether or not either gets made has yet to be seen.

And I actually think it's gonna be hard to do a faithful translation of Soul Calibur from the game to the movie without it looking cheesey.

Oh yah. IGN also said the plot was something along the lines of two monks being sent out to destroy the Soul Calibur. Anybody wanna guess that one of them turns evil and they both end up fighting eachother?

And I'm guessing that at the very least, one of the monks will be Kilik, and maybe the other one will be Maxi? I dunno.

Daikarin
Mar 4, 2004, 07:00 PM
On 2004-03-04 15:55, Outrider wrote:

And I'm guessing that at the very least, one of the monks will be Kilik, and maybe the other one will be Maxi? I dunno.

Edge Master, more likely.

Lets hope that they don't make a crappy movie waiting it to give'em good money due to the license from a great game.

Skett
Mar 4, 2004, 08:08 PM
Sure, this sound fine in theory but how many movies based (loosly) on games were ever successfull? If you ask me, this will just turn into another crappy movie that will join the ranks with Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros., Tomb Raider, and Mortal Kombat. When will they learn?

Solstis
Mar 4, 2004, 08:13 PM
hm....

Johnny Depp as Maxi, Brad Pitt as Kilik, Uma Thurman as Ivy, er... that guy from "The Last Samurai" as Mitsurugi, and some other assorted people, and you've got a movie!

Halle as talim? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Outrider
Mar 4, 2004, 08:41 PM
On 2004-03-04 16:00, New Ultimate wrote:

Lets hope that they don't make a crappy movie waiting it to give'em good money due to the license from a great game.

But isn't Edge Master old and whatnot? And more a master than the kind of guy that would get sent out after the big bad guy in this kind of movie?

Besides, isn't he sort of a moot character, even in Soul Calibur? I dunno, I only have SC II, and have done a little research on the other two games.

-Z
Mar 4, 2004, 08:43 PM
heh ^_^

taki = sandra bullok
raphael = leanardo de caprio
link = whoever played legolas in LotR
voldo = jacko! nobody else scares me as much *hides*
sophitia = brittney spears?
yoshimutsu = adam sandler! yes, thats him under that mask...
astaroth = arnold shwartzenager
cassandra = mary kate olsen?
suing mina = jenifer lopez
xianghua = nelly
charade = tom green
necrid = some computer animations
cervante's = sean conery

and, my main man nightmare...

that's me under that armor! ^_^

well, as for the movie, i'm not sure how it would go, or if it'd just be another mortal kombat thing, but if it does come out as a movie, i'd probably be bored enough to go see it ^_^

Allos
Mar 4, 2004, 09:10 PM
On 2004-03-04 17:43, -Z wrote:
heh ^_^

taki = sandra bullok

I think we know that won't work for physical reasons if you know what I mean.

And why must they continually make movies based on fighting games??? Pretty soon we'll start seeing things like:

"Disney has just purchased the rights to make Tetris: The Movie"

Reality_Check
Mar 4, 2004, 09:29 PM
Man, I dunno what your talking about. In all theory, with all the colors and cool music. The Tetris Movie would be as big of a hit and addictive as the actual game itself!

And a Soul Calibur Movie does sound cool!

Solstis
Mar 4, 2004, 09:34 PM
There was a tetris cartoon, if you remember.

Gnarled_rose
Mar 4, 2004, 10:07 PM
I think it sounds dumb. Really dumb. No matter how addictive games are, we have proven multiple times in the past that games and motion pictures do NOT mix. Although, for some strange and sadistic reason, I oddly enjoyed Super Mario Bros. Hated FF, Tomb Raider, and the second MK, though.
And Tetris: The Movie could star.....Ahnuld Schwarzzzzzzzenhagen (Oh, bite me!) as Cube 1!! Yeah.....and Mel Gibson as Strange, Impossible To Fit Block 89.

KodiaX987
Mar 4, 2004, 10:23 PM
Video game movies suck ass by definition.

Case closed, bastards and bitches!

Sord
Mar 4, 2004, 10:31 PM
I thought the MK movie were jhonny cage dies in the beggining and the lightning guy becomes mortal was pretty good. And i guess the one that started it all, guy avenging his dead brother(gee, how origanal is that though?)

I like Mario Bros. though. I heard there was a sequal, but i doubt it.

Honestly, this game could go either way. Heck, what if they just focus on one persons story. Like Yunsung (my fav) and stuff.

Solstis
Mar 4, 2004, 10:36 PM
On 2004-03-04 19:31, Sord wrote:
I thought the MK movie were jhonny cage dies in the beggining and the lightning guy becomes mortal was pretty good. And i guess the one that started it all, guy avenging his dead brother(gee, how origanal is that though?)

I like Mario Bros. though. I heard there was a sequal, but i doubt it.

Honestly, this game could go either way. Heck, what if they just focus on one persons story. Like Yunsung (my fav) and stuff.

.... YOU LIKED MARIO BROS? I guess it wasn't bad, for campy-crap, that is.

There were some funny moments, but I felt like there were more *ugh* moments.

And sadly, "The Spirits within" or whatever is the best game-based-movie that I can think of.

Sord
Mar 4, 2004, 10:38 PM
On 2004-03-04 19:36, Solstis wrote:

And sadly, "The Spirits within" or whatever is the best game-based-movie that I can think of.

funny, nearly every single magazine i read said it was the worst game-to-movie translation in history. And no i'm not lieing (sp?) about that one.

Outrider
Mar 4, 2004, 10:44 PM
Tetris the movie?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030124l.jpg

Y'know, I actually went to Kinko's and printed this comic out. It's like a mini-poster on my wall, now.

Chaos_Phoenix
Mar 5, 2004, 09:31 AM

Hate to burst your bubble, or whatever, but FF: The Spirits Within was NOTHING like ANY of the FF games. In my opinion, that movie was a mockery of the entire the Square franchise. But, that's just my opinion. Oh, and I enjoyed Super Mario Bros.... for about 15 minutes.

Moo2u
Mar 5, 2004, 10:38 AM
Oh no! Why Soul Calibur! Why of all games Soul Calibur!

If you actually read about all the characters in the game, you'll find that this fighting game has a plot! And a good plot at that! I think it's the best plot in a fighting game yet!

But movies on game suck, it's been proven.

However, Soul Calibur has the potential to be a kick ass movie, if only they do things right. However, the way things go for game to movie adaptation, this will just be another Mortal Combat.

This movie would kick some major ass if it was animated. I always thought that an anime of SC would be really sweet.

And by the way, Ian McKellen would make a kick ass Edge Master! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Daikarin
Mar 5, 2004, 10:43 AM
On 2004-03-04 17:41, Outrider wrote:

On 2004-03-04 16:00, New Ultimate wrote:

But isn't Edge Master old and whatnot? And more a master than the kind of guy that would get sent out after the big bad guy in this kind of movie?

Besides, isn't he sort of a moot character, even in Soul Calibur? I dunno, I only have SC II, and have done a little research on the other two games.

If you put it that way, nobody in the games was considered a monk. Kilik was kind of like an apprentice of the sacred art of the staff.

But who knows... Maybe Kilik's companion is Maxi, since they and Xhianghua were the only alliance in the original game.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 5, 2004, 11:01 AM

It's Orlando Bloom...and you seriously think there will be a Link? He's in the Gamecube only, and doesn't *really* fit in with the whole storyline...i.e., he doesn't.

Thepandaman
Mar 5, 2004, 11:16 AM
It's Orlando Bloom...and you seriously think there will be a Link? He's in the Gamecube only, and doesn't *really* fit in with the whole storyline...i.e., he doesn't.
It's nice to know that it's not just me that thinks that link seems out of place in Soul Caliber II

Daikarin
Mar 5, 2004, 11:21 AM
On 2004-03-05 08:01, Antimony wrote:

The funny part would be to order Orlando to shout like Link does.

Did you notice that he doesn't speak?

It's just "TEEAAAGHHH!" all the way.

Scejntjynahl
Mar 5, 2004, 11:46 AM
With movies such as Terminator 3 and 2, Matrix (all three) we have witnessed that CG is here to stay. My point is that technology is good enough to make things look good. Soul has too may stories to make just one coherent movie. Or even Chrono Trigger would be difficult, with so many multiple endings been possible.

In my opinion they should pick a game that has ONE solid story behind it, and a moving story at that. With the success that LOR has had. There has been a feeling of accepting Dungegon and Dragon type story lines in the general population. Right now would be a good time to bring Link to life, as the hero in time. But, it wont happen.

They pick fighting games as movies because even if the plot sucks, they hope the insane uncoherent action will bring in the people to watch the movie.

PS. Personally I think computer technology is good to bring to life ROBOTECH, but thats my opinion.

Outrider
Mar 5, 2004, 11:57 AM
The Legend of Zelda: The Movie.

Adapt Ocarina of Time into a live-action movie. Unfortunately, I'd say get somebody besides Orlando Bloom. I like him too, but I don't think he's really Link.

If possible, perhaps you could take the story from the Ocarina of Time manga by Akira Himegawa and use that for the movie. It's a more centralized plot-line than the actual game, so it could work.

SorceressofTime
Mar 7, 2004, 08:33 AM
i think i'll stay neutral for opinion at this stage. i need more info on the 'apparent' movie - and god hope it'll be a good one with actors who suittheir roles. *twitches*

Gnarled_rose
Mar 7, 2004, 09:31 AM
On 2004-03-05 08:16, Thepandaman wrote:

It's nice to know that it's not just me that thinks that link seems out of place in Soul Caliber II

But you have to admit, with a new game out, we all need a new SPAWN movie. Take a look at the '97(?) movie, and you'll see that the CG on that thing was as good as many movie in '03 and '04.
And maybe....[the name just left me]Old Dude From Tekken[/herefore known as ODFT] could fit in somewhere. Like Rafiki, the monkey offa Lion King.

P.S. In Utah, it's fun to see movies about stuff like Heaven and Hell come out and watch everyone's jaw drop whenever someone mentions the main character's background or villan.

Kiara
Mar 7, 2004, 05:23 PM
I read this last week at GameSpot : /

I think this movie will be craptacular almost as awful as FF. I actually liked Mario Bros, SF and MK oddly enough (I was like 5). The last thing I wanna see is Kilik with a pie and Talim being able to sense who's going to die next. -_-;;

Kuea
Mar 7, 2004, 05:28 PM
sounds like something to watch when it is 5 am in the morning when you are stoned....it is gonna suck.
only video game movies that are good...see above post

kevlar_pso
Mar 8, 2004, 02:58 AM
Churn it out, I'll end up in the very least renting it. House of the Dead is on my radar. Never seen Mario Bros., not sure if I wanna. It's pretty bad when a movie can end you career. i.e. Mario, who played him again? So yea, I'll watch Soul Calibur. I'll buy FF just to see the cast cover "Thriller"!!!

Outrider
Mar 8, 2004, 10:40 AM
On 2004-03-07 23:58, kevlar_pso wrote:
Never seen Mario Bros., not sure if I wanna. It's pretty bad when a movie can end you career. i.e. Mario, who played him again?

Well, if sales of Mario games are the basis for anything, many many people.

Now willingly seeing the House of the Dead movie? Jeez, you've got guts.

Daikarin
Mar 8, 2004, 01:51 PM
Here's the cast I would select:

Ivy: Uma Thurman
Edge Master: Ng Man-Tat (The old geezer from Shaolin Soccer)
Mitsurugi: Ken Watanabe (Last Samurai, guess who)
Maxi: Antonio Banderas or Ben Afleck
Xhianghua: Vicki Zhao (Damn pretty)
Taki: Zhang Ziyi (C. Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
Kilik: Jet Li
Hong/Hwang: Keanu Reeves
Raphael: Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom
Astaroth/Nightmare: ARHNOLD
Seung Mina: Lucy Liu
Cervantes: Sir Ian McKellen

Link: Elijah Wood, but Stephen Chow could make us laugh a bit

Nidarrock
Mar 9, 2004, 05:58 PM
With most games that become movies if they are done right then it could be good. If done wrong it will suck. I think we have yet to see it done right. The only movie that was close to be good was Mortal Kombat. Soul Calibur does have an interesting story, and honestly if they were to make any of the three games into a flick it should be Soul Blade/Edge. I think it would be cool following Seigfreid(spelling?) and watching him succumb to the torments that is the Soul Edge.

Speaking of movie to games....Hear that Bruckheimer snagged the rights to Prince of Persia and was quoted(well someone else was quoted actually) as saying..."Rather than do a straight beat-for-beat adaptation of the new videogame," he says, "we're taking some cool elements from the game and using them to craft a new story – much as Pirates did with the theme park ride." Black mark #1 on that movie. But if the Pirates crew does PoP they may turn something cool out in the end.