PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite anime?

Kuea
Mar 6, 2004, 07:30 PM
like the title says Whats you're favorite anime?
mine is Ah megami sama
(Ah My Goddess)

Kiara
Mar 6, 2004, 07:34 PM
Hey, kev!

For now my favorite is Inu Yasha.

Outrider
Mar 6, 2004, 07:41 PM
Erm... used to be DBZ, but now it's probably Cowboy Bebop.

My favorite anime movie though is Princess Mononoke.

DolmolmKing
Mar 6, 2004, 07:54 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion, then followed very closly by Those who Hunt Elves 2. Do any of you guys have COmcast On demand? they have the Anime Network, you get lots of cool anime for free but most of the titles I haven't heard of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DolmolmKing on 2004-03-06 16:56 ]</font>

SpikeOtacon
Mar 6, 2004, 07:55 PM
My favorite series is FLCL, and runner ups are Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. I like Full Metal Panick as well....

Hrith
Mar 6, 2004, 09:13 PM
Record of Lodoss War
Princess Mononoke for movies

Deathscythealpha
Mar 6, 2004, 09:32 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Get alot of elitist's who poo-poo it of late, but i really liked the series.

Trigun and Cowboy Bebop scrabble around at second place. Excel Saga was skulking around there at one point, but when they introduced the Doctor with the strange habit into the series it kinda went a bit wrong.

_Sinue_
Mar 6, 2004, 10:52 PM
Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D movies, FLCL, The Armitage Movies, Demon City Shinjoku, Metropolis, Tetsuwan Birdy the Mighty, and a few others.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-03-06 21:30 ]</font>

Dhylec
Mar 6, 2004, 11:19 PM
ah, quite a few to list.. so i pick just some..
(generally, comedy action is my type)
'oldies' like urusai, my goodess, maison, kenshin, ranma, etc.
'newbies' like hina, naruto, inu, etc. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

rising_sunset
Mar 6, 2004, 11:35 PM
ahhh...

No one likes "someday's dreamers"

good anime (eh forgot what it is in JP)

Skett
Mar 6, 2004, 11:36 PM
Tenchi Muyo, Kenshin, Dot Hack, Princess Mononoky (or however you spell it), Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evengelion, Outlaw Star, Ah My Goddess, and Crest of the Stars. Nia.

Eihwaz
Mar 7, 2004, 12:23 AM
Dubs: FLCL, Cowboy Bebop. Also, Princess Mononoke was superb.

Subs: GetBackers, Full Metal Alchemist, ChrnoCrusade.

I want to see more of the subs...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Outrider
Mar 7, 2004, 03:03 AM
Bah. People care too much about subs if you ask me. Especially since nowadays, a lot of anime dubs are top-notch. (I'd even say some are better than the subs, but I don't wanna get into that right now.)

Nai_Calus
Mar 7, 2004, 09:04 AM
People traditionally care about subs because while there -are- good dubs, the vast majority are horrible, hack jobs, or both. (Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon, for example. Bad dub, worse editing/censoring/cutting.) Traditionally, dubs have been bad. They are improving(The Excel Saga dub was listenable, The El Hazard OAV dub was -great-, the Utena movie had the benefit of changed characterizations for some characters making originally bad casting now good, and some of the key scenes were supervised by the original director when they were dubbed, and thus manages to be listenable.), but a lot are still bad.

Anyway. Moving on.

I've got several favourites... Hmm, let's see.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon:

First introduced via the dub. Loved it even butchered. Found out about the original online, downloaded a few episodes(Back in the old days of 20MB postage stamp-sized RMs before digisubbers and broadband being widespread, heh) of it, seen most of it since, still like it. Not the best anime, but still a damn good show. Besides, who doesn't like teenage girls running around in miniskirts? >_>;

Shoujo Kakumei Utena:

Ran across it via friends talking about it. Hated the art style at first from the pictures I saw, then got introduced to the (awesome) music. Saw a couple of episodes, got hooked. Far and away my absolute all-time favorite, both the TV series and the movie.

Rurouni Kenshin:

I like swords. </Fighter>
...And hey, we've got good plots and great characters, too!

El Hazard:

Ifurita. Need I say anything else? The ending to the first OAV is possibly the most satisfying and fulfilling ending to any anime I've ever seen. I actually didn't want anything else after it, heh. What more was there to do after it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Magic Knight Rayearth:

It's an animated RPG! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Fun, apparently happy show with a nice mindfucky twist at the end. XD

LadyRedComet
Mar 7, 2004, 09:16 AM
My favorites are Kenshin, Rayearth, Read or Die, and Princess Mononoke.

Gnarled_rose
Mar 7, 2004, 09:35 AM
Hey, more Princess Mononoke fans! Actually, I like all of Hayao Miyazaki's stuff, but the Princess is my all-time favorite.
But for a series, you can't beat Gundam Wing or G Gundam, in my opinion.

goku4ever
Mar 7, 2004, 10:30 AM
DBZ

FOAtHeart
Mar 7, 2004, 02:21 PM
SAILOR MOON!

Tsukini kawatte, oshikio! *point*

Outrider
Mar 7, 2004, 02:31 PM
Since everyone seems to be a Miyazaki fan, I just thought I'd mention that Studio Ghibli has started working on their next movie. Something called "Howl's Moving Castle" and based off a book of the same name by Diane Wynne Jones. I dunno, I've never read any of her stuff, and don't think I've really heard of her. (But was she the person who sued JK Rowling saying Harry Potter ripped off her stuff?)

It's supposed to come out in Japan this summer, so who knows when it'll come out in the US. Thankfully, there's still several older movies that Disney is going to bring over here.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 7, 2004, 03:30 PM
Big O was fairly intriguing, flcl was like anime on crack (but was good for a laugh), cowboy beebop/trigun are right there too.

Aunt_Betty
Mar 7, 2004, 03:50 PM
Those days in the fall were off topic was Covered with anime topics?HeHeheheh....no.
But since I'm here ok.Millenium Actress.It's was wonderful and was awe inspiring.It was about her growing up being and actress.

Reality_Check
Mar 7, 2004, 03:59 PM
Final Fantasy Unlimited and Gundam Wing... Aaaahhhh yeah!

Elvendar
Mar 7, 2004, 05:21 PM
I have FFU, and I don't understand it at all.

Overall, my favorite anime... Gatchaman, or G-Force. Yeah, can't get much better than that http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, how could I forget? Record of Lodoss War owned too.

Sord
Mar 7, 2004, 05:41 PM
Princess Mononoke & Totoro (sp?) for movies. *cue giant hairball with ears bringing up a giant tree* I just love those dust thingies, i want one as a pet. Though how do keep them from turning everything to dust...

Anyways, as for series:

FLCL
Excel Saga
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Robin Witch Hunter (kinda...)
Record of Lodoss War
and i could have gotten into Harlock Saga if Toonami Reactor hadn't quit showing animes.
And i forgot, I like all the Tenchi series (thanks Amiadon)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2004-03-07 18:40 ]</font>

Amiadon
Mar 7, 2004, 09:32 PM
I like love:

Excel Saga, Tenchi Muyo!, Noir (NOIR! YES! YES! AAHAHAHAHAH! AIIIIIE! OOOOOOOHH! AAHHHHHH!), FLCL (Thanks Sord), Esca., Orphen, AMG, OMG, RahXephon (great show), EVA (Meh, not bad. RahXephon is better though), .hack//sign, and all those etc, etc.

PaleKid15
Mar 8, 2004, 01:48 PM
Gate Keepers 21= Many a cool quote in this show

FLCL= Endless supply of wtfness

Inuyasha= Semi-intersting story, good actionime

Orange_kid
Mar 8, 2004, 02:08 PM
Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Excel Saga. "put it in" lol

Kuea
Mar 8, 2004, 02:28 PM
... This may sound dumb but what does FLCL stand for?

Elvendar
Mar 8, 2004, 03:07 PM
FLCL Stands for Furi Kuri, or Fooly Cooly.

I forgot to add one of my older favorites, Boogiepop Phantom.

Dominitrus
Mar 8, 2004, 04:15 PM
Some of my favourites:
Gen So Maden Saiyuki
BubbleGum Crisis
flame of recca
YuYu Hakusho
Evangelion http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Here and there, Now and then
Monster Rancher
Saber Marionette
Burn Up Excess
Ghost sweeper
Curios play
Samurai X
Cyber team in akihabara
Hunter X Hunter
DBZ
Dual
the list goes on...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
all this inspired me to draw anime.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dominitrus on 2004-03-17 15:04 ]</font>

Mustashi2278
Mar 8, 2004, 06:45 PM
Since I live in Quebec, there's no anime on TV but there's some Mangas, I think that counts has a form of Anime since most are based on them. I have to say Naruto. I really like Naruto, I have all of the availble episode in Quebec in my Mana collection.

Guile
Mar 9, 2004, 02:55 AM
Looney Toons.

That or Beserk, for now.

HotWaterDeath
Mar 9, 2004, 01:16 PM
Any Hayao Miyazaki material.
Akira
Robotech series

I could go on, but my inner-geekdom is about to rupture.

PaleKid15
Mar 9, 2004, 02:36 PM
On 2004-03-08 12:07, Elvendar wrote:

Boogiepop Phantom... that's on tech tv now right? What the hell is that show about? I saw one episode and nothing was explained. Nothing. WTF is the plot about?

Aredhel
Mar 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
Heh, I bought the entire Boogipop set at Best Buy a few months ago and have yet to watch it - should get on that soon ;/

But anyways...

Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are where it's at. Akira (the movie), Princess Mononoke and Ghost in the Shell are all great works of Art.

Outrider
Mar 11, 2004, 01:30 PM
While I only saw it once, I wasn't nearly as impressed by Akira as my friends were. I mean, it wasn't bad, but they think it's the second coming or something.

BogusKun
Mar 11, 2004, 02:40 PM
Akira had that OMFGWTFTTFPSO? Feel to it.

Like when the cops splattered that guy.

Amiadon
Mar 12, 2004, 12:13 AM
On 2004-03-08 11:08, Orange_kid wrote:

If your talking about Haruko's little orgasmic moment in the fourth episode, I believe she says
"Come here, I'm gonna stick it in!"

I love that line.

Mixfortune
Mar 12, 2004, 03:39 AM
On 2004-03-11 21:13, Amiadon wrote:

On 2004-03-08 11:08, Orange_kid wrote:

If your talking about Haruko's little orgasmic moment in the fourth episode, I believe she says
"Come here, I'm gonna stick it in!"

I love that line.

I think he's referring to the handheld game Ilpallazzo is playing in an early Excel Saga ep. Plays like a dating sim game or something like that, where when they have a set of multiple choice question it almost always said "put it in".

Anyways, favorite anime... hmmm...

Naruto
Slayers
Read or Die OVA series
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Spriggan
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
Black Magic M-66 (I suppose)
Ragnarok (manhwa, anyways)
One Piece (haven't read much of it)
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun

and more...

EDIT- Adding:
Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Excel Saga

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-03-12 00:40 ]</font>

Elvendar
Mar 12, 2004, 02:47 PM
On 2004-03-09 11:36, PaleKid15 wrote:

On 2004-03-08 12:07, Elvendar wrote:

Boogiepop Phantom... that's on tech tv now right? What the hell is that show about? I saw one episode and nothing was explained. Nothing. WTF is the plot about?

Well, the boogiepop phantom, as far as I can tell, is the angel of death.

The first season, as far as I could tell (:P) Was about a girl who had the power to bring out a person's inner child. When people's inner child comes out, they are ashamed of the things they have gone through and the overwhelming stress as an adult, so it makes them commit suicide, and their inner-child-spirit is released.

From what I hear, the second season, the arch-enemy girl (who has since died) passes on some power to her brother. Dunno, haven't watched it yet.

It's good though. Very bloody http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Melo768
Mar 12, 2004, 09:30 PM
Please Teacher, .hack//SIGN and legend of the twilight, Ruroni Kenshin, and Evangalin is kind of good.

Cheep
Mar 13, 2004, 01:19 AM
I like Betterman >.> <.< >.> Is that weird? I also like Inu Yasha(gotta love the Shippo! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) and Last Exile. I also like Cowboy Bebop for Ein and Ed. I don't know why I like Rurouni Kenshin, but I do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cheep on 2004-03-12 22:23 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Mar 13, 2004, 09:07 AM
Up untill recently Cowboy BeBop was at the top of my list with Visions Of Escaflowne coming in a very close 2nd and Evangelion coming in 3rd.

Now RahXephon ranks as my favorite anime series of all time. I just got the whole entire series last week. I sat down and watched the whole entire series in one sitting and as soon as I got to the end I put the first DVD back in and watched the whole entire thing ( once again in one sitting ) again ( and I am desperatly trying to resist watching it all over again, I don't want to watch it to death ). It's everything Evangelion could have and should have been.

Deathscythealpha
Mar 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
On 2004-03-12 11:47, Elvendar wrote:
Well, the boogiepop phantom, as far as I can tell, is the angel of death.

The first season, as far as I could tell (:P) Was about a girl who had the power to bring out a person's inner child. When people's inner child comes out, they are ashamed of the things they have gone through and the overwhelming stress as an adult, so it makes them commit suicide, and their inner-child-spirit is released.

From what I hear, the second season, the arch-enemy girl (who has since died) passes on some power to her brother. Dunno, haven't watched it yet.

It's good though. Very bloody http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh god i hope that wasnt spoilers, ive only watched up to the 6th episode of the series so far. They had always left the Boogiepop Phantom as a cryptic thing that would get explained as the series went on, you have to watch it all before you fully understand.

Elvendar
Mar 13, 2004, 11:43 AM
Nah, wasn't really spoilers. It'd be spoiling it if I told you all the cool ways the people died! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and betterman is cool too.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 13, 2004, 12:28 PM
whats with aeon flux? anyone know?

RoninJoku
Mar 13, 2004, 03:36 PM
Ack... I don't wanna stick with the trends of saying Eva, Bebop, Trigun, Excel Saga and stuff like that... but theyre all so good! (I dont like FLCL though... Don't ask why...)

To be different though i'll throw in:
Blue Seed (underrated)
Those Who Hunt Elves (funny show)
Android Kikaider (First season and the very last episode are amazing!)
Metropolis (very interesting movie)
Real Bout High School (the manga is better though)
X (cant help but love it)

Then you cant forget the classics like Ninja Scroll, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, etc...
I'm also trying to collect all of RahXephon at the moment but havent even come close due to money constaints...
But now that i've posted all this in this already packed thread, it seems so pointless seeing that I dont see why many people would still be reading posts this far in >.>

_Sinue_
Mar 13, 2004, 05:40 PM
Did you know that Metropolis is (loosely) based off of a 1926 German silent film that goes by the same name. The original Metropolis ran for about 12 hours (I believe that's what they said, not sure, but it was a LONG ass time) but it's so old and has been through so many restorations - that the original film is lost completely, and the 1928 re-release had several hours of footage missing.

I kinda sumbled onto all this since Starz! Action channel was playing the Metropolis Anime, and just after - I began flipping channels only to find the original Metropolis playing on Turner Classic Movie channel.

As for the anime, while true to the original only in moral, certain plot points, and astetics, it is still a masterpiece all in it's own. The ending scenes really struck me. I don't know who's decision it was to put Ray Charel's "I Can't Stop Loving You" song as the music durring the climax when the towers are exploding and falling - but I just want to say that they are, point blank, a ****ing genious.

http://hem.fyristorg.com/kraftwerk/met-rob.jpg
This is what Tima (Maria) looked like in 1926 after sheding her human-formed husk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-03-13 15:12 ]</font>

Akdov
Mar 13, 2004, 07:21 PM
I don't have a favorite anime, because I don't know squat about it. But I know one that I really HATE, and that would be the old Speed Racer cartoon from the 80's. That was pure evil! Anything else is WAY better if you ask me.ANYTHING.

metermore
Mar 13, 2004, 08:29 PM
On 2004-03-06 16:41, Outrider wrote:
Erm... used to be DBZ, but now it's probably Cowboy Bebop.

My favorite anime movie though is Princess Mononoke.

i seccond that
cept my fav is either rorini kenshin, yu yu hakusho, or .hack sign

Direlect
Mar 13, 2004, 09:26 PM
On 2004-03-06 16:54, DolmolmKing wrote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, then followed very closly by Those who Hunt Elves 2. Do any of you guys have COmcast On demand? they have the Anime Network, you get lots of cool anime for free but most of the titles I haven't heard of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DolmolmKing on 2004-03-06 16:56 ]</font>

I got the comcast an i like most all anime accept, chobits

Melo768
Mar 14, 2004, 03:06 PM
Did anyone every seen the movie X?

Zzzzzz
Mar 14, 2004, 07:25 PM
I don't really have a list considering I don't really watch anime. I saw this strange preview thing and it was...weird.
I can't even remember it.

But the only anime I watch and really liked is:
Trigun!
I also kinda liked Spirited Away.
Vash's hair is cool. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html)

Outrider
Mar 14, 2004, 09:04 PM
On 2004-03-14 12:06, Melo768 wrote:

Oh yeah. Depressing as all heck.

RoninJoku
Mar 14, 2004, 09:08 PM
On 2004-03-14 18:04, Outrider wrote:

It was amazing though! XD

And yes the song placement in the end of Metropolis WAS ****ing genius http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2004-03-14 18:10 ]</font>

Enyalis_Cho
Mar 14, 2004, 09:18 PM
Well, most of my favorites have been listed here already, so I'll just name the ones that aren't:

Golden Boy
Serial Experiments Lain
Fushigi Yuugi
Tokyo Mew Mew
Yami no Matsuei
Fruits Basket
Weiss Kreuz
Heroic Legend of Arislan
Dragon Half

I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 01:52 AM
On 2004-03-14 18:08, RurouniJoku wrote:

SPOILERS!!!!1!1!

Alright, but don't expect me to hug the decapitated head of my best friend as the world collapses around me. And I mean... jeez, they couldn't leave more than one main character alive at the end?

But yeah, I guess it wasn't bad. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

NO MORE SPOILERS HERE, DUDE. SERIOUSLY.

EDIT: And the thing that creeps me out about X is that it was written by Clamp. Don't they usually write girly manga and stuff? (To be fair, I can only think of Cardcaptor Sakura as an example of their other work.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-03-14 22:53 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 15, 2004, 10:20 AM
On 2004-03-14 22:52, Outrider wrote:

SPOILERS!!!!1!1!

Alright, but don't expect me to hug the decapitated head of my best friend as the world collapses around me. And I mean... jeez, they couldn't leave more than one main character alive at the end?

But yeah, I guess it wasn't bad. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: And the thing that creeps me out about X is that it was written by Clamp. Don't they usually write girly manga and stuff? (To be fair, I can only think of Cardcaptor Sakura as an example of their other work.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Outrider on 2004-03-14 22:53 ]</font>

Hahahahaha. You don't know CLAMP very well, do you? Oh yes, happy shoujo pap... And then comes the HORRIBLE BLINDING ANGST. Seriously, remember what I said about Rayearth? For most of it you think it's your typical mahou shoujo animated RPG with mecha... And then they COMPLETELY FUCK YOUR BRAIN at the end. XD

RoninJoku
Mar 15, 2004, 10:14 PM
On 2004-03-15 07:20, Ian-KunX wrote:

On 2004-03-14 22:52, Outrider wrote:

SPOILERS!!!!1!1!

Hahahahaha. You don't know CLAMP very well, do you? Oh yes, happy shoujo pap... And then comes the HORRIBLE BLINDING ANGST. Seriously, remember what I said about Rayearth? For most of it you think it's your typical mahou shoujo animated RPG with mecha... And then they COMPLETELY FUCK YOUR BRAIN at the end. XD

You can always stick with good old Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland! XD That show/movie/whatever was just plain fun!

Zolpner
Mar 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
er, I don't really have one favourite Anime... but my fav's are:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
.hack (only seen 6 episodes of //SIGN)
Cowboy bebop
Gundam: Wing
Zoids: Chaotic Century (New Century is ok but I like CC better)

er there is prolly more but I can't remember/havn't seen them yet.. (as the only real way to see them here is the couple new ones the play on Cartoon Network aus per year, downloading them, or buying them (which we have only just got the ability to buy here)).

yea....

ERS
Mar 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
I don't really watch too much anime, but I like Abenobashi, it is pretty interesting. Found it on the Anime Network on demand.

Mattacon
Mar 16, 2004, 06:27 AM
Rurouni Kenshin.

Xero_Silvera
Mar 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
Inuyasha;Bebop;Trigun;Rouroni Kenshin;Gundam Wing
And yep, the princess mono movie that i seen was awsome. (keep in mind all i get is cable and what i download.. that usually ends up as porn and me kicking the harddrive.)
-xero

Sharkyland
Mar 16, 2004, 05:59 PM
Probably you have never heard of these two:
- Dragon League
- Blazing Transfer Student

Dominitrus
Mar 17, 2004, 05:57 PM
[quote]
On 2004-03-08 13:15, Dominitrus wrote:
Some of my favourites:
Gen So Maden Saiyuki
BubbleGum Crisis
flame of recca
Yu Yu Hakusho
Evangelion http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Here and there, Now and then
Monster Rancher
Saber Marionette
Burn Up Excess
Ghost sweeper
Curios play
Samurai X
Cyber team in akihabara
Hunter X Hunter
DBZ
the list goes on...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
all this inspired me to draw anime.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dominitrus on 2004-03-17 14:57 ]</font>