PDA

View Full Version : Funny PSO story

Cap_Canuk
Mar 6, 2004, 11:03 PM
a bunch of us, various levels, were going through the caves together, when we started chatting about our mags.
One mentionned that his mag "looks like a couple of yellow tennis %#&^s".
we all laughed,
but then he responded
"What? Why do they censor <shoes>?"

Eihwaz
Mar 6, 2004, 11:22 PM
Simple.

SHOES

Yes, I think that would be it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Cap_Canuk
Mar 6, 2004, 11:26 PM
On 2004-03-06 20:22, Eihwaz wrote:
Simple.

SHOES

Yes, I think that would be it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

while we later found out that "shoes" was also censored, he probably said "Shoe" since the word didn't get censored... he had originally said "balls".

Raxxon_Ironis
Mar 6, 2004, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see an exhaustive list of all the words they censor online. Then we could see that Sonic Team are, indeed, as perverted and twisted as the rest of us...

Robo47
Mar 7, 2004, 12:06 AM
Did you know you cant say 'Jude'? Like if you were talking about the Beatles song 'Hey Jude' it would be: 'Hey @%^#'.

ST are idiots.

GyroidFanatic
Mar 7, 2004, 01:12 AM
Let's not forget Sa!@#$ay. (SaTURDay)

kevlar_pso
Mar 7, 2004, 01:44 AM
Any future PSO games should be rated "M" for mature. Well, maybe it will be immature who knows. All I know is that if it was rated "M" for mature there would be no annoyin lil kids. Or @least not as many. This would also eliminate the need to censor words. Racial slurs should still be censored tho. Because it is funny that you can find a Hell Brand, but you cannot say that you found a *%^@ Brand.

A2K
Mar 7, 2004, 04:33 AM
"Although there is no change in the actual meaning of the word Jude, the term has a certain connotation assigned with the fate of this minority during the Second World War. It is not a taboo term, but it is used more carefully and received with more attention than other words. The event and the time following have made German people sensitive towards the subject matter and the words related to it, which is a distinctive example for to the way how taboo terms can develop."

http://www1.ku-eichstaett.de/SLF/EngluVglSW/page%203.htm

goku4ever
Mar 7, 2004, 05:11 AM
lol sounds funny

KingChaos
Mar 7, 2004, 06:58 AM
shoes is because hoes
saturday is because of turd

Cap_Canuk
Mar 7, 2004, 10:21 AM
On 2004-03-07 03:58, FOnewm_Chaos wrote:
shoes is because hoes
saturday is because of turd

Yes, obviously, but "come one!". Isn't that puhing it a little too far? Is "firetruck" censored as well? And "Jude"? I've found a whole bunch of French swear words which are NOT censored, and yet I couldn't say that I was "off to get a BITE to eat" yesterday.

if my PSO were set in German-language mode, then I could understand censoring a word like "Jude" (pronounced "yoode", I think). Likewise, if it was in French, I'd understand "Bite" being censored (pronounced "bit"... it's a nasty word for, well, you try to figure it out).

but my GameCube is set in English, where Jude is the name of a popular actor, where Bite is something I do with my teeth, where Saturday is the day I normally play PSO online, where I kick off my Shoes before settling down on the couch to play PSO...

Oh, for Firetruck's sake!

Mr_Special
Mar 7, 2004, 03:41 PM
pork is also sensored.

i had a list of funny words that they sensored.

when i go back online i'll make a list of ALL the words i can think of that are censored http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Cap_Canuk
Mar 7, 2004, 05:29 PM
On 2004-03-07 01:33, A2K wrote:
"Although there is no change in the actual meaning of the word Jude, the term has a certain connotation assigned with the fate of this minority during the Second World War. It is not a taboo term, but it is used more carefully and received with more attention than other words. The event and the time following have made German people sensitive towards the subject matter and the words related to it, which is a distinctive example for to the way how taboo terms can develop."

While the website to which you link in your post is quite interesting and highly informative, your quote from this site is taken out of context, and detracts from the actual argument at hand.

I'm sure anyone would agree that the word "Jude", in German, can have a historically-related context which places it in a delicate position. If I were Jewish I might react to a German national referring to me as "jude", and understandibly so.

And I also understand that this program (PSO) is multilingual, and has simultaneous instances in multiple languages functionning at once.

But one has to wonder, when a word like "shoes" or "saturday" is censored, whether the programmers of this game have any notion whatsoever of the impact of their censorship. Do they even realize that words like "turd" (withdrawn from "Saturday") are of such mild shock value (as they have been in most English dictionaries since the advent of dictionaries) that no parent would chastice a child for using them?

Do you realise that my friends who are gay cannot refer to themselves on PSO? However, for some strange reason, the word "lesbian" is NOT censored.

A poster opined that PSO should have been rated M for mature. Well, if changing the rating is the only way to avoid this oppressive censorship, then what are we waiting for? Quick, ST, change the rating on PSO! for %&^#$ sake.

To the moderators:
I apologize for the excess of zeal on my part in this thread. But as a grown man, with multiple university degrees, I find it very difficult during my off-hours to be confronted with ill-conceived attempts at grotesque political correctness.