PDA

View Full Version : Elysion / Holy Ray on all-casting FOnewearl

Zeroy
Mar 7, 2004, 10:19 PM
would an Elysion or Holy Ray be any good on an all-casting FOnewearl? i dont melee any but the Elysion's special would come in handy and the Holy Ray could be used when my TP runs out, but would they be any good like that?

Eihwaz
Mar 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
Er, the amount of damage you would do wouldn't be too much...however, it's not too bad of an idea to use the Elysion's special to conserve TP, my FOnewm did it all the time in lower difficulties. In Ult, it's way too hard to do, though.

If you want to save on TP, get a good TP-stealing weapon. Mahu, Talis, Hitogata, Sting Tip, or even Chameleon Scythe would be useful.

lain2k3
Mar 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
doublesaber is much better for the TP drain effect.

you'll need tons of hit% no matter what you go with.

Firocket1690
Mar 7, 2004, 11:27 PM
Chameleon scythe steals TP at the 'single hit' level. (55% if I remember correctly)
Offline C-Mode weapon

Double Saber steals TP at the multi hit level.
(33% if I remember correctly)
A lot easier to find than getting a C. Scythe

... but the Scythe looks pretty. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zeroy
Mar 7, 2004, 11:30 PM
ive got a Double Saber +6, but id rather have a TP stealing FOrce weapon, I dont melee with her. and the scythe looks stupid.

another question: is the Caduceaus (boosts Grants 20%) a good weapon?

VulpesMundi
Mar 7, 2004, 11:34 PM
If you're going to use a TP stealing weapon, then I've got four words for you: Geist Raygun with hit.

Offensive weapons on a spellcasting force would be a complete waste of your time, even if they do have spell-like special attacks. Don't bother. Just get yourself a weapon with techique bonuses instead. Doing 20% or even 30% more damage per cast is great for reducing TP consumption in the long run. There's a wide variety to choose from with various bonuses. A FOnewearl would make great use of a Summit Moon (basic tech bonus), but could also find use in a Caduceus (Grants bonus), a Magical Piece (Gi-level tech bonus), a Sorceror's Cane (Gi-level tech bonus and a 10% reduction in TP cost), a Prophets of Motav (Ra-level tech bonus), and a Psycho Wand (Ra-level tech bonus, a 50% reduction in TP cost, and +50 DFP). There are easier weapons to find if you are still a fairly low level. Club of Laconium, Mace of Adaman, Club of Zumiuran, Fire Scepter:Agni, Ice Staff:Dagon, and Storm Wand:Indra can all be very useful to a budding spellcasting force.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-03-07 20:37 ]</font>

silvermax
Mar 7, 2004, 11:34 PM
only if you need a Grants boost

Soukosa
Mar 7, 2004, 11:39 PM
On 2004-03-07 20:27, Firocket1690 wrote:
Chameleon scythe steals TP at the 'single hit' level. (55% if I remember correctly)
Offline C-Mode weapon

The Scythe is unreduced Geist and the Double Saber is Mind. Also, special attacks on twin sabers aren't reduced.

... but the Scythe looks pretty. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You got good taste.

Zeroy
Mar 7, 2004, 11:43 PM
wait... the Cameleon Scythe confuses enemies with the special, not TP steal.

Firocket1690
Mar 7, 2004, 11:44 PM
On 2004-03-07 20:39, Sounomi wrote:

On 2004-03-07 20:27, Firocket1690 wrote:
Offline C-Mode weapon

The Scythe is unreduced Geist and the Double Saber is Mind. Also, special attacks on twin sabers aren't reduced.

er ...
Didn't Vulpes speak of those %s when testing stuff out?
Oh, and I think it meant how much % of TP it stole from the enemy.

You got good taste.

Thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edits: quote tags

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2004-03-07 21:06 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Mar 7, 2004, 11:45 PM
On 2004-03-07 20:43, Zeroy wrote:

Confusion on DC
TP steal on I&II

Double post, go me.

... I never got one on DC, I onlyt assumed from the guides ...
Meanie! XP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2004-03-08 14:04 ]</font>

Hrith
Mar 7, 2004, 11:45 PM

nope, that's a mistake in the translation of the description, was already there on DC >_>

Which means that Firo is wrong, again, please check your info before posting, young paddawan http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kef on 2004-03-07 20:47 ]</font>

Soukosa
Mar 7, 2004, 11:46 PM

No. The description is wrong.

On 2004-03-07 20:44, Firocket1690 wrote:
er ...
Didn't Vulpes speak of those %s when testing stuff out?
Oh, and I think it meant how much % of TP it stole from the enemy.

I have no idea where you got those percents from, but they're way off.

Zeroy
Mar 7, 2004, 11:46 PM
oh ok. i still think its stupid

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-07 20:47 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Mar 7, 2004, 11:54 PM
On 2004-02-19 04:25, VulpesMundi wrote:

On 2004-02-19 00:23, navi wrote:
It'd seem like the instant kill special work better on special weapons...

This is very true. Assuming you saw it, do you remember the study I did on experience stealing weapons? Wasn't more than two months ago, I think. Anyway, weapons are basically classified into three departments...

Single-target: gets the full effect of the special. This includes Saber, Handgun, Rifle, Cane, Rod, Wand, Claw, and possibly more.
Dual-/wide-hit: gets 50% the effect of the special. This includes Dagger, Twin Saber, Sword, Partisan, and possibly more.
Multi-hit: gets 32.5% the effect of the special. This includes Slicer, Mechgun, Shotgun, and possibly more.

The effectiveness changes how accurate the special is (not the attack, which is still determined by ATA, but rather the special effect itself). It will also effect how much a stealing weapon (Gush, Geist, King's, etc.) will steal. If you use a weapon with a 32.5% effectiveness (lets say a Shot), each bullet of the special attack will have 32.5% the effectiveness of the same special being used on a single-target weapon (such as a Saber). Not all weapons or special attacks are equally effected by these, though. And some special weapons are effective differently than they're expected to be. The Flight Fan is a good example of this. It's a slicer, which fits under the multi-hit category. However the Flight Fan's special is treated as if it was a single-target weapon. It was also discovered that all the S-ranks are treated as single-target weapons, regardless of their native class type. So generally speaking, special weapons do indeed seem to have more effective special attacks in the long run.

Edit: Clarity. Also, I found the topic where I did a study on the experience stealing specials of various weapons. It's here...
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=73058&forum=7

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-02-19 14:22 ]</font>

Whoops. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Soukosa
Mar 8, 2004, 12:00 AM
On 2004-03-07 20:54, Firocket1690 wrote:
Whoops. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure that Twin Sabers have unreduced attacks, at least the ones I checked had unreduced ones.

Edit: I checked the Double Saber's special with Sou and it stole 68 TP per whack which would be about 4% of her max TP of 1722, which would make it unreduced Mind. I'll check some twin sabers later, but I have noticed that the Devil's special on the Demo Comet is more effective than the same special on the Imperial Pick, which is reduced.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sounomi on 2004-03-07 21:07 ]</font>

VulpesMundi
Mar 8, 2004, 03:30 AM
Firocket, you didn't bold a very important part of that quote. Let me show you.

Not all weapons or special attacks are equally effected by these, though. And some special weapons are effective differently than they're expected to be. The Flight Fan is a good example of this. It's a slicer, which fits under the multi-hit category. However the Flight Fan's special is treated as if it was a single-target weapon. It was also discovered that all the S-ranks are treated as single-target weapons, regardless of their native class type.

The twin sabers should technically be listed as 50% because they fall under the dual-hit category (6 hits in 3 attacks). However, since they are all special weapons they may be treated differently. Sounomi obviously proved this to be true of the Double Saber. The list I made was just a generalization, but I suppose I should have only listed basic weapons. So that's my fault.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2004-03-08 00:39 ]</font>