PDA

View Full Version : Can't get on anymore

Zorafin
Mar 8, 2004, 01:31 AM
I used to get online just fine until about a week ago, the I got to the first screen (something about Minhiro? I never paid attention to that) and the game saved. Then, after I press start, nothing happens. After a while, my connection is lost (error 100). I'm using AOL to get online. Can anyone help?

Rich_T
Mar 8, 2004, 12:36 PM
I'm using AOL to get online
that is most likly to be your problem, ift its AOL dial up, it wont work, if its AOL broadband then theres a posibility, read the sticky theres some info on setting up ICS.
It could also be your memory card, if its not an official memory card you may not get passed the welcom to PSO screen, as this is the bit where the servers check your game file and if its not in the right place on the memory card, the servers wont be able to find the save, and youll get stuck there.

Althouhg your main problem is most likly to be AOL.

Zorafin
Mar 8, 2004, 10:48 PM
I have had problems with AOL, but I could always get on one way or the other, and I am using an official Nintendo card. There where times that things happened that where similar to what I said before, but I could get on after trying a few times. I just can't get on anymore... Nice signature, by the way.

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 10:51 PM
you need to describe your setup.

1. Is it dialup or broadband?
2. How is your GC connected?
3. What equipment are you using to connect?

Zorafin
Mar 9, 2004, 01:19 AM
I use AOL dial-up. I connect though internet sharing, and plug a crossover cable into my modem. I get a horrible connection, but it used to work fine (excluding the extreme lag here and there).

Zorafin
Mar 9, 2004, 01:49 AM
Something else is happening now, I can't even get to the minharu page. I'm getting error 102 instead of error 100. I can't even get on to the website with my gamecube anymore. Too couple this, my AOL is very slow lately. Maybe this has something to do with bad connection on my part?

VioletSkye
Mar 9, 2004, 02:52 AM
just out of curiousity, what is the actual download speed you are getting through AOL dialup? Also, are you noticing any significant packet loss?

Rich_T
Mar 9, 2004, 12:34 PM
Also it would be helpful if you put your Geographical location in your profile, Next to a gamecube isnt eaxactly that specific.
Why is this bit of info important?
Well recently AOLs European operations have made a few changes to their network, and these changes have meant that some wok arounds that people used to get round the AOL software, such as internet conection sharing no longer work as well, or in the worst case no longer work at all.
This mainly affected the Broadband conections, but the changes were also made to dial up.

Zorafin
Mar 9, 2004, 04:29 PM
Answering VioletSkye, I don't know my download speed or how to get it, and I don't know what packet loss is either. I'm not much of a computer wiz. And, to answer Rich_T, I live in Florida, U.S.A.

Rich_T
Mar 9, 2004, 05:52 PM
the obvious solution would be to get a broadband ISP that uses normal software (ie not AOl/compuserve)
in the short term, make saure that there is absolotly nothing running on your P.C that is using the internet, if your on winxp press CTRL ALT DEL to bring up the task manager and click on the relavant tabs to see whats going on.
ICS and the gamecube BBA work best with a conection speed higher than standard dial up speeds, it might also be worth trying one of those speed test things just to see how bad your conection realy is.

You could also try calling your ISP to see if they can sort something out at their end.
Some ISPs in the UK have been slowing 'heavy users' conections down on dial up, in an atempt to make them move to a higher product- i wouldnt be surprised if this was being done in every country with ISPs operating.

Zorafin
Mar 11, 2004, 01:17 AM
I can get back to error 100 if I get rid of everything unneeded. I don't know how to do a speed test or call AOL, and switching ISPs isn't much of an option for me (I don't live alone). If I could get a free ISP easily, that would be different, but I doubt I can.

VioletSkye
Mar 11, 2004, 01:22 AM
you can do a speed test and line packet loss test HERE (http://www.broadbandreports.com/tools).

As for a few ISP, you can download Juno (http://www.juno.com/) (sign up for the free 10 hours a month) and then run RASSPY to get the "real" info you would use for PSO (which will also bypass the 10 hour a month limit.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-10 22:25 ]</font>

Zorafin
Mar 12, 2004, 01:00 AM
How did your speed compare?
your download «18 kbps

your upload «21 kbps

ugh «33.6k modem download speed

ugh «typical 56k modem download speed

bearable «dual channel ISDN

ok «IDSL

ok «150k Video Stream

ok «Fastest multiplayer games

ok «192k 'near CD quality' MP3

ok «300k Video Stream

bearable (half megabit not shown)
ok (1mbit barrier not shown)
fast (2mbit barrier not shown)
very fast (3mbit barrier not shown)
dude! (5mbit barrier not shown)

I can't understand a word that says, I'm hoping I can get some info on this. I clicked on net@access to get the test.
And thank you for the info, but I don't know how to download them successfully (yah, I know, I'm pathetic). I've tried once, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what happened. Perhaps you could help me a bit more?

VioletSkye
Mar 12, 2004, 02:31 AM
18 download is atrocious. I'm sure that has something to do with your problems logging onto the Sega game servers. It might just be that its simply not fast enough. If the minimum speed isn't met to exchange packet info back and forth, you won't be able to log on. I'm gonna take a guess and say your pings are probably through the roof as well which doesn't help either. Try calling AOL to see if there is a newer access number you can try. That may help with your connection.