PDA

View Full Version : Mechgun glitch

Rainbowlemon
Mar 8, 2004, 12:26 PM
I wonder why it is that whenever you whip out mechguns really fast, turn round, and blast and enemy, the bullets always come from miles away, and in the opposite direction...Anyone care to explain? I just got completely hammered by Mericarol because of this goddam delay...I hope it gets fixed for the PC version.

anwserman
Mar 8, 2004, 12:33 PM
The actual bullets?

I know of a similar glitch, where you fire the bullets and they appear from miles away (and not even close to your gun), but they always seem to land.

Hell, the biggest issues I have with guns is ST's target system. Not actually hitting an enemy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PaleKid15
Mar 8, 2004, 12:38 PM
9-shots in rapid succession while the game is loading the weapon causes the delay. It is very annoying and can kill you, but it's pretty funny to kill a delsaber by shooting it from behind without moving or shooting.

drizzle
Mar 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
This happens if you whoot while the weapon model is still being read from disc. The game doesn't know where to put the bullets yet!

anwserman
Mar 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
Ah yes, now I know what you're talking about.
Same glitch happens when you put an action button (e.g. normal, hard or special) on the second button palette and use it, and release the trigger during the attack animation.

It does the attack, but it doesn't hit anything. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 12:54 PM
On 2004-03-08 09:51, drizzle wrote:
This happens if you whoot while the weapon model is still being read from disc. The game doesn't know where to put the bullets yet!

The weapon model isn't being read from the disc. Its already stored in RAM. If you really had to wait while the model loaded from disc, your gaming experience would grind to a halt evertime you switched wepons. Start playing a game and then switch weapons back and forth and you'll see that the disc isn't being accessed at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-08 09:57 ]</font>

PaleKid15
Mar 8, 2004, 01:04 PM
I didn't know GC had ram (not too good with electronic components) Can you use it for anything? Anyway, it's still loading it from somewhere, so it doesn't really matter. My game freezes up temporarily when I switch weapons sometimes, it's just a glitch ST was to lazy to fix or didn't notice. Atleast it's the only one though, right?-LOL!

Butoden
Mar 8, 2004, 01:13 PM
On 2004-03-08 09:26, Antimony wrote:
I wonder why it is that whenever you whip out mechguns really fast, turn round, and blast and enemy, the bullets always come from miles away, and in the opposite direction...Anyone care to explain? I just got completely hammered by Mericarol because of this goddam delay...I hope it gets fixed for the PC version.
You're right, sometimes those bullets don't even land on a moving enemy, first of all because it takes longer for them to arrive at the enemy's position and he could already have moved!!

It's not fixed on PC(the old DC Version, whatever it is... V1?)

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 01:14 PM
Here is a LINK (http://ggn3.tripod.com/gc_specs.html) that details the GC specs.

My game never freezes temporarily to load any weapons. If you mean online then I suppose it could be due to the info waiting to reach the server, but its definitely not being read off the disc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-08 10:22 ]</font>

gallaugher
Mar 8, 2004, 01:43 PM
On 2004-03-08 10:13, Butoden wrote:

It's not fixed on PC(the old DC Version, whatever it is... V1?)

It's almost identical to the DC version 2.

PaleKid15
Mar 8, 2004, 01:55 PM
On 2004-03-08 10:14, VioletSkye wrote:
Here is a LINK (http://ggn3.tripod.com/gc_specs.html) that details the GC specs.

My game never freezes temporarily to load any weapons. If you mean online then I suppose it could be due to the info waiting to reach the server, but its definitely not being read off the disc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-08 10:22 ]</font>

Nope, offline only. It's my equivelent of lag.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 8, 2004, 02:19 PM
Hmm...If it freezes, maybe you have a faulty game? Anyway, I'm talking about when you shoot sometimes and it takes ages to arrive where it was supposed to. Also, as the bullets usually appear from the side, it acts as if you shot from the side, meaning it misses the enemy you are tying to hit. (i'm convinced that accuracy is lowered when tying to hit a sideways moving target - e.g. a rappy running across your screen)

Kuea
Mar 8, 2004, 02:24 PM
yeah i love doing that with my weapons.
But you miss i always hit the enemy when i do that. + it can happen with other guns too try it with a rifle/handgun and a shot the same thing happens

Butoden
Mar 8, 2004, 02:32 PM
On 2004-03-08 11:24, Gajeh wrote:
But you miss i always hit the enemy when i do that. + it can happen with other guns too try it with a rifle/handgun and a shot the same thing happens True, true. Did anyone try it with a Frozen shooter? It penetrates right? Would be funny to see a penetrated attack from a different side => actually using it to your advantage to hit multiple enemies...

LoreSeeker
Mar 8, 2004, 03:03 PM
On 2004-03-08 11:32, Butoden wrote:

On 2004-03-08 11:24, Gajeh wrote:
But you miss i always hit the enemy when i do that. + it can happen with other guns too try it with a rifle/handgun and a shot the same thing happens True, true. Did anyone try it with a Frozen shooter? It penetrates right? Would be funny to see a penetrated attack from a different side => actually using it to your advantage to hit multiple enemies...

Frozen Shooter doesn't penetrate, but Snow Queen does. And yeah, that might be pretty useful if you learned how to do it right.

drizzle
Mar 8, 2004, 03:20 PM
On 2004-03-08 09:54, VioletSkye wrote:
The weapon model isn't being read from the disc. Its already stored in RAM. If you really had to wait while the model loaded from disc, your gaming experience would grind to a halt evertime you switched wepons. Start playing a game and then switch weapons back and forth and you'll see that the disc isn't being accessed at all.
</font>

Hmm. I'm fairly positive that I hear the disc being accessed often when I switch weapons. Maybe they're cached so repeated switching doesn't work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
And why would it grind to a halt? GC is perfectly capable of loading data in the background (also see Metroid Prime for a good example).
Anyway I get the same effect with other weapons too, it's not just mechguns.

VioletSkye
Mar 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
On 2004-03-08 12:20, drizzle wrote:

On 2004-03-08 09:54, VioletSkye wrote:
</font>

Hmm. I'm fairly positive that I hear the disc being accessed often when I switch weapons. Maybe they're cached so repeated switching doesn't work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
And why would it grind to a halt? GC is perfectly capable of loading data in the background (also see Metroid Prime for a good example).
Anyway I get the same effect with other weapons too, it's not just mechguns.

Let me clearify this for you to alleviate any confusion. The models are of course on the disc, however when you tp down to ragol, the char info is stored in cache so that it can be loaded quickly. The weapon models are in .nj format I believe, although they could be .bml files.

Metroid Prime is not a good example, because although it may load some info in the background for the next area, its not being called on immediately like a weapon switch is (why do you think they have all the doors that need to be openned all over lol.)

Also as I already stated, if you load the game right now and load up a bunch of weapons, tp down to Ragol and switch them repeatedly, you will NOT hear the GC accessing the disc. I suggest you actually TRY THIS first before stating that you "think" the disc is being accessed (which it ISN'T.) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I forgot to answer your question about the game grinding to a halt (which I feel you took too literally.) What I meant was that there would be a noticable pause each time you switched (like the pause you experience online when going to the bank or a shop person, because the data is being retreived from the memory card.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2004-03-08 12:58 ]</font>

heyf00L
Mar 8, 2004, 05:26 PM
This isn't just with mechguns, it's any gun. And the bullets come from the last xyz coordinates that you had the gun equipped. Obviously ST has the load weapon code run before the bullet starting location variables are set.

Logical2u
Mar 8, 2004, 05:35 PM
Mm. Bullets can be directed in any direction if you mess around with the equipping as you fire.

It works with Mechguns, Rifles, I think I've seen a Frozen Shooter to it, and I'm not sure about Handguns.

I did it before with a Yasikmanov, I think it was Yasikmanov 7000. I've done it with Mechguns and online have seen it with Handguns and other things.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 9, 2004, 11:32 AM
On 2004-03-08 14:26, heyf00L wrote:
This isn't just with mechguns, it's any gun. And the bullets come from the last xyz coordinates that you had the gun equipped. Obviously ST has the load weapon code run before the bullet starting location variables are set.

Hmm, exactly what I thought. 'The load weapon code', I thought, 'runs before the starting location variables are set' I thought. You're a mindreader!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antimony on 2004-03-09 08:32 ]</font>

heyf00L
Mar 9, 2004, 12:55 PM
I R teh supp3r genuz!

Reality_Check
Mar 9, 2004, 02:43 PM
On 2004-03-09 09:55, heyf00L wrote:
I R teh supp3r genuz!

BAD GRAMMER OVERLOAD!

Actually, I was wondering why that happened myself. Thanks.

LoreSeeker
Mar 9, 2004, 04:55 PM
On 2004-03-09 11:43, Reality_Check wrote:

On 2004-03-09 09:55, heyf00L wrote:
I R teh supp3r genuz!

BAD GRAMMER OVERLOAD!

Actually, I was wondering why that happened myself. Thanks.

Yes, his grammer was quite messed up, thanks for pointing that out. It's spelled grammar, moron, get it right before you start messing with people about theirs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LoreSeeker on 2004-03-09 13:56 ]</font>