PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue

Rainbowlemon
Mar 8, 2004, 04:05 PM
Why does this game seem so unappreciated?

When I first set my eyes on it, I was SO impressed with the graphics and the sheer detail of the models (This is whilst it was still only on the dreamcast), and from there I was completely hooked with the game. But even so, it seems so unpopular wherever I look. Am I dillusional?

I personally can't wait until the third and final chapter. The second was extremely captivating, and at some points (For example, that single moment when you perform the counter elbow assault on Don Niu) I experienced shivers down my spine from simply observing. I just hope the third will live up to my expectations!

So, I would just like to say, if you are a fan of the Japanese culture, have an interest in games with deep, meaningful storylines, or simply fancy kicking butt with style, then please don't hesitate to divulge yourself. It is an amazing game, and would just like more people to have experienced its 'greatness'.

- Antimony

Outrider
Mar 8, 2004, 05:13 PM
It's one of the many games on Dreamcast that I plan on getting one of these days.

Ugh, I have so many games to play... I'm backed so far up, I have games on the SNES to beat.

hollowtip
Mar 8, 2004, 05:16 PM
There seems to be a double standard people have set that has really alienated the experience this game brings to the user. The same people that like to critique the involved storyline and heavy social atmosphere the game immerses the player in, will praise the likes of a series such as the Metal Gear franchise.

Although I do agree that the game was a little to heavy on conversing with the fellow towns people, half (or even longer) of every Metal Gear Solid gaming experience involves watching Snake converse with another character via a codec device and cinematic cutscenes, yet everyone praises the game. Not saying that the Metal Gear franchise is a bad one, just trying to provide an example on how fickle the gaming community can be, and trusting via word of mouth can really let quality games slip through the cracks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2004-03-08 14:17 ]</font>

OutlawofRagol
Mar 8, 2004, 06:43 PM
Shenmue is my favorite game series... I thought I was the only one who actually liked it and bothered to beat the second game. Did you happen to think the ending of Shenmue II was a little farfetched? I did, but it was still awesome. Finally being able to know what the mirrors are and what not... talking to Sha Hua on that 2 hour long walk got pretty annoying though... I went through everything she had to say... man am I a loser.

Kiara
Mar 8, 2004, 08:01 PM
Shenmue was awesome! I love how they put so much thought into the story and the events. It always leaves you guessing at what's gonna happen next. The characters were amazing to. So many colorful people, like Ren. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Part 2 was kinda cliche in a couple areas though.

When is the 3rd game coming out? Anyone know?

navci
Mar 8, 2004, 08:14 PM
Ryo > j00

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OutlawofRagol
Mar 8, 2004, 09:12 PM
Sega-AM2 hasn't exactly announced Shenmue 3 yet. Sales on Shenmue II were so poor that Sega is keeping really quiet on the 3rd one. I've heard that it might be a movie rather than a game. Yu Suzuki (thats his name right?) says that he wants to finish the story, so if Sega won't let him make the last game, he's doing a movie.... I want a game though...

derBauer
Mar 8, 2004, 09:51 PM
I played the second one until the point I had to play some game that reminded me of Plinko from the Price is Right.

I then sold that piece of shit on eBay.

_Sinue_
Mar 9, 2004, 01:09 AM
Um.. you never HAVE to play Plinko. If you need cash, there's far better gambling establishments with bigger payouts. You just do it Leisure Suit Larry 1 style and save after every win - reload the game after every loss. A bit of a pain, but on the good tables you only need to win about 10 games and you're set for cash for the rest of the game.

Shenmue is one of my favorite game series, because it (Gasp) is actually more of an adventure title than it's advertised RPG genre. Rather than having item puzzles (which you ocassionally do) you're figuring out dialouge puzzles. Although poor by conventional adventure standards, it's distinctive as being probably the single best adventure game ever released on consoles due to it's gameplay engine which enhanced gameplay rather than encumbering it like so many others do. (Resident Evil, for example, still suffers from poor control which has been passed down in "Survival Horror" adventure games since Alone in the Dark debuted on the PC over 10 years ago.)

I was a little dissapointed by the increased focus on combat in Shenmue II, but it still managed to become one of the best games available on the Dreamcast - and of this generation. Surpassing even Shenmue I in nearly all aspects.. which is quite a feat.

I can understand why some people aren't into the series. It was an adventure game advertised as an RPG. Adventures aren't for everyone, and if you bought it with the understanding that it was an RPG - you're not going to be getting what you paid for.

hollowtip
Mar 9, 2004, 01:32 AM
On 2004-03-08 22:09, _Sinue_ wrote:

I can understand why some people aren't into the series. It was an adventure game advertised as an RPG. Adventures aren't for everyone, and if you bought it with the understanding that it was an RPG - you're not going to be getting what you paid for.

Well technically, it supposedly created a new F.R.E.E. (Free Reactive Eyes Entertainment) genre according to the developers, but was really an Action Adventure RPG at heart.

Guile
Mar 9, 2004, 02:47 AM
I loved the game! I still search for it every game store I go to....

navci
Mar 9, 2004, 03:09 AM
I remember when I was playing Shenmue one at one point you need a light bulb.

Next time me and bro were in the grocery store and I said to bro, did we need to buy a light bulb? I seem to remember we need a light bulb. Then Bro kindly reminded me that we didn't need a light bulb, Ryo did.

Yes.

SorceressofTime
Mar 9, 2004, 03:18 AM
aahhhh the shenmue games are great (even though ive seen part one) and love it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif how can anyone diss those games? whoever does must have REALLY good reasons. if not, they're insolent assholes who deserve to be in a grave.

in part 1, there was this one part that i cant remember a mobile number but someone here (who prob doesn't go here anymore) might still know it. ahh that was funny.

Armok
Mar 9, 2004, 06:22 AM
I remember beating that fat guy at the end of shenmue 2. He was so easy. I had my techique mastered and everything. That was the beut thing about shen you got better at the moves u used the most so could kind of create your only type of attacks. Mine involved alot of counter and throw moves.

_Sinue_
Mar 9, 2004, 08:48 AM
Well technically, it supposedly created a new F.R.E.E. (Free Reactive Eyes Entertainment) genre according to the developers, but was really an Action Adventure RPG at heart.

F.R.E.E is just a buzzword. Just like Survival Horror, Blast Processing, and such. It's a gimic to give an old genre a new twist and hopefully sell some copies on the premise that it's "New" and "Revolutionary". As for what I'd classify it as.. I'd say it was more Adventure/Action since unlike alot of Action/Adventures - Shenmue just didn't have the pace to put it in that category. Even though fighting scenes and QTE's were bumped up considerably in the second game, you still spent about 80% of your time walking around talking to people, following dialouge paths, collecting items, and solving the ocassional puzzle.

I don't believe Shenmue should ever have been classified as an RPG. The "light" RPG elements it does have are in NO way a major part of the game. This is pretty evident because it ONLY pertains to your fighting skills. There are no "Stats" to increase.. no HP gains.. no nothing, except picking moves from a list and practicing them to build your own fighting style. You don't even have to actually practice - as there's the option to auto-train Ryo (with NO player involvement) before he goes to sleep each night.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 9, 2004, 11:11 AM
On 2004-03-09 05:48, _Sinue_ wrote:
You don't even have to actually practice - as there's the option to auto-train Ryo (with NO player involvement) before he goes to sleep each night.

I believe that was an option only available in Shenmue 1. For the second one, whenever a move is used, the bar goes up a tiny bit. With time, if you only used one move over and over (In my case, elbow assault), it eventually maxed out, and dealt a LOT of damage. One hit from my elbow assault could take down half an enemy's HP - That was the whole beauty of the fighting element. You could become a master at one or two moves, and kick everyone's ass http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Also, that last part with Shenhua was in my opinion one of the best parts. Lying in bed at night, listening to what she has to say, soaking up her story and the surroundings, was a wonderful experience, which made me finally think this game is 'un-genreable', as there are so many different elements to it, it is impossible to label it as one or the other.

Moo2u
Mar 9, 2004, 05:44 PM
Certain games sometimes cross over from just a game into a work of art. Shenmue, in my opinion, crosses that line.

I haven't played Shenmue II, as I do not have a X-box, but Shenmue for the DC was another incredible Dreamcast game that doesn't get enough credit. I've played that game over and over again. It's like reading your favorit book over again, and seeing new things every time.

OutlawofRagol
Mar 9, 2004, 09:44 PM
I beat Shenmue 2 without realizing I was advancing my moves with every battle... and going back to where someone was talking about having to play plinko... I think there was a part where you were actually forced to play it and you had to take over a stand for some guy and try not to lose all his money. I can't seem to recall though... I think I missed alot that Shenmue II had to offer because I didn't buy the strategy guide for 2 and just played it through as I thought I should. Great game though... I can't wait for Shenmue III to be announced... even if it is just a movie I'll still be hyped.

hollowtip
Mar 11, 2004, 12:38 AM
On 2004-03-09 05:48, _Sinue_ wrote:

F.R.E.E is just a buzzword. Just like Survival Horror, Blast Processing, and such. It's a gimic to give an old genre a new twist and hopefully sell some copies on the premise that it's "New" and "Revolutionary".

Yes I realize this, that's why I said supposedly.

Kiara
Mar 11, 2004, 01:11 AM
Shenmue, indeed, was a masterpiece. Even if it does only come out as a movie, it'll be one of those movies you keep coming back to see until it's out of the theater. I couldn't get enough of all the fight scenes, and the QTE scenes were usually very interesting especially the very lengthy one where you have to save the guy with information on the old man your looking for.

On 2004-03-09 14:44, Moo2u wrote:
Certain games sometimes cross over from just a game into a work of art. Shenmue, in my opinion, crosses that line.

I haven't played Shenmue II, as I do not have a X-box, but Shenmue for the DC was another incredible Dreamcast game that doesn't get enough credit. I've played that game over and over again. It's like reading your favorit book over again, and seeing new things every time.

You definitely should give it a try. See if one of your friends is willing to swap your PS2 for their Xbox for the weekend or something http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif