PDA

View Full Version : Battle rank

Moleman
Mar 8, 2004, 10:14 PM
I've been very frustrated by how difficult it is to get a good rank.

I'm pretty new to the game, but it seems odd to me that I've only twice gotten anything as high as a B.
I'm more commonly getting Cs, or C+s.

I read the guide with the calculation formula, but it's a little hard to apply.

Is it best to let them set more cards to deal damage to, or to kill them as quick as possible to minimize the number of turns?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Link00seven
Mar 8, 2004, 10:30 PM
I usually get C's and C-'s. I dont know how the rank system works to be honest...I just dont worry about it. :-/

Saiffy
Mar 8, 2004, 11:12 PM
if i get an A-Rank im pretty happy, if i get an E-Rank i say to myself "Darn, gotta try harder" and maybe one day ill get an S-Rank

But yeah i don't usually worry about trying to get high ranks

badbitz
Mar 8, 2004, 11:17 PM
I usually get a C+, and rarely higher or lower.

phArcotiX
Mar 8, 2004, 11:47 PM
I typically get Bs, or C+s. A/S are pretty uncommon, for me

xSmacx
Mar 9, 2004, 01:11 AM
On 2004-03-08 19:30, Linkooseven wrote:
I usually get C's and C-'s. I dont know how the rank system works to be honest...I just dont worry about it. :-/

You can't get c-s buddy

Mixfortune
Mar 9, 2004, 05:08 AM
I've gotten S a few times in offline story and offline multiplayer. It seems like the best way to get higher ranks is to just take as little damage on your story character, piling on the defense cards, and using kill boost cards, like Nano Dragon. If you can take out Hunter items with the Nano Dragon alone, you can increase your AP each turn while destroying more items. Since they need their own AP to equip items, COM characters usually can't get all their hits in. That and you may want a backup low damage/cost item or creature to distract the COM defense cards.

Making COM chars block a 1 AP hit with Guard (+4) allows you to get full damage in with your higher AP output damage fiends http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The two times I've gotten S Battle Rank I used a Chaos Sorcerer, gave out 130+ damage and took about 30...

Also, set up combos! Max combo can play a nice chunk of the Battle Ranking sometimes.

The quickest way to getting an E is by winning with your SC (Story Character) down to 5 or less HP. Definitely a Battle Rank killer there.

Number of turns doesn't seem to matter as much as the damage given : damage taken ratio, so you can get away with dragging out the fight so long as you take minimal damage while taking advantage of specials like Guard Demolisher and other such things.

Moleman
Mar 9, 2004, 07:09 AM
Does the damage part include damage to items/creatures?

Mixfortune
Mar 9, 2004, 12:16 PM
On 2004-03-09 04:09, Moleman wrote:
Does the damage part include damage to items/creatures?

Yes.

EDIT- It also counts overkill damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-03-09 09:17 ]</font>

MightyMule
Mar 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
So far I am averaging around a C+ but I did get an S-rank in an offline multiplayer quest. Myself and my brother both swore we got ane rank performance and were shocked to see that we got an S.

Also does it matter what your teamates do or is it based purely off of your characters gameplay?

Megadoomer
Mar 9, 2004, 03:25 PM
I am pretty sure it doesnt matter how your teamate does it just depends on how well you do. I've gotten an S rank when I just barely saved my teamate 3 HP =P

RoninJoku
Mar 9, 2004, 06:14 PM
i think it deals more with damage then time... Because this one match in offline multiplayer my brother was trying to get off a huge combo on my friend to see how much damage we could do. (we were all cooperating to get the combo off.)

But anyway while my brother tried to get the right cards in his hand to perform the combo, my friend (who was arkz) and myself (Hunter) duked it out for awhile. He made sure not to kill my character to be nice and I made sure not to kill his so the match wouldnt end.

But during the match I racked up a gigantic damage given over damage recieved ratio and acheived an A+ rank, even though the match lastet over an hour with a LOT of turns taken...

subzero1313
Mar 9, 2004, 06:50 PM
I've gotten quite a few S ranks.

To me you need to do a few high damage attacks, get a lot of XP, and not let your opponent get any XP...

-Nate[/color]

punkasssss
Mar 9, 2004, 08:23 PM
I got an S rank offline once, I destroyed amny of my opponents cards, while having none of my cards destroyed.