PDA

View Full Version : Xbox live

goku4ever
Mar 10, 2004, 12:22 PM
I have an xbox. I want xbox live my my dad wont let me have xbox live so i need a way to somehow connect the xbox to the pcs internet. the pc is in the study on the opposite side of upstairs. Any ideas how it can be done without him knowing?

Solstis
Mar 10, 2004, 12:33 PM
If you were exceptionally sneaky, and your dad quite blind, you could run cable up to the pc.

Though you woulnd't have xbox live anyway, and only be able to play SOME xbox games via gamespy tunnel.

Now... if you a hub and a wireless network set-up...

goku4ever
Mar 10, 2004, 12:35 PM
i meant hook it up properly so i did have xbox live is there any way to do that without him knowing?

Solstis
Mar 10, 2004, 12:41 PM
No, because you need a credit card to get xbox live. I think he might notice that.

goku4ever
Mar 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
o yea i thought id missed out one factor

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 10, 2004, 01:38 PM
Don't forget that even if you DID have a credit card to pay for Xbox Live!, you'd still need to have broadband to even connect to it, not to mention that to accomplish what you're talking about, your pop's computer would have to have an extra ethernet jack available on it, and would have to be configured to share the broadband connection.

Xbox Live! requires broadband, and will take up as much of the connection as it can suck away.

If you're on dial-up however, sharing internet services from the computer could be easier (though you'd still have to know how to do it), and your best bet would be to look into using GameSpy's tunnel software.

derBauer
Mar 11, 2004, 12:14 AM
Don't bother risking it. You can live without Xbox Live, and if you do try to do it sneaky, you might F something up.
Ask to have it as a bday present, or for getting straight A's or something.

Just don't do it without his permission. Not having Xbox live won't hurt you.

Zolpner
Mar 11, 2004, 12:28 AM
Im still alive (probably only reason im not Live is lack of Live games(and a 40 meter ethernet cable) but oh well). It would not be worth losing all privlages over. If you know your dads reason for not wanting you to have it, you should have more respect for the fact he dosn't want you to have it (unless he said "Because" or "Because I don't want to pay for it").

Edit: oh and if the reason is that he dosn't want a cord running all over the house or not wanting you in the study all the time, suggest putting the ethernet cable through the wall.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zolpner on 2004-03-10 21:29 ]</font>

goku4ever
Mar 11, 2004, 10:32 AM
he doesnt give me any reason at all even when i say ill pay for all costs of xbox live! There is literally no reason y he wont let me.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 11, 2004, 11:24 AM
He's your father. Just that he doesn't want you to have it should be reason enough. He supplies you with the comforts that you do have as well as being responsible for your well-being.

When you come to the point where you're supplying everything for yourself (food, shelter, luxuries), then it'll be entirely your own choice, and your parents will have no say in the matter. Until such a time however, they've made a judgement and you remain under their authority.

If you do want to persuade him, consider the following:
1.) Perhaps he does not correctly understand what Xbox Live! is.
2.) Perhaps he does not believe that you can afford to pay for it.
3.) Perhaps he does not believe that you are mature enough to handle the communities involved in online gaming.

Solution 1.) Be sure to let him know exactly what it is. Grab a flier for it from a local games shop, or something.
Solution 2.) Save up the entire price of 1 year's subscription for Xbox Live!, including the price of the Starter Kit, and present this to your father in one lump-sum, when asking for it.
3.) Behave more maturely in general. Think before speaking, do chores without being asked, and be sure to get your homework done as a first priority when you get home.

Remember though, you will need broadband to access Xbox Live!. If you lack broadband, then don't even try.

goku4ever
Mar 11, 2004, 02:42 PM
thx but he knows i could afford it (i earn £21 a week), i already act mature, he just doesnt realise it.

ABDUR101
Mar 11, 2004, 03:33 PM
Trying to sneak getting X-box LIVE so he won't realise it isn't really that mature. You're not accepting what your father has said.

Explain to him what it is, what all you can do, and hopefully let him know that it won't effect anything, it's just another thing that you get to use to play games and so on. It's a simple explanation, but if he still says no, then you just have to deal with it, no one else is going to change his mind.

And if you do sneak it and get it by some odd chance, and he finds out(which he most assuredly will since it'll be on his credit card), then trust will be lost and then you'll have a lot of fun.

Your choice?