PDA

View Full Version : Stored up rants

PaleKid15
Mar 10, 2004, 12:43 PM
When replying to these rants, please indicate by # which one you are commenting on. Thank you.

Rant #1-
Adolescents have really crappy rights. We have the right to go to school (no choice), the right to listen to adults (no choice), and the right to be alive (against the law to try and kill yourself). Wow, those are some great rights, huh? Everything about a young persons life is dictated to them. Your parents have the final say on everything in your life. Thus, screwed up parents produce screwed up kids. And there are alot of screwed up people. The U.S. constitution states that all men are created equal. This is considered to include all races, and women. But, will it ever be extended to young people? Doubtful. I realize that at a young age, you may not be capable of deciding what is in your best interest, but as a teenager, you should get atleast a few good civil rights. One of the reasons I am almost constantly angry is that I have the mental ability of an adult (actually more than some), yet my opinions are regarged as tht of a child, and thus make no impact on society or my parents decisions. Discuss.

Rant #2-
It is very hard to be smart and happy at the same time. I choose smart. I think too much and thus cannot really enjoy life. I think about the middle east and what horrible stuff involvig it will happen next. I think about all of the stupid things the governments of the world are doing. I also think about less imortant matters. I have my own theory of time travel. I am working on a mathmatic formula that can replace Pi (it has infinite decimal places and thus cannot be used to determine the exact circumfrence or area of a circle/cone/sphere or cylinder). I think about all of the technological advancements the world is making and the consequences of them. I AM 15 (almost 16) years old! Why the hell do I have to think/care about this stuff? Bottom line, it sucks to be smart (atleast at my age. Discuss.

Rant #3-
I have a very small range of emotions. I am always either angry or depressed about something. And usually the depression quickly turns to anger. I am never really happy. Sure, I have fun every once in a while, and I enjoy comedy. But during those times, I am also angry at something else. It is impossible for me to go to sleep before 3 in the morning because I just can't stop thinking about evrything. It really sucks. Bah... I'll finish this rant later. I'm too angry now... Discuss.

OMGWTFBBQ
Mar 10, 2004, 02:03 PM
Don't worry, you'll get past all that when you reach adulthood.

Don't worry, you'll get past all that when you're through puberty.

Or you could take the easy way, and kill yourself. But then again, you're not allowed to kill yourself. Life just plain sucks, heh?

KaFKa
Mar 10, 2004, 02:13 PM
#1: meh, life sucks as a minor, get used to it

#2: i manage to be intelligent and moderately content with my existance. find yourself a girl you like. believe me, thats one thing that one cant live without (wether or not you've hitten pubetry yet i dont know)

#3: see #2, you just seem to have mild depression, i had that too when i was your age

navci
Mar 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
I tell you what suck more: a dependent adult. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I have no advice. Kafka gave them all.

Nai_Calus
Mar 10, 2004, 02:32 PM
The worst age group is 18-21. Seriously. You're too old to be allowed to go to 'youth' things, and too young to go to 'adult' things, because of alcohol. I remember mom dragging me on a cruise back when I was 19. I couldn't go to the teenager parties, because I was too old, and I couldn't go to the adult ones, because I was too young. Normally, I don't socialize at all anyway and hate that sort of thing, but when there's nothing to do -other- than go dance somewhere... Yeah, it gets really freaking annoying.

I hear you on the 'kids have no rights' thing. It sucks ass, doesn't it? >_< Thank god I'm 21 this year.

anwserman
Mar 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
Well, since I'm in a rush... I'll comment about #3.

I'm the exact same way. I worry about stuff that should have no meaning in my life, or have no impact. Honestly, somebody else's problem will eat at me to the point until I honestly spaz, become all moody and to the point where I starve myself. Cheerful, huh?

From one who ponders to another, don't think about it. Unless it directly affects you in some way, shape or manner, brush it off. You will probably reply that you can't, but you can. Whenever you think about it, think "It isn't my concern." And preoccupy yourself. Stay busy, get a job. Go hang out with friends... the worst thing to do is to be alone, leaving yourself alone to think. Endlessly. Problem is, you say you think about things and can't sleep until 3AM... just think of good times. Think of good times, and the ones ahead.

But don't worry yourself sick about other people's problems. If it makes you feel any better, if you have more concern about a problem then the persons who problem it is (that sounded bad), then ignore it. Unless its life-threatening, or potentially life-threatening.

Meh.

w00t! 1200 posts! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PaleKid15
Mar 10, 2004, 03:07 PM
Well, for those who don't know and asked, yes I am well into puberty. I however, do not feel that that isthe problem. The problemismyparents have been overprotective of me my entire life, and thus I was unable to do many simple things with my friends. My parents did not "allow" me to cross the street by myself until age 12. I did anyway because that was just stupid. Since I was unable to do anything, I lost more and more friends. Then I moved. I currently have 2 friends. I usually only see each one once a month. On top of having 2 friends, I won't be making any new ones any time soon. Damn chronic sinusitis/deviated septum getting me sick all the time, causing me to be home schooled. Plus, few people at my school share my interests anyway.

Answerman- thanks for the advice, but it doesn't work well for me. The only way to distract myself is to think about something else, but since I can multi-task, I just end up thinking about 2 things at once. The funny thing about being a teenager is that almost all teens have similar problems, but most of us feel like we don't fit in. I usually seem like an emotionless asshole, but that's because I've been thinking about the betterment (not sure if thats a word...) of the world all night. Why can't they just make me president already? Or atleast get Adam Carolla to run for office.
(listen to love line, you'll hear what I'm talking about)
Oh, did I mention that I want to be killed? 15 years of religion being crammed into my brain keeps me from doing it myself.

Skuda
Mar 10, 2004, 03:23 PM
PaleKid15, most of what you rant is quite familiar to me. With #2, I figured out how I think about those problems by taking Biology and Social classes. In Social, you learn about rights,ect and Bio you learn about laws of nature. You'll either choose one to stand by or you'll choose both. me, I kept with teh nature junk. It may sound rediculous and mean to let the poor and helpless die, but it's life. if we help them, it'll only hurt us. Good ol' Darwin.

PaleKid15
Mar 10, 2004, 03:42 PM
Oh, I know about Darwin. And I mostly agree with him. When I say I think/worry about other peoples problems, I don't have any intention of helping them most of the time. I am very anti-tard. I don't know who said this, but I agree with it: "I think the government should legalize drugs. Becase think about it, who does drugs? Stupid people, or those who don't enjoy life. Either way, they should or would like to die." Those who can't make a positive impact on society should not be a part of it. That's why I choose smart over happy. I hate the people who just coast through life, mooching off of the intelligent and useful. Awww crap... now I'm back into "burn the idiots" mode.

Skuda
Mar 10, 2004, 03:50 PM
Awww crap... now I'm back into "burn the idiots" mode.

If there wern't any idiots, we would have a lot less to laugh at. idiots are used as prime comic relief! but usually not. Rowan Atkinson is an absolute genius, but plays a complete bafoon in Mr.Bean. now where whould society be without Mr.Bean?

PaleKid15
Mar 10, 2004, 03:53 PM
On 2004-03-10 12:50, Scott_Kuda wrote:

Awww crap... now I'm back into "burn the idiots" mode.

If there wern't any idiots, we would have a lot less to laugh at. idiots are used as prime comic relief! but usually not. Rowan Atkinson is an absolute genius, but plays a complete bafoon in Mr.Bean. now where whould society be without Mr.Bean?

Many people find humor in stupidity. I just find it sad.

astuarlen
Mar 10, 2004, 04:30 PM
Ah, so very true... But the real question is, "Where would society be without Black Adder"? God bless British comedy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: I actually thought of something relevant to say! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

#2 / #3:
So you're depressed and angry at the world all the time? Well, think of how much worse it could be! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Yeah, it annoys me when people say that when I'm in a funk, but really, it's true. At least you have your sanity? >_> Anyway, we were having a discussion in Brittish Lit a while ago, and a very interesting theory came up. Usually, I consider these things to be totally loony, but there seems to be something to this one... I believe it was William Blake who thought there were three "stages" of life: the age of innocence, the age of experience, and the age of controlled innocence. Basically, the first stage is that of complete contentment and optimism; you think everything is right with the world. In the second stage, you look at life and say, "Gee, this sucks. Life/laws/people/etc are unjust and ridiculous! I can't believe humanity is so stupid! >_<" (Okay, maybe you don't actually say ">_<" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) And finally, there's the third stage. The third stage represents a sort of maturity and balanced outlook on life. Yes, you see the uglier side of the world, but you also realize that there are truly just as many good things. Sure, there's hate/war/crime/dishonesty/corruption/you-name-it, but there's also love/imagination/friendship/honesty/just-plain-good-stuff. All in all, life is worth living. You have to take the bad with the good, and just maybe the good things are more enjoyable because you've seen both sides of the coin. Sounds a bit corny? I know, but I honestly think he was on to something here. That's what I want: balance, harmony, finding the center, contentment. Maybe you're just going through the crappy stage. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Maybe you'll never get out of it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif But if you're smart, I think you'll eventually be able to find out that life's not all that bad. Isn't it odd how the vast majority of people cling so desperately to life? I guess it can't be all that bad, then. (But, of course, you might rather attribute this to fear of the unknown or something... I prefer not to! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
Just one last thing... personally, if I had to choose between being average but happy or intelligent but chronically sad, I'd go with happy. But that's just me. >_> <_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2004-03-10 17:09 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 11, 2004, 01:55 AM
Ok, I do not mean to flame or anything in this post. Simply take it with an open mind.

Get over yourself.

Again... no offense meant.

But seriously. Life can suck a lot. People can suck a lot. Thinking too much can suck a lot. I know it feels that nobody understands you, and you're smarter/better than everyone else, and it's just a pain to do things. (Sure, a little bit of a stretch there, but try and allow me that.) But what does it matter?

Like anwserman said, get a hobby. You came to this site somehow, didn't you? Is it because you're a video game fan? Go play some video games. Meet people. If not people from your area, then try making some friends on the forums. Perhaps go try and contact some people about your mathematical ideas. There are a lot of possibilities out there.

We've all been teenagers. It's really nothing special. Try listening to Linkin Park or one of those other angsty bands... it seems to work for lots of other kids I Know. (Meh... I just wanted to throw in an anti-LP comment. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Armok
Mar 11, 2004, 06:02 AM
looking at your profile your just a couple of years off from 16-21 the best years of your life. Pisses me off that I've only got a week left till 21 arrrg god NO.

PaleKid15
Mar 11, 2004, 12:38 PM
On 2004-03-10 22:55, Outrider wrote:
Ok, I do not mean to flame or anything in this post. Simply take it with an open mind.

Get over yourself.

Again... no offense meant.
But seriously. Life can suck a lot. People can suck a lot. Thinking too much can suck a lot. I know it feels that nobody understands you, and you're smarter/better than everyone else, and it's just a pain to do things. (Sure, a little bit of a stretch there, but try and allow me that.) But what does it matter?Like anwserman said, get a hobby. You came to this site somehow, didn't you? Is it because you're a video game fan? Go play some video games. Meet people. If not people from your area, then try making some friends on the forums. Perhaps go try and contact some people about your mathematical ideas. There are a lot of possibilities out there.

We've all been teenagers. It's really nothing special. Try listening to Linkin Park or one of those other angsty bands... it seems to work for lots of other kids I Know. (Meh... I just wanted to throw in an anti-LP comment. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Hey, no offense or anything, but you are a retarded goat fucker. Doesn't work does it? I have said many times that I am smart, and thus I have tried all of the painfully obvious things mentioned in your post.

Now for the second bold: Hey, you hate everything and everything sucks, what's that? you want to die? So what?- That doesn't really work either. Stupid ass comments like that are what make me hate everyone.

Then the, "We've all been teenagers, it's nothing special."- Wow, that's insightful and intelligent! (note sarcasm) There is a difference between a teenager and an intelligent one. Secondly, THIS IS THE RANTS SECTION OF THE BOARD! The fucking description of this section is "Vent yourself here. Think carefully before you post." I'm doing both and you obviously missed the second half.

PaleKid15
Mar 11, 2004, 12:44 PM
On 2004-03-10 13:30, astuarlen wrote:

Ah, so very true... But the real question is, "Where would society be without Black Adder"? God bless British comedy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: I actually thought of something relevant to say! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

#2 / #3:
So you're depressed and angry at the world all the time? Well, think of how much worse it could be! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Yeah, it annoys me when people say that when I'm in a funk, but really, it's true. At least you have your sanity? >_> Anyway, we were having a discussion in Brittish Lit a while ago, and a very interesting theory came up. Usually, I consider these things to be totally loony, but there seems to be something to this one... I believe it was William Blake who thought there were three "stages" of life: the age of innocence, the age of experience, and the age of controlled innocence. Basically, the first stage is that of complete contentment and optimism; you think everything is right with the world. In the second stage, you look at life and say, "Gee, this sucks. Life/laws/people/etc are unjust and ridiculous! I can't believe humanity is so stupid! >_<" (Okay, maybe you don't actually say ">_<" http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) And finally, there's the third stage. The third stage represents a sort of maturity and balanced outlook on life. Yes, you see the uglier side of the world, but you also realize that there are truly just as many good things. Sure, there's hate/war/crime/dishonesty/corruption/you-name-it, but there's also love/imagination/friendship/honesty/just-plain-good-stuff. All in all, life is worth living. You have to take the bad with the good, and just maybe the good things are more enjoyable because you've seen both sides of the coin. Sounds a bit corny? I know, but I honestly think he was on to something here. That's what I want: balance, harmony, finding the center, contentment. Maybe you're just going through the crappy stage. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Maybe you'll never get out of it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif But if you're smart, I think you'll eventually be able to find out that life's not all that bad. Isn't it odd how the vast majority of people cling so desperately to life? I guess it can't be all that bad, then. (But, of course, you might rather attribute this to fear of the unknown or something... I prefer not to! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)
Just one last thing... personally, if I had to choose between being average but happy or intelligent but chronically sad, I'd go with happy. But that's just me. >_> <_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2004-03-10 17:09 ]</font>

While I appreciate that point of view, I do not feel hat it applies for everyone. And as for the last sentence: I do not like happy stupid people. They make their problems become other peoples problems and coast through life mooching off of intelligent people. I will not become that person.

Outrider
Mar 11, 2004, 01:35 PM
On 2004-03-11 09:38, PaleKid15 wrote:
Hey, no offense or anything, but you are a retarded goat fucker. Doesn't work does it? I have said many times that I am smart, and thus I have tried all of the painfully obvious things mentioned in your post.

Now for the second bold: Hey, you hate everything and everything sucks, what's that? you want to die? So what?- That doesn't really work either. Stupid ass comments like that are what make me hate everyone.

Then the, "We've all been teenagers, it's nothing special."- Wow, that's insightful and intelligent! (note sarcasm) There is a difference between a teenager and an intelligent one. Secondly, THIS IS THE RANTS SECTION OF THE BOARD! The fucking description of this section is "Vent yourself here. Think carefully before you post." I'm doing both and you obviously missed the second half.

Hey, insult me all you want. I really don't mind.

But if you really think you're the first kid to think he's so much smarter than everyone else, you've got a bit of an arrogance problem. Also, it's not rare for people to offer advice in this section. So expect it.

-Luke-
Mar 11, 2004, 01:47 PM
My god. Could you be any more arrogant. You remind me of me...Seriously, I thought I was one of the most arrogant and intolerant people, but you surpass even me. I hate small children. Every time I see one I want to smack them down. For being so fucking stupidly happy. I think too much as well, and I realise I over analyse stuff a lot. I hate people a lot as well, but at least I recognise it as a fault. I know I'm arrogant, I know I am smart, but there are smarter people. I make mistakes as well. I think you like to think you are a lot smarter than you are simply cos you don't tolerate stupid people.

PaleKid15
Mar 11, 2004, 02:46 PM
Ahhh... the joy of an intelligent debate. I fully realize that I am not the first intelligent teenager. However, considering one's self to be smarter than others is not always arrogance, sometimes it is merely stating fact. I do not claim to be smarter or better than everyone. I am merely saying that I am smart and dislike those who are stupid. I don't hate all stupid people, I only hate those who are stupid by choice. I am fully aware that my thoughts and ideas are not politically correct or kind. And I really wish I had a higher tolerance for stupidity (My rant on stupid people from a while ago expained my ideas and this statement). I have no problem recieving advice, but only if it is useful or good advice. I realize that I over-reacted to that post, and I am sorry, but as I said I am very angry and stupidity bothers me. SOme of the things you said were stupid.

flash_fire
Mar 11, 2004, 10:01 PM
I think I'm going to go rant about kids after this post. First though, in response to your post, Life does seem to get you down alot. Like others said, it usually only seems bad. I will admit, there are some intelligent kids, but there are NO experienced kids, they just haven't been alive long enough. To really judge something effectively, you need a wide range of experiences to compare to or your judgment of the situation will be distorted (like most kids thinking the world sucks without really knowing what actually "sucks").

DOG21313
Mar 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
Heh... I'm in AP classes, and get yelled at for getting B's. Joy.

I think too much also, I think about how ignorant people can be. It is dumb that some teens think that the world is crashing down around them because they failed a test or something. Not nearly that. The world is coming to an end for people over in Iraq and other things like that.

Meh, people are scared of me. Im that quiet. The school bully is afraid to pick on me. Heh... I wouldnt be alive today if i didnt have my 2 best friends, my online friends, and my dog.

=( I cant imagine how sad my dawggy would be if i died... heh.

_Sinue_
Mar 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
You know.. I used to work with a kid that your rant reminds me a lot of. He was a high-school student working at Stumps part-time in the "ICE" program. He came into work cocky as hell - thinking he was going to bust his balls and do a good job and get ahead. He planned to go to collage, become an mechanic, and open up his own shop.

What actually happened, was that nearly everyone in the plant hated him for working so hard. After all, that brings the output up and then your employer expects the higher numbers. Many employees were older, and simply couldn't keep up. Many simply didn't want to give 100% - and why should they when the company dicks them over every single chance it gets. Now they're jobs were threatened by some lil high-school jackass who thinks he knows it all?

Eventually he got moved to my area, and I took great pleasure in torturing him because of his nievete. Not long after that, management got shaken up - and the only people protecting him in that plant were moved to different areas. Within two weeks he was fired for taking a 1 minuite break while his partner on the Die Cutter was changing dies. (Which is only a one person job) I on the other hand, who could take off for 3 hours at a time and do whatever while my machine idled - was given a raise.

He had to quit collage since he couldn't afford to maintain his own car. Without a job, and without collage, his mother (also unemployed) lost her government aid except for disability - and his 15 year old younger sister was forced to work at the gas station to help make ends meet.

He lost his job, his car, his girlfriend, his scolarship, and his dreams.

The moral of the story is - life sucks. That's just the way it is. I don't care how special you think you are, you're just going to have to suck it up and deal with it like everyone else does. Learn to roll with the punches.

Personally, you have it so easy right now, I'm almost offended by your complaints of teenage repression. Expecially after blowing up at Outrider for doing nothing more than telling you the truth. All those "rules" and "repressions" you're suffering under are a small price to pay for the free ride you're getting as a minor. Soak that shit up and enjoy it while you can, cause it won't last.

flash_fire
Mar 12, 2004, 10:36 AM
Well said Sinue. I feel bad for that guy who lost his job though. I mean he just wanted to do well. Oh well, intent isn't everything and thats an example of silly idealism.

PaleKid15
Mar 12, 2004, 11:44 AM
On 2004-03-12 07:17, _Sinue_ wrote:
You know.. I used to work with a kid that your rant reminds me a lot of. He was a high-school student working at Stumps part-time in the "ICE" program. He came into work cocky as hell - thinking he was going to bust his balls and do a good job and get ahead. He planned to go to collage, become an mechanic, and open up his own shop.

What actually happened, was that nearly everyone in the plant hated him for working so hard. After all, that brings the output up and then your employer expects the higher numbers. Many employees were older, and simply couldn't keep up. Many simply didn't want to give 100% - and why should they when the company dicks them over every single chance it gets. Now they're jobs were threatened by some lil high-school jackass who thinks he knows it all?

Eventually he got moved to my area, and I took great pleasure in torturing him because of his nievete. Not long after that, management got shaken up - and the only people protecting him in that plant were moved to different areas. Within two weeks he was fired for taking a 1 minuite break while his partner on the Die Cutter was changing dies. (Which is only a one person job) I on the other hand, who could take off for 3 hours at a time and do whatever while my machine idled - was given a raise.

He had to quit collage since he couldn't afford to maintain his own car. Without a job, and without collage, his mother (also unemployed) lost her government aid except for disability - and his 15 year old younger sister was forced to work at the gas station to help make ends meet.

He lost his job, his car, his girlfriend, his scolarship, and his dreams.

The moral of the story is - life sucks. That's just the way it is. I don't care how special you think you are, you're just going to have to suck it up and deal with it like everyone else does. Learn to roll with the punches.

Personally, you have it so easy right now, I'm almost offended by your complaints of teenage repression. Expecially after blowing up at Outrider for doing nothing more than telling you the truth. All those "rules" and "repressions" you're suffering under are a small price to pay for the free ride you're getting as a minor. Soak that shit up and enjoy it while you can, cause it won't last.

OMG... I already know that life sucks. I already know that people are doing alot worse than me. I already know that the world will try it's best to screw everyone over. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the road." I'm a teen, and it sucks. Your adults, and that sucks. I know these things. Many of you are misconstruing my statements to be, "I can't wait to grow up!" And that is not the case. As I have said multiple times, I can't wait to die (but I won't commit suicide). It's anoying enough for me to exist, so I don't know what kind of job I could get. I'll either get rich somehow or I'm probably screwed. I really don't see what i have in common with the person in your story. They were hard working, and I am very lazy (hence thinking, and not doing). This is the rant section, and I ranted. 90% of the replies were screw you, get over it, or what's your problem. The other 10% equated to information I already had and advice I have already taken ad didn't work.

flash_fire
Mar 12, 2004, 01:14 PM
I could offer you a bad solution to your problem. Many people turn to various drugs to solve their problems when life gets them down. Hah that reminds me of an awesome book everyone should have read titled "A Brave New World" where the people always took a drug called Soma to make them feel better. If that doesn't work try looking up some porn and giving in to some natural male adolescent urges...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: flash_fire on 2004-03-12 10:17 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Mar 13, 2004, 02:15 AM
Many of you are misconstruing my statements to be, "I can't wait to grow up!"

I was never under that impression. I, and many others, took your rant for what it was. You were bitching because life sucked. What we're telling you, is that it will suck MORE as you get older. Unless you change your attitude and, as I said, learn to roll with the punches and make the best out of it - you probably will end up commiting suicide or becoming one of those "Druggies" you hate so much. I'm not even talking about illegal narcotics - I'm talking about drugs perscribed to you by a shrink just so you can function in society.

Despite what you might think, intelligence does not negate happiness. While it's true that ignorance is bliss in most cases, it isn't always like that. These aren't properties of the human psyche that are set in stone.

Intelligence is only truely useful when tempered with wisdom - and while you may have more than enough intelligence, you are definately not wise or else you would see the folly of your thinking. Wisdom comes with life experience - it's knowing how and when to apply that intelligence in a useful manner. You simply don't have enough life experience yet.

Maybe you'll see in time what people here are actually trying to tell you.

RicoRoyal
Mar 13, 2004, 03:33 AM
On 2004-03-12 23:15, _Sinue_ wrote:

I was never under that impression. I, and many others, took your rant for what it was. You were bitching because life sucked. What we're telling you, is that it will suck MORE as you get older. Unless you change your attitude and, as I said, learn to roll with the punches and make the best out of it - you probably will end up commiting suicide or becoming one of those "Druggies" you hate so much. I'm not even talking about illegal narcotics - I'm talking about drugs perscribed to you by a shrink just so you can function in society.

Despite what you might think, intelligence does not negate happiness. While it's true that ignorance is bliss in most cases, it isn't always like that. These aren't properties of the human psyche that are set in stone.

Intelligence is only truely useful when tempered with wisdom - and while you may have more than enough intelligence, you are definately not wise or else you would see the folly of your thinking. Wisdom comes with life experience - it's knowing how and when to apply that intelligence in a useful manner. You simply don't have enough life experience yet.

Sinue, you took the words right out from under me. What you said was wonderfully articulated into words that I hope many will be able to comprehend. Kudos!

I'm absolutely certain that at this point many people are more concerned with making you, palekid, understand what Sinue has already expressed in previous posts. I know the boat probably already left, but here goes anyways in regards to your original three rants....

Your first rant about adolescent rights is ,as far as I'm concerned, perfectly valid. No more than two months ago, I completed a research paper on Juvenile Curfew Laws. While my stance was not to do away with them, I still believed they needed to be revised. I came across substantial statistical information that showed absolutely no positive outcomes from stricter Juvenile Curfew Laws. My point? Simply put, you are correct. What many consider to be an adult (18/21) is often times not the case. Juveniles are given only quasi-fundamental right. They are not believed to have the same mental capacity of a full grown adult. That whole thought process is, in itself, a HUGE stereotype. But then, aren't all laws? The age of 18 was chosen as the transition between adolescens and adulthood because it would appear that the average person would ,by that point in their life, have a better understanding of how to correctly function in society (through what many have already mentioned, EXPERIENCE). I personally believe that in today's world, laws could easily be adjusted to consider most 16 year-olds as "adults". But what would the average population of 16-18 year olds gain from this? Nothing. They would gain "freedom" from the bondages of being someones child. But is that really so beneficial for those 16-18 year-olds? Perhaps it is, in YOUR case (again, I don't know much about you, nor do I care to know), but for a the average 16-18 year-old, the burdons of being an adult far outweigh those of being a juvenile. So to summarize, you and a few other people, are the rare exceptions to the average adolescent. Majority (the average) rules. Tough luck, you lose this one for now. You have a perfect excuse to be angry, but because there is currently nothing you can do about it, it is best that you put it in the back of your mind for the time being. Perhaps in the future you could be a contributing factor in creating some sort of reform. What's important is that you not lose sight of you very opinionated views, but that you also not let the issue consume you at this point in time.

You think but you do not act. This leads me to think that perhaps there is something holding you back (perhaps the fact that you are still underage?). By not acting on your thoughts, you instead choose (involuntarily) to repress them. This will leed anyone (regardless of age) to become angry within themselves. That's why rants exist. It's a form of venting. It is very encouragable that you continue to express your thoughts an opinions in public. These forums are great for just that. So you say you have your own theory of time travel? If what you say is true, ask yourself just what exactly it is that you would do if your theory really did work? Would you travel to the past to change something, or would you travel to the future to learn something? What exactly would you do? What is the significance of your time travel theory? Do you speak of it only so that you can demonstrate to us that you are indeed smart? Just because you have a theory, does not in anyway make you smart. It does however have some larger psycological meaning behind it (try answering some of the above questions and I might then be able to explain to you the significane of it all). I do not feel like starting a mathematical argument in regards to your talk of Pi, and so I will simply move along. It does not "suck" to be smart, as you say you are. It does however suck to not be able to do anything with your own alleged intelligence. Your simply not being challenged enough. This is again very closely related to your being underage. There are options out there for people who wish to learn as you do. However, you mention that you are lazy. This may sound harsh (and please, I encourage flaming), but if your so smart, then get off your ass and do something that could be considered smart!!! While you sit here and rant, you show that you are so inexperienced in life (which is why you are still considered an adolescent), that even with all the smarts (a form of power) in the world that you claim to have, you are not capable of using that power for anything productive. Funny, if you serve no purpose, why then continue to live? Perhaps, you are no different than the people you believe should overdose because they serve no purpose in life.

Drepression leading to anger, huh? This is not an issue that should be overlooked simply because you are going through puverty. If you truly believe that your erratic behaviorial patterns are so severe, then I suggest you seek medical treatment. Yes, pills. Your entire rant #3 does nothing more than give the symptoms of already well-documented, treatable mental disorders. Chuck some pills and you'll be fine. No more anger, and best of all, lots of sleep.

I urge you to carefully review everything that Sinue wrote. If you cannot comprehend (or simply do not want to comphrend) what Sinue is trying to tell you, then you prove, beyond a doubt that you are infact still nothing more than an adolescent. You are simply in denial because you do not seem to truly understand what being an adult means. You have misinterpreted intellegence as being the same as wisdom. Quasi-fundamental rights were given to juveniles because they lack WISDOM, NOT because they lack intellegence, as you seem to believe. While you speak of commiting suicide and of being angry at the world, there are real life adults who are striving to make this world a better place. They know the odds of success. In a world ruled by inferior mammals (the majority of humanity), a few stand out above the rest. They are however outnumbered so greatly, that the chances of sucess in making this world a better place simply do not exist. Will that always be the case? Yes and No. If you continue in your quest for self-destruction, then everything that those few individuals achieve will have been for nothing. You and other individuals such as yourself (assuming you truly are as smart as you claim to be) are the only ones capable of carrying on what the those special individuals have helped start in their lifetimes. I wish you the best of luck in life, and I again ask you to see the error of your ways before it is to late.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RC4 on 2004-03-13 00:55 ]</font>

PaleKid15
Mar 13, 2004, 04:10 PM
On 2004-03-13 00:33, RC4 wrote:

On 2004-03-12 23:15, _Sinue_ wrote:

Sinue, you took the words right out from under me. What you said was wonderfully articulated into words that I hope many will be able to comprehend. Kudos!

I'm absolutely certain that at this point many people are more concerned with making you, palekid, understand what Sinue has already expressed in previous posts. I know the boat probably already left, but here goes anyways in regards to your original three rants....

Your first rant about adolescent rights is ,as far as I'm concerned, perfectly valid. No more than two months ago, I completed a research paper on Juvenile Curfew Laws. While my stance was not to do away with them, I still believed they needed to be revised. I came across substantial statistical information that showed absolutely no positive outcomes from stricter Juvenile Curfew Laws. My point? Simply put, you are correct. What many consider to be an adult (18/21) is often times not the case. Juveniles are given only quasi-fundamental right. They are not believed to have the same mental capacity of a full grown adult. That whole thought process is, in itself, a HUGE stereotype. But then, aren't all laws? The age of 18 was chosen as the transition between adolescens and adulthood because it would appear that the average person would ,by that point in their life, have a better understanding of how to correctly function in society (through what many have already mentioned, EXPERIENCE). I personally believe that in today's world, laws could easily be adjusted to consider most 16 year-olds as "adults". But what would the average population of 16-18 year olds gain from this? Nothing. They would gain "freedom" from the bondages of being someones child. But is that really so beneficial for those 16-18 year-olds? Perhaps it is, in YOUR case (again, I don't know much about you, nor do I care to know), but for a the average 16-18 year-old, the burdons of being an adult far outweigh those of being a juvenile. So to summarize, you and a few other people, are the rare exceptions to the average adolescent. Majority (the average) rules. Tough luck, you lose this one for now. You have a perfect excuse to be angry, but because there is currently nothing you can do about it, it is best that you put it in the back of your mind for the time being. Perhaps in the future you could be a contributing factor in creating some sort of reform. What's important is that you not lose sight of you very opinionated views, but that you also not let the issue consume you at this point in time.

You think but you do not act. This leads me to think that perhaps there is something holding you back (perhaps the fact that you are still underage?). By not acting on your thoughts, you instead choose (involuntarily) to repress them. This will leed anyone (regardless of age) to become angry within themselves. That's why rants exist. It's a form of venting. It is very encouragable that you continue to express your thoughts an opinions in public. These forums are great for just that. So you say you have your own theory of time travel? If what you say is true, ask yourself just what exactly it is that you would do if your theory really did work? Would you travel to the past to change something, or would you travel to the future to learn something? What exactly would you do? What is the significance of your time travel theory? Do you speak of it only so that you can demonstrate to us that you are indeed smart? Just because you have a theory, does not in anyway make you smart. It does however have some larger psycological meaning behind it (try answering some of the above questions and I might then be able to explain to you the significane of it all). I do not feel like starting a mathematical argument in regards to your talk of Pi, and so I will simply move along. It does not "suck" to be smart, as you say you are. It does however suck to not be able to do anything with your own alleged intelligence. Your simply not being challenged enough. This is again very closely related to your being underage. There are options out there for people who wish to learn as you do. However, you mention that you are lazy. This may sound harsh (and please, I encourage flaming), but if your so smart, then get off your ass and do something that could be considered smart!!! While you sit here and rant, you show that you are so inexperienced in life (which is why you are still considered an adolescent), that even with all the smarts (a form of power) in the world that you claim to have, you are not capable of using that power for anything productive. Funny, if you serve no purpose, why then continue to live? Perhaps, you are no different than the people you believe should overdose because they serve no purpose in life.

Drepression leading to anger, huh? This is not an issue that should be overlooked simply because you are going through puverty. If you truly believe that your erratic behaviorial patterns are so severe, then I suggest you seek medical treatment. Yes, pills. Your entire rant #3 does nothing more than give the symptoms of already well-documented, treatable mental disorders. Chuck some pills and you'll be fine. No more anger, and best of all, lots of sleep.

I urge you to carefully review everything that Sinue wrote. If you cannot comprehend (or simply do not want to comphrend) what Sinue is trying to tell you, then you prove, beyond a doubt that you are infact still nothing more than an adolescent. You are simply in denial because you do not seem to truly understand what being an adult means. You have misinterpreted intellegence as being the same as wisdom. Quasi-fundamental rights were given to juveniles because they lack WISDOM, NOT because they lack intellegence, as you seem to believe. While you speak of commiting suicide and of being angry at the world, there are real life adults who are striving to make this world a better place. They know the odds of success. In a world ruled by inferior mammals (the majority of humanity), a few stand out above the rest. They are however outnumbered so greatly, that the chances of sucess in making this world a better place simply do not exist. Will that always be the case? Yes and No. If you continue in your quest for self-destruction, then everything that those few individuals achieve will have been for nothing. You and other individuals such as yourself (assuming you truly are as smart as you claim to be) are the only ones capable of carrying on what the those special individuals have helped start in their lifetimes. I wish you the best of luck in life, and I again ask you to see the error of your ways before it is to late.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RC4 on 2004-03-13 00:55 ]</font>

Thank you RC4 and Sinue for your well thought out responses. I do not agree with all that you say, but the majority of it I can agree with. I understand perfectly what both of you have said, but since we are on "opposite sides of the fence" when it comes to the age barrier, it would be hard to come to a consensus (I know that's spelled wrong). Life experience shall be mine in due time, but until then I will listen to intelligent older people (such as you 2) to benefit from others life experience. I am not merely bitching about my problems and ideas, I was looking for other peoples opinions so that I could make a better decision as to how I should deal with them. I am currently trying a more non-chalant approach to life, because while anger can be a great driving force for getting things done, it can also cloud your judgement. I am often called arrogant because I claim to smart even though I am so young, but isn't it arrogant to think that age makes you smarter than someone? As for my laziness, I am working to finish my Pi solution and once it is complete I intend to get it published. I could go into depth with my time travel theory (it is impossible, and I have several supporting ideas) but I doubt anyone's interested. As for "pills", no I'm pretty sure my hatred for the world will end when I have a better standing in it. I will not become a druggie or commit suicide because I am above that crap. Life would be alot better if people ook me (and other teens) more seriously. We may be young, but a few of us have some great ideas.

anwserman
Mar 13, 2004, 04:52 PM
PaleKid15.

You.... can go fuck off. You know what, I'm only 4 years older then you and I've seen some things in my life. I'm not knowledgable, or have many life experienecs, but in four years I have a hellofalot more experience in life then you.

One thing: Don't insult somebody who is trying to help you. It makes you look like a smarmy little ass who rants and raves, yet when somebody gives advice you fuck them over. It means you're unappreciative, because you know what... WE DIDN'T HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS AT ALL. Just say, "Oh, those things don't work." By saying you're an intelligent teenager contradicts yourself when you also tell someone they're a goatfucker.

Second thing: Intelligence is different from maturity. I would rather be friends with somebody who might be slightly smarter then a block of wood but always tries to do the right thing and please people, then somebody who claims to be so intelligent but doesn't realize that they're extremely rude and stuck up that they don't notice their face is half-way up their ass.

Third thing: Life would be better if people listened to teenagers. But you know what, its life. I, myself, am personally gay and I would much rather be straight so I wouldn't have to live life with these difficulties: not being able to get married, having to come out to my family (some of whom aren't exactly kind towards gay people), and having religion shoved down my throat being told that I'm going to burn in hell unless I save myself, being discriminated against for what not who I am, being stereotyped by many people as being a child pedophile among other things. Take what you have and fucking appreciate it. Think I have it bad? Think about people like me who get thrown in jail for being gay, being murdered and being told that they themselves are illegal.

Life is not fair, and the sooner you get over that fact the better you'll be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-03-13 13:52 ]</font>

PaleKid15
Mar 13, 2004, 07:19 PM
I was not acually calling the person a retarded goat fucker, I was merely using that to show how stupid "No offense..." is. See the rant, "No offense, but you suck!" I also later apologized for over-reacting (which you would know if you read everything). Simmer down.

opaopajr
Mar 14, 2004, 07:44 AM
ahh, the joys of the liminal phase of humans!

savor these years, for they are the best years of your life... (blatant lie, but someone had to say it - burns something horrible doesn't it? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

y'know, in my day we had maudlin Brit pop music to tide us over through our erratic emotional swings.

Unfortunately soon after in the mid-to-late 90s we get the Spice Girls, S-Club 7, and Abba Teen... Ha ha ha ha, I'm so sorry, but your generation is so screwed!

-Luke-
Mar 14, 2004, 08:10 AM
There really isn't much you can do. Try to be more tolerant, it has been said before, but is it possible that it was said before because it might be the smart thing to do? Yeah, the world is congested with stupid people. What can you do about it? If you learn to deal with this shit now, it won't hit you as hard in later life when you don't have someone cooking your meals and taking care of you. You just have to deal with it.
I hate little kids, you know how when they are walking nothing seems to exist in their world except them and where they are headed? And you only exist if they choose to acknowledge your existance? It pisses me off when I am walking and I have to dodge and wind my way through school simply because little kids are everywhere and if I didn't move I would knock them down. Yeah, I could pick them up and throw them to the side. I could punch them down, but I don't. I jes walk past. Deal with it. Of course I am definately not the person to preach about this, given my bad temper and my own arrogance, but yeah, you have to, unless of course you want to be a sociopath. There's always that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Myopathy
Mar 14, 2004, 08:11 AM
On 2004-03-10 09:43, PaleKid15 wrote:
When replying to these rants, please indicate by # which one you are commenting on. Thank you.

Rant #1-
Adolescents have really crappy rights. We have the right to go to school (no choice), the right to listen to adults (no choice), and the right to be alive (against the law to try and kill yourself). Wow, those are some great rights, huh? Everything about a young persons life is dictated to them. Your parents have the final say on everything in your life. Thus, screwed up parents produce screwed up kids. And there are alot of screwed up people. The U.S. constitution states that all men are created equal. This is considered to include all races, and women. But, will it ever be extended to young people? Doubtful. I realize that at a young age, you may not be capable of deciding what is in your best interest, but as a teenager, you should get atleast a few good civil rights. One of the reasons I am almost constantly angry is that I have the mental ability of an adult (actually more than some), yet my opinions are regarged as tht of a child, and thus make no impact on society or my parents decisions. Discuss.

Rant #2-
It is very hard to be smart and happy at the same time. I choose smart. I think too much and thus cannot really enjoy life. I think about the middle east and what horrible stuff involvig it will happen next. I think about all of the stupid things the governments of the world are doing. I also think about less imortant matters. I have my own theory of time travel. I am working on a mathmatic formula that can replace Pi (it has infinite decimal places and thus cannot be used to determine the exact circumfrence or area of a circle/cone/sphere or cylinder). I think about all of the technological advancements the world is making and the consequences of them. I AM 15 (almost 16) years old! Why the hell do I have to think/care about this stuff? Bottom line, it sucks to be smart (atleast at my age. Discuss.

Rant #3-
I have a very small range of emotions. I am always either angry or depressed about something. And usually the depression quickly turns to anger. I am never really happy. Sure, I have fun every once in a while, and I enjoy comedy. But during those times, I am also angry at something else. It is impossible for me to go to sleep before 3 in the morning because I just can't stop thinking about evrything. It really sucks. Bah... I'll finish this rant later. I'm too angry now... Discuss.

1) All people your age feel that way at one point or another. You probably have it worse if your parents are overprotective. You can't really do anything about it except if it REALLY bothers you, tell them honestly that you are not happy about it. They are you parents, I'm sure they'll care if it is really affecting you.

2) Don't worry so much. It will just put more and more unnecessary stress on you. It's nice to discuss some politics sometimes, but don't go home and ponder over it for many hours on end. Relax more. Read a book. Watch some movies. Set a time for yourself when you get to do nothing but relax and try to take your mind off matters. Also, in reference to the Pi thing, you'll learn when you get older that being exact is not necessary in the real world. In fact, you'll find out being exact is avoided whenever possible. Even when it comes to theory, many things are approximated.

3) Again, find out what makes you happy (whether it's being with friend or watching a comedy) and do those things more often. You'll gradually learn to NOT be worried about other things.

PaleKid15
Mar 14, 2004, 05:15 PM
On 2004-03-14 05:11, Ezellaur wrote:

On 2004-03-10 09:43, PaleKid15 wrote:

Rant #1-

Rant #2-

Rant #3-

1) All people your age feel that way at one point or another. You probably have it worse if your parents are overprotective. You can't really do anything about it except if it REALLY bothers you, tell them honestly that you are not happy about it. They are you parents, I'm sure they'll care if it is really affecting you.

2) Don't worry so much. It will just put more and more unnecessary stress on you. It's nice to discuss some politics sometimes, but don't go home and ponder over it for many hours on end. Relax more. Read a book. Watch some movies. Set a time for yourself when you get to do nothing but relax and try to take your mind off matters. Also, in reference to the Pi thing, you'll learn when you get older that being exact is not necessary in the real world. In fact, you'll find out being exact is avoided whenever possible. Even when it comes to theory, many things are approximated.

3) Again, find out what makes you happy (whether it's being with friend or watching a comedy) and do those things more often. You'll gradually learn to NOT be worried about other things.

I've already tried the things you suggested, but thanks anyway. I know being exact isn't super important, but creating your own mathematic formula and advancing mathematical knowlege (my theory can be used in alot of parts of math), is the kind of thing that could help my odds of getting a scholarship or something. And that would be good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaleKid15 on 2004-03-14 14:16 ]</font>