PDA

View Full Version : Avatars

Sharkyland
Mar 10, 2004, 01:33 PM
Hmm, I made some avatars a few back (mostly Sil'fer), but I was wondering about someone's suggestion about categorizing avatars. I can do it though the filenames would be changed though. Would you still like to see that?

LollipopLolita
Mar 10, 2004, 01:38 PM
we can categorize them but i would have to rename over 300 files and erupt would have to make the code. or everyone would be forced to rechose their avatars. so it's time consuming, and there are other more important things we're working on now.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 10, 2004, 01:42 PM
I do have to say... Last time I browsed the avatars, even with a broadband connection, it was a bit of a pain... I dunno how many people would agree with me, but if there were only 2 or 3 pages worth of them (as there were when that system was set up), it wouldn't be a very big deal, but with 29 pages worth, it becomes kinda tedious. Some sort of improved organization of them would indeed be a great help.

Albeit, I'll admit, it does seem like this site should have more important things to be concerned with than ease of avatar navigation.

LollipopLolita
Mar 10, 2004, 02:03 PM
we're planning some feature additions to the site, so that's top most in priority, not the avatars.

ABDUR101
Mar 10, 2004, 04:28 PM
I say we just go back to the original set of avatars from DC Version 1. =]

I can remember when the first set of new avatars rolled out, OH HOW THEY DANCED IN THE STREETS!

Sharkyland
Mar 10, 2004, 04:36 PM
Suggestions:
- Well, one way is that we are familiar with classes: humar, hunewearl, etc

So you can have all the non named hunewearls:
- hunewearl000.jpg
- hunewearl001.jpg
- hunewearl002.jpg (etc.)

And those with names can have:
- silfer000.jpg
- silfer001.jpg (etc.)

I could sit down one day and take all the avatars and rename them for you guys and send it via zipped or something, but if you guys are busy, I understand.

LollipopLolita
Mar 10, 2004, 05:11 PM
it's not that simple. if i were to just rename the avatars, i don't mind at all. that's easy work that will just take 30 mins tops if even that. but then all of you guys would have to go back and rechoose the avatars. i would need to make a list of what the old names are and what the corresponding new names are, that's why i have to do it and not you. erupt will need to go to work on code for categorizing and rework some of the forum code if we were to make it seamless. and that takes quite a bit of time. and right now, we both would rather work on code other more important site features. avatar categorization is low on the to do list. honestly, drop it for now.

which is why i said

we can categorize them but i would have to rename over 300 files and erupt would have to make the code. or everyone would be forced to rechose their avatars. so it's time consuming, and there are other more important things we're working on now.

people are never satisfied with avatars. i swear... too little too many no afros no spiky hair no better fonewm...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2004-03-10 14:12 ]</font>

Saladwood
Mar 10, 2004, 05:15 PM
how about we put all the avatars on one page, or even break them up onto three pages, so it's 100 per page, THEN the many many dial up users will suffer as well.

What we have now, works for pretty much everyone, so I think it's going to stay.

Also remember, not everyone here is from the US and has dial up that is a lot slower than dial up in the USA. Hell, even broadband in other countries is slower than dial up out here.

Sharkyland
Mar 10, 2004, 05:17 PM
it's not that simple. if i were to just rename the avatars, i don't mind at all. that's easy work that will just take 30 mins tops if even that. but then all of you guys would have to go back and rechoose the avatars. i would need to make a list of what the old names are and what the corresponding new names are, that's why i have to do it and not you. erupt will need to go to work on code for categorizing and rework some of the forum code if we were to make it seamless. and that takes quite a bit of time. and right now, we both would rather work on code other more important site features. avatar categorization is low on the to do list. honestly, drop it for now.

Oi, that's a long process, but I see your point.

Hrith
Mar 11, 2004, 09:42 AM
I agree with Salad, you have to think about everyone.

And what if it takes 30 minutes of your time to choose your avatar ?
Changing the page would take a lot more of Lolli or eRUPT's time, which, like stated, have more important maters to attend to.

Rainbowlemon
Mar 11, 2004, 03:51 PM
On 2004-03-11 06:42, Kef wrote:
I agree with Salad.

There's a phrase you don't hear every day.

kutulu
Mar 12, 2004, 03:23 PM
I would just like to mention that lately I've been making alot of Section ID avatars for other forums that I wouldnt at all mind sharing in the avatar section, since it seems we cant choose a custom avatar. The offer is always up.