PDA

View Full Version : Romance

Darkchyld
Mar 14, 2004, 03:56 AM
don't let the title fool you, this is actually one about love in games. think on it a minute, isn't it kinda corny how they always get the girl in the end. (only in resident evil code name veronica did they not have two lovers in the end) shouldn't there be a little bit more of reality in them. where they actually lose them in a sense but they still have a chance. then i think people could relate more to the stories (like in FFX where he "disappeared" after you beat the game) so the question is: the better the story line connects to real life, the more you want to play it to see whats going on, true or not true

Thepandaman
Mar 14, 2004, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I find that if it's easily believable, and I can imagine it happening, then I want to find out what happens next more.

Daikarin
Mar 14, 2004, 06:23 AM
Exactly, I feel that the love stories in most games always follow a linear pattern, becoming easily predictable.

I also think some more originality should be thought of.

Still, getting the girl ain't that bad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

_Sinue_
Mar 14, 2004, 06:39 AM
I'm not a fan of uncertain endings. I'm one of those people who need closure in order for the game and story to be "Complete". If it's a "To be continued" - that's fine. If it's a bittersweet ending, that's fine too. If it's a horrific ending where everyone in your party dies in vain - even that's acceptable. I just hate the ones that "let you make up your own mind how it ends".

There's actually a lot of games out there with bittersweet endings.. or endings in which the guy didn't get the girl at the end and live happily ever after. They've been around for a long time too. One of my favorites is Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers made by author Jane Jenson in 1993.

http://data.photodump.com/jrbiltz2/Gabriel2.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-03-14 09:21 ]</font>

rising_sunset
Mar 14, 2004, 10:43 AM
Ahh...

Wonderful thread, YES! It would be best if some of the games had some sense to it. Like you said most games all have happy lovely endings. (example ffx-2) I mean the cycle of life isn't like that. There has to be places where things are not so bright but more gloomy. I would love to play new games that actually have a more related to life kind of story line.

^__^

Kiara
Mar 14, 2004, 11:06 AM
I'm not a fan of cliches but games with vague endings usually have poor stories to begin with. Change is good but if the writers are to lazy to finish and just leave the ending up in the air...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kiara on 2004-03-14 08:07 ]</font>

Orange_Coconut
Mar 14, 2004, 01:21 PM
I don't know, I mean, most games I can't relate to anything except for maybe feelings of a character. I just see it as an alternate reality, which is why things go so perfectly for the heroes. Even when they have their down times, they always end up saving the day and usually getting the girl.

I'm trying to think, but how many RPG's actually start you off with the main character as a girl? I can only think of one, and it's a FF from the SNES. I think all they need is a little more variety, personally. But I too get annoyed with the whole perfect ending stuff. :/

SpikeOtacon
Mar 14, 2004, 01:33 PM
A LOT of games end up with the 'hero' not getting the girl.

EDIT: (per request) SPOLIERS, DAMN IT!!!!

Silent Hill 2: All the females died except for the 7 year old.

MGS2: Olga is slaughtered, and Rose didn't exist.

MGS1/Twin Snakes: Sniper Wolf is shot, Meryl is killed (my preferred ending), and Mei Ling left, Naomi was murdered, and Nastasha had to go underground to hide from the government.

Every mario game: He's never 'gotten' princess peach.

Otogi: Raikoh's a zombie anyways, and the princess is a celestial being.

Skies of Arcadia: Vyse can't get any from Aika OR fina. And he knows it, too.

..more examples to come.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2004-03-14 18:17 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 14, 2004, 09:15 PM
On 2004-03-14 10:33, SpikeOtacon wrote:
A LOT of games end up with the 'hero' not getting the girl.

Silent Hill 2: All the females died except for the 7 year old.

MGS2: Olga is slaughtered, and Rose didn't exist.

MGS1/Twin Snakes: Sniper Wolf is shot, Meryl is killed (my preferred ending), and Mei Ling left, Naomi was murdered, and Nastasha had to go underground to hide from the government.

Otogi: Raikoh's a zombie anyways, and the princess is a celestial being.

..more examples to come.

Grargh! Spoilers! Tell us they're spoilers!!!!

Max Payne 2 can go either way. Does that count?

Skett
Mar 14, 2004, 09:23 PM
I have to say, no matter how predictable it is, I still get sucked into a love story. Not sure why. And not too many games actually have love stories as one of the central theme. It might be a simple side story (PSO Ep. 3) or a motivator (MGS: Twin Snakes).

The only game that has a love story as a big thing (not just story) is Sakura Wars.

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 01:50 AM
On 2004-03-14 18:23, Skett wrote:
I have to say, no matter how predictable it is, I still get sucked into a love story. Not sure why. And not too many games actually have love stories as one of the central theme. It might be a simple side story (PSO Ep. 3) or a motivator (MGS: Twin Snakes).

The only game that has a love story as a big thing (not just story) is Sakura Wars.

Likewise. I really love err... love stories. I'm a sap for them. Weird thing is, I really like the semi-morbid ones. Cowboy Bebop, anyone?

Personally, I think a lot of people disliked Final Fantasy VIII because it was a love story. I enjoyed it quite a lot, so I dunno.

Daikarin
Mar 15, 2004, 08:35 AM
* SP00LEIRS! *

On 2004-03-14 10:33, SpikeOtacon wrote:

That's because he probably "had" her from the beggining. And maybe Miyamoto thinks that making her kiss Mario can shock little children.
(...jk)

The bastard got BOTH. In some way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2004-03-15 05:36 ]</font>

goku4ever
Mar 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
well this isnt in a game but i like the end of the resident evil movie coz it is not a happy ending, everyone in the group except 2 ppl died, and the man that survived mutated into nemesis. The ending roks!

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 12:06 PM
On 2004-03-15 07:41, goku4ever wrote:
well this isnt in a game but i like the end of the resident evil movie coz it is not a happy ending, everyone in the group except 2 ppl died, and the man that survived mutated into nemesis. The ending roks!

Personally, I'm embarassed to be a RE fan after that movie, but I mean, hey... whatever works.

goku4ever
Mar 15, 2004, 02:11 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif how can u say that? the movie roked so hard!

Chaos_Phoenix
Mar 15, 2004, 02:45 PM
That's because he probably "had" her from the beggining. And maybe Miyamoto thinks that making her kiss Mario can shock little children.
(...jk)

Correction: In Super Mario World, for the SNES, Princess Peach DOES kiss mario after he rescues her. He turns red, and then fireworks go off! And everybody, lives happily ever after. Also, in the very first Mario, Peach kisses Mario, and if he's small, he magically grows. Are the subliminally saying something here??

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 03:23 PM
On 2004-03-15 11:45, Chaos_Phoenix wrote:
Correction: In Super Mario World, for the SNES, Princess Peach DOES kiss mario after he rescues her. He turns red, and then fireworks go off! And everybody, lives happily ever after. Also, in the very first Mario, Peach kisses Mario, and if he's small, he magically grows. Are the subliminally saying something here??

She also kisses him at the end of Super Mairo 64, which I would think more people would remember since it was more recent. Meh.

Gnarled_rose
Mar 15, 2004, 07:12 PM
Am I the only one left who still plays games to ESCAPE from reality? I'm sorry, but when you realize that you've been sitting in your (basement, attic, bedroom) for endless hours focusing only on a video game and basic life supports (sleep and candy bars), you really REALLY need that unrealistic ending to snap you out of it and bring you into reality. Besides, the freaks that we are, playing video games til all hours of the morning, I NEED LOVE! Since I'm not about to get it from anyone out in the real world fast enough, might as well see my avatar get a kiss or a hug in a game. Besides, you practically become the character at the end of the game and just watching him/her getting that wistful look makes you think that maybe he/she is really looking at you....
>_>
<_<
Or is that just me? Besides, how do you think I got my god-like hands and rapier wit in the first place? {God and mortals know my looks certainly ain't winnin' any awards) Or is that just me again?

Outrider
Mar 15, 2004, 07:14 PM
Nah, I definitely enjoy some games because they're so far from reality that they pull me out of the real world. But also, I can enjoy games for just a good story or good gameplay or whatever.

Chaos_Phoenix
Mar 16, 2004, 02:37 PM
Am I the only one left who still plays games to ESCAPE from reality?

*THWACK!* What are you talking about? [sarcasm]Who here honestly wants to play a game to escape reality??[/sarsacm} No, but on a more serious note, I'll agree with you on one thing, rose. Games are meant for the enjoyment of us, the consumer, and it gives us false hope that there may be something like that in the real world. So, in the end, all it really gives us is an empty satisfaction that we did something to save the world. But hey, when it comes right down to it, all we really did was waste dozens of hours playing a game, instead of living our lives. Oh well, long live denial!!!

_Sinue_
Mar 16, 2004, 04:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bastard got BOTH. In some way.

Dude.. what are you talking about? Vyse was a pimp. He got them both - at the same time. The he probly went back to find that one female captain (can't remember her name) after that and had her put on the Belly Dancer outfit for fun before the sweet, sweet lovin.

Daikarin
Mar 16, 2004, 05:40 PM
(can't remember her name)

"Beleza". Portuguese name for "Beauty", altough most of you already know that.

In fact, there are many portuguese words on that game. Reminds me of the Discovery period.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New Ultimate on 2004-03-16 14:41 ]</font>