PDA

View Full Version : Leaving

Shimarisu
Mar 15, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm leaving this site and Episode 3. Why? Because I can't stand it anymore. And if I'm not allowed to complain about a racist player then I think this site is worthless.

I can't get anything done now about said player because I can't remember everyone who was willing to help me complain to Sonic Team. I'm not well and my depression is coming back. I just don't see the point anymore if I can't get any support.

- Shimarisu

AzureBlaze
Mar 15, 2004, 08:42 PM
Don't go astray!

Getting rid of bad people isn't the only way to make PSOEp3 and these boards a better place. Surely, getting rid of the really rotten ones helps out, but you may get frusterated because you can't rid of them all. But there is something you can always do, and it's easier then trying to put a ban on meanies. (at least I think so, ST doesn't listen to USA people, or people who can't speak JP, like me)

Is to help the -good- people out. By increasing the coolness of the actual good people, you automatically make it THAT much harder for the bads to get along. Like those "Bully JPs" who are out for an easy buck, or revenge against the USA for all the hacking some of the bad people here did. They won't have an "EZ" time of it for long! That was why I especially liked your "JPs don't join" post.

You have the potential to be much more then a stopper of crimes all by yourself. If you go away for good, then you will deny the nice people a chance to squash the baddies for you. I know that a whole lot of frusteration has been saved for the people of this site because of some of the things you've said. As long as someone reads a post, it does not go to waste because the word is getting out there. I may not reply to everything I see...but if it pretains to me, you can bet I read it.

Don't dilute yourself, my opinion is to stick around and help out how you -can-...after all, there's lots of ways to do it. And sometimes I have seen if you help out someone (for whatever reason) you can feel better yourself because the helping reflects back on you.

teflon
Mar 15, 2004, 10:40 PM
I don't understand why you don't just ignore the retarded JP players instead of constantly trying to stop them and make topics here about how "BILLY JEAN IS RACIST SEANIK TEAM SHOULD GIVE HIM TEH BAN!" when you fail.

Aziangangster
Mar 16, 2004, 12:05 AM
Just ignore the other players as you go along or just play with ur friends. I have been playing more on the japanese servers even though i dont understand japanese because of all the mean people in US server. I found out that the japanese people are alot nicer then some American palyers unlike alot of people i play in US server(wont metion names) that call me a noob and starts cursing at me when i beat them.Well I just hope you stay u are a real help to alot of us and you inspire us to take our own actions.

Para
Mar 16, 2004, 12:22 AM
The ignore option is a powerful tool.
Other than that I think you are letting minor issues getting to you too far. You need to cool and reassert yourself.

psojohndoe2
Mar 16, 2004, 12:46 AM
Just ignore sounds good to me too http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Lot's of asses out there, but they are far outnumbered by the good people, we only know about the bad/annoying/assholes because they tend to be alot more vocal http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif If you really wanna avoid it, create a new char, because you do stick out because you're well known.

o0Maxx0o
Mar 16, 2004, 01:24 AM
what is this "ignore sounds" you sspeak of..

if you can really block sounds, i will be SO greatful!!! they are so annoying

SHHADOWW
Mar 16, 2004, 04:12 AM
for me it is called the mute butten =8^)

sorry i just had to

psojohndoe2
Mar 16, 2004, 04:25 AM
I didn't mean "Ignore sounds" as in ignore the sounds people can make. -_- I meant it as in she should just ignore what ppl say, that "sounds" good to me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mr_Springate
Mar 16, 2004, 04:33 AM
Shimarisu,
It has severely pained me to have read your post as to be honest, ignorantly, I have never seen or even considered racism to be a problem in Phantasy Star Online.

As a gamer I find your problem to be very distressing as the entire ethos behind PSO is that of co-operation and co-habitation, an online land where people of all cultures can work together.

As a videogames developer I find your problem a complete outrage and I imagine that Sonic Team would be deeply saddened to hear your state of affairs.

All I can say and offer - is that I am certain (though admittedly I have no authority to do so..) PSO World community members support you and I know that Sega and Sonic Team (I do have authority to pledge that) would not stand for racism on their servers - please stick around and help us track these racist players - we WILL get them banned.

Please can any PSOWorld forum members who agree merely reply to these posts with support.

Again, please stick around,

MrSpringate/MrSpringate+/djspringate/David Springate

psojohndoe2
Mar 16, 2004, 04:40 AM
I've seen racism on PSO for a long time now, however Sega Japan takes a more active role in removing those people if there are enough complaints, compared to Sega USA. I've seen USA bashing, Japanese bashing, black bashing, brazillian bashing... and all of these *before* the current issues at hand.

However, this REALLY is a small percentage of players, the reason it sticks out so much is A) Just like in the real world, you hear alot more about people commiting crimes than the good people do, and B) The people on the PSOW boards are a tight nit community, and there's usually a PSOWer online in the busy ships/blocks where these people go, so we always hear about it.

Delphi_Vinn
Mar 16, 2004, 04:42 AM
Yes :>, the mute button is nice. Text dialogue in the game rules menue can be turned off as well, but not in tourneys, sadly. Just ignore the blah blah ssj or whatever stuff goes on in Antares all the time. I mean really, if they want to spend five bucks a month to spout hate, pitty them.

And a nice way to lift my spirits, I've noticed, is to go around and help the new folks. Enter the games called 'New, or Noob, or help' or whatever, and ask them if they have any questions. Play a few rounds against them, and tell them what they're doing right. Give advice and such, encourage them to continue playing. You'd be doing a service to them, and to yourself, as you'd be making new friends every day.

RiskBreaker
Mar 16, 2004, 05:33 AM
Shimarisu,

As I'm sure you're well aware there are always, always going to be a small percentage of players that are simply out there to ruin the gaming experience for everyone else. I will never understand the satisfaction some players seem to derive from ruining a game, be it cheating (dupers, FSODs etc), spamming and generally being offensive, but they can be found in every online game. And unfortunately the more competitive the game is, the worse it gets.

Problem is online gaming is a double edged sword. At its best, its a fantastic opportunity to enjoy your favourite games with like minded people. And at it s worst .... well I guess we've all seen plenty of the bad side.

Thing is, its hard to clamp down on these players without infringing on the freedom of those gamers there to enjoy the experience. An simple example being "saturday" being dubbed as an offensive word simply to stop gamers using the (albeit relatively light) offensive term within.

You just have to keep doing what you're doing. Let Sega USA and Sega JP know what is occuring, in the hope they will take action and keep the community aware of the problems it faces.

Most importantly, you need to keep a cool head and just ignore these players. They're just not worth it. Don't let them think they've got something on your and have victory over you. Thats how they get their kicks and if you get frustrated by them they've won.

At the end of the day you're better than this.

Besides, if people like you leave ....

who's going to help n00bs like me get a proper take on the game eh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DOG21313
Mar 16, 2004, 11:35 AM
The other day i was in Vega... Someone was sound spamming. "Oh no, a spammer, this is gonna ruin my day! Oh wait, theres a little button on my remote called... Mute!" I said, and muted the tv.

They left less than a minute later. =) Just make sure to let them know that they arent bothering you. That bugs em more than anything.

And Shim... Dont leave. Your one of those people that i have always thought of as a great PSOer at this site.

Ness
Mar 16, 2004, 12:28 PM
I hate to see you go, but goodbye.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2004-03-16 09:29 ]</font>

Scejntjynahl
Mar 16, 2004, 01:07 PM
I doubt shim will respond, or notice that some ppl will miss her.

May your journey be a safe and prosperous one.

Aceizace
Mar 16, 2004, 03:03 PM
I hope they do come back to read these, it'd be a waste otherwise. Personally i've never seen any racists online, i tend to go online solo anyway. However, what i can comment on:

I'm not well and my depression is coming back

I know how you feel! Trust me, the last thing you want to do is give in to your depression. You'll just find more things to worry about, and blame yourself for everything, then you'll start to regret ever leaving pso and wonder why you did it etc... all in all, you just gotta be strong.

If you're really tired of the game, as in the gamepplay of it, then i'm sorry to see you go. But if you're leaving just beacuse of other people, then i will say don't. You shouldn't let other people ruin your enjoyment of life, it's letting the bad guys win!

Last time i checked racism was illegal. I know it's not exactly to put into practice, PSO being a game and all, but start threatening that you'll get the police involved. I dunno, maybe they'll go to ST USA and tell them they need to crack down on racism. Sounds like something out of a tv program, but hey, it might work.

rhymmney
Mar 16, 2004, 04:35 PM
Oh... I am sorry but you cannot go anywhere... you are the only person on this site that makes me truly LAUGH OUT LOUD with some of your very witty and bitingly-sarcastic comments... As far as racists go... you can't let people like that get on your nerves... either confront them about it and let them know that comments are not appreciated or reciprocated and if that does not work... leave, go to lobby, and make a new room with people that have manners... there is enough pso related things to talk about in a room and enough basic general things to talk about such as age, location, weather, music, etc that racist comments have to reason to come up. Racism is everywhere.. you just can't check out on something that is fun for you... address it... band with others to stamp it out, or leave room. Unless... of course, you are entirely bored of the game.... and that is another matter.

LollipopLolita
Mar 16, 2004, 04:51 PM
As I said before, you can complain and have every right to complain about racist players. You can also continue the campaign. However, you may not flame or flamebait and you do have to follow the rules, like everyone else.

As said before, the mods have tried to stay neutral the best we can. And I prefer not to have personal feuds drawn out here. PSOW cannot change the state of Ep 3 since it is up to ST to enforce the rules. And while they do not enforce their rules, we do. But Ep 3 does not equal PSOW, we are separate entities. Though, I have to add, abusive gamers exist in every single online game out there.

If you want to let this small thing get to you and lead to your leaving the site, that's too bad. If you let this contribute to your depression, that's too bad as well. You should try to not let your depression influence this.

People have always supported you here so don't let your anger get to you. I do feel there are a lot of other ways to spend your time constructively. And you have through helping other people here and new players on Ep 3, and I suggest you concentrate on that. There has been a lot of good that have come out of your time here and on Ep 3. Focus on that and not on the negative.

Hrith
Mar 16, 2004, 06:08 PM
there's a French saying that goes "Silence defeats insolence"

I enjoy your presence here, Shim, if you let them chase you, they'd win.

And if you're not reading this topic, I'll have Zane send it to you !!!