PDA

View Full Version : To make a melee FO or not?

Direlect
Mar 15, 2004, 09:22 PM
I need reasons too and reasons not too thx! cause ive been thinking, what kind should it be, whats a good section ID, what kind of mag should i have?

OrphansOwl
Mar 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
umm i'd make a FOmar with pilla, estilla, and leilla,

Cheep
Mar 15, 2004, 09:29 PM
Is melee the ones who use teches or the ones who use weapons? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif For teches a mind mag is good and for weps a pow mag is good. Teches will end up doing little damage and with weapons you can get the pooples beat outa ya! I don't know too much about forces. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_redface.gif

Blitzkommando
Mar 15, 2004, 09:32 PM
Any Force can melee, but most common choices are FOmarl and FOmar. Any mag that gives invincibility will do, Sato is the most used example. This is since Photon Blasts are virtually worthless to Forces later in the game except during PB Chains and that Shifta/Deband Boost and Resta are also worthless to a Force who can, faster and more powerfully do the same thing. A Newm or Newearl meleer is much rarer, and more difficult due to lower defense and HP but definitely is not impossible. Just make sure to make more accuracy and power on the mag than mind. Defense would also be handy, though easier and more efficient with */body units. Just choose what you want and good luck, some of the more skilled players are the ones who can not only play the support Force roll but a melee roll at the same time.

Direlect
Mar 15, 2004, 09:32 PM
melee is fighting like hand-hand, guess im gonna make 1

TheGoldenVoid
Mar 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
I see no point in meleeing with a Male force. If a Male force equips a weapon, he immediately loses his fast Tech casting bonus. This to me is crazy. I play my FOmar with no weapon equipped...the speed he casts Techs is amazing. As soon as I equip something to Melee, and his casting speed slows down to normal, he feels much weaker and very vulnerable.

RicoRoyal
Mar 16, 2004, 11:44 AM
On 2004-03-16 08:40, TheGoldenVoid wrote:
I see no point in meleeing with a Male force. If a Male force equips a weapon, he immediately loses his fast Tech casting bonus. This to me is crazy. I play my FOmar with no weapon equipped...the speed he casts Techs is amazing. As soon as I equip something to Melee, and his casting speed slows down to normal, he feels much weaker and very vulnerable.

That's why God(aka Sonic Team) invented Angry Fist. Get one with high percents and all your worries will be solved.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RC4 on 2004-03-16 08:48 ]</font>

TheGoldenVoid
Mar 17, 2004, 10:33 AM
Can you explain a bit more? I don't understand. Surely Angry Fist counts as a weapon and so will slow down my Tech speed? Or, does Angry Fist speed up Tech casting speed? Thnx.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheGoldenVoid on 2004-03-17 07:42 ]</font>

anwserman
Mar 17, 2004, 10:51 AM
Do FOnewearl. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Hella hard, hella fun.

Eyes level 139 melee FOnewearl. Eyes PSO disc that hasn't been played in three weeks. Hmmm.

Toldan
Mar 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
On 2004-03-17 07:33, TheGoldenVoid wrote:
Can you explain a bit more? I don't understand. Surely Angry Fist counts as a weapon and so will slow down my Tech speed? Or, does Angry Fist speed up Tech casting speed? Thnx.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheGoldenVoid on 2004-03-17 07:42 ]</font>

Fist/Glove-type items count as unarmed weapons http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif , thus the FO doesn't lose his fast casting ability.

RicoRoyal
Mar 17, 2004, 02:24 PM
On 2004-03-17 10:45, Toldan wrote:

On 2004-03-17 07:33, TheGoldenVoid wrote:

Fist/Glove-type items count as unarmed weapons http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif , thus the FO doesn't lose his fast casting ability.

Yup, what he said.

It's a damn shame FO's cant use the God/Hand. Now that there would have been perfect... *drools*

Alighieri
Mar 17, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well I intend to do some experimenting and make a melee FOmar - he will be my first char of this kind - I just hope that this will work.

goku4ever
Mar 18, 2004, 12:22 PM
y do u want a force for meleeing?

Dhylec
Mar 18, 2004, 12:26 PM
On 2004-03-18 09:22, goku4ever wrote:
y do u want a force for meleeing?

most ppl wanna play it for challenge..

Rainbowlemon
Mar 18, 2004, 01:35 PM
Personally I feel that a melee FO-anything is a waste of time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif HUnewearls are best if you want close range combat with good techs. Forces should stick with what they'r emeant to do - It's not like I go around with my HUmar Rabarta spamming, and only hitting occasionally.

oeagrus
Mar 18, 2004, 01:55 PM
Forces should stick with what they'r emeant to do
Wow, and this from someone who just said they like to play Techs with their HUnewearl. Maybe your hunny should just stick to melee'ing, since that's what she is meant to do.

There's a reason why there are FOUR DIFFERENT TYPES of forces. And the FOmar/FOmarl were definately made for just as much melee'ing as your hunny was made for doing techs.

Scales_of_Air
Mar 18, 2004, 09:03 PM
Yes, like oeagrus said, there are four types of Forces for a reason, just as well as there are four types of Rangers and Hunters. I play a melee FOmar, but have no problem integrating techs into my battles. As for sacrificing MST for ATP/ATA? FOmars have horrible ATA, and there higher ATP is a characteristic of the FOmar, since, again, there are FOUR variations of each class. To compensate for lower MST, my Lv. 200 Nidra is 15/15/40/130 to give me a huge boost back into MST while donating a small but helpful boost into DFP and ATP, and getting ATA back up to an average level. With some nice equipment, these Forces that - according to some of the posts here shouldn't fight melee - become very formidable. Also, as I play solo because I lack online capabilities, PBs are quite useful - whether its to Mylla/Youlla, or Pilla a huge pack of enemies, PBs help. Also, the invincibilty given to me by my Nidra is a nice touch.
That wasn't meant to be a gloat of any sort, just my strategy to make a good hybrid FOmar, and prove my point that Forces CAN fight with weapons and magic. Reading over it, it looked kind of... Arrogant. Sorry ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scales_of_Air on 2004-03-22 18:22 ]</font>

Bender202
Mar 18, 2004, 09:32 PM
I'd go with a fonewman melee FO cause:
(over the Fomar/Fomarl/Fonewearl **any1 that uses this char for melee is definitely different**)

HP is 2nd highest
ATP is decent for a FO
ATA is the 2nd highest (by lots)
DFP is about the same
MST is much higher
EVP is 2nd best

_Sinue_
Mar 21, 2004, 10:11 AM
Do FOnewearl.
Hella hard, hella fun.

Eyes level 139 melee FOnewearl. Eyes PSO disc that hasn't been played in three weeks. Hmmm. - answerman

Eyes his lvl 169 FOnewearl.. Hmm... Dammit, you should have gotten the NGC version answer. I've run into a few melee FOnewearls out there.. but never any really GOOD ones. Most of them melee just through forest and then go back to spamming techs. = /

I'd go with a fonewman melee - Bender202

I agree. Melee FOnewmns are potent characters. Expecially if they get into a pinch and have to use their techs to get them out of trouble, since they have bonuses to both Gi and Ra techs. Their ATP, at max, is a little less than 100 ATP behind FOmarl - which isn't that much of a difference. You'll barely notice it at all. The difference is though, that the melee FOnewmn (or FOnewearl) will be an unbalanced character. You'll have to trade off some of your mind to get good results with ATP and DEF early on when it's really useful. FOmarls and FOmars don't really have that problem as their built specifically for those roles and it's reflected in their stat growth.

It's not like I go around with my HUmar Rabarta spamming, and only hitting occasionally. - Antimony

Why not.. I do. HUmars are far less proficent with techs, than FOs are at melee. Even so, and even with a FO in the room, my HUmar is forced to cast RAbarta (to freeze) and cast J/Z or else it just won't get done. Even after the team sees how much easier it is even with my (crappy) support spells - the FO often still won't jump in with his own. This takes up time.. time that I otherwise would be using to kill monsters.

navci
Mar 21, 2004, 02:21 PM
On 2004-03-16 08:40, TheGoldenVoid wrote:
I see no point in meleeing with a Male force. If a Male force equips a weapon, he immediately loses his fast Tech casting bonus. This to me is crazy. I play my FOmar with no weapon equipped...the speed he casts Techs is amazing.

FOmar and FOmarl are built to be hybrid characters, their MST is really quite low if you want to tech-spam you are going to run out of fluids so quick you'll be making fluid-trips a lot. FOmarl has no attack tech boost at all (sans Grants, which you don't use often), online with no attack tech boost, if a FOmarl wanna solo or not in a full team and want to help out with damage she is going to be useless as a tech-only FO. The Human Forces has decent ATP for a very good reason.

As for male FO casting speed, have you tried different weapons for casting? A newm with a rod is very slow, that I agree. FOmars are very quick with rods though. That being said, not like you melee with a rod. Saber animation is very decent and quick, so is daggers, guns a little slower, about the same as slicers. Thing is, you should NOT have to worry about tech casting speed when you are a melee FO. It is not like you're spamming techs, you J/Z then to hack and slash you go! That shouldn't even be an issue. Unless on one condition, you are surrounded and you can't hit them, you can't cast tech because you are a bit slower, well in that case, unequip the weapon, spam techs, and run out of the surroundedness once there is an opening and go back to hack and slash.

Why melee?
It has been said many times, but I might as well say it again. Online, enemy tech resistance is very high. My newm with rafoie, say do like 140ish damage to Sil Dragon, while if I use oh, Diska of Braveman I can dish out 200 plus damage, and my newm isn't original built for meleeing. (meaning, no Pow mats AT ALL). See the point here? It is helpful to have a melee FO in a team, you are going to be sure J/Z is cast at all times, and your FO would actually be DOING DECENT DAMAGE so the enemies will die quicker.

Both offline and online wise a melee FO can be efficient with fluids. Meleeing, I can run through an area with maybe one trifluid... if I were to be tech casting, 10 di, 10 tri and probably still won't be enough. :/

So yes. Make a melee FO. They are a lot of fun to use. And, every FO can be make into a melee FO if you know what you're doing. FOmar and FOmarl has ATP, the newm and newearl has good ATA to make their lower ATP count, and high MST to compensate for using POW/DEX mag) The marl and newm are very sturdy so they can take a hell of a beating.

Last night I played in a team of 4 melee FO. It was so much fun, and we were completely kicking ass. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Mr_Special
Mar 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
agrees with ^

even though my FOnewms Rafoie is rather strong, ~450 dmg, it still takes me about 4 castings to kill a group of enemies. (although i shouldn't have to do all the work by myself)

meanwhile one of my friends playing as a FOmarl could do about 600 dmg with her slicer O_o

i prefer to take advantage of the FOnewms and FOnewearls high MST and tech bonuses by using them for Tech attacks, while using FOmars and FOmarls for physical.

FOmars and FOmarls just aren't very good with techs. :/
well, its not really a bad thing, considering how much damage you do with physical attacks.

one last point: i really don't see why people say that physical FOs are used for the challenge. all you have to do is work on their ATA and they're a breeze.

Daikarin
Mar 21, 2004, 03:01 PM
I once tried to make a melee force myself, so I created a FOmar named John Nash.

FOmars are just too wimpy, at the beggining. I made it to level 20-30 but then I quit. I can't stand their weakness at melee or when taking a hit.

Sayaka
Mar 21, 2004, 03:06 PM
They're definetely decent. I can't really compare them to a Tech FO (considering that I never used one). I have a FOmar and FOmarl, and they can do some major damage. A good weapon later on would be Soul Banish or an S Twin. Start out with Double Saber (they do plenty of damage). A good ID, hmm maybe Redria? I can't help too much with that, I just know they get good armor, and can get some slicers too.

opaopajr
Mar 22, 2004, 12:24 PM
FOmarls make pretty solid wand combat users http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif their animation works better than the acrobatic (though cool) stylings of their newman counterparts.

that's why suggest when making a wand combat base-tech melee force i suggest using FOnewms. it gives you the funky animation, and you don't get the base-tech bonus that FOnewearls get. much challenge.

I also dig FOnewms with rod based combat - they look funny http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Oh, and did I ever mention how cool melee FOmarls look with claws? Gotta try that, it's awesome. Especially with slow traps, god i love getting hit with slow traps with them! wonderful!

Nai_Calus
Mar 22, 2004, 12:45 PM
People bitch about the FOmar's 'low' max MST, when the FOmarl's is actually lower. This amuses the hell out of me. Yes, it's the third highest in the game, it's absolutely horrible(It's not as amusingly pathetic as when people go on and on about the HUnewearl and then slam the HUmar for having 'pathetic' ATP next to the HUcast. Yeah, the second best ATP in the game is just pure shit, isn't it?).

Oooh, you got your FOmar to L30! Nevermind that FOmars don't come into their own until about L_1_30. You cannot judge the FOmar, child, because you have no bloody clue what you're talking about. I doubt you've played with a decent FOmar, either. You need a melee fighter? Sure, lemme grab a POW Mag and the right units and some weapons. You need a support Force? Hang on while I get out my Resta Merge. You need tech damage? I've got that covered too.

I have seen in action awesome examples of just about every class in the game(RAmar excepted). Including all variants of FO. Support FOs, melee FOs... And a properly done melee FO can be a better asset to a team than a teching support FO. Teching FOs tend to forget J/Z or be slow with it. Melee FOs, it's the first thing they do. They're right on top of you so even male FOs have adequete Resta/Anti range. If S/D wears off they renew it immediately because it benefits themselves to do so. They can do just as much damage as a middling-level HU. Do not knock melee FOs until you have used them properly, and seen them in action properly, because until then you are a fool with no idea what you're saying.

I've seen the dreaded melee FOnewearl, BTW. If only HUs were that useful.

KaFKa
Mar 22, 2004, 01:02 PM
Wow, and this from someone who just said they like to play Techs with their HUnewearl. Maybe your hunny should just stick to melee'ing, since that's what she is meant to do.

well, lets see here, kiddo. HUnewearls were made to be able to do anything. just like Ian's 'all around' FOmar. i can take my HUnewearl and do whatever i want to, without switching a thing. nuke the enemies? press the R button. hack and slash? A, B, and X respectively. come on now, think about your reply before you make it. a HUnewearl can tech just as well as she can hack. this coming from someone who has a level 200 HUnewearl.

i've seen a melee FO done right, and yes, they are quite good for their lousy ATP. although their frontline ability leaves something to be desired when compared to a HU, they are quite capable of taking out singluar enemies.

Mr_Special
Mar 22, 2004, 05:57 PM
On 2004-03-22 09:45, Ian-KunX wrote:
People bitch about the FOmar's 'low' max MST, when the FOmarl's is actually lower.

well, the FOmarl may have lower MST, but all her specialties, save Grants, are in support, so using her as a Physical attacker is the most common choice.

meanwhile, every now and then you see some FOmars trying to do Tech-Only, and they usually aren't very good at it because their specialties are in Mid Techs. Most enemies are weak against Fire, and Gifoie is rather slow... but its still fun filling entire rooms with flames http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FOmars for Mixed are good,
FOmars for Physical only are awesome,
FOmars for Techs only... are "OK".

'course, FOnewearls and FOnewms are the best Tech users, no doubt about it, highest MST scores, and you can get +100% Foie and +90% Rafoie respectively http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Scales_of_Air
Mar 22, 2004, 08:55 PM
People bitch about the FOmar's 'low' max MST, when the FOmarl's is actually lower. This amuses the hell out of me. Yes, it's the third highest in the game, it's absolutely horrible(It's not as amusingly pathetic as when people go on and on about the HUnewearl and then slam the HUmar for having 'pathetic' ATP next to the HUcast. Yeah, the second best ATP in the game is just pure shit, isn't it?).

Oooh, you got your FOmar to L30! Nevermind that FOmars don't come into their own until about L_1_30. You cannot judge the FOmar, child, because you have no bloody clue what you're talking about. I doubt you've played with a decent FOmar, either. You need a melee fighter? Sure, lemme grab a POW Mag and the right units and some weapons. You need a support Force? Hang on while I get out my Resta Merge. You need tech damage? I've got that covered too.

I have seen in action awesome examples of just about every class in the game(RAmar excepted). Including all variants of FO. Support FOs, melee FOs... And a properly done melee FO can be a better asset to a team than a teching support FO. Teching FOs tend to forget J/Z or be slow with it. Melee FOs, it's the first thing they do. They're right on top of you so even male FOs have adequete Resta/Anti range. If S/D wears off they renew it immediately because it benefits themselves to do so. They can do just as much damage as a middling-level HU. Do not knock melee FOs until you have used them properly, and seen them in action properly, because until then you are a fool with no idea what you're saying.

I've seen the dreaded melee FOnewearl, BTW. If only HUs were that useful.

Go Ian! Hahahahahaha! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Excellent point, well-said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scales_of_Air on 2004-03-22 18:38 ]</font>

punkasssss
Mar 22, 2004, 09:16 PM
I always thought that if you want to melee fight and use techs, Hunewerl is the way to go. I never really tried making a meelee fo, but I just never saw them doing much damage. I am more the kind of person who wants to make one strength as good as it can be though, so I always stuck with the newman fo's, except I made a FOmarl because I wanted her to be able to use Rico's earings. heh heh

DHammeR
Mar 23, 2004, 10:47 PM
i had a melee FOmar, he did pretty decent for his level, i'd recommend a FOmar because you can make them look so cool http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

(Mine was really short with the yellow and black suit and the pointy triangle hat that bobbles when u walk, super cool ;])

oeagrus
Mar 24, 2004, 01:37 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, lets see here, kiddo. HUnewearls were made to be able to do anything. just like Ian's 'all around' FOmar. i can take my HUnewearl and do whatever i want to, without switching a thing. nuke the enemies? press the R button. hack and slash? A, B, and X respectively. come on now, think about your reply before you make it. a HUnewearl can tech just as well as she can hack. this coming from someone who has a level 200 HUnewearl.

i've seen a melee FO done right, and yes, they are quite good for their lousy ATP. although their frontline ability leaves something to be desired when compared to a HU, they are quite capable of taking out singluar enemies.

Damn, Kafka, if I mailed you a quarter, would you at least go *buy* yourself a clue? If you READ the quote I responded to, the person was saying that FO's should just cast techs and not melee. Afterwards they went on about how they can do both with their HUnewearl.

My response was SARCASM, you halfwit. I was saying that maybe their hunny should just melee and not cast techs if they feel that FO's should just cast techs and not melee. See my point?? No? Okay, let me put it in kindergarten terms...

I know the power of HUnewearls. My hunny is 164 and she kicks arss. Actually, she is so comparable to my 182 FOmarl that I sometimes forget which one I'm using lol! They both melee and they're both a blast to play. Hunny's have excellent techs, and FOmarls have great melee potential. I'm sorry your peanut-brain couldn't comprehend my post.