PDA

View Full Version : College Acceptance Responses?

hollowtip
Mar 16, 2004, 05:13 AM
Since it's that time for high school seniors to start receiving college acceptance responses, I was wondering what colleges some of you may have gotten accepted to attend.

My girlfriend just received accepted enrollment from UCLA, UCD, and UC Irvine.

She is awaiting responses from UCSD, UCB, and UCSB.

out of 49,000 applying freshman, she was one of 3,900 that got accepted for the fall 2004 semester at UCLA. She was very ecstatic, and I'm extremely proud of her. I love her so much.

Dangerous55
Mar 16, 2004, 12:18 PM
I only plan on applying to 2.

Alvernia and Penn State Schuylkill.

Should get in to both, not sure what one I am gonna go to.

Ness
Mar 16, 2004, 01:53 PM
I'll probably apply early to about 10 colleges. I plan on applying to MIT, Caltech, UTD, UT, Texas A & M, Berkeley, and probably some other ones.

Myopathy
Mar 16, 2004, 02:41 PM
When I applied back a couple years ago, I pretty much went all out and applyed to A LOT of places.

ACCEPTED
Rice University (Where I ended up going)
University of Texas at Austin
Texas A&M University at College Station
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Georgia Tech
Carnegie Mellon University
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Purdue University
University of California at Berkeley
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Texas - Pan American (PoS school, but our school required everyone to apply here since it was local)

WAITLISTED
California Institute of Technology (Wow, I was expecting to get smacked hard by CalTech)
University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (WTF...can you say racial quota?)

REJECTED
MIT (Eh...was expected)
Stanford (Read above)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-03-16 19:01 ]</font>

goku4ever
Mar 16, 2004, 03:13 PM
screw college im going to sixth form where i will study history, maths, chemistry and biology

Zaneatron
Mar 16, 2004, 03:38 PM
College is what they call University in the US, goku, and College in the UK is high school in the US.

and college is much better anyway, you dont have to put up with little fucktards always questioning your authority, and what your "beef" is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaneatron on 2004-03-16 12:39 ]</font>

Outrider
Mar 16, 2004, 03:44 PM
At first, I only applied to two state schools. I was gonna go apply to other schools, but then I got into the SUNYs. So I just went "meh" to the entire thing and picked one of them.

Yeah, I uh... didn't really do my best at trying to find the right college for me.

I sometimes hate my school... why the &$@^# is it snowing!?

Solstis
Mar 16, 2004, 04:16 PM
Me being incredibly optimistic, I applied for one college. I did early acceptance to UF (university of florida) and got in.

I probably could've gotten into a diff. school but, hey, UF is the best public university in florida.

HAHAHAHHA!

Nai_Calus
Mar 16, 2004, 05:15 PM
Eh. I'm just going to the local community college. I didn't bother to apply anywhere, what the hell is the point? California kept me in shitty alternative schools from 5th grade to Senior year that I only got out of because we moved out of state. Got mostly Bs and Cs and a few Ds. Didn't give a shit. You can only read the same 10-year out of date textbook so many times before you come to the conclusion that school is an utter bullshit waste of time. I only got a 1380 on the SAT anyway, so feh. Miserable 620 on math and only 760 on verbal. Grr. And I got a B in chorus senior year to contrast the rest of the As I got that year because my teacher hated me. -_-; Yeah, fuck that. Who gives a shit anyway?

And you're just as likely to have teachers stupider than you anyhow. I got stuck in two classes this semester that aren't in any way related to my major because I didn't declare it until after they gave them to me. One of them the teacher is an absolute moron. She has to look at the book to answer questions and she's just plain nasty. I'm gonna fail the class unless I drop it because 1: I don't give a flying fuck about Microsoft Access, and am thus horribly behind. and 2: Since I don't care, I don't bother to waste the brainpower to figure out what the hell the poorly-written textbook wants me to do. I don't bother asking questions, because the teacher is an idiot and also as I mentioned, nasty and rude. So screw it. The utterly sad thing is that if I actually CARED, I could probably learn more about this in a week than she knows and run rings around her. But I don't. So hell on it.

Can you tell I'm a bit jaded on the education system? Just a little.

ladyjaderiver
Mar 16, 2004, 09:46 PM
I got accepted at the only place my mom actually sent the application I spent hours filling out to: the Illinois Institute of Art in Schaumburg. I'll be going there in October, and majoring in Video Game Art and Design.

RicoRoyal
Mar 16, 2004, 11:36 PM
On 2004-03-16 14:15, Ian-KunX wrote:
I only got a 1380 on the SAT anyway, so feh. Miserable 620 on math and only 760 on verbal.
That's it? HAHAHAHA, your lamer than FDR's legs. (Anyone catch a hint of sarcasm yet?). No, seriously, is that what you got?

Nai_Calus
Mar 17, 2004, 04:30 AM
On 2004-03-16 20:36, RC4 wrote:

I only got a 1380 on the SAT anyway, so feh. Miserable 620 on math and only 760 on verbal.
That's it? HAHAHAHA, your lamer than FDR's legs. (Anyone catch a hint of sarcasm yet?). No, seriously, is that what you got?

Yes. I shouldn't have tried to answer those Geometry questions when I've never had it a day in my life. I got 9 of them right, but I also got 5 wrong. >_< Meh.

And there was a question on the verbal with words I'd never seen before, which irked me to death. I don't come across unknown words much. >_<; Bleh. A 1400 wouldn't have been as cruddy.

Myopathy
Mar 17, 2004, 05:57 AM

The SAT is only a good measure of a person's ability and aptitude if nobody studied for it. But since ANYONE can go and get a 1500+ on the test if they just studied enough, I don't think it's very necessary, and shouldn't play a very big role in admissions. Standardized testing is only "standardarized" if everyone is on an equal playing field, which is hardly the case when it comes to the SAT, or the ACT for that matter.

BTW, 1380 is a fairly decent SAT score. It is above average, and all but the highest ranking colleges would see that as a very good SAT score.

Outrider
Mar 17, 2004, 10:03 AM
On 2004-03-17 02:57, Ezellaur wrote:

The SAT is only a good measure of a person's ability and aptitude if nobody studied for it. But since ANYONE can go and get a 1500+ on the test if they just studied enough, I don't think it's very necessary, and shouldn't play a very big role in admissions. Standardized testing is only "standardarized" if everyone is on an equal playing field, which is hardly the case when it comes to the SAT, or the ACT for that matter.

BTW, 1380 is a fairly decent SAT score. It is above average, and all but the highest ranking colleges would see that as a very good SAT score.

You're really not supposed to study for it? Sweet. I took the test the right way, then. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For the record, I took it and got a 1280. My parents then had me take it again after a few weeks of this free SAT class my school offered. My score? 1280, with the exact same breakdown. Heh.

goku4ever
Mar 17, 2004, 11:57 AM
On 2004-03-16 12:38, Zaneatron wrote:
College is what they call University in the US, goku, and College in the UK is high school in the US.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zaneatron on 2004-03-16 12:39 ]</font>

Wow thats wierd... soo confusing...

shifter
Mar 17, 2004, 12:00 PM
its been a few years(three), but here it go's. i mainly tryed to stay local, i applied to Temple, U. of Deleware, Lehigh, Drexel, Tuskegee and Penn State. Unfortunatly for me the only ones i got into were Temple and Tuskegee, i had gotten into U. of Deleware but they ran out of housing. im in Tuskegee cause my mom suggested that since i got a scolarship(small one, just 3k a year) i should go there. i did and have regreted it ever since, word to the wise, take the college tour.

RicoRoyal
Mar 17, 2004, 01:50 PM
On 2004-03-17 01:30, Ian-KunX wrote:

Yes. I shouldn't have tried to answer those Geometry questions when I've never had it a day in my life. I got 9 of them right, but I also got 5 wrong. >_< Meh.

And there was a question on the verbal with words I'd never seen before, which irked me to death. I don't come across unknown words much. >_<; Bleh. A 1400 wouldn't have been as cruddy.

Errrr.... I guess you missed the sarcasm in my comment. 1380 IS NOT A CRUDDY SCORE!!! It's out of 1600 for f**ks sake! Like Ezellaur said, that score is already above average. You do realize the average doesnt even come close to 1000? (at least a year ago when I took the test). Why didn't you try harder to get into a "good" university? I have tons of friends like you who didn't even try and went straight for the community college. Was it the money? If it was, then I understand. But with a score like that on SAT i'm sure you could have applied for some sort of scholarship. With a 1380, you could have applied to any CSU and gotten accepted. Same goes for most UC schools. I got a 1190 (which I actually thought was pretty okay considering I didn't prepare), and that was enough to get me into Cal Poly Pomona. Heck, because of that score (which I guess you would consider to be the shittiest score ever) I didn't even have to take the entrance english and math exams. My point is you should have tried harder, and you shouldnt have thought so poorly of yourself.

Oh, and as to your complaint about shitty teachers in community college... get used to it. Things only get worse in University. I swear, my math teacher spends half the class time stu-stut-turing in front of the class. After finishing an example problem in 20 minutes that should have actually taken 2, he procedes to ask "Uh,uh, is there any Calculus students here? uh uh... can you check my work... make sure that I'm right". (this was in a precal class). It getsss sooo much worse, but since this is Off Topic forum and not the rant forum, I will stop.

To recap, you f'd up. Never give up without a try is what I'm really trying to say. If you ever think you have even the slightest chance to advance in something, take it! 1380... gawd, it pisses me off just to hear you complain about a score that I would have loved to have had.

Ooops, and so as to stay back on topic: I also applied (and got accepted) to University of San Diego, CSU Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach. I was about to apply to USC before I realized "ha! yeah right! like that's going to happen...". See, Ian, now that there would be a tough school to get into. I didn't apply to UCs cause I just plain don't like them... but I'm sure I would have gotten accepted to one or another *cough*Irvine*cough.

RuneLateralus
Mar 17, 2004, 05:24 PM
Never took the SAT. Only the ACT. Took it once and got a 21 (average for my school, so I took it).

I applied to three colleges: Northern Illinios University, University of St. Francis, and Columbia College Chicago. St. Francis was just a third school to apply to make my parents happy. I really didn't care for what I saw. NIU was nice, but Columbia impressed me the most (only problem is that I had to stay at home and I wanted to move out). Turns out Columbia was the best choice. A lot of students in the art program transfered out due to poor classes and over competive courses/programs. Plus, they were only offering Flash. I wanted to learn stuff like Maya and XSI.