PDA

View Full Version : Does the end open up the possibilites for an Episode IV?

Pancake
Mar 17, 2004, 09:45 PM
Ok, I know Naka said that this would be the last instalment in the Phantasy Star ONLINE series but from what I have heard the ending opens up alot of possibilites for a sequal. I know some people have said stuff about a PS game for PS2 (Sega wouldn't put it on PS2...) but I still believe Naka may release another one...What are your thoughts?

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 17, 2004, 09:46 PM
I thought he said it was the end of all phantasy star.

Maddux
Mar 17, 2004, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's over.

KodiaX987
Mar 17, 2004, 10:10 PM
PSO is for the most part considered separate from the rest of the PS universe, so if a new PS game comes up, it will be in a context other than PSO.

Kupi
Mar 17, 2004, 10:48 PM
Well, I know that there are remakes of the originals in the works for PS2, and I remember hearing that this is simply the last in this current PSO plotline. If there's going to be another PSO, it'll be in a different continuity.

punkasssss
Mar 17, 2004, 11:03 PM
Sega Ages has been released in Japan, part of the Sega Ages group includes remakes of the original Phantasy Star, and I think they are going to do PS2 and PS4 also along with other classic sega hits. They are all being released on the Playstaion 2.

Majadamus
Mar 17, 2004, 11:17 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I read in an interview that Sega plans to end the PSO series for good after EP3. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif That's what I read somewhere. You've probably already heard about it, but, heh, you still believe in another PSO. It's ok to have hope.

psojohndoe2
Mar 17, 2004, 11:52 PM
I believe it was said that PSO Ep.3 ends the Ragol/Rico/Flowen arc. That's all. There won't be a PSO Ep.4. There is always a possiblity of PSO 2 (Not Episode 2, PSO 2), but if there is, it probably wouldn't be on Ragol, and no Rico story. A moderator should make a topic w/ all the facts and sticky it in the ep.3 General forum, cuz this one keeps popping up all the time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Pancake
Mar 18, 2004, 12:20 AM
I never want to say goodbye to PSO...It has become a huge part of my life over the last few years, when the time comes and the series ends (which I guess it has) it will be very sad http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DeathCheese87
Mar 18, 2004, 12:26 AM
I read that he said this was the end of the Ragol series.

Eh, I might be wrong.

navci
Mar 18, 2004, 12:38 AM
End of the Ragol Trilogy, no? So if anything new happens it prolly will take place in a very different world with different ... stuff.

Arislan
Mar 18, 2004, 01:00 AM
And those of us that dig for connections will likely find just as many in the new series, whatever platform it ends up on likely Cube/Xbox or it's next gen counterparts, Naka has stated that he doesn't like developing for the PS2).

Pancake
Mar 18, 2004, 01:40 AM
I know what Naka said (Sadly) but mabey he changed his mind! Wouldn't that be great?

navci
Mar 18, 2004, 01:57 AM
On 2004-03-17 22:40, Episode3 wrote:
I know what Naka said (Sadly) but mabey he changed his mind! Wouldn't that be great?

I don't know about changing his mind tho. A lot of people wanted NiGHTs 2, it never came out.. he never changed his mind about it.

Arislan
Mar 18, 2004, 01:59 AM
I'm of the camp of last Ragol game, although with how Ep3 ends, another could be made. I'd like for any of the people that state that Naka said that this was the end of PS to stand up and show me a scan of the article/interview where this was stated.

And do note as well, that just because a producer says that the game is the last in that series doesn't mean it is. Mortal Kombat 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 2, all had these "promises", all turned over when the chance for money off an established line could not be passed up.

Pancake
Mar 18, 2004, 02:04 AM
I think I read it in the EGM with the Sonic Heros Cover.

Para
Mar 18, 2004, 02:24 AM
I read in the interview in Nintendo Power that it is the end of the Ragol//RRR//Flowen//Falz Saga. Though I really would love to see the PS series to continue for GC and future Nintendo consoles since Nintendo does need abit more rpg.

FO-RA-HUnightv
Mar 18, 2004, 04:51 AM
well one thing i heard is that from the game it drops hints like pioner 3 is comeing
so it is most likely that pioneer 3 is going to be the new setting like if you notic in ep 1 and 2 in ult mode you on ragol in pioneer 2

plus i think there going to try to get the ps old school feel with a online base kinda more mmorpg

RedFox
Mar 18, 2004, 07:44 AM
a complete revamp of the series is needed, we still have many of the original DC character/enemy models and levels in use on the GC and xbox.

we also need a MUCH better thought out storyline. Ep.II's storyline was a cool departure but pretty much made from nothing and answered practically none of the questions that many wanted answered from Ep.I (like what the hell happened to everybody!!??!??)

I know almost nothing abour Ep.III so i cant comment on that.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

A real PSO2 with all new graphics,revised gameplay mechanics, a more MMORPG feel and a storyline which answers more of the questions that it opens up would be very welcome

By the way i do love PSO but i feel that these are points which should have been addressed when PSO was first brought to the GC

Malkavian
Mar 18, 2004, 09:45 AM
On 2004-03-18 04:44, RedFox wrote:

we also need a MUCH better thought out storyline. Ep.II's storyline was a cool departure but pretty much made from nothing and answered practically none of the questions that many wanted answered from Ep.I (like what the hell happened to everybody!!??!??)

Everybody died. Either by the huge explosion or by all the infected living beings of Ragol and experiments of Dr.osto.
And there is the stupid theory that the monsters stole all Pioneer 1 stuff and thats why they drop stuff hehe

navci
Mar 18, 2004, 03:54 PM
On 2004-03-18 04:44, RedFox wrote:
I know almost nothing abour Ep.III so i cant comment on that.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ep 3 has a very complete story... unlike I and II.

subzero1313
Mar 18, 2004, 06:45 PM
from wht Ive read, this is the end of the rico/flowen story. After this we'll get a real PSO 2. And the part about this being the end of PSO, was a bad translation...

-Nate

Rock_Lee
Mar 18, 2004, 07:24 PM
On 2004-03-17 22:00, Arislan wrote:
Naka has stated that he doesn't like developing for the PS2).

And the funny thing is Astroboy is probably one of the best (looking & playing) Sonic Team games in years.....

I think PSO needs to die in it's current form(s). A graphics upgrade is definitely needed. It's not that the graphics are bad.... It's just that they are basically the same same graphics as PSO on the DC. Episode 3 is a cool departure, but even it needs some fixing up to be truly great. I would love to see a new PSO, but only if it's in a new format. If not, then I think it's best the series dies with episode 3.

On a side note I also want a true Phantasy Star rpg sequel........

FlamingWars
Mar 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
Episode IV? Nah.

Like some say, PSO 2 probably..? I hope there is a continue of PSO I don't mind about the storyline. Maybe PSO 2 will take place +3000 more in the future http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Would be cool if they put a time machine in there, traveling around through time-space. XD (thinks about chrono trigger) Anyways, At that point maybe it's a new civilization or something, and they've recently discovered, uhh... ... Dark matter? lol I dunno http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif could always dream

Kanore
Mar 19, 2004, 11:30 AM
On 2004-03-19 08:21, FlamingWars wrote:
Episode IV? Nah.

Like some say, PSO 2 probably..? I hope there is a continue of PSO I don't mind about the storyline. Maybe PSO 2 will take place +3000 more in the future http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Would be cool if they put a time machine in there, traveling around through time-space. XD (thinks about chrono trigger) Anyways, At that point maybe it's a new civilization or something, and they've recently discovered, uhh... ... Dark matter? lol I dunno http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif could always dream

No, should be about 979 years from EP3, which means Falz is back.

Pancake
Mar 21, 2004, 12:27 AM
Yea I would love it if we got another PSO with Falz. Mabey this time the people have finally fouund a way to live on Ragol? Well, 975 years orbiting the planet is kinda long... but hey anything could happen.

Nai_Calus
Mar 21, 2004, 05:19 AM
I hope there is an Ep4 or PSO2, for the series to end with Ep3 is just an utterly disgusting thought. -_-;

Anyone else irked by the fact that the graphics seem to have gone -down- from Ep1&2? Compared to Ep1&2, the lobbies and the like look like crap, and what the HELL is with the shadows? >_<;;;

kingmurp
Mar 21, 2004, 09:00 AM
The possiblilty of all the other ships that could have came from the home world, and the fact that maybe they could've established somewhere, and maybe the premise could be the next pioneer ship vs another civilization. But then again I wanted nights 2.

_Sinue_
Mar 21, 2004, 11:17 AM
Anyone else irked by the fact that the graphics seem to have gone -down- from Ep1&2? Compared to Ep1&2, the lobbies and the like look like crap, and what the HELL is with the shadows? - Ian-KunX

They have gone downhill. I'm playing it on VGA, and there is a very noticable difference in clarity and color depth. Also.. what REALLY irks me.. is that the cutscene graphics for the Sega Ages Phantasy Star remakes are by far and away much better than Ep III's. Ep III cutscene windows are small, bland, and grainy. However Phantasy Star 1's cutscenes are extremely bright and livid with color. They actually look like animation cells from a feature film.. and are full screen also. Alissa has never looked better (and cuter).

http://www.algol-star-system.net/data-memory/psg1_screenies/phantasystar_090203_015.jpg

As far as Phantasy Star Online 2 (or Ep IV) for that matter goes.. they can leave the series dead for all I care if this is the kind of butchery we can expect from the series from here on out. As a game itself, Ep III is good, but the storyline (throughout the entire series) has seriously been lacking. They really need Pheonix Rei (Reiko Kodama) back on the team - expecially if they do an offline Phantasy Star 5. The guys at Phantasy-Star.net argue enough as it is.. they don't need Sonic Team's craptacular storytelling skills to egg them on even more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Sinue_ on 2004-03-21 08:19 ]</font>