PDA

View Full Version : switching to melee/tech FOmar... a bit confused >.

Zeroy
Mar 18, 2004, 08:36 AM
well im REALLY thinking of switching my main char to a melee/tech FOmar, but im confused of how to start the guy. do i just melee with the stupid cane or cast Foie/Zonde until im a higher level?

EDIT: sorry i think i posted this in the wrong forum without knowing it. just realized http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-18 05:40 ]</font>

Dhylec
Mar 18, 2004, 09:16 AM
melee fo's are built to do what they aren't meant to do - use weps more than techs..
so to accommodate that you built them like hu's or ra's
there are many things can be done, but i'll point out some obvious..
fomar's biggest drawback is the lack of ata needed in ult.. also the number of melee weps are more limited than others..
so find think of ways to male up for what he lacks of.. like mag, equipment, etc..

rising_sunset
Mar 18, 2004, 10:22 AM
Dhylec is right. Meleeing a FO isn't hard it's just that you have lack of things to help you. So if you want to switch to meleeing get yourself a POW mag instead of a MIND one. Then collect some of the basic meleeing weapons. In this case all your FO weps will be rendered useless. For example get a double saber, s-ranked twin, soul banish, some kind of gun but preferably a mechgun. These will help you melee the FO. So do not use any tech except maybe just for anti/resta/reverser/s&d/j&z. If you are good you won't even need s&d j&z. But keep one thing in mind. Your character is a FO and no matter how you melee him/her they will never become as powerful as a HU or RA. So later you might want to switch back...up to you!

oeagrus
Mar 18, 2004, 10:48 AM
If you are good you won't even need s&d j&z
Whoa, I don't agree with that statement! By using S/D and J/Z, you'll not only increase the melee damage dealt significantly, but you'll take less damage when that Dubchic or whatever pummels you. Meleeing forces need Jellen at the very least!

I'm not saying they're absolutely 100% always needed, I'm just saying that a good melee force can use these effects to great advantage.

rising_sunset
Mar 19, 2004, 12:21 AM
if you are a "melee" FO. You shouldn't use any techs at all. That really also includes healing, cure status and reviving techs. Since melee means really no TP use like an android perhaps. Thats when the meleeing gets challenging! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

navci
Mar 19, 2004, 02:01 AM
On 2004-03-18 07:22, carolsdegga wrote:
If you are good you won't even need s&d j&z.

..... You can't be serious are you? A melee FO is only possible and versatile because they have S/D/J/Z 30 at their disposal, which is going to make up for lower ATP and DEF. If I meet a FO online meleeing without S/D/J/Z I am almost going to assume that is a n00b who probably also have has a HUmar with 300% BKB or something. [/stereotype]

Anyone who has ever played a melee FO (or a FO http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) knows that these are things that keep you alive. Never, ever, walk into a room with enemy without these casted. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

if you are a "melee" FO. You shouldn't use any techs at all. That really also includes healing, cure status and reviving techs. Since melee means really no TP use like an android perhaps. Thats when the meleeing gets challenging!

Since all the non-andriod characters all melee or shoot things with gun, they shouldn't be using Resta or Anti. Instead they should let themselves beat into a red pile of goo. .... Either you are joking (if you are, I apologize) or you have a very different definition of what meleeing is about.

To the original poster, I think you got all you need to know from Dhylec about melee FOs. Get yourself a Pow/Dex mag, some decent weapons with good hits.
Recommanded weapons include, Soul Eater (or Banish, for the human forces), Red Saber, Pan Arm's blades, Twin Chakram, Victor Axe, Rainbow Baton ... well, basically any weapons you can actually equip that addes a decent amount of ATP.

AND ALWAYS S/D/J/Z. ALWAYS.

rising_sunset
Mar 19, 2004, 08:36 AM
Actually I do have a melee FO right now. And I don't use any techs other then resta and I seem to be surviving fine. Maybe it's because that character is still in vhard, but the double saber, and s-ranked saber are PWNing the enemies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif and other weps navi mentioned as well.

PJ
Mar 19, 2004, 09:47 AM
When your melee Force gets to a really high level, you can have fun using some weaker weapons in the really hard stages (Like Game Magazine) in offline Ultimate, only because of that S/D/J/Z backing you up ^_-

I'd suggest levelling up as a casting Force, then when you have a strong enough POW mag, start meleeing. If you are inaccurate enough get a God/Arm or 2, or get a weapon with hit %s (1 or the other... geeze you don't need both to hit an enemy, even with the FOmar's terrible ATA!)

Slicers are fun to use, and since I've started hunting a Psycho Wand with my melee FOmar (Yes, I even melee with Force weapons http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif), the Red Slicer has been a great help!

EDIT: Grammar Check!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SUPAH_CHAO on 2004-03-19 06:48 ]</font>

navci
Mar 19, 2004, 02:11 PM
On 2004-03-19 05:36, carolsdegga wrote:
Actually I do have a melee FO right now. And I don't use any techs other then resta and I seem to be surviving fine. Maybe it's because that character is still in vhard, but the double saber, and s-ranked saber are PWNing the enemies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif and other weps navi mentioned as well.

In Ultimate, even a HUcast benefit greatly from S/D/J/Z.

XeNoCiDe
Mar 19, 2004, 02:17 PM
ya ok i have an awesome melee fomar but my bets advice is use techs until vhard or just hard get a good level with some good melle weapons and go kick ass and i dunno what all of you are saying or one of you but what the hell you have resta and anti and of course s/d/j/z 30 go ahead and use em at your disposal like really

ViewtifulJoe
Mar 20, 2004, 12:34 AM
Me have good idea. No melee forces. There's another thread somewhere that talks bout this lvl 90 melee FOmar who got pwned on Forest ult. I told him the truth, that my tech Fomar was kicking ass on forest at lvl 60. Not worth it, seriously. That's on ult though. It's okay to melee before ult. Definitely on normal. Fomars don't have the tp to blow stuff up with spells so early. But gradually move to techs. If you're really not sure though, balance your materials and train a mind mag and a power mag.

navci
Mar 20, 2004, 02:24 PM
On 2004-03-19 21:34, ViewtifulJoe wrote:
There's another thread somewhere that talks bout this lvl 90 melee FOmar who got pwned on Forest ult.

I think a lot of people doesn't really know you shouldn't be meleeing in Ult until you are fairly high leveled. My newm start meleeing in Forest at 120ish, and any lower than that would prolly get you completely splattered.

Many people have melee-FO, but it seems like not everyone knows what they are doing when they melee with their FO. _Sinue_ and answerman would actually be expert in melee FOing, they both have melee FOnewearls that kick ass.

FO are supposed to be for advanced players, melee FO, even more so. :|

LoreSeeker
Mar 20, 2004, 02:32 PM
It's possible to melee in ult at a low level, you just need to use S&D/J&Z a lot. By using the support techs, you'll save yourself HP, TP, and a lot of time. You can save HP because you won't get owned as quickly by enemy attacks. TP is saved because you won't need to cast resta every 10 seconds or use any attack techs. Time is saved because you'll be able to tear through the weakened enemies in no time.

It is my opinion that a FO is defined as a melee FO when their primary method of killing enemies is through weapons, not techs. Since S&D/J&Z aren't actively killing the enemies, a FO can use those techs and still be classified as a melee FO.

opaopajr
Mar 21, 2004, 03:08 AM
melee forces are fun. but they do take some time to get used to. don't expect to "pwn" (whatever the hell that is) the battlefield so easily.

i myself have played with these (fun!) artificial restrictions building up challenge. sometimes a few handicaps is what you need to really enjoy the game again.

that said, i take it (assumption) you aren't gonna switch characters and build a new one that is a strict melee force. if you do so, and have used any materials as of yet (don't worry, it's ok), then don't worry so much about waiting until you are in ult. or any of these other restrictions.

just go have fun, and start getting used to fighting like a melee force. that means building up a POW focussed mag, get some quality weapons (double saber in the lower difficulties is a great start) and hop to it. practice as much as you can. play with different weapon styles. learn the animation times with your FOmar. learn how to reliably switch out styles from mechgun, double saber, handgun, and slicer. this early practice will serve you well later.

i myself would probably suggest tacking on a useful attack spell onto your hotkeys just to soften the mobs up as they approach before taking them out melee style. this allows you to take advantage of your asset (a lot of spells!) to buffer your learning of "FO fu." i'd probably do as an early setup as:

[area-related attack spell]/normal/strong
jellen/resta/zalure

it'll make the going a lot faster on your way to ult. while still learning how to best utilize the FOmar style of melee.

and remember, this is just for fun, for those jaded of us who need something to keep this game fresh. like unbuffed wand combat and simple attack spells... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Eihwaz
Mar 21, 2004, 05:10 AM
On 2004-03-20 11:24, navi wrote:
I think a lot of people doesn't really know you shouldn't be meleeing in Ult until you are fairly high leveled. My newm start meleeing in Forest at 120ish, and any lower than that would prolly get you completely splattered.

Many people have melee-FO, but it seems like not everyone knows what they are doing when they melee with their FO. _Sinue_ and answerman would actually be expert in melee FOing, they both have melee FOnewearls that kick ass.

FO are supposed to be for advanced players, melee FO, even more so. :|

I tend to disagree, Navi.

My melee FOmar does very well in Ultimate Forest, and he's only level 74. He can do okay with an NPC meatshield in Caves.

His current gear is as follows:
Red Saber, Soul Eater, Red Handgun, Spirit Vulcans with 35% Hit. All fully ground. Spirit Garment, with 2 God/Arms, and 2 Dragon/HPs. Attribute Wall, and Rati with stats of (5/125/70/0).

Typical strategy. I load his level, cast Deband and Shifta. Walk into room, cast Z/J. Splatter enemies. Collect items. Rinse, repeat. He will rarely die in Forest from Hildelts and critical hit...all he needs is a Red Ring, and Pan Arm's Blades/Morning Glory, and of course Holy Ray.

I need to finish his Material diet...

In conclusion, I'd like to say that Navi's in general right about FOrces, or even melee FOrces. Before you try a melee FOrce, try a regular tech-casting FOrce. It'll get you used to FOrce strategy and stuff. I wouldn't reccomend starting with a melee FOrce first, I don't think it'll end well...>.>;

lain2k3
Mar 21, 2004, 08:51 AM
heheheh, you're disagreeing, but thats mostlikely the cause of the RED RING you mentioned in there...they kinda make melee FOing easier than hunter meleeing.

Anyways, you guys are slow, My melee Fomarl was pwning ult mines at level 79. She is currently pwning temple, spaceship, and ruins at level 102.
[/FOmarls are better]

The only way Id choose FOmar over FOmarl is if, like the above poster I find no shame in using a duped red ring, and if I was planning on casting more often than melee.

and even in both of those cases, I would choose FOnewm instead of FOmar. [/FOmars suck]

navci
Mar 21, 2004, 02:07 PM
.... ONLINE, I really wouldn't recommand meleeing under level 100 unless you want your teammate to hate you and refuse to help your ass when you need it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zeroy
Mar 23, 2004, 07:19 PM
well thanks for the suggestions... and navi if you read closer it says "melee/tech," which i meant as "half melee half tech." when i get online, ill melee some, cast some, and support my allies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Yes, i am just now replying to this topic after not reading it for a week http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeroy on 2004-03-23 16:19 ]</font>

lain2k3
Mar 23, 2004, 10:42 PM
=/ only problem with whatyou said is that you CANT tech spam online. It wont do anything, unless you're in the seabed with high level megid. enemy resiatance are REDICOULOUS online. tech damage is cut in thirds online.

Zeroy
Mar 25, 2004, 05:15 PM
ive got lv 22 Megid in the bank that my HUmar found, will that work?